Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Cog posted:

Welp, stumbled across an area with a holotape describing a guy getting his family into his homemade bunker in lieu of the bombs falling. Dug around a bit and found it, it contained 2 adult skeletons and this:

Some of the environmental stories in this game can be pretty depressing.

(Pay no attention to the still burning candles)

I found a skeleton in a dress spanking a skeleton in a sweater vest with a cutting board in an outhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So is there a hard cap on what settlements have people on it and which one now can only be taken by a faction? Because I sure as poo poo ain't giving the railroad a loving Island with a lot of space to be their Mercer Safehouse.

Or at least trade them something like that alley way settlement.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Reveilled posted:

ending spoilers railroad/institute

I don't really see the Railroad's focus on synths as a shortcoming, though, unless you are only going to measure "best ending" as "ending with the highest marginal likelihood of a rebuilt civilization, regardless of the actual chance of that happening." And having gone through the Institute and the Railroad's quests until the last moment where you have to pick between the two, I came out of the Institute not believing for one minute that any of the lofty goals of helping the surface your character can potentially express were actually going to happen. The reaction of the people around the institute very much left me with the impression that one day my character would try to relay back to the institute to find the locks had been changed while I was out, and my clothes and records dumped in a basket in the CIT ruins to collect. I doubt any of the quest endings have any significant chance of fixing the commonwealth, and so the Railroad's ending, I think, is the best ending (in the sense of "does the greatest good"), because all the named bad guys are dead and the slaves are all free, and that's the best you can hope for out of all the choices.

A large amount of :words: dealing with conversation tree content and terminal content:

If you befriend Shaun and start calling him out on his behavior over the past sixty years he'll admit that yeah, the Institute's big problem is that for all their scientific achievements they don't share them with anyone. He also very grudgingly admits that they really hosed up on analyzing a lot of the problems they had to deal with when it came to the stuff they did reveal. Pretty much every scientific development that they've let loose into the Commonwealth has only been a net negative for its people. And most of that was the result of them not really getting how the people of the Commonwealth think or have to deal with day to day life.

The FEV virus getting loose was the result of the previous rear end in a top hat of a director desperately trying to figure out how to make synthetic lifeforms and possibly the result of one rebellious scientist letting it loose. Given what's implied about that director either he or the cybernetics division head scream to be antagonists in an upcoming expansion.

The Synths were ironically made to keep the Commonwealth unconcerned with the Institute's continued existence. The idea being that if they kept sending live agents to the surface people would start wondering what they were doing and where they were coming from. So they made a bunch of creepy robots. Which it turns out isn't good since at some point the Institute decided to graduate from doing scavenging and power supply runs with the robots to kidnapping people to do some social engineering to "guide" the Commonwealth to a position where they could reveal themselves and start revealing their inventions.

Only, instead of having a bunch of white suited scientists or "faux raiders" coming out of the distance and snatching someone up, now they have a bunch of body doubles and creepy robots. Which leaves no doubt as to who is responsible and creates unnecessary paranoia.

Worse still, the Robotics division head has what appears to have a god complex and is blatantly shouting down his underling's complaints that the Synths might have some level of sentience. A feeling that's spread to the rest of the Institute bar a few scientists by the time you show up. The Robotics division can also be revealed to be the ones responsible for Synths being murdering assholes when above ground. Synth Retention is lead by an rear end in a top hat as well for entirely different reason. I even noticed that they're also the ones that tend to speak up and say "No, lol, we're not doing that, gently caress you." when you try to suggest helping the surface.

So they walked themselves into a situation where they have to be reclusive assholes to keep being reclusive assholes. And the only way out is to either eliminate the competition and control most of the Commonwealth or keep doing what they're doing now. Then you come around and start suggesting that maybe you should "fix" things and reveal yourselves.

Of course if you're director you get to have some theoretical (Since the main quest stops right after that point.) control over Institute policies in the future.

