Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Following WWE Backlash 2005 where Batista defeated Triple H to retain his WWE World Heavyweight Championship, Eric Bischoff made a new tournament to crown a number one contender for the title. This is the Gold Rush Tournament. It was a mystery on who was facing. One wrestler would make their entrance and then find out who they were facing right in that ring. This features one of the best superkicks of all time by Shawn Michaels. It is the one where Shelton Benjamin does a springboard and eats a Sweet Chin Music right to the jaw. It really is something you have to see. The tournament also features Kane vs Christian, Edge vs Jericho, and Triple H vs Chris Benoit. Plus, fallout from backlash where Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels teamed for the very first time against Muhammad Hassan and Daivari!

Hogan is back! More lies incoming! Timely slop! Hooray!

i remember this tournament having pretty decent matches for what raw actually got at the time though the edge finishes immediately sent some people over the edge. i still remember nut bunnies frothing when lita turned on kane and joined with edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Happy new Trish and Sarah day for all who celebrate.

Ed: forgot to add the link

https://twitter.com/TrishandSarah/status/1790389522628272240?t=O3eTaMoTWAYfqdfuh03Ykg&s=19

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 14, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jawnny doing his JR impression will make me laugh every single time and him as JR breaking out of the Master Lock got me good.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:bahgawd: I CAN BREAK THESE CUFFS!!!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Senerio posted:

https://twitter.com/TrishandSarah/status/1790389522628272240?t=O3eTaMoTWAYfqdfuh03Ykg&s=19

This is good. I’m glad I missed the treatment of the French reporter at the time because I wanted to tear my hair out just listening to the recap. Wrestling journalists are the last true marks - getting played like a fiddle all the time and they don’t even know it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Answers Me posted:

This is good. I’m glad I missed the treatment of the French reporter at the time because I wanted to tear my hair out just listening to the recap. Wrestling journalists are the last true marks - getting played like a fiddle all the time and they don’t even know it.

Fan non-fiction is how I've heard it called.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
bryan's energy in the B&V show vs his energy in the WOR show this week is really funny

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Senerio posted:

Just finished. It's a very heavy episode, but it's so nice to hear people so utterly incensed at how badly the wrestling media itself has been crab-bucketing and how horrible they were to the French reporter and how WWE muddles the press box. Laughed (angrily) out loud at Bill Prichard's condescending poo poo to Lucas, as if the guy reporting for loving Wrestlezone has any idea how to be a good journalist.

It's elegant how it ties together the news of Laurinaitis's flip and the calls for arbitration, the Gulak situation and how the wrestling media handled it, and how utterly disgusting SRS's stupid cheese board stunt really was in the greater context. I knew of Triple H's dismissive comments but everything surrounding Lucas and how he was isolated and disparaged after is just blood-boiling.

Another very good, very in-depth listen. I especially love how they constantly, constantly cite their sources and the people they gather their own intel from in ways that put over others doing similar work. It's excellent. Time to listen to the Gentlemen's Wrestling Podcast they mentioned.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The Sapp cheeseboard thing is the lamest part of the whole saga. Is he really so dumb that he can’t see how that’s a stunt designed precisely for him to post it on social media, or does he know that but can’t resist fishing for a few likes anyway?

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I legitimately thought it was a joke until I heard the episode. what a dipshit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
He's a dumbass

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Content and engagement comes first, journalism is second. Partially because you need an audience to get the journalism out there but 99% of it is because

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Got a timestamp for the cheese board part? I listened but don't recall specifics - had it on while working.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I generally had positive feelings about SRS until all this poo poo happened. It's crazy watching these idiots get worked so hard and them not even realizing they are getting played. Or they realise and don't give a poo poo because it helps their bottom line. Which I wouldn't care about if it was just about who put on the best fake fighting show but instead it's about systemic sexual abuse going back decades and involving many of the top names in WWE.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Shard posted:

I generally had positive feelings about SRS until all this poo poo happened. It's crazy watching these idiots get worked so hard and them not even realizing they are getting played. Or they realise and don't give a poo poo because it helps their bottom line. Which I wouldn't care about if it was just about who put on the best fake fighting show but instead it's about systemic sexual abuse going back decades and involving many of the top names in WWE.

he's not getting worked but memeing gets him attention and patreon lets you convert attention into dollars. overlapping interests

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Helwani might still be the funniest dumbass

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Dango Bango posted:

Got a timestamp for the cheese board part? I listened but don't recall specifics - had it on while working.

41:51 is around when they start really digging into the state of wrestling journalism and it goes into the cheeseboard/SRS Stuff from there, it's worth a listen or isolated re-listen.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

41:51 is around when they start really digging into the state of wrestling journalism and it goes into the cheeseboard/SRS Stuff from there, it's worth a listen or isolated re-listen.

Thanks so much! Isolated re-listen for sure :)

e: oh yeah I recall this part now that I'm listening again. The whole thing about "wrestling journalists" being WWE's PR arm is so on point.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 16, 2024

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

primo producer rob story today on b&v

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
uri-NATED

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

woah ohhh we’re so urinated

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

primo producer rob story today on b&v

https://x.com/thedoncallis/status/1791482188195655822

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

pee-ING

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

can someone summarize the story for us non won-ers

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

can someone summarize the story for us non won-ers

Rob went to the restroom. Saw these incredibly flamboyant shoes. Looks up and sees its Don. Takes the stall right next to him. Starts to try striking up conversation and Don immediately yells gently caress OFF and leaves

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

if I sidled up to Bret Hart and he didn't want to share a urination with me I'd be a little heartbroken ngl

sprdelfin
Mar 4, 2005

Let me tell you about the okey-doke.

1glitch0 posted:

if I sidled up to Bret Hart and he didn't want to share a urination with me I'd be a little heartbroken ngl

well, i mean, enjoying peeing with people is sort of a whole thing with Bret Hart, so that's not really unreasonable.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

Rob went to the restroom. Saw these incredibly flamboyant shoes. Looks up and sees its Don. Takes the stall right next to him. Starts to try striking up conversation and Don immediately yells gently caress OFF and leaves

lmao thank you

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

at the time rob constantly trying to get himself over on B&V was super annoying but that story got me all nostalgic for it lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

jesus WEP posted:

at the time rob constantly trying to get himself over on B&V was super annoying but that story got me all nostalgic for it lol

To this day I still wonder why Bryan let him do the One Hot Chip Challenge on air.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
I peed next to Joe Quesada at a urinal once.

I didn’t bother him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Should've peed on Quesada.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Lid posted:

Should've peed on Quesada.

I was there first and then he came in, I was already almost done

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I once peed next to Jeph Loeb and then he left the bathroom without washing his hands and immediately walked onto a dais and shook everyone else on the panel's hands.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it was Dan Slott, I would have been upset nobody pissed on his shoes

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I once peed next to Jeph Loeb and then he left the bathroom without washing his hands and immediately walked onto a dais and shook everyone else on the panel's hands.

When you co-create something as good as Long Halloween or Superman For All Seasons you can do this and morally get away with it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

NienNunb posted:

When you co-create something as good as Long Halloween or Superman For All Seasons you can do this and morally get away with it.

I would say him writing "Commando" is still his biggest contribution to American pop culture.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Edge & Christian posted:

This is known as the Marvel Method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Turns out Rob was the guy who made Alan Moore decide never to do a con again