Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Oh joy, it's time for Chad ".868" Johnson for the Islanders tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Rotten Cookies posted:

Good thing they've racked up all those points so far.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hey look, Weise isn't on the second line anymore! Oh...

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin 1h1 hour ago
Les trios du CH: Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher, Sekac-Plekanec-Prust, PAP-Eller-Desharnais, Weise-Malhotra-Andrighetto (Bournival).

At least Beaulieu is still playing!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Trevor Bird posted:

rinne's probably doing it, which would give him 30 starts in 33 games. i'm thinking maybe laviolette doesn't like hutton :v:

No Laviolette's really just not good at coaching anything other than "gently caress it go score a bunch of goals and hope our goalie bails us out"

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Don't worry, the Rangers will shoot it right at the logo instead. Over the shoulder? Hah! That's for gimmicky hacks!!

E: for real though someone has to find out if the Rangers do better, worse, or about the same against backups because the running meme is that they do bad against them

They lit Tokarski the gently caress up earlier this season at least

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Spamtron7000 posted:

So far, Peters' strategy is "make myself big and hope they don't shoot it over my shoulder". They shoot it over his shoulder.

I was at the Caps/Lightning game the other night and watched Peters warming up.

He let in so many unscreened warmup shots. It was pretty funny since I figured he wasn't starting and I guess I shouldn't judge him on warmup too much but drat he's bad.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Rotten Cookies posted:

What did the filthy Islanders do to Chad? When Boston had him his only real problem was stopping wrap-arounds.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
he sucks

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Any news on Farnham? Dude looked completely out of it after that hit last night's.

Josh Yote was saying last night that he took and passed the concussion test but IDK how much I'd put in to that. If I had the time today I'd go back and gif him on the ice with his eyes looking as if they were looking in completely opposite directions cause holy poo poo.

Edit: He's also saying there's a good chance of the Jeff Zatkoff Experience tonight. Something tells me I'm going to be busy while this game is on. :|

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Grimby posted:

What did the filthy Islanders do to Chad? When Boston had him his only real problem was stopping wrap-arounds.

he hasn't been great on his own but he also hasnt been quite as bad as his numbers suggest - he's been the victim of a whole bunch of brian strait fuckups

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Via Scott Cullen:

quote:

Andy Greene – The Devils blueliner was buried in the defensive zone against Tampa Bay Friday, finishing with 13.8% possession (4 shot attempts for, 25 against), paired mostly with Jon Merrill and matched frequently against Tampa Bay’s top line of Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Drouin and Ryan Callahan.

Mark Fayne – The Edmonton defenceman played more than 23 minutes against Dallas Sunday, but was thumped in possession (5 shot attempts for, 34 against, 12.8%). Fayne has had a somewhat difficult transition to Edmonton, going from a 55% Corsi performer in New Jersey last year to 49% with the Oilers this year.

The key phrase is highlighted. But drat, two guys who were at nearly 58% as a top pairing getting crushed like that when separated, even if it's only one game.

Also from that article, the top scoring forward duos in the league:

code:
DUO				TEAM		G	 PTS	EV CORSI%
Jakob Voracek-Claude Giroux 	Philadelphia	24 	84	57.2%
Tyler Seguin-Jamie Benn 	Dallas		35 	72	53.9%
Phil Kessel-James van Riemsdyk 	Toronto 	31 	65	42.7% 
Vlad Tarasenko-Jaden Schwartz 	St. Louis	31 	64	52.2% 
Tyler Johnson-Nikita Kucherov 	Tampa Bay 	23 	64	57.6% 
Steven Stamkos-Ryan Callahan 	Tampa Bay	30 	63	58.3% 
Sidney Crosby-Patric Hornqvist 	Pittsburgh 	21 	62	55.0%
Patrick Kane-Kris Versteeg 	Chicago 	25 	61	54.9%
Nick Backstrom-Alex Ovechkin 	Washington 	25 	61	56.2%
Ryan Getzlaf-Corey Perry 	Anaheim 	26 	59	49.2%  
It's gonna own when Voracek and Giroux finish 1-2 in the scoring race while the Flyers finish 9th in the East and waste their 1st on a big beefy defenseman who can't skate. Also, Kessel and JVR are continuining to prove that the corsis are for chumps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tyler Seguin has more goals than 3 pairings on that list.

