Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

vyelkin ive come back to that debate like 3 times hoping to mine some pithy response out of it but it just isn’t happening. *makes lingering eye contact with the camera while grinning*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

vyelkin posted:

right so whats supposed to be wrong with white people being a minority again?

Well it's not happening fast enough for starters!

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
https://twitter.com/DeJongMatt/status/1061620946136678400?s=19

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

well, uh, they weren't before. here. i mean, originally they were, yeah, but then for quite a while they weren't and things were good. now maybe sometime in the remote future they will be a minority again and that would somehow be bad though. i mean of course it would be, look how minorities get treated...

i dare any of these idiots to define what "white" even means here

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
So white people are supposed to be a minority in the USA by 2045, and I have zero doubt that this is a huge motivating factor for the white nationalists taking over the GOP.

However, stopping a migrant caravan at the border here or trying to ban muslim immigration there isn't going to make a lick of difference even if they were effective policies. At best they're putting off the demographic shift to like, 2048.

It's all terrible racism but remembering this always makes me laugh. They're going to lose. They were always going to lose.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's ridiculous in the context of "white" in north america. a nation of immigrants mixing with other immigrants. half these goose stepping motherfuckers wouldn't have been "white" fifty years ago

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

https://twitter.com/theGusMcCrae/status/1061812921330790401

Apparently I'm reading the wrong version of the Star

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
translation: the star publishes photos of the pride parade once a year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"alternative lifestyles"

lord almighty

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dear Mr. editor,

your newspaper once published a picture that included two men kissing in a crowd of people, this is directly equivalent to my MP sending photos of his donger to all and sundry, and furthermore...

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Do your part to hasten the white genocide by having cute mixed babies as part of a consensual, loving relationship.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Guest2553 posted:

Do your part to hasten the white genocide by having cute mixed babies as part of a consensual, loving relationship.

As soon as I meet a non-white girl ready to settle for me, I'm ready to do my part!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

insofar as whiteness is defined by its position of superiority in a white supremacist system, whiteness would cease to exist entirely. And then who would be the master race?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Hand Knit posted:

insofar as whiteness is defined by its position of superiority in a white supremacist system, whiteness would cease to exist entirely. And then who would be the master race?

landlords

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:argh:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Another Bill posted:

So white people are supposed to be a minority in the USA by 2045, and I have zero doubt that this is a huge motivating factor for the white nationalists taking over the GOP.

However, stopping a migrant caravan at the border here or trying to ban muslim immigration there isn't going to make a lick of difference even if they were effective policies. At best they're putting off the demographic shift to like, 2048.

It's all terrible racism but remembering this always makes me laugh. They're going to lose. They were always going to lose.

I'd say the prospects of demographic doom for things like this are overblown, asians and probably hispanics (despite Trump) will merrily be adopted into the "white" group, just like the Irish and Italians of yore.

"Demographics is destiny" seems to forget that people will always find new ways to divide themselves into opposing teams.

For example, I came here, today, to post the latest entry from team "pollution is imaginary if we don't monitor/test for it":

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-11-12/the-epa-can-t-wait-to-reopen-the-mine-that-poisoned-north-idaho

CDA is beautiful, but whoa.

(Need more articles like this about Alberta.)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Guest2553 posted:

im in a consensual loving marriage with a woman of colour but we don't want to have kids, you're not my real dad you can't tell me what to do

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

But the nazis lost, they did die for nothing!

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

according to them, something about the international jewry pushing authoritarian communism through minorities which is why white people need to rally behind fascists leaders who will protect the western values of freedom and democracy.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

They're like little kings who have people come petition them with gifts and sexy favors in exchange for the expensive but once in a lifetime opportunity to live in their fiefdom.

quote:

I've seen a lot of posts here about renter's stories, and difficulties, finding rental apartments in Toronto. I wanted to share some information on what it's like on the other end of the equation.

I'm a small time landlord in Toronto. I own 2 condos (purchased 5 and 1 year ago). I pride myself on being a 'good landlord', I follow the rules to the letter and take care of all maintenance/other issues promptly. I do not participate in AirBNB, I think the platform is awful for the rental market health in Toronto, but I am fully conscious of the fact that AirBNB (along with rent stabilization) is the reason why the rent I can get per unit has gone up by close to $800 a month in the past year.

Over the past 4 months, the existing tenants in my condos have all moved out. After cleaning and some minor repairs, all were re-listed and have had new tenants apply and move in.

The older unit is a 2 bedroom near U of T. This has traditionally been one I rented out to two student roommates. This unit was put up for rent on a Wednesday at noon with showings scheduled for Thursday and Friday all day, but it was rented by 6pm the same day with no showings. I had 47 applications, of the 47:

- 46 offered more than first and last month deposit. The lowest was 4 months, the highest was 4 years (yes that's right, they offered to pay rent for their entire 4 year degree, up front, via certified cheque)

- 41 bid higher than asking price. Lowest was $50 a month extra, highest was $250 a month extra

- 38 included credit score, employment letter or school funding letter with application

- 6 included personal persuasion letters

- 1 was upfront about the fact that they were a camgirl, and offered free shows as part of the application

I ended up renting the unit to two students who submitted a joint application with a personal persuasion letter. They seemed the most trustworthy, and least likely to have crazy parties/cause significant damage, and they had impeccable references (including someone I knew). They offered $200 a month over asking, along with first and last deposit. This ended up being $750 a month more than my last tenants were paying, they moved in 2016.

