Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

Then I had a new semi-smart garage door opener installed since the old one was from 1999 and very slow and noisy. The new one (Liftmaster 8550W) is so quiet you can barely hear it and the pad has a motion sensor the runs the light so it pops on when you walk out there, which is perfect. Despite the janky reviews on the connectivity it seems to work with their app just fine.

Hmm, I have the same exact model, came with my house. I had no idea it has an app.

edit - apparently mine is just the 8550, which needs a separate internet gateway to function.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

The garage has a nice high cathedral ceiling and I didn't want to loose all that luscious storage space up there so I came up with another idea.

For some insane reason the first thing that came to my mind was that you were going to install one of those vertical bin storage carousels like in a warehouse.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

DethMarine21 posted:

For some insane reason the first thing that came to my mind was that you were going to install one of those vertical bin storage carousels like in a warehouse.

i used to work supply for pratt and whitney and had to stock those things

gently caress those things

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I wish. "High" in my house size is like 18 feet, lol.

I guarantee half the tools and crap (1 bin for various saws, 1 bin for routers/Dremel/jigsaw/etc, 1 bin for large spanners/wrenches/tire irons and so forth) I put in the bins will slowly make their way back down and get piled up all over the workbenches again. All my cans of paint (10+) for this house are sitting in giant bins on an outside shelf too. I need to pare those down as well and keep just enough for touch ups.

Luckily I also have a couple 6x4x3 sheds outside for all the gardening/planting stuff and a couple compressors so I didn't need to find space in the garage for those. My goal is to eventually fit two cars in there (and be able to get in/out of them). :ughh:

...and also TV and somewhere for my dartboard.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A work in progress as I'm staining one of what will become 3 desks.

They have all turned out lovely so far, going to stain the other sides and get some poly on it

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Walls are almost never straight, so if you want your counter to fit perfectly, you take a compass and set it to a fixed distance, drag it along the wall and the counter, and your pencil mark on the counter will follow the shape of the wall. This wall was insane, about 1/4" at its widest part. You can then jigsaw the cut, or some people will grind it down with a belt sander. This is easy to do with laminate counters because its made of wood. This is more difficult to do with granite or concrete, as you will have to get an angle grinder and grind down the excess. I thought it would be easier to build my form to fit the wall in the first place. The side pieces were flexible enough that I was able to bend them around the curved base without any issue.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAM9I6kidx8

That came out great. How did you keep your form's walls flexed? I think I'm missing something there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

That came out great. How did you keep your form's walls flexed? I think I'm missing something there.

Just with drywall screws. Start at one end and work your way down and the screws pull it tight. Just remember to pre drill, and don't go crazy with an impact driver because it will break up the particle board.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

FogHelmut posted:

So I have this small laundry room that's only about 60" ish wide. We had this big washer and dryer side by side, taking up all the space

Not to disparage the cool thing you did to give yourself more space, but there's a reason the space is that size.

Edit: the one time I could've got away with going full rear end in a top hat, and I didn't.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 28, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

Not to disparage the cool thing you did to give yourself more space, but there's a reason the space is that size.

I'm not selling, I don't care if anyone wants side by side washer and dryer.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Considering they are both front loaders, was it not possible to put a supporter counter top over them and a set of wall cabinets? I feel like that would be more ergonomic but I don't know if that was a real option.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Dave posted:

Considering they are both front loaders, was it not possible to put a supporter counter top over them and a set of wall cabinets? I feel like that would be more ergonomic but I don't know if that was a real option.

Yes, we evaluated several options before committing to this one. In our case, the plumbing and gas line/dryer vent were on the wrong side for the washer door, which is not swappable. So taking things out of the washer and going around the door to get to the dryer was a pain in the rear end. Especially since my wife had back surgery last year, and we are both towards the taller side. It's easier to take things out of the washer and simply go vertically to the dryer on top.

For us, this made the most sense. We stacked the appliances for a couple weeks to try it out before moving forward with any construction to make sure it was what we wanted to do.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

FogHelmut posted:

I'm not selling, I don't care if anyone wants side by side washer and dryer.

Well, bless your heart.

You complained about the size of the space, I pointed out why it is that size, and you replied. And so I went nuclear-option, though it may not translate well.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

I could listen to Leah give DIY tips all day long. It's crazy how many times I hit a video of hers whenever I'm searching for instructions on some random house repair.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

So I'm trying to learn nalbinding, or whatever facsimile I've developed after trying to watch YouTube tutorials (everyone does things a different way aaaagh). I couldn't think of anywhere else to post about it, since it's not really knitting or crocheting and I don't even know if I'm doing it right so... here, thread, enjoy my circle!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Great start! At the very least you have a coaster. I tried something similar years back with reeds and assorted plant materials. Gave up but wound up with a few coasters and a grass bowl.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

"Hey, Cookies, can you make me a new handle for my hammer?"

