Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

jfballin posted:

I'd be interested in something like this too if anyone has a recommendation.

The Logitech DiNovo mini is the perfect HTPC device in my opinion, but you definitely can't game on it.

If you get something bigger, get bluetooth because wireless and IR suck and you will want to throw the keyboard into a ravine after a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I've been using one of these for my HTPC since last March. Not without its faults (touchpad mostly) but it works fine for minor navigation in Windows and for basic keyboard commands in VLC/media center (etc.) I only have to charge it once every other month or so, and only then because it doubles as a cat toy with the built-in laser pointer.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

If you have an iOS device, use MobileMouse. No gaming but its great for getting around your PC and typing.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
Any recommendation for a good goon throne? I would like to spend under $200.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

jfballin posted:

I'd be interested in something like this too if anyone has a recommendation.

I've got a HTPC myself and I use just the regular old mid-range Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. The mouse works just fine on my coffee table or couch from across the room and is just fine for gaming.

Anyway, I've got a job interview on Skype coming up next week and I have never done a video chat thing before. Can someone recommend a good, cheap webcam and microphone?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
With my HTPC I got really tired of using kb/m so I just got a Roku to stream from Plex, and now I control it all with a Harmony remote.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Linco posted:

Any recommendation for a good goon throne? I would like to spend under $200.

http://www.signaturehardware.com/pr...CFYuZ4AodGSkAiA

:v:

Bili Rubin
Jun 29, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good product for getting stains out of clothes? Food mostly. My kid has become a messier eater lately.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
I have a mess on my bedside table. I keep cellphone and iPod charging cables, my iPod, watches, loose change, my wallet, loose imporant papers I keep there temporarily for quick access and my car keys on it. Oh, and my laptop since I don't have a desk or any other suitable surface in my room.

It doesn't have a drawer, it's just a table.

Could someone please recomend me something that will keep my poo poo organised so I don't have to mess with it every morning and every night? I have no idea what kind of item I'm looking for. How do you organise your things?

Edit: I just realised I could get a couple of small drawers and place it below that table. However I would like something I could have on the table so it's easily reachable once I'm in bed.

Cacahuate has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Jan 4, 2013

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I'm looking for a desk. I want a long desk so I can have my laptop on one end and be able to scoot over and use the other end for writing, reading, etc. I also want some kind of storage thing that doesn't detract from the usable space, although I could theoretically use something totally separate for this. I was thinking of these Ikea Expedit desks with the storage cubes on the end but I can't seem to find any that are long enough. Any suggestions? It has to be asthetically pleasing too, for my wife's sake, as it's going in the bedroom...

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Obsolete posted:

I'm looking for a new showerhead. My current showerhead has a crazy amount of pressure, which is really nice, but it drains hot water really, really quickly. We have a 67 gallon tank that runs out of hot water in about 15 minutes. This would be fine, except my wife takes aggressively long showers, meaning that anyone else that needs to shower has to wait for the tank to recharge.

I'm looking for a low flow showerhead that has both low water usage (obviously) but still maintains decent pressure. If it comes with a detachable wand attachment, that's also a plus but not a requirement.

I just bought this Delta handheld showerhead a few weeks ago and I love it. I had to scrap my old one due to mineral buildup, the nozzles clogged up and rubbing them clean just ripped them off. This one has great pressure, the hose is long enough to reach all the way around the bathtub for cleaning, and supposedly it will be easier to keep clean. I haven't used the "pause" feature, didn't even know that it had that. An added bonus is that my old one had some stupid rear end valve at the shower arm to prevent backflow that would leak all over the drat place after you turned the water off (the manual said to expect that), it would run down the hose and end up on the floor. This one does not have any such bullshit.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

What's the deal with shipping from this company? It says shipping is free on orders over $100, but it's trying to charge me $80+ for shipping (to Canada)... I don't think I'm going to get one if the shipping costs the same as the friggin' bag.

Anyone have any other nice bag recommendations?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Obsolete posted:

I'm looking for a new showerhead. My current showerhead has a crazy amount of pressure, which is really nice, but it drains hot water really, really quickly. We have a 67 gallon tank that runs out of hot water in about 15 minutes. This would be fine, except my wife takes aggressively long showers, meaning that anyone else that needs to shower has to wait for the tank to recharge.

I'm looking for a low flow showerhead that has both low water usage (obviously) but still maintains decent pressure. If it comes with a detachable wand attachment, that's also a plus but not a requirement.

Have you considered an on-demand water heater? They're a bit expensive up front, but it will eventually pay for itself (only on when you're using it) and would allow you to retain your current shower head and not have to deal with long recovery times. Plus it should be the last water heater you'll have to buy as there's no tank to rust out.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

The Berzerker posted:

What's the deal with shipping from this company? It says shipping is free on orders over $100, but it's trying to charge me $80+ for shipping (to Canada)... I don't think I'm going to get one if the shipping costs the same as the friggin' bag.