Basically, the heads of about two different divisions need to either be fired or lined up against the wall and shot for extreme incompetence. They're complete idiots and have hosed the entire Institute and Commonwealth over.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 19, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So there's one place up on the high road where a guy has a little home away from home, and you read the notes and the girl is like "this is cool, but you know how drunk I get, im sure I'm gonna fall off the edge to my death"

And I walked around and some cones near the ledge had tipped over, I look down, and yep, dead skeleton right there. I dropped down and it had a key back to some place I already had lockpicked down below :(

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
How do you gather the income of trading stands/shops/emporiums? Is it just added to your caps?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Joda posted:

How do you gather the income of trading stands/shops/emporiums? Is it just added to your caps?

You have to manually go to the settlement's little red station and take them from the box.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Joda posted:

I think it goes into the workbench every day. Just make sure you have unassigned settlers that can actually shop.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Joda posted:

You have to manually open up a workbench and scroll down to the "bottlecaps" item and collect the 10-20 caps your bustling city you invested thousands of caps of shops into is generating for you.
(don't ever build shops expecting a return based on passive sales, only build them to have quick access to high-fund shops to buy all you crap)

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 19, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I love having the supply lines thing, when I need to clear an area and put up a beacon I just go in and clear it then fast travel back to my hub, send someone there on a supply run then fast travel back and build whatever I need. ;)

Trick Question posted:

I don't think it even breaks if you have like, an animal companion or something, only for dudes. I mean, I realize I could just pick them up and drop them again, but it just feels a bit awkward in practice.
Well it is entirely your fault for taking his dialogue that far, you don't have to keep talking to him until he says he'll join you. ;)

edit: seriously though I think if you take the top option while they're waiting around, they'll let you turn quests in. Preston wants me to say yes to going to the castle right now but the top option is "anything else?" and he rewards for finished quests and then gives another, if you choose that option on top of the diamond.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 19, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baronjutter posted:

You can to manually open up a workbench and scroll down to the "bottlecaps" item and collect the 10-20 caps your bustling city you invested thousands of caps of shops into is generating for you.
(don't ever build shops expecting a return based on passive sales, only build them to have quick access to high-fund shops to buy all you crap)

Wait you can shop at your own shops? I built one and I'm getting some income from it (laughably small like you said) but I don't think it lets me actually interact with it. I have somebody working there and it makes money but I never see them actually operating it...

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait you can shop at your own shops? I built one and I'm getting some income from it (laughably small like you said) but I don't think it lets me actually interact with it. I have somebody working there and it makes money but I never see them actually operating it...
If you know what the guy you assigned there looks like, I'm pretty sure you can just talk to him even when he's not at the shop and barter that way.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Is this the problem where they're all standing around basically doing nothing or is this just late at night when the shop is closed? Because the first can be fixed by just reassigning people and wait until they're wiping the table of the shop before they have items.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
They only stay at the shop during normal working hours for NPCs, which is 8 am to 8 pm I believe. Also worth noting is that each shop will share its inventory with all other shops of that type in a settlement. So you can't just build a dozen weapon shops to get a ton of ammo from one place.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zaphod42 posted:

Just talk to them like any other shop keeper. The main utility of them is having a couple vendors with 400+ caps on hand next to your storage that you can quickly fast travel to to dump poo poo off and buy things you need while building stuff. The passive caps they generate is absolutely useless, but a place to dump those 20 laser pistols in one go and pick up some ammo and glue is priceless.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Archonex posted:

A large amount of :words: dealing with conversation tree content and terminal content:

If you befriend Shaun and start calling him out on his behavior over the past sixty years he'll admit that yeah, the Institute's big problem is that for all their scientific achievements they don't share them with anyone. He also very grudgingly admits that they really hosed up on analyzing a lot of the problems they had to deal with when it came to the stuff they did reveal. Pretty much every scientific development that they've let loose into the Commonwealth has only been a net negative for its people. And most of that was the result of them not really getting how the people of the Commonwealth think or have to deal with day to day life.