The go-gently caress-yourself hammer. Because I am a spiteful person who doesn't like having extra (unnecessary) work given to me by coworkers when I got poo poo to do. It's even ribbed for their pleasure.

It actually doesn't sting your hand like I'd expect from a metal handle. Really ought to put some sort of grip on the handle though. Maybe knurling or rubberize the handle or something. If that thing gets wet it's gonna come right out of your hand :wink:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Dipping handles of tools is the original use of plastidip.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I thought it was to re-color modded nerf guns.

j/k thanks for the tip. That's good to know

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Rotten Cookies posted:

The go-gently caress-yourself hammer. Because I am a spiteful person who doesn't like having extra (unnecessary) work given to me by coworkers when I got poo poo to do. It's even ribbed for their pleasure.

It actually doesn't sting your hand like I'd expect from a metal handle. Really ought to put some sort of grip on the handle though. Maybe knurling or rubberize the handle or something. If that thing gets wet it's gonna come right out of your hand :wink:

My hand started tingling as soon as I looked at this picture. I know you say otherwise but I don't believe you.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Why my coworker requested a metal handle I do not know. But hey, I don't have to use it, so whatevs.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rotten Cookies posted:

Why my coworker requested a metal handle I do not know.

In your heart, you know. You know
That's why you ribbed it, and lovingly shaped it that way. You know

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hey at least it's flared at the other end, just don't borrow it without gloves.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rotten Cookies posted:

I wanna hang out in whatever Discord this came out of.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

It's just the NHL SAS discord. There's occasional hockeytalk amongst the dildo hammers and fuckbenches.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Just finished up my dice tower thingy:

The tower itself is an tankard cut in half, leftover from an another project. With an eclipse shaped nozel piece inside to guide the dice and dremeled an hole under the creepy looking guys butt
and the box is an cheap 10x15cm picture frame covered black leather with an metal work from old unfinished lamp shade on the bottom and some copper pieces on the corners to hide away the fact that my seams looks like crap

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That is super cool

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Part of an bigger project. the first version of finger gauntlets.
I wanted to make my own copper rivets, but i have no access to an workshop of anykind at the moment, so store bought blind rivets had to do.

The rings which are holding the pieces are left opened to make them adjustable

Makes typing this post somewhat more difficult

Surprisingly comfortable, been fooling around with these stupid things in fingers whole morning

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's neat. How did you make the main pieces? Snip them out of sheet metal and file off any bits? (I don't know poo poo about metal work)

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
hoihoi! Yes, exactly that. traced an template on to a sheet metal, used tin snips to cut them out and filed off any excess stuff. Then used an pair of pliers and an piece of metal pipe to bend the pieces in to right shape

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I need a bigger camping trailer.

The old. I've had this about 7 years, it came with rotten wood sides about 4' X 2'6" X 1'. Fairly typical UK camping trailer, probably about 250kg capacity. I redid the wood sides when I got it, up to 20" high. That did for about 4-5 years before it started to rot so I had a go at foam with "poor man's fibreglass" i.e. glue, fabric, paint.

I used the wrong foam (XPS is hard to get here) and the wrong paint (clear information is hard to get on what you're actually buying) but it worked for a couple of years. My wife disliked the green paint I'd used and wrapped it in tape.

New trailer:

Tired 30 year old trailer tent from eBay
£56.55

It came with the optional kitchen, we debated keeping and using that but it's very heavy and later turned out to be quite rotten.

Got it home without issue and started to strip it down

Gravel, the most comfortable and ergonomic working surface.

Took the kitchen apart, saving any useful hardware and the sheet metal that wasn't rotten

Someone at work is interested in this, the burners work and nothings missing. Might get £15 for it.

More to come.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Started a little garden plot in front of my shop this spring. Problem is, I soon discovered that every time it rained, walking through said plot would cake about ten pounds of mud to each boot. Needed to do something about that, so I did.

The original plan was to put in some edging, dig out a little dirt, and throw down some pea gravel. I went with the nice steel edging.

But then a friend mentioned he had a bunch of 16" pavers, which worked perfectly with both my width AND length, and he had almost exactly what I needed, like half a dozen extra. And they were free. And as I thought about it, I realized I wasn't sure how permanent this setup would be. If I put gravel down, removing it would be a pain in the rear end. If I put pavers down, I could just pull them up and till the sand into the garden. It was a no-brainer.

But, that meant I had to excavate a lot more dirt than originally planned. The tiller helped a lot with that: broke it up nicely, and then it could be scooped out relatively easily. Relative to just packed clay, anyhow: it was still a lot more work than anticipated and I was at it pretty late that evening.

I was on a roll, though, so down went the cloth and 3/4 yard of sand.

Another 3/4 yard the next day, and it was paving time.

