Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Hive mind actually seems good in wheels nekusar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLamo2k1
Dec 11, 2003

The new sheriff in town
So I'm trying to piece together a Pestilence-themed deck, and I'm trying to keep it around the $150-175 price point. So far this is what I have. Are there any obvious omissions/replacements I could make? I'm also thinking of moving some space around to insert a few more Cho-Manno, Revolutionary-esque creatures for Pariah shenanigans. Lookin' to keep it casual-ish-- mostly playing against people with modified precons. Let me know what y'all think!

Also, rules question with Withering Wisps and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth: will Snow-Covered Plains/Mountains count as snow Swamps for the purposes of Withering Wisps? This is obviously a super niche thing to build around, but I figure it can't hurt, I guess.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MrLamo2k1 posted:

So I'm trying to piece together a Pestilence-themed deck, and I'm trying to keep it around the $150-175 price point. So far this is what I have. Are there any obvious omissions/replacements I could make? I'm also thinking of moving some space around to insert a few more Cho-Manno, Revolutionary-esque creatures for Pariah shenanigans. Lookin' to keep it casual-ish-- mostly playing against people with modified precons. Let me know what y'all think!

Also, rules question with Withering Wisps and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth: will Snow-Covered Plains/Mountains count as snow Swamps for the purposes of Withering Wisps? This is obviously a super niche thing to build around, but I figure it can't hurt, I guess.

Black Market is probably good, especially combined with cards like Pestilence and Thrashing Wumpus. Pro-black/pro-red creatures (like Paladin en-Vec) that can survive your damage effects would be good too. There was an old Urza's Saga pre-con built around Pestilence that used pro-black creatures and cards like Pariah (which you have) and Worship.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

MrLamo2k1 posted:

The black mana produced by those lands will count as snow mana, since they don't lose their snow supertype.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MrLamo2k1 posted:

A long time ago, one of my favorite multiplayer decks (not Commander) was to turtle up with a lot of walls and defensive enchantments. Once there was a ton of creatures out, I'd play Last Laugh with Sphere of Grace out, sac a creature and obliterate the table.

I'm guessing you did a Gatherer search for "is dealt damage". Consider switching to a G/B/? Commander, since a lot of the best of these effects are found in green.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MrLamo2k1 posted:

The oracle text of Withering Wisps makes it clear that it refers to Snow (supertype) Swamps (subtype) and not "Snow-Covered Swamps" (name) so that does work, yes. While Urborg is on the battlefield all Snow lands will count.

MrLamo2k1
Dec 11, 2003

The new sheriff in town

Gynovore posted:

A long time ago, one of my favorite multiplayer decks (not Commander) was to turtle up with a lot of walls and defensive enchantments. Once there was a ton of creatures out, I'd play Last Laugh with Sphere of Grace out, sac a creature and obliterate the table.

I'm guessing you did a Gatherer search for "is dealt damage". Consider switching to a G/B/? Commander, since a lot of the best of these effects are found in green.

Ha yeah there's definitely some obliterating fun to be had with these sorts of setups.

I'm toying around with switching to Doran as the commander for this deck but I'm running into some issues:
1) The manabase for a G/B deck is considerably more expensive when matching the lands I'm currently using.
2) I lose access to a lot of the cheesy "When this creature is dealt damage it deals damage" effects that red provides. I bank on those to synergize with lifelink/deathtouch
3) The closest relative to Pyrohemia I can find is Cyclone, but the cost becomes prohibitive very quickly

That said, one gimmick I can kind of see emerging from a G/B/W theme is pumping up damaged creatures with +1/+1 counters (e.g., Fungus sliver, Fungusaur) to soak up even more Pestilence-related damage. I'm hardly a scholar of cards, so what sort of Green effects should I be looking for?

C-Euro posted:

Black Market is probably good, especially combined with cards like Pestilence and Thrashing Wumpus. Pro-black/pro-red creatures (like Paladin en-Vec) that can survive your damage effects would be good too. There was an old Urza's Saga pre-con built around Pestilence that used pro-black creatures and cards like Pariah (which you have) and Worship.

Oh duh, Black Market! How could I forget? And yeah this deck is definitely a love letter to that old Pestilence deck. I think it was the second deck I ever owned when I started playing Magic.

Lastly, thank you The Shortest Path and Hoobajoo for clarifying the rules for me!

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

MrLamo2k1 posted:

This looks cool as hell.

If you do consider changing it up to a B/G deck, Fugusaur and fungus sliver become houses in that deck.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i actually have a chance to play edh tomorrow night at league! i think i'll take UG ezuri, krenko, and WB daxos. i've been looking forward to getting to give daxos a test run.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Commander B&R list updated.