The FEV virus getting loose was the result of the previous rear end in a top hat of a director desperately trying to figure out how to make synthetic lifeforms and possibly the result of one rebellious scientist letting it loose. Given what's implied about that director either he or the cybernetics division head scream to be antagonists in an upcoming expansion.

The Synths were ironically made to keep the Commonwealth unconcerned with the Institute's continued existence. The idea being that if they kept sending live agents to the surface people would start wondering what they were doing and where they were coming from. So they made a bunch of creepy robots. Which it turns out isn't good since at some point the Institute decided to graduate from doing scavenging and power supply runs with the robots to kidnapping people to do some social engineering to "guide" the Commonwealth to a position where they could reveal themselves and start revealing their inventions.

Only, instead of having a bunch of white suited scientists or "faux raiders" coming out of the distance and snatching someone up, now they have a bunch of body doubles and creepy robots. Which leaves no doubt as to who is responsible and creates unnecessary paranoia.

Worse still, the Robotics division head has what appears to have a god complex and is blatantly shouting down his underling's complaints that the Synths might have some level of sentience. They can also be revealed to be the ones responsible for Synths being murdering assholes when above ground. Synth Retention is lead by an rear end in a top hat as well for entirely different reason. I even noticed that they're also the ones that tend to speak up or (gently) say no, lol, we're doing that gently caress you.

So they walked themselves into a situation where they have to be reclusive assholes to keep being reclusive assholes. And the only way out is to either eliminate the competition and control most of the Commonwealth or keep doing what they're doing now. Then you come around and start suggesting that maybe you should "fix" things and reveal yourselves.

Basically, the heads of about two different divisions need to either be fired or lined up against the wall and shot for extreme incompetence. They're complete idiots and have hosed the entire Institute over.

I think where we disagree is that from everything we've seen from Fallout scientists, that sort of "what's an ethics committee?" mad science is the norm in the setting, not the exception. Just like how time has shown for the minutemen that as soon as their leader dies or disappears they'd break up into factions and infighting, I think time has shown for the institute that as soon as any potentially ethical leader dies or disappears, it's going to be straight back to killbots and supermutants. I have zero faith that the scientists of the institute will actually put up with a moral protagonist's "what if we didn't kill people for science?" attittude for more than six weeks before someone rigs the relay up to teleport you into a wall.

Also they're all evil slave-owners and you don't try to reform a cancer, you excise it. By blowing up its nuclear reactor.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

haha, ran into a silly glitch with a late game companion in my post-story save file

i ended up fast traveling to libertalia out of wanting more dudes to shoot, summoned a vertibird and this guy showed up randomly on the coast near the vertibird landing spot
after i had the vertibird fly around a bit and when it landed he showed up again
it's especially silly because i'm in the postgame for the railroad path and he's still down to team up with me (both of him)

also why is his name different what the heck

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you assign one of the named NPC settlers to work it, like Mama Murphy? I find that they're really bad at actually manning their posts, and instead usually opt to follow their character-specific AI routines. Not what you really want for someone manning a shop or guard post. If this is the case for you, try using basic settlers instead and they should show up during the daytime.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Sounds like I hit a bug and just need to re-assign everybody.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Things I'd like to see changed with mods, off the top of my head from playing the game a bunch.

Settlement related.
- New things to build and settler cap raised.
- New jobs for the settlers, with their names changing to reflect that, getting brewers for beer or hunters to collect meat and bones for the workshop.
- All items between supply line workshops shared instead of just some items.
- Random events instead of just the occasional attack, like a group of raiders saying they want to change their life and move into your town and can force them away or trust them and maybe have them backstab the base from the inside, or not.

