Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

There's no way to do it to the target of your focus target without switching however, I do have a macro that does it but it'll cause you to temporarily switch targets. The macro in question being:

code:
/assist <f>
/pac "Embrace" <t>
/targetlasttarget
But you'll visibly switch targets for one frame doing so, and it'd mess with any other /targetlasttarget you might use. It's still handy at times for me since I often have the boss as focus target to be able to see their cast bars without having them targetted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Has anyone else had a /tell from a gilseller and been unable to blacklist them? I even tried "/blist add <r>" and it tried to blacklist the person who sent me a tell before the gilseller.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

You can just right click their name and add to blacklist, can't you? Or am I thinking of some other game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ActionZero posted:

Has anyone else had a /tell from a gilseller and been unable to blacklist them? I even tried "/blist add <r>" and it tried to blacklist the person who sent me a tell before the gilseller.

I think if someone sends you a friend request you first have to deny the request before it'll let you blacklist them, see if that's the issue.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Today on FFXIV Forum Safari: The thought of an easy/"story" version of the coils (so non-raiders and those who cant dedicate time to a static can experience the storyline) makes people REALLY ANGRY.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/197916-Coil-Story-mode-in-development./

I think this is my favorite post in the thread:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/197916-Coil-Story-mode-in-development.?p=2507273#post2507273

Survey to our raiding crowd here: How many of you do Coil JUST for the storyline, and not the loot? In short, people are getting mad for other players asking for an easier version of coil that would most likely have no loot, and just advance the storyline instead.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 17, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DarkstarIV posted:

Today on FFXIV Forum Safari: The thought of an easy/"story" version of the coils (so non-raiders and those who cant dedicate time to a static can experience the storyline) makes people REALLY ANGRY.

Yeah, if I remember rightly, Rift did something similar - one- or two-man mini-versions of the big story-centric raids called "Chronicles", and lots of raiders got pissed about it if I remember right.

I thought the idea was neat and liked them. :shobon: A similar idea in FF14 would be neat imo.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Demicol posted:

You can just right click their name and add to blacklist, can't you? Or am I thinking of some other game.
Yes, but the option didn't appear on the menu.

Brother Entropy posted:

I think if someone sends you a friend request you first have to deny the request before it'll let you blacklist them, see if that's the issue.
That was my first thought but no, they hadn't sent me a request.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 17, 2014

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Were any details about the marriage system given out? My SO is really hyped about that.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

DarkstarIV posted:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/197916-Coil-Story-mode-in-development./

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/197916-Coil-Story-mode-in-development.?p=2507273#post2507273

Survey to our raiding crowd here: How many of you do Coil JUST for the storyline, and not the loot? In short, people are getting mad for other players asking for an easier version of coil that would most likely have no loot, and just advance the storyline instead.

I am not a raider but I would love this.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

DarkstarIV posted:

This is one of those things that I don't think is totally necessary, but doesn't really bug me. I can't speak for other groups but the raiders in my FC have carried a bunch of more casual members through T5 and will probably do the same with T9 in a couple months. I guess if you don't have many friends in game it would be nice though.

As to why I raid, it's primarily for the experience and the challenge of trying to beat hard content. The loot is nice too.

ActionZero posted:

Yes, but the option didn't appear on the menu.

That was my first thought but no, they hadn't sent me a request.

You can't blacklist people who are offline, so it's possible they logged or got kicked immediately after sending you that tell.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Failboattootoot posted:

I am not a raider but I would love this.

I don't look up any spoilers and feel cool watching the story when I beat a turn for the first time. If you're a casual scrub just go watch it on youtube. Also Yoshi-p has said the coil story won't tie into the continuing main story so don't worry about it.

CrimsonObserver
May 24, 2012

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Were any details about the marriage system given out? My SO is really hyped about that.