Also haha Toronto.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Seguin is having an absolutely ridiculous season and I wouldn't be surprised if he never has another one as good as this again in his career

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Levitate posted:

Seguin is having an absolutely ridiculous season and I wouldn't be surprised if he never has another one as good as this again in his career

Well he's probably not going to have a full season of 19% shooting, nor will gently caress Corey Perry.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Haha what the gently caress, is Scott a regular in the Sharks lineup or something? I knew he played a few games, but is he really in the lineup on a nightly basis :psyduck:

He's not a regular but he's been playing a lot lately because of injuries :scott:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Well I mean I can see a guy having an abnormally high shooting percentage even over the course of an entire year, it's not like that hasn't happened before. So if Seguin scored 60 goals this year shooting at an absurd percentage, it wouldn't be crazy (Stamkos shot nearly 20 percent when he scored 60 goals, though he generally has an absurdly high shooting percentage at a career 17.4). However I'd be surprised if he scored 60 while shooting at 20 percent or so and then went out and did it again the following year.

e: compared to when Ovechkin scored 65 goals shooting at 14.6% goddamn he loving shoots the puck a lot

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 23, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tofes posted:

He's not a regular but he's been playing a lot lately because of injuries :scott:

Maybe the Sharks wouldn't have suffered so many injuries had Scott been playing regularly earlier!!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Levitate posted:

Well I mean I can see a guy having an abnormally high shooting percentage even over the course of an entire year, it's not like that hasn't happened before. So if Seguin scored 60 goals this year shooting at an absurd percentage, it wouldn't be crazy (Stamkos shot nearly 20 percent when he scored 60 goals, though he generally has an absurdly high shooting percentage at a career 17.4). However I'd be surprised if he scored 60 while shooting at 20 percent or so and then went out and did it again the following year.

e: compared to when Ovechkin scored 65 goals shooting at 14.6% goddamn he loving shoots the puck a lot

iirc stamkos has the highest career shooting% among active players by nearly 2%. ovetchkin has a similar ridiculous lead in shots/game

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Levitate posted:

He may not have another one this good, but I definitely think he'll be an offensive force in the league for most of his career.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Say what you will about Doug Wilson doing dumb poo poo, there are still some amazing scouts in the Sharks org. Having Melker Karlsson and Barclay Goodrow around has been a godsend, both of them have been spectacular as bottom six depth forwards given that they were undrafted free agents plucked out of nowhere in particular.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pat Clements posted:

Say what you will about Doug Wilson doing dumb poo poo, there are still some amazing scouts in the Sharks org. Having Melker Karlsson and Barclay Goodrow around has been a godsend, both of them have been spectacular as bottom six depth forwards given that they were undrafted free agents plucked out of nowhere in particular.

The Canucks' miraculous ability to turn nothing undrafted UFAs into serviceable NHL players is almost good enough to excuse a decade of shoddy drafting. If you pretend the Canucks drafted Burrows, Tanev and Lack then it suddenly seems like their scouts know what they're doing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fits posted:

iirc stamkos has the highest career shooting% among active players by nearly 2%. ovetchkin has a similar ridiculous lead in shots/game

Not the best, but yeah Stamkos has a really high shooting %. There are guys like that every once in a while. Tanguay is another one (19% career shooting over almost 1000 games is nuts, but the guy only shoots a little more than once a game).

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Look Around You posted:

With how awful the Penguins were for the first 50 minutes, them coming away with a point is impressive.

I mean, it's kind of bound to happen when your team dresses 7 defensemen, six of which were either not in the NHL or were Rob Scuderi on opening day, and the entire third line is out due to injury.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Levitate posted:

I've watched quite a few Stars games, and honestly if their D and goaltending were even mediocre they'd be an awesome team. Seguin is gonna have Jamie Benn on his wing for the foreseeable future, and if Valeri Nichushkin can ever stay healthy, that's gonna be a gross line for a lot of years. Plus Spezza is one of the best passers in the league and he's feeding him on the powerplay. I think he could probably keep putting up points for a while

God that trade was loving awful, although it's always fun listening to my Bruins fans friends try to rationalize how the Bruins won it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jordan7hm posted:

Not the best, but yeah Stamkos has a really high shooting %. There are guys like that every once in a while. Tanguay is another one (19% career shooting over almost 1000 games is nuts, but the guy only shoots a little more than once a game).