No changes.

Thanks Sheldon

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just use the DuelCommander list and by gentleman's agreement add:
  • Biorhythm
  • Braids, Cabal Minion
  • Coalition Victory
  • Griselbrand
  • Limited Resources
  • Sway of the Stars
  • Sundering Titan
  • Trade Secrets
  • Upheaval
  • Worldfire

The official EDH banlist will never stop being a joke, and isn't worth even considering at this point.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is it time for the quarterly "Toshimo is not the target audience of the EDH rules" discussion again

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I've never met anyone who is the target audience. v0v

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Toshimo posted:

I've never met anyone who is the target audience. v0v

I have, but only because I have met Sheldon once.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Toshimo posted:

Just use the DuelCommander list and by gentleman's agreement add:
  • Biorhythm
  • Braids, Cabal Minion
  • Coalition Victory
  • Griselbrand
  • Limited Resources
  • Sway of the Stars
  • Sundering Titan
  • Trade Secrets
  • Upheaval
  • Worldfire

The official EDH banlist will never stop being a joke, and isn't worth even considering at this point.

Tbh if you're using duel commander banlist, most of these cards are totally fine. Also I don't even think sway is on the regular ban list, but I could be wrong.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Archenteron posted:

Thanks Sheldon

What were you hoping to see get the boot? Or is this not actually sarcastic? I can't tell anymore.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Magnetic North posted:

What were you hoping to see get the boot? Or is this not actually sarcastic? I can't tell anymore.

My main gripe is that Captain Stop-The-Feelbads No Tuck Menery is fine with the infect rule being bog default in a format with 40 life and the 21 Commander Damage Rule. Alternatively just ban Skittles and be done with it.

Mostly I'm just surprised that he decided not to gently caress with anything this time around.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Archenteron posted:

My main gripe is that Captain Stop-The-Feelbads No Tuck Menery is fine with the infect rule being bog default in a format with 40 life and the 21 Commander Damage Rule. Alternatively just ban Skittles and be done with it.

Mostly I'm just surprised that he decided not to gently caress with anything this time around.

I have no idea how Skithiryx wins 4p FFA games consistently, it just seems like he kills one player really effectively, but then would die to the crackback. It's not like mono-B is able to get a whole bunch of extra combat phases or turns.

My personal adds would be Hermit Druid, Ad Nauseam, and Tooth and Nail. Basically anything that's a one-card combo. Also, either Intuition should be banned, or Gifts should be unbanned, as they serve the exact same function. I'd lean toward unbanning Gifts, because Gifts is awesome.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Rafiq kills faster and more reliably than Skittles, and is in better colors.

I totally get some peoples' gripes about regular Commander, that's why Duel Commander exists, but this of all things seems kind of a stretch.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I enjoy killing people with skittles in Scion dragon tribal. Reanimating ~15 dragons that include Karrthus and Kolaghan turns into a slaughter really fast. Add in scourge of valkas and you can probably shoot everyone to death prior to getting to attack with everything, but if you need it you can swing the 19/4 skittles into someone.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

hoobajoo posted:

I have no idea how Skithiryx wins 4p FFA games consistently, it just seems like he kills one player really effectively, but then would die to the crackback. It's not like mono-B is able to get a whole bunch of extra combat phases or turns.

This was my experience with a Skithiryx deck too. Don't get me wrong; in 1v1, that deck is nasty. "I have 20+ creatures in here that effectively deal 2x commander damage. Also, Nightmare Lash, Strata Scythe and Lashwrithe make everything a problem."

I dunno, I think Infect is more of a problem because you don't HAVE to run the dedicated mono-black deck to use it. Sure, everyone can run Blightsteel, but resolving a Bribery enough times will discourage that behavior. Scion and Mimeoplasm are powerful for their ability to give infect to things that shouldn't have it but I don't know if it exactly elevates to a 'problem' per se. I think it's the imminently playable standalone cards like Corrupted Consicence and Triumph of the Hordes that let otherwise entirely normal decks pull lethal out of nowhere.

At the same point, I don't really want them to change the infect rules for commander. I just can't say that it's actually worse than the other things that plague the format, like Kiki-Jiki.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Shortest Path posted:

Rafiq kills faster and more reliably than Skittles, and is in better colors.

Even worse is Godo, Bandit Warlord, which is a one card same-turn kill at eight mana. Drop him, fetch Grafted Exoskeleton, swing for 10 poison, game over.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Godo doesn't have haste.

Also, literally any creature stops this.

