Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Junpei posted:

At the very least, with Liwei being able to use melee stuff, I can see there being use in having one guy who has, like, 3 or 4 Ranged cards to use early and then have reliable access to specific melee options thanks to a small deck

That was the basis of me thinking as to whether Brawl Liwei would actually be a sensible build for longer fights. Maybe TQ will try that?

kvx687 posted:

To be fair, Full Stop does have some pretty serious downsides- their passives are only active on the first turn and ranged cards are also one-and-done, so if they go up against anything capable of tanking their alpha strike they'll run out of gas hard. The main thing is that most receptions are multi-floor, so you can set up one floor to go all-in on guns'brasting as an alpha strike or a finisher, whereas they're of more dubious value against single-floor scenarios like most Abnormalities.

That last bit is the reason why I never used Full-Stop myself. I never actually considered having a floor just dedicated to 1 turn burst. What's funny is that I'd use Malkuth for that if I were to play the game again, on the basis I REALLY don't like her abno cards. It just doesn't seem to work for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Brawl Liwei was pretty hot in very early access, when the lack of passive attribution meant it was harder to go all-in on Full Stop or discard gimmicks for an entire floor.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How do people decide to name their Fixer Offices? Yun's Office was understandable if slightly egotistic, but there's no consistent theme. Hook? Streetlight? Molar? Full-Stop?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Keldulas posted:

That last bit is the reason why I never used Full-Stop myself. I never actually considered having a floor just dedicated to 1 turn burst. What's funny is that I'd use Malkuth for that if I were to play the game again, on the basis I REALLY don't like her abno cards. It just doesn't seem to work for me?

Malkuth's actually one of the better choices for this strategy, since if you're expecting to suicide run anyways Footsteps turns into some pretty decent free damage and helps keep the enemy from getting too many free emotion coins.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Junpei posted:

How do people decide to name their Fixer Offices? Yun's Office was understandable if slightly egotistic, but there's no consistent theme. Hook? Streetlight? Molar? Full-Stop?

Clearly the rule is that your new office can't have the same name as an already-existing office, and since there's a lot of offices out there, there's a lot of strange names. Also, to find out if another office with the same name exists, you go to an archaic Head-operated website that was written by the cheapest bidder some twenty years ago and has barely been maintained since. You enter the name you're hoping to use into the search bar and wait, because the database is slow as molasses even on a good day, and eventually it'll let you know if there's an operational office with that name. Also you'd better check for variant spellings of the name just to be sure, because the database search might consider "Yun's" and "Yuns" different names but the Head doesn't; it also doesn't consider capitalized and non-capitalized names to be the same but again the Head does.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Boksi posted:

Clearly the rule is that your new office can't have the same name as an already-existing office, and since there's a lot of offices out there, there's a lot of strange names. Also, to find out if another office with the same name exists, you go to an archaic Head-operated website that was written by the cheapest bidder some twenty years ago and has barely been maintained since. You enter the name you're hoping to use into the search bar and wait, because the database is slow as molasses even on a good day, and eventually it'll let you know if there's an operational office with that name. Also you'd better check for variant spellings of the name just to be sure, because the database search might consider "Yun's" and "Yuns" different names but the Head doesn't; it also doesn't consider capitalized and non-capitalized names to be the same but again the Head does.

I feel like you're speaking from experience here.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I appear to have recorded the latest episode in slightly smaller base resolution than normal. Screwups caused by carelessness, you say? :lobcorp:

Given that I went from 1600:900 > 1366:768 and that I downscale everything to 900:506 afterwards anyways, you shouldn't notice anything. Still, if there's any weirdness in the next gameplay section that's definitely the cause.

Whoops.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 3, 2022

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Junpei posted:

Hook at the very least are pretty straightforward I think? They hangs the corpses of the people they kill out in the open to send a warning. The reason Full Stop is named so is pretty clear if you look at their logo- it's a circular bullet hole. Even Streetlight I'd say is pretty evocative of what they do, that being providing safety for a small area. Molar I'll give you, I have 0 clue why Olga chose that name.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Aumanor posted:

Hook at the very least are pretty straightforward I think? They hangs the corpses of the people they kill out in the open to send a warning. The reason Full Stop is named so is pretty clear if you look at their logo- it's a circular bullet hole. Even Streetlight I'd say is pretty evocative of what they do, that being providing safety for a small area. Molar I'll give you, I have 0 clue why Olga chose that name.