Some guys just only seem to want to take shots when it's a really good scoring chance instead of launching shots on net from anywhere even if there's a very small chance of it resulting in a goal, so I'd probably expect their shooting percentages to be higher if they have any bit of goal scoring talent

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

I've watched quite a few Stars games, and honestly if their D and goaltending were even mediocre they'd be an awesome team. Seguin is gonna have Jamie Benn on his wing for the foreseeable future, and if Valeri Nichushkin can ever stay healthy, that's gonna be a gross line for a lot of years. Plus Spezza is one of the best passers in the league and he's feeding him on the powerplay. I think he could probably keep putting up points for a while

God that trade was loving awful, although it's always fun listening to my Bruins fans friends try to rationalize how the Bruins won it

Haha really? I know the Bruins lost that trade and I'm a Bruins fan. I sort of understand why they did it, but I think it was a knee-jerk reaction and they needed to have a little more patience with Seguin. I also think Erikkson hasn't really lived up to being the Patrice Bergeron clone he was billed as... The second the trade was made the Bruins lost it. I'm just glad it wasn't as horrific a trade as the Joe Thornton trade.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Dirty Burger posted:

Seguin's great but he had 300+ regular and post-season NHL games coming into this season and his shooting percentage over the first thousand shots of his career was just over 10%. This season it's almost 20%. His assist rate is the same as it was last year. His shot rate is up but not significantly (and I'm not sure he's a guy who will shoot 4 times every game over a long stretch, but he's clearly a volume shooter). He's having a great start to the year and if he keeps it up it'll be a fantastic year. It's not a year he's likely to repeat anytime soon.

His low mark should still be a PPG player for the forseeable future though.

e: Interesting, and anecdotal, but Ovechkin's, Crosby's, and Jagr's peak shots / game years came at 23 (Seguin's age). Stamkos' was 21, as was Gretzky's. Bossy's was 24. Lemieux's was 22 (though he was real close at 30... gently caress he was good). Brett Hull was the old man still slamming shots at 27. Volume shooting is a young man's game.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 23, 2014

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
boo the flyers, go wild, hail satan

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It wasn't a knee jerk reaction. That terrible trade was in the works for weeks.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

It wasn't a knee jerk reaction. That terrible trade was in the works for weeks.

I tell myself what I need to so I can get to sleep at night.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I remember when Eriksson was hailed as one of the most underrated players in the game and blah blah blah

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Levitate posted:

I remember when Eriksson was hailed as one of the most underrated players in the game and blah blah blah

Dallas started that rumor to pump up his trade value, assuming that nobody ever watched the Stars

God, imagine if they didn't trade Neal for Goligoski. Benn-Seguin-Neal

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Loui is fantastic and is finally returning to form after getting his brains scrambled despite Boston's many deterrents that you need to keep that kind of thing from happening.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

Loui is fantastic and is finally returning to form after getting his brains scrambled despite Boston's many deterrents that you need to keep that kind of thing from happening.

He can't hit a net unless it's overtime.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Levitate posted:

I mean, that was/is true, and his contract is legitimately great, it's just that they traded a superstar for him.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

He can't hit a net unless it's overtime.

Tell him to hit the one in the middle.

Edit: 1.5 points/60 for a dude recovering from a concussion being juggled around in the lineup isn't exactly terrible, y'all just singin' Cinderella lyrics :colbert:

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 23, 2014

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Austrian mook posted:

Tim Jackman took a pretty nasty chop from SAS fan-favorite John Scott tonight, was lying on the ice for a good while without moving and then sat back down on the bench before being told to go to the dressing room.

If Scott gets suspended like he should that means the injury will have improved both teams lineups

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Levitate posted:

I'm pretty sure this happens every year. Some player in the west gets anointed with the title of "most underrated player who would be a star if not for east coast bias", gets signed by an eastern conference team, and becomes Brad Richards.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

fancy stats posted:

I'm pretty sure this happens every year. Some player in the west gets anointed with the title of "most underrated player who would be a star if not for east coast bias", gets signed by an eastern conference team, and becomes Brad Richards.

Yes, forged in the fires of the Western Conference player Brad Richards.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
John Scott needs to be permanently expelled from the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

e: Interesting, and anecdotal, but Ovechkin's, Crosby's, and Jagr's peak shots / game years came at 23 (Seguin's age). Stamkos' was 21, as was Gretzky's. Bossy's was 24. Lemieux's was 22 (though he was real close at 30... gently caress he was good). Brett Hull was the old man still slamming shots at 27. Volume shooting is a young man's game.

Counterpoint: Patrick Sharp.

• Locked thread