Also, mono-red sucks.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Even worse is Godo, Bandit Warlord, which is a one card same-turn kill at eight mana. Drop him, fetch Grafted Exoskeleton, swing for 10 poison, game over.

If your deck can win on turn 7 on average (taking into account mana rocks, red ramp is a joke), through literally zero disruption, and STILL be totally tapped out against one opponent, that isn't exactly OMG SO FAST AND GOOD. Seriously, Infect uses the combat step, it's no more broken than a general Voltron strategy, and there are Voltron commanders with better colors and better abilities.

If your issue is Scion of the Ur-Dragon lets you be a voltron commander when it suits you without needing to commit deckspace to it, that's more an indictment of Scion than the Infect mechanic.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 7, 2016

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Tell me cheap stuff that is a MUST include in The GItrog Monster.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Vital Signs posted:

Tell me cheap stuff that is a MUST include in The GItrog Monster.

Define "cheap". Also: get Life From the Loam, even if it's not cheap. Card is literally essential.

Herald of Leshrac
Dammit Salvage
Raven's Crime
Worm Harvest
Sylvan Safekeeper
Sylvan Scrying
Hermit Druid (don't play if your group has a known combo player, this can attract attention if they know it can be busted.)
Cycling lands (there are two sets of these. Run all 10. E. G. Tranquil Thicket)
Titania, Protector of Argoth
Crop Rotation
Edge of Autumn
Terravore
Harrow

Some of these you will want, some you won't, (Herald of leshrac) but that's a chunk of the cards I would have in my first build.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Gitrog loves Mesmeric Orb. Each card milled is put on the stack individually, so you draw for each land.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Squandered Resources + Natural Balance

Kids these days...

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Toshimo posted:

Godo doesn't have haste.

Also, literally any creature stops this.

Also, mono-red sucks.

Mono-Red is terribad, but if you load it with non-basic hate and some Land-D you can make people hate you enough to have some fun.

Misery loves company.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Isn't Dakmor Salvage pretty much draw your entire deck in that deck?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bugsy posted:

Isn't Dakmor Salvage pretty much draw your entire deck in that deck?

Draw/Dredge, yes, but it needs a discard outlet.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 7, 2016

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mono red is decent enough with the right commander. Daretti is extremely good, and you can make some strong Norin decks.

Basically for any mono-color deck you need your general to do a lot of lifting (excepting maybe blue, but they have a ton of good generals anyways so w/e). I'd actually put mono white probably behind mono red in terms of raw power.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

alansmithee posted:

Mono red is decent enough with the right commander. Daretti is extremely good, and you can make some strong Norin decks.

Basically for any mono-color deck you need your general to do a lot of lifting (excepting maybe blue, but they have a ton of good generals anyways so w/e). I'd actually put mono white probably behind mono red in terms of raw power.

mono red has krenko and if you aren't making GBS threads out infinite goblins turn six you built that deck wrong

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've had some respectable outings with Purphoros but it's kind of swingy. I was actually going to swap some cards around and make it a Krenko deck, while retaining Purphoros.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I made an Eron the Relentless deck. It was better than I thought it would be, which means it was mediocre. Still, commanders with haste are always nice.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mono-W and RW are both much worse than Mono-R, because Mono-R has good commanders that carry the entire color. Daretti, Krenko, Purphuros, and even Norin are all fantastic.

I'd actually even argue RG is generally worse than Mono-R due to having mostly awful generals, though green has a lot of generally solid cards that make up for that.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

Mono-W and RW are both much worse than Mono-R, because Mono-R has good commanders that carry the entire color. Daretti, Krenko, Purphuros, and even Norin are all fantastic.

I'd actually even argue RG is generally worse than Mono-R due to having mostly awful generals, though green has a lot of generally solid cards that make up for that.

Also red is slowly getting actual card advantage with the Pyromaster ability, so it's coming up in the world. I agree that mono-R's generally crap card pool is somewhat made up for by a few good commanders. What's white got, Elesh Norn? Boo.

Just to start a different conversation, what do people think is generally the strongest color for a mono color EDH deck (assume 4p FFA)? Black, blue, and green are all pretty close. I think it's black, it's got the best tutors, second best card advantage, second best ramp, a good range of strategies, and good board control.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Blue because it being to play off-turn is crucial in a multiplayer format. On a 1-10 scale, Blue is a 10 and second place is a 5.

Also, I'd like to thank everyone who keeps trying to push the reddit line on Norin. It's a terrifically efficient way to let me know that your posts have no value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

you are the saltiest person i've ever had the pleasure of not meeting.