Anyone have any other nice bag recommendations?

http://macinbag.com/

Try this, Canadian buddy. I've written to Booq about their free shipping and it only applies to the US, which is something we were supposed to guess, because it isn't written anywhere on the site.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Can someone recommend a good yet cheap slip case for a 13 inch MacBook air just so it doesn't get banged and scratched when I toss it in a messenger bag?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

internet inc posted:

http://macinbag.com/

Try this, Canadian buddy. I've written to Booq about their free shipping and it only applies to the US, which is something we were supposed to guess, because it isn't written anywhere on the site.

You are a cool individual. Macinbag has the one I like, and the one I like a bit more, and the shipping is like $25. Fantastic!

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

Can someone recommend a good yet cheap slip case for a 13 inch MacBook air just so it doesn't get banged and scratched when I toss it in a messenger bag?

I have this one for my 11 inch and I really like it. I usually just toss my computer in my backpack, and its still looks great after two years.

Its thin, and light, and it comes in a ton of colors and as a top and side loader.

Be-ez LA robe for 13-Inch MacBook Air

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

duffmensch posted:

Any recommendations for a Bluetooth music receiver similar to the Belkin F8Z492 Music Receiver ? The stereos they'd be used with don't have Bluetooth as an option and I'd rather pay $25-$30 to add it rather than buying a whole new stereo.

I can't speak for that one, but I did get a Logitech one for xmas and have no complaints. I haven't used it much yet since I put it on my garage stereo out in the frigid tundra of the outdoors, but the couple times I did use it it worked just fine and seems well made.

For a few bucks less I think I'd be willing to take the chance on the belkin one, though especially if you open it up and remove the shielding as per the reviews.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

West Elm (at least the one next to me) is currently selling heavily discounted wool felt laptop sleeves. Look in the clearance section.

Bili Rubin posted:

Can anyone recommend a good product for getting stains out of clothes? Food mostly. My kid has become a messier eater lately.

Vanish Stain Bar. Worth the Amazon price and lasts for-ev-er. I have had the same one for 14 years and it's only half used.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any recommendations for a decent blender? I've seen the ridiculous $500 models, but I'm currently using a $50 blender that is about to die. All I use it for are for breakfast shakes, but I'm not interested in having to replace it every couple of months.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Any recommendations for a decent blender? I've seen the ridiculous $500 models, but I'm currently using a $50 blender that is about to die. All I use it for are for breakfast shakes, but I'm not interested in having to replace it every couple of months.

Costco sells an Oster brand blender for around $50. I've been using mine nearly daily for close to 2 years now and I've never had an issue with shakes, including frozen fruit or ice. For me a big part is simplicity, and its easy to take apart to clean as well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I use this guy and it's working pretty well: http://www.amazon.com/Waring-WPB80BC-Professional-Blender-48-Ounce/dp/B0013HW1II/ref=sr_1_43?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357586824&sr=1-43

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Hey there. So in the near future I will be headed on a cross country road trip/move. I am getting a basic roof rack to put luggage in so the trunk/back seat can have our misc things we dont trust the moving company with (yakima q towers for what it is worth). Any recommendations for a small cargo box? Are soft bags properly tied down a safe choice (for waterproofing etc)? I would prefer something small so wind is not a huge issue and I can keep it n my closet.

SciFunk
Mar 2, 2006
Libertas per scientiam.

Gyshall posted:

Consumer Reports loves the VitaMix, but the second highest rating they have is for the Ninja QB1004, which is $60 on Amazon.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

dreesemonkey posted:

I can't speak for that one, but I did get a Logitech one for xmas and have no complaints. I haven't used it much yet since I put it on my garage stereo out in the frigid tundra of the outdoors, but the couple times I did use it it worked just fine and seems well made.

For a few bucks less I think I'd be willing to take the chance on the belkin one, though especially if you open it up and remove the shielding as per the reviews.

Does that thing run on batteries or only off of AC? I'm looking for something to plug into the aux-in in my car, but I need it to either charge off of 5V USB or has good battery life.

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007
What's the best option in point and shoot cameras at the moment? I'm going on my honeymoon in a few months and don't really want to lug the DSLR everywhere.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Meeper posted:

What's the best option in point and shoot cameras at the moment? I'm going on my honeymoon in a few months and don't really want to lug the DSLR everywhere.