Fanfest proper hasn't started yet, starts tomorrow morning. You're more likely going to hear about Eternal Bond a month from now, its not coming in 2.4 so you'll probably get news on it from the live letter at the Tokyo fanfest.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

DarkstarIV posted:

I love getting loot from Coil, and the fights are fun when you finally learn how to do them, but I think this would be great for people who have trouble forming statics, or those who just want to do the story. People who complain about this kinda thing should be paid no attention, they're probably the same ones that want 1.0 back :v:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
How do these people feel about the ability to look up the cutscenes and poo poo on YouTube? That's even less effort than a simplified raid.

Veks
May 12, 2012

Jibo posted:

How do these people feel about the ability to look up the cutscenes and poo poo on YouTube? That's even less effort than a simplified raid.

You know it's not the same, come on. It's not your character in those videos, that's important for some people. It's not the same watching an LP of a game than actually playing it, please.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Apparently Belzac is the idiot who gets mad. How shocking. I don't care because it doesn't really affect me. I raid because it's fun to do the encounters, and having an easier version available doesn't take away from that at all.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm not mad at the idea that casuals get to watch cutscenes from uber elite raids, I'd be mad that the devs took time to make easier versions of the fights which would take away from content I actually care about.

And there are already easy versions of the raids, it's called wait for echo.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Veks posted:

You know it's not the same, come on. It's not your character in those videos, that's important for some people. It's not the same watching an LP of a game than actually playing it, please.
Here's the thing. You didn't beat the content, you don't get to be in the video. Go watch youtube.

CrimsonObserver
May 24, 2012

Belzac posted:

I'm not mad at the idea that casuals get to watch cutscenes from uber elite raids, I'd be mad that the devs took time to make easier versions of the fights which would take away from content I actually care about.

You know how long it takes to copy paste the instance, remove trash, lower some HP and Strength values and increase the delay on timers? Like 30 seconds. Its not like MONTHS long worth of dev time is going to be spent building an entirely new instance from scratch. This literally hurts no one and probably even makes the game better from a larger perspective.

Veks
May 12, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

Here's the thing. You didn't beat the content, you don't get to be in the video. Go watch youtube.

In the hypothetical scenario in which SE made the Story Mode versions, they would've beaten the content, so...

Veks fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 17, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Belzac posted:

:goonsay:

ilifinicus posted:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Belzac posted:

ilifinicus posted:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm not against story mode content, not at all. What I would prefer to happen tho is that they dedicate the same amount of time per person working on Story Mode content as the people who are not able to beat the actual content are able to dedicate in one sitting when they play FFXIV. So you have eight people working on it that will spend 1 hour a week working on it. First Coil story mode done sometime 2016?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Is this the FFXIV equivalent of WoW's "All that work on ______ could have been a new five man dungeon!"?

Those people were stupid, and you're stupid too.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

I'm not against story mode content, not at all. What I would prefer to happen tho is that they dedicate the same amount of time per person working on Story Mode content as the people who are not able to beat the actual content are able to dedicate in one sitting when they play FFXIV. So you have eight people working on it that will spend 1 hour a week working on it. First Coil story mode done sometime 2016?

This is a really incoherent sentence but I'm assuming you're making fun of people for not wanting to or not having the time available to raid so I'm just gonna laugh at you for being a dumb MMO nerd either way

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Belzac posted:

Do you even actually play the game, or do you just lurk in the thread waiting for opportunities to make yourself look like an rear end?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't like raids so it's cool that someone who doesn't like doing raids can still see all the content the game has to offer (or at least, most of it).

Veks
May 12, 2012

nuru posted:

Is this the FFXIV equivalent of WoW's "All that work on ______ could have been a new five man dungeon!"?

Those people were stupid, and you're stupid too.

"Story Coil cost us a whole raid tier!"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
If you use the word "mad" about a video game then you're going to HATE having Mr. Stewart for home room next year.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
Posting one's thoughts and feelings about possibilities and what-ifs is a pretty common thing for the Internet. It's a neat idea if it comes about, but it's simply something that's up in the air.