Perk related.
- Lifegiver changed from 20/40/60 flat to 10/20/30 flat and 10/20/30% max HP.
- Current local leader abilities changed to default, perk instead allows more settler jobs and expensive happiness/settler count increasing buildings.
- Strongback gives +25 more carry weight on the last two perks.
- Boring +10/20/30/40/50 perks like Refractor, Toughness, Rad resistant changed to something new.
- Scrounger gives so much ammo and ammo is basically just bottlecaps you got to cash in first, would like to see a .001 weight to ammo or the sell price drastically reduced.
- Lead belly would be worthwhile with a new vegas food and drink style system, just without dying from lack of either so you don't fast travel with your bag full of food and water and end up dead on arrival like in vegas.
- Fourth level Lockpicking/Hacking automatically opening everything as soon as you touch them.
- I'd like to just see endurance perks spruced up, almost every perk in endurance can just be replaced by using items, only real benefit is the base HP.

Other stuff.
- All outfits working with the leg/arm armor attachments, even if they have to be hidden because of clipping, your just wearing the coat over them or something.
- Being able to use a melee weapon underwater and for there to be a rare chance of something scary showing up in the ocean, the ocean is just too none-threatening aside from rads and you get way too much radaway.
- Little box in the weapon stats that tells you what a weapon counts as while you mod it so you know what perks it will fall under, I have a plasma flame thrower pistol and I have no idea what perk it falls under, gunslinger? auto? ... heavy like the other flamer?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
By the way I figured out it's the third-person/build-mode button that will zoom the pip-boy in and out while you're looking at it.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I found a skeleton in a dress spanking a skeleton in a sweater vest with a cutting board in an outhouse.

In the stairwell of some random pub I found a skeleton with a hacksaw and handcuff attached to one wrist. There was another skeletal forearm lying on the ground, but no skeleton :iiam:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Things I'd like to see changed with mods, off the top of my head from playing the game a bunch.

Settlement related.
- New jobs for the settlers, with their names changing to reflect that, getting brewers for beer or hunters to collect meat and bones for the workshop.

Honestly the "go look for junk" task results in so little junk I'd like to see that whole station changed to "dude will scrap all of the junk I bring in" so there's less wasted materials.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know if you can find legendary Gatling Lasers or Railway Rifles?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
They really should use all the dead mutated dolphins I see on the beaches as actual water monsters. Or just an honest to god giant million tentacle Kraken.

And speaking of mutated monsters, where my loving giant rear end Cicada? If housefly turned into puke bugs the size of a human skull, the Cicadas should have been the size of a Buick.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

I've literally never seen either of those weapons, what level do they start showing up? I'm like 37

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azhais posted:

I've literally never seen either of those weapons, what level do they start showing up? I'm like 37

Gatling Lasers seem to be a BoS thing. I've seen them use them, but never seen one drop.
Railway Rifles just seem rare in general, I think there's only 3 set spawns for it in game, uses nails as ammo.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Railway_rifle_(Fallout_4)

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 19, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I found a random named NPC running around with a gatling laser the other day. He started out hostile but was completely ignoring me in favor of chasing some glowing rad roaches. I just killed him and sold his gun for more caps I'll never use.

Haven't seen a railway rifle anywhere.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Huge Danse spoiler possibly? Synth side ending

So Danse is a Synth? Is there any way you could side against the brotherhood and not have to kill him?

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

BadLlama posted:

So Danse is a Synth? Is there any way you could side against the brotherhood and not have to kill him?
You can spare Danse and tell Maxson to go gently caress himself, but ultimately Danse will refuse to speak to you ever again if you go hostile with the Brotherhood. If you kill Maxson in front of him he freaks out, too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BadLlama posted:

There's a quest wherein the Elder finds out and is butthurt and tells you to kill him, at which point you can let him escape instead and you just tell the Elder it's taken care of. I believe you can do this quest before you reach the quests for the other factions that make the BoS hostile to you but not sure as I wasn't aware of any of this on my first playthrough and didn't progress any BoS quests past getting the Doctor for them and then having them tell me they want a magnet for Liberty Prime.

e: poster above me might know the quest a little better, I didn't know you can just tell Elder Max to gently caress off and still have Danse be chilling on the Predwyn

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Wtf is the point of brahmin? Do they actually do anything beyond walking around settlements like stupid cow assholes.

