Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
A number of sources are reporting the 164 minutes runtime thing, most convincingly Warner Bros' Russian distributor. It's feasable that the final cut is pretty much done now, so this could be true after all.

2 hours and 44 minutes of Hobbit that ends at the Eagle rescue. Sounds stretched at first, until you realise that (just considering the book material) it has bascially the same structure as the film version of Fellowship.

Hobbiton <-> Hobbiton
Gandalf / Saruman <-> Gandalf / Necromancer
Weathertop <-> Trollshaws
Rivendell <-> Rivendell
Misty Mountains / Avalanche <-> Misty Mountains / Stone Giants
Moria <-> Goblin Town
Uruk Chase <-> Warg Chase
Lothlorian <-> Eagle Eyrie (ok these are slightly out-of-order but you get the idea)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

A number of sources are reporting the 164 minutes runtime thing, most convincingly Warner Bros' Russian distributor. It's feasable that the final cut is pretty much done now, so this could be true after all.

2 hours and 44 minutes of Hobbit that ends at the Eagle rescue. Sounds stretched at first, until you realise that (just considering the book material) it has bascially the same structure as the film version of Fellowship.

Hobbiton <-> Hobbiton
Gandalf / Saruman <-> Gandalf / Necromancer
Weathertop <-> Trollshaws
Rivendell <-> Rivendell
Misty Mountains / Avalanche <-> Misty Mountains / Stone Giants
Moria <-> Goblin Town
Uruk Chase <-> Warg Chase
Lothlorian <-> Eagle Eyrie (ok these are slightly out-of-order but you get the idea)

Don't forget that in Two Towers/Desolation you'll have Fangorn/Mirkwood and Edoras/Beorn's house.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

PJ has uploaded some new photos from the movie: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151248462481558.511909.141884481557&type=1

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Loving that sword, and the design of that axe is badass.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

I'm guessing that that's Orcrist he's got there? Pretty awesome.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That shot does a great job of making Bombur look short.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I will never get tired of seeing this fatass dwarf :allears:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I will never get tired of seeing this fatass dwarf :allears:

How did he get on top of that table though? :iiam:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How did he get on top of that table though? :iiam:

Someone tossed him up there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Silly ten dollar bitcoin, everyone knows you can't toss a dwarf!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

jivjov posted:

Well, since "The Incident", at any rate.

Who's to say that was pre-Hobbit?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Dwarvs invented slamdunks, he jumped up there, true fact.

Aquelia
Oct 22, 2009

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

No one tosses a dwarf.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Wait, what is it that no-one does to Dwarves again?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Gives them handjobs.

Anyway, that looks like Rivendell, I'm sure there was an elf on hand to find him a box.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Tickles. No one tickles a dwarf.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jivjov posted:

You can, as long as you don't tell the elves.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
He's cute! I bet if you hug him it's like hugging Santa.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I just noticed this- I'm all for funny but really don't want to break immersion. Can't help but think this might be a joke.

HuffPo entertainment bullshit? posted:

It is perhaps one of the most unexpected of casting rumors: Stephen Colbert is reportedly making an appearance in Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit." In an interview with Playboy, Colbert let it slip that he spent some time with Jackson at the movie's New Zealand set.

The "Colbert Report" host will only admit that he visited the set, refusing to answer when pressed about his involvement in the picture. He simply says, "could be" when asked if he is in the film.

THR, however, is reporting that a source has confirmed Colbert's appearance in one of the upcoming films. While Colbert will not appear in the first movie, "Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," it is set to release December 14.

The article links to a The Hollywood Reporter article, but it does't provide any more details.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I just noticed this- I'm all for funny but really don't want to break immersion. Can't help but think this might be a joke.

The article links to a The Hollywood Reporter article, but it does't provide any more details.

This is nothing new. The one dude from Flight of the Concords was in LOTR, and about half of the crew was in ROTK alone.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Mahoning posted:

The one dude from Flight of the Concords was in LOTR,

Really? Where? This is the first I've heard of it, though admittedly I haven't been looking.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Vicissitude posted:

Really? Where? This is the first I've heard of it, though admittedly I haven't been looking.

Bret was one of the elves at the council of Elrond. Actually, he was famous for being a random background elf way before anybody had even heard of Flight of the Conchords: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figwit

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Vicissitude posted:

And they've brought him back in a slightly larger role for The Hobbit. He plays the Rivendell Elf "Lindir". The name means "singer", and yes it is a canon character.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Out of curiosity, has there been any publicity for this film at all that's interesting or cool? Talk show appearances and the like? I had this really weird fantasy the other day for a great way to promote the movie on a talk show with a geeky host like Craig Ferguson who appreciates geeky poo poo. Have, like, Martin Freeman, Ian Mckellan, and Richard Armitage all come out like normal to promote the film, and then have them slowly, two by two, bring all the rest of the dwarf-actors from the film. Basically, play out the Beorn scene except with Ferguson as the flustered host. That'd be so freakin' cool, I always loved that scene :allears:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

kaworu posted:

Out of curiosity, has there been any publicity for this film at all that's interesting or cool? Talk show appearances and the like? I had this really weird fantasy the other day for a great way to promote the movie on a talk show with a geeky host like Craig Ferguson who appreciates geeky poo poo. Have, like, Martin Freeman, Ian Mckellan, and Richard Armitage all come out like normal to promote the film, and then have them slowly, two by two, bring all the rest of the dwarf-actors from the film. Basically, play out the Beorn scene except with Ferguson as the flustered host. That'd be so freakin' cool, I always loved that