I didn't go full patio level of construction here, this is just a path through a garden, I don't care if it shifts a little, so just sand on cloth will do. Still, I graded it, compacted it, and then topped it off before dropping the pavers on.

It's like 90°+ these days, so evening work is key. Makes it hard to do a lot of progress in a day, though. A few rows each day, though, and I eventually close in on the end.

Decided I wanted to be done, so I was out there at high noon at 95° putting the last few blocks in. All done. It's not PERFECTLY straight and it's not PERFECTLY level, but it's darn close, and it is at least perfectly flat and smooth, so no tripping on stone edges or a wavy surface. For a path through a garden to a barn, I'm 100% satisfied, and drenched in sweat.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 26, 2018

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

Really really cool man. I miss doing stuff like this with my Dad.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Progress: removed the body from the old trailer, 9 screws. Cut it up with a Stanley knife and off to the tip it went.

Pretty much going to sell it as is, I removed the lights though, they were damaged. Then I spent half an hour getting the wheels off, as the tyres are better on this than the bigger trailer. Once I've got rid of this I'll have no need for an SAE socket anywhere.

On to the trailer, need to borrow my neighbor's impact to get the wheels off this, tiny wheels and no brakes means bugger all leverage. In the mean time removing the kitchen left a gaping hole that needs a tailgate.

This is why I saved the kitchen parts:

Tinsnips

Angle iron and rubber mallet. Sheet metal craftsman I am not.

Good from afar but far from good. I'll rivet it back together once I've decided on replacement lights, that and the number plate will cover most of the holes up. As the lights need to be at the bottom not to be obscured by the cover the tailgate needs to open to 90° only, so I'll reuse the stop chains from the kitchen.

I've also purchased some little caps (£1.04) to go in the box section corners so cutting those down in the next job. Running cost £57.59

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My wife and I just started a garden this year ourselves, nothing crazy just a couple trough planters and some pots.

My wife however does feel that she was misled by Stardew Valley's depiction of farming.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Been tossing up making this post ,but hey just post. I'll try my best not to sperg out.

I'l bought a 3d printer a few months back and its totally my hobby.

After 8 months of use, and some hefty modifications.

It broke in a really unusual way that I , and the internet wizards , could not make sense of.

After some thought I decided to canabilise my old printer and rebuild using a different design. Hopefully this will allow me to print 2-5 times faster. With my end goal being a "Hypercube design" which isolates an axis and minimises moving mass

Here is some of my WIP pictures

X gantry

Starting to look like something

Mechanically everything is in place for the bed to move up and down now

And this is where she is up to now, I am just waiting on some steel rods for my Y axis and the rest is just busywork

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Man, I need to blow the dust off my printer and start producing again.

But, it’s planting season, so in line with my previous garden-based project, I’m building a whole bunch of cedar planter boxes to go on my deck.

Came up with a basic design, and cut a bunch of parts. It’s cheap, three 6’ dog-eared cedar pickets per box, and a 3’ cedar corner block. Ends up costing like $8 per box, and doesn’t require any weird cutting or fabrication at all. Practically zero in waste, depending on the length of the box.

A cart full of parts.

Prototype built, shortcomings spotted and accounted for. Made subsequent iterations a lot smoother.

Assembly lining begins.

Finished six boxes and was one board short on the 7th because I just hand-wavey guessed when I bought my lumber, not having an actual plan at the time.

Assembled into a ladder to go on the deck.

Call in the local labor force.

All ready for planting.

Now that I’m settled on the design, I’m going to build 8 more boxes, for a total of five racks of three, along the outer perimeter of my deck. Flowers in the top rows, herb garden and strawberries in the lower ones. A total of 60 linear feet of boxes. Ought to do for now.

Geez, I gotta rebuild my deck this summer. :/

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 29, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That looks really nice! And I'm laughing at the cost per planter -- I'm seriously contemplating making some brick planters for my back yard as an excuse to learn some basic masonry, and it's gonna take waaay longer and cost a lot more, I'm sure.

Did your kids seriously fill those planters one handful of dirt at a time?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah, I had a smaller bag I dumped directly in to fill most of them 3/4 full, then we filled them the rest of the way by hand, wasn’t so bad.

If you want, I can put together a BoM and cut list, it’s pretty easy and the only tools you need are a crosscut saw, a driver, and a tape measure. Be advised, though: they are small planters. Roughly .5’x.5’x4’ in this case, so 1 cubic foot per box. Not useful for stuff that needs space, but flowers and herbs and the like will do fine.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 29, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks, but I'll pass. I don't really have a good place for that kind of planter anyway, nice as they look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'd be into a BoM and cut list if it isn't too much trouble. I've got pretty ample gardening space and a few raised beds that came with the house in the backyard already, but this would be great for a dedicated herb garden and I've been looking for a cheap and easy woodworking project to get back into it besides.