The next unit is a one bedroom plus den in the Roncesvalles neighbourhood. This is a bit more of an upscale building. This unit was listed on a Monday at 3pm, with showings scheduled from 10am to 8pm Tuesday and Wednesday in 15 minute time slots. 68 people booked showings, only 31 showed up, and 41 offers were made (making 10 offers submitted sight unseen). Of the 41:

- 41 offered more than first and last deposit. Lowest was 6 months, highest was 1 year

- 39 bid higher than asking. Lowest over was $100, highest was $385

- 36 included credit score, employment letter or school funding letter with application

- 29 included personal persuasion letters

I ended up renting it to a couple with a dog who submitted a personal persuasion letter. They were upfront about the fact they had a pet (not that I would ever prohibit pets, that contravenes the law), bid $250 a month over asking and offered 6 months deposit (which I refused in favour of first and last). They showed up to their showing slot early, had all their documents with them (credit check, employment letters, certified deposit cheques) and were overall charming and gregarious people with excellent references. The unit is renting for $620 a month more than it was in 2017.

Clearly, Toronto has a very serious issue. Both my units were cashflow positive under the old rents. When listing, I priced them slightly under what other similar units in the neighbourhood were listing for, but wound up getting thousands of dollars a year extra in rent above asking.

What do I think we can do about it? Honestly, I'm not sure if there is a lot we can do, even if we banned AirBNB entirely - there's so many people moving to Toronto yearly, the units off the market due to AirBNB are only part of the issue.

The new rent stabilization controls enacted last year, I think have caused wild swings in rental prices in Toronto. Landlords now need to price their units for what they expect the market price will be in the future, because tenants will stay put to continue paying under market rent, and the amount that rent can be increased per year for existing tenants will never come close to the market price.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Another Bill posted:

This is stupid, demographics have never been destiny, all that happens is the definition of white slightly changes

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

vyelkin posted:

Who do you think buys the most sunscreen?

Follow the money, people.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Who do you think buys the most sunscreen?

Follow the money, people.

the alt right is funded by big mayonnaise

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Terror Sweat posted:

This is stupid, demographics have never been destiny, all that happens is the definition of white slightly changes

James Baud posted:

I'd say the prospects of demographic doom for things like this are overblown, asians and probably hispanics (despite Trump) will merrily be adopted into the "white" group, just like the Irish and Italians of yore.

"Demographics is destiny" seems to forget that people will always find new ways to divide themselves into opposing teams.

For example, I came here, today, to post the latest entry from team "pollution is imaginary if we don't monitor/test for it":

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-11-12/the-epa-can-t-wait-to-reopen-the-mine-that-poisoned-north-idaho

CDA is beautiful, but whoa.

(Need more articles like this about Alberta.)

Cool would you please explain this to the 30%+ of whites ready to vote in full nazi fascism because of it

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I used to work for a guy who whenever given the chance would talk your ear off how white people in Canada were being replaced by immigrants, and that it would be hard to compete against them because they worked together very closely and they looked out for their own groups.

Motherfucker didn't care that I'm Metis and half the people working there have some sort of Asian background, we just all looked white enough for him I guess.

A smart business owner would try to capitalize on this growing sector of new customers but he just bitched how they were not doing things the way he likes.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My 55-year old half-japanese co-worker at 7-11 gave some old customer a ride home once and got treated to a long winded racist rant about asians and immigrants.

Honestly, if you speak with a Canadian accent and pass whatever skin-colour test that any particular racist person uses, whiteness applies to more people than you'd think it does.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You might say you have a unique perspective on the challenges of immigration

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

As soon as I meet a non-white girl ready to settle for me, I'm ready to do my part!

thank you mom and dad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

You might say you have a unique perspective on the challenges of immigration

holy poo poo goddamn lmao

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/sdbcraig/status/1062085334639480835

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
i just dont understand how canadas world class cities couldnt be good enough to win amazons pleasure palace, maybe we should offer more tax breaks to the rich?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Thank gently caress. Let Crystal City and some superfund site in New York deal with that bullshit.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sean craig claims world leaders and celebrities don't have ways to tell their handlers that they'd rather be elsewhere about now

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

poo poo, I used to message my admin to interrupt all the time

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Another Bill posted:

Cool would you please explain this to the 30%+ of whites ready to vote in full nazi fascism because of it

because fascism is the last tetanic spasm of a crumbling liberal state

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6NnXF-L9c0

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
in further adventures in reading brad lavigne's book, he at one point identifies the CPC merger as presenting possibilities in B.C. to pick up that classic left constituency, red Tories who had soured on the Grits and couldn't stand the Canadian Alliance. cotton candy brained idiot

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Hi american here havent read the thread and dont know anything about canada other than trudeau is a poo poo lib and some polls. Are you guys going to go full trump next election?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's possible, but not probable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Terminal autist posted:

Hi american here havent read the thread and dont know anything about canada other than trudeau is a poo poo lib and some polls. Are you guys going to go full trump next election?

not likely next election, the election afterward is almost guaranteed though

we're in the 2012 Obama era, where everyone kinda knows he's full of poo poo but isn't fed up enough to go full nazi yet