I'm still curious about Yoshi's really vague answer in regards to a Bard's Ballad of the Garlean Generals. I would love to see that kind of a Trial surfacing more than i care to wonder about people being able to see cutscenes I saw with my static.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
As someone who has watched features get cut for stuff like this, yes I can safely say there is a limited number of resources to create content, baby coil dungeons would take longer that you think to implement and test, and that if they spent time on making them it would take away from another feature, content, or even possibly cause delays to other things that are already completed since the patch has to come out all at the same time.

This is on top of there already being easy coil, right now. Just queue for Coil 1-5 and enjoy your 20% echo. With a little bit of effort your too can see a dragon head in the flesh.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say, "Adding more hardcore content will take resources away from the other content that I feel is more important, such as more Hildibrand!" or whatever.

Belzac and Ilifinicus' attitude is a very specific case of "gently caress you, got mine" and it's really weird.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

This is a really incoherent sentence but I'm assuming you're making fun of people for not wanting to or not having the time available to raid so I'm just gonna laugh at you for being a dumb MMO nerd either way
What I am saying is that one should not dedicate resources on something like "easy coil" so that other content gets cut, delayed or otherwise, because development requires a lot of resources in human hours and those are finite even in work hell aka Japan. So if anything, spend the same amount of time on developing it per week as a people are spending on trying to be able to see the cut scenes from the original version themselves. Often this is zero. So I'm being generous with 1 hour per week.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Wait are people here legit against this idea or what? I feel like I'm living in Poe's Law.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Jay Rust posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say, "Adding more hardcore content will take resources away from the other content that I feel is more important, such as more Hildibrand!" or whatever.

Belzac and Ilifinicus' attitude is a very specific case of "gently caress you, got mine" and it's really weird.

I will direct you to the Wildstar thread where the Carbine team's focus on leveling content and HARDCORE ELITE RAIDS did have a negative impact on the end game casual fun stuff and caused their game to die.

In fact I would rather than a newbie coil raid for there to be other fun casual stuff, instead of recycled content I did a year ago.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Belzac posted:

As someone who has watched features get cut for stuff like this, yes I can safely say there is a limited number of resources to create content, baby coil dungeons would take longer that you think to implement and test, and that if they spent time on making them it would take away from another feature, content, or even possibly cause delays to other things that are already completed since the patch has to come out all at the same time.

...so? This is true for all content in video games, pointing out that something will take testing and resources as if that's some kind of flaw that means it shouldn't exist is meaningless.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Posting this here since it's gaining traction:

If you're newly raid ready, there's a new static on Excalibur that's aiming to start raid content from scratch and catch up quickly to progression content once 2.4 hits. All of us have raid experience, mostly from WoW.

2 hours/night for 2 nights/week, recruiting now: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27430

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

...so? This is true for all content in video games, pointing out that something will take testing and resources as if that's some kind of flaw that means it shouldn't exist is meaningless.

I am super mad that developers spend time on anything that doesn't appeal to me personally in video games. The fact that anything besides Hildebrand and PVP exists in this game is infuriating.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

ili and Balzac are both huge nerds but I agree that having "story coil" would be sort of dumb because any attempt at creating it would either take more time than it warrants or look like a halfassed mess. And between echo and gear we're at a point where 6 or 7 dudes can just straight up carry a dead body through T5. T9 will be the same soon enough and then, even if you absolutely cannot manage to get through final coil while it's relevant, the expansion will trivialize it and then you can go experience it firsthand if you must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Klades posted:

ili and Balzac are both huge nerds but I agree that having "story coil" would be sort of dumb because any attempt at creating it would either take more time than it warrants or look like a halfassed mess. And between echo and gear we're at a point where 6 or 7 dudes can just straight up carry a dead body through T5. T9 will be the same soon enough and then, even if you absolutely cannot manage to get through final coil while it's relevant, the expansion will trivialize it and then you can go experience it firsthand if you must.

How dare you not think that story coil the best thing since Gilgamesh. You must be an elite raid sperg.

• Locked thread