The office name "symbolizes the way the fixers mesh together to grind" through requests.

No, seriously. PS the artbook is great but also spoilers as gently caress if you go past where we are. :v:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Book 19: Gaze Office—Chapter 1

Music: Lobby

This time around, our target is the far right node.

Hmm…

What's she doing?

Thinking, it looks like.

I thought she was a hyperadvanced AI. What could she possibly have to think about that'd take more than a second?

You-know-who isn't here. She could be caught up on that.

So why doesn't she go looking for him..?

I figure that's what she's doing. She's the owner of the place, makes sense that it'd have the place covered top to bottom with cameras.

I don't think a perfect AI would need something as simple as cameras.

How did you do that?

I'm pretty quiet when I want to be.

Ah. There you are, Roland. The next invitation is ready.

Oh, you were waiting for me?

Since you know about the outside, it makes sense to watch their circumstances when you are nearby to ask about them.

Huh… Can't argue with that. Alright, then, let's see it.

VIDEO
Music: WarpStation

Mhm.

Bono, how’s the observation going?

I hope we can find some leads at least…

I know it’s a bit late to ask this, but you sure this job is a trusty one?

How many times should I say that we can get two hundred million Ahn right away through an untraceable route?

It’s a deal offered by Cane Office, so we can probably trust this.

I don’t trust like that. Pay isn’t the problem here. If we get caught trying to uncover the secrets of a Singularity, we’re done for. No insurance is gonna protect us.

I understand that you’re scared because R Corp. has W Corp’s back. But we aren’t gonna quit here, are we?

We wouldn’t be here if we could…

The WARP train is departing in five minutes.

It’s the device Cane Office gave us. They said it’s invaluable with only a few copies of it in the City.

And we verified its performance ourselves.

I know this City has all kinds of bizarre technology, but I still doubt anything can be this convenient.

Hey! The train’s heading off.

Okay. We just need to wait 10 seconds now.

Nine… Eight… The causality-whatever-recording device is working for now.

Seven… Wait… Something’s not right…?

They’re missing… We can’t observe them anymore…

I knew there was something off with this device. I told you it can’t be possible for any technology to be this convenient!

Don’t put the blame on the device, it’s not broken. It’s still working, see? Something must’ve happened inside the train.

Maybe there was a problem with the Singularity… Or maybe they noticed the device and rigged it?

It’s not so easily manipulable. And they definitely weren’t capable of doing that.

You never know. It could be W Corp. sending a jamming signal to prevent its Singularity from being leaked. And the Cane Office hadn’t made any preliminary research before giving us this request? This is driving me crazy… We’re doing this sham job for two hundred million Ahn.

Stop whining, will you?

…It could have something to do with this. This thing has the books of the Molar Office listed on it like it knows what we were doing.

The Library…

Yeah, I heard of it. All the Fixers and Syndicates have been talking about it these days. So, what’s the plan. Are we gonna head to that bizarre place?

We don’t have any other way.

Even if two hundred million Ahn is on the line, I don’t wanna risk my life. Going there won’t guarantee success, either…

We might be able to see what happened on the train if we read their books.

Sigh… I just hope things don’t get screwed even further.

Music: Lobby

Duh, of course. It can bring tremendous amounts of money. I’m pretty sure L Corp. put a lot of effort into keeping its Singularity’s secrets, too. The eco-friendly energy company, founded after the Smoke War! We were freed from that suffocating smoke thanks to your corp.

Didn’t I tell you already? All I did was recite the script, trapped underground.

Can a Singularity be stolen if its secrets are exposed?

Nah, that’s not how it works. Those guys are probably just looking for some clues to how the Singularity functions so they can sell that info to another Wing or a big Syndicate. After that, the party with the secrets will use that to extort money and stuff from the Wing. Singularities are patented, so it’s too risky to just use ‘em even if you know how to make it work. Especially since those patents are all managed by the Head.

It’s all about money in the end.

Anyway, I’m kinda curious about what happened to that WARP train.

Let us receive our guests first.

Music: Entrance

The result can be seen, but not the process…

It’s just like the Distortion, the talk of the town lately. What a bother.

How did you get the book of the Molar Office? They were supposed to be in the WARP train. For only a few seconds!

Well, how did we do it, I wonder? Unraveling the secrets of the Library must come with a heavy price, like how digging into the principles of Singularities is a laborious affair, no?

That was a stupid question from us.

I have no idea what’s going on…

If the Library and its books are just as mysterious as the Singularities, then hopefully they’re worth just as much.

May you find your book in this place.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Bad ideas.

Videos

Gaze Office 1

Malkuth… should I take that look to mean that Angela's tapped you for the next reception?

Not quite. We volunteered!

You did? I thought you weren't talking to Angela.

Oh… that. Well… I don't mind talking to her if it's for work.

Yes, I feel the same. Still, though… are you sure that key page will work?

I've reviewed everything twice, and I'm confident in its power! Not even Bishop could say a single word against it, and he's normally very good at picking out flaws in our strategy.

It sounds very useful to have someone on the team with Fixer experience.

It is. Should I ever die, I know the team's in good hands for the rest of the reception. That means I can go all out without reservation!

I'm still just a bit too frightened of pain to go all out myself…

Just imagine it as weakness leaving the body, and it'll feel as natural as giving orders in a warzone.

…You really are just built differently, Malkuth.

I just adjusted a little faster, that's all. Remind me to show you a breathing trick Roland taught me next time. It's a huge help when you get overwhelmed.

I'll do that. Good luck.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Those are cool looking robots full body prosthesis, and I used their page outfits on my Yesod floor for ages because of the style

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

So, new name. Cane office, which is interested in W-Corp Singularity. We also learn that R-Corp is protecting W-Corp too (apparently R-Corp is security for corporations) and that Library screws with time: we received and booked Molar office in a few seconds before suggesting their books. Did Angela keep that TT2 device from LC days?

This also raises question of time passage on Warp Train: if time flows normally here, then Library broke casuality by bringing Molar before they left the train several days later. Otherwise, every second on train some larger amount of time passes oustside, and that means that train trip was ... Longer than you think! I am curious if it is normal, and usually passenger are preserved in some kind of stasis field, which failed today (because of outside interference by observing it? Some quantum bullshit?) leading to this crap?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Part of me wishes a couple of the early fights were forced losses, just so it made sense for the people invited to believe it was possible to come out of it with anything. Currently it seems to just be "Invites kill you 100% of the time." to the people in the City. Though it sounds like earlier in EA you were much more likely to have lost against Yun or something.

Of course the fact you repeat fights against exactly the same people is also a bit of a gameplay conceit.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Tylana posted:

Part of me wishes a couple of the early fights were forced losses, just so it made sense for the people invited to believe it was possible to come out of it with anything. Currently it seems to just be "Invites kill you 100% of the time." to the people in the City. Though it sounds like earlier in EA you were much more likely to have lost against Yun or something.

Of course the fact you repeat fights against exactly the same people is also a bit of a gameplay conceit.

A couple of people do escape at least so far, of course they come back afterwards. It's a bit like a compelling rumour at this point.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It's easy to forget, but 2/3 of Streetlight Office did escape their first round. They did all come back and die horribly, but not before getting the attention of Zwei Association. Before that, all our visitors were of the horribly desperate, naive or murderous variety. Usually a combination of the above.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
Love the Gaze agenda, sweet full-body prosthetics are a staple of any cyberpunk setting

Sorry to say to everyone this early in the game but we've met the hottest guy in LoR, shame that it only goes downhill from here

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MiiNiPaa posted:

I am curious if it is normal, and usually passenger are preserved in some kind of stasis field, which failed today (because of outside interference by observing it? Some quantum bullshit?) leading to this crap?

This Gaze Office business definitely opens some extra possibilities there, since now there's some sort of very thorough observation device tracking what's going on along with the Library's dubious omniscience. Also poses the question of whether their tracker stopped working because of what happened to the train, or because Molar office entered the Library.

We still don't know if the train even arrived at the station at the other end. Or will do. Time is a bit wonky here.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

MetaMeme posted:

Love the Gaze agenda, sweet full-body prosthetics are a staple of any cyberpunk setting

Sorry to say to everyone this early in the game but we've met the hottest guy in LoR, shame that it only goes downhill from here

I agree, keypages of Big Bird IRL, Copyright Infrigement and Traffic Light looks good on your Librarians. And you can get their heads as Battle Symbols! Though I didn't find a way to get Alloc yet.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I give one of my librarian Bono's appearance. I like cosplaying as cyberpunk Doc Ock. No Way Home is a really great movie.

I agree with Roland. I'm more interested in seeing what's INSIDE the meme train than outside. That's why Gaze Office is the first opponent I fight in Urban Plague.

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
I'm really curious to see how TQ will handle the story writing if he actually legitimately loses a Reception, mainly because why would those Guests ever come back again? Forgive me if I've said this before, my memory isn't the greatest.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Gaze Office is some sexy, sexy robots I mean head-approved cyborgs. If I wouldn't constantly forget how I've set up a librarian if I didn't have the equipped keypage visible, my library would be decked out in Gaze drip.

PinkDawn posted:

I'm really curious to see how TQ will handle the story writing if he actually legitimately loses a Reception, mainly because why would those Guests ever come back again? Forgive me if I've said this before, my memory isn't the greatest.
"We resent the invitation, so the invited guests showed up, despite the fact that's already happened" works for if you want to win harder, or if you lost and want a do over.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

PinkDawn posted:

Could easily be a bit of "oh wow you got this bit of information but there's still more you could learn if you come back" narrative.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

PinkDawn posted:

Well he's already refought the Rats at least once (with the characters briefly wondering how that was even possible) and Lobotomy Corporation was very eager to make sure all the gameplay conceits (like the simplistic artstyle and ability to redo a day) were all deeply integrated into the narrative...

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MiiNiPaa posted:

This also raises question of time passage on Warp Train: if time flows normally here, then Library broke casuality by bringing Molar before they left the train several days later. Otherwise, every second on train some larger amount of time passes oustside, and that means that train trip was ... Longer than you think!

I appreciated this reference, Long Jaunt is good stuff.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
is anyone going to make a U2 joke about Bono or will I have to?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

MiiNiPaa posted:

I agree, keypages of Big Bird IRL, Copyright Infrigement and Traffic Light looks good on your Librarians. And you can get their heads as Battle Symbols! Though I didn't find a way to get Alloc yet.

If you still want to know after the fight, ask again.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I love Dalloc's ribbons. They're a delightfully absurd accessory to put on all... that.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
People holding a genuine, casual conversation while also being horrifying cyborg abominations is such a trippy aesthetic, and I'm all for it.

Though I do have a gripe about Dalloc -- notice how the emoji on one of her screens changes in the still image. Now notice how she doesn't have alternate facesets despite being able to (literally) emote.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 4, 2022

Ashardalon125
Apr 14, 2021
One of my favourite things that folks who don't want the videos might not notice is that Dalloc, despite her cutesy appearance, has a surprisingly deep and mellow voice.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It's going to be interesting jumping back and forth between such disparate plotlines going forward. Here, we have the Mystery of the WARP Train, meanwhile Full-Stop gave us Argalia, who has a skeleton medic buddy named after a Roman god and just recruited a cult leader who herself recruits dissatisfied office drones for... something.

Is there a connection, or will they remain seperate? What's on the other two tracks? Remains to be seen.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Junpei posted:

...a skeleton medic buddy named after a Roman god....

You never know, maybe he's actually named after the planet.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Arcvasti posted:

I'm in for the Omori/Ruina crossover.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Arcvasti posted:

Or the Mickey Mouse dog!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

MetaMeme posted:

Can't wait to book him. Only then will U2 be put out of their misery.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Fanart post updated.

Dear god it'd been over 30 pages.

I shouldn't put it off so long in the future. :negative:

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

TeeQueue posted:

I made this as pennance for missing an update, and it's now eternalized here.

Penance.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Too bad we didn't have fanarts of the gang celebrating Christmas or New Year.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On the 25th of December, the Jingle Syndicate goes to every house in the City and steals their children if they don't hand over presents

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I was hoping we would come back to the train mystery, maybe we can get some closure on it. (Or maybe this will be the last we ever hear of it, I don't really know).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Qrr posted:

I'm in for the Omori/Ruina crossover.

My god. What would the risk level of an abnormality born of a broken violin be, anyways?