The Canons are a solid choice, specifically the S90/S95/S110. Oddly the S100 is less favored on Amazon and the digital photography forums, and since I have no experience with that specific one I withold comment. But the fact that even the 2009 S90 still sells for a fairly high price means they are favorable point and shoots.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Blindeye posted:

Hey there. So in the near future I will be headed on a cross country road trip/move. I am getting a basic roof rack to put luggage in so the trunk/back seat can have our misc things we dont trust the moving company with (yakima q towers for what it is worth). Any recommendations for a small cargo box? Are soft bags properly tied down a safe choice (for waterproofing etc)? I would prefer something small so wind is not a huge issue and I can keep it n my closet.

I used a soft bag and didn't have a roof rack, it worked fine after adjusting a bit. Also I have a Toyota Echo if that matters.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Everyone loves the Sony RX100

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Honestly I'd just get a relatively cheap (say, ~$150-200) point and shoot if you already have a dSLR, pretty much anything that requires an associate with a key at the electronics store will take good enough pictures and if the camera gets lost/stolen/dropped in the pool or other body of water you're only out a hundred or two dollars.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Boogeyman posted:

I just bought this Delta handheld showerhead a few weeks ago and I love it. I had to scrap my old one due to mineral buildup, the nozzles clogged up and rubbing them clean just ripped them off.
Next time, fill a gallon ziplock bag partway with white vinegar and tape it above the showerhead so it's completely immersed for an hour.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations on a lunch box / cooler type thing for lunch? Mind you, a fairly large lunch.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Bhodi posted:

Next time, fill a gallon ziplock bag partway with white vinegar and tape it above the showerhead so it's completely immersed for an hour.

Tried that and CLR, didn't have much luck with either. I think it was more of a problem with the way the nozzles were designed, they were little flexible rubber nubs instead of how a shower nozzle normally is. I think they were clogging up internally, then I'd go to scrape at them with a fingernail when they started spraying funny and the nubs would just break off. I think I only paid like $25 for it when I first moved in, so I'm not surprised it turned out to be a piece of poo poo. I like the new one a lot more, it's a much better design.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Etrips posted:

Any recommendations on a lunch box / cooler type thing for lunch? Mind you, a fairly large lunch.

I've personally always wanted one of these. It's a big pricey but fits a lot of food.
http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SL-JAE14-Bento-Stainless-Silver/dp/B000246GSE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357663323&sr=8-2&keywords=bento

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Only one of those can hold anything with any liquid/moisture in it. Even something moderately juicy will leak out of all the others into the general container and onto the bag. I don't mean soup; the "main course" they show with the noodles will leak the scant moisture in the sauce unless you keep it perfectly vertical while walking to work (using the shoulder strap leaves it hanging at an angle).

If you drive to work though, it could be useful. Taking mass transit had me jostling around and trying to get kimchi smell out of my bag for a week (and I pre-strained the kimchi).

EDIT: Most of the reviews are positive, so maybe I just got a bum set.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

The Light Eternal posted:

I used a soft bag and didn't have a roof rack, it worked fine after adjusting a bit. Also I have a Toyota Echo if that matters.

What kind? How good was the waterproofing?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Geektox posted:

Does that thing run on batteries or only off of AC? I'm looking for something to plug into the aux-in in my car, but I need it to either charge off of 5V USB or has good battery life.

It's AC only, and there isn't an off button either as far as I can tell, either.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Blindeye posted:

What kind? How good was the waterproofing?

I had this one. I put my clothes in it and they were inside vacuum storage bags so I'm not 100% sure about the waterproofing. I didn't notice any moisture inside the bag though.

One problem I did have was that I hit a huge storm in South Dakota and water leaked into my car on the straps. It wasn't bad compared to how bad the rain was though. It could also be because my car is a coupe so the straps were set up kinda weird.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

Is there a good waterproof clock/radio mp3 player to put in the shower? I'd prefer it to have some sort of flash/memory card storage for mp3s, but if it reads mp3s on cds that's fine too.

I know this is pages ago, but I love listening to music in the shower and this little solution saved me a lot of trouble. I listen with Google Music/TuneIn Radio on my phone set on the edge of the tub protected with a ziplock snack bag. If you're paranoid you can use a freezer bag folded over. Sounds fine and you can still use the touchscreen and volume buttons. Also comes in handy if you're expecting an important text or email :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

CrackSpider posted:

I know this is pages ago, but I love listening to music in the shower and this little solution saved me a lot of trouble. I listen with Google Music/TuneIn Radio on my phone set on the edge of the tub protected with a ziplock snack bag. If you're paranoid you can use a freezer bag folded over. Sounds fine and you can still use the touchscreen and volume buttons. Also comes in handy if you're expecting an important text or email :v:

I did the same, but I was unhappy with the volume of the speaker phone so I picked up a little rechargable capsule speaker and now I just leave it on the counter.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Mini-II-Cap...ule+speaker+usb

• Locked thread