Edit: HATE COWS

Halman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 19, 2015

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Given that they pretty much added in magic weapons and armor into this game from Skyrim, I'd like to see the enchanting system added back in. Call it reverse engineering or something, and let me break down enchanted poo poo I find and then craft armor and weapons with the enchantments I want.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Settlement related.
- All items between supply line workshops shared instead of just some items.
- Random events instead of just the occasional attack, like a group of raiders saying they want to change their life and move into your town and can force them away or trust them and maybe have them backstab the base from the inside, or not.

Perk related.
- Lifegiver changed from 20/40/60 flat to 10/20/30 flat and 10/20/30% max HP.
- Current local leader abilities changed to default, perk instead allows more settler jobs and expensive happiness/settler count increasing buildings.
- Strongback gives +25 more carry weight on the last two perks.
- Boring +10/20/30/40/50 perks like Refractor, Toughness, Rad resistant changed to something new.
- Scrounger gives so much ammo and ammo is basically just bottlecaps you got to cash in first, would like to see a .001 weight to ammo or the sell price drastically reduced.
- Lead belly would be worthwhile with a new vegas food and drink style system, just without dying from lack of either so you don't fast travel with your bag full of food and water and end up dead on arrival like in vegas.
- Fourth level Lockpicking/Hacking automatically opening everything as soon as you touch them.
- I'd like to just see endurance perks spruced up, almost every perk in endurance can just be replaced by using items, only real benefit is the base HP.

Other stuff.
- All outfits working with the leg/arm armor attachments, even if they have to be hidden because of clipping, your just wearing the coat over them or something.
- Being able to use a melee weapon underwater and for there to be a rare chance of something scary showing up in the ocean, the ocean is just too none-threatening aside from rads and you get way too much radaway.
- Little box in the weapon stats that tells you what a weapon counts as while you mod it so you know what perks it will fall under, I have a plasma flame thrower pistol and I have no idea what perk it falls under, gunslinger? auto? ... heavy like the other flamer?
can I get a link to your deviantart page? cause I bet you write a lot of fanfic

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Halman posted:

Wtf is the point of brahmin? Do they actually do anything beyond walking around settlements like stupid cow assholes.

If you put physics objects into their feeding trough, they knock it all around and it's really funny.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Halman posted:

They're just cows man calm down. Do they need to "do" anything? They're cows.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

There's a quest wherein the Elder finds out and is butthurt and tells you to kill him, at which point you can let him escape instead and you just tell the Elder it's taken care of. I believe you can do this quest before you reach the quests for the other factions that make the BoS hostile to you but not sure as I wasn't aware of any of this on my first playthrough and didn't progress any BoS quests past getting the Doctor for them and then having them tell me they want a magnet for Liberty Prime.

e: poster above me might know the quest a little better, I didn't know you can just tell Elder Max to gently caress off and still have Danse be chilling on the Predwyn

Basically what happens is that Maxson shows up and yells at you for sparing Danse, so you can tell him to gently caress off and he simply exiles Danse instead. There's no way to get him to remain a member of the BoS, yet hilariously he is still fiercely loyal to them and gets angry if you gently caress with them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I found both of these last night off deathclaws in the glowing sea. With those being two of my primary weapons, I was pretty excited.

Until I saw that they both had the "Junkie" modifier. Junk, indeed. At least the laser sold for like 3k caps.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: companions

Curie's accent alone makes her worth bringing along.

Where does Strong hang out? I'd like to send him to Castle to hang out with all my other companions that aren't with me.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Earwicker posted:

They're just cows man calm down. Do they need to "do" anything? They're cows.

A game play effect would be nice. Settlers talking about making gross cheese, crops growing faster, cow poop grenades. The world could have been a two headed cow shaped wonderland of possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to have Curie as a buddy and I don't want to deny her her dreams but the whole gently caress-doll body upgrade for you to romance feels gross and mass-effecty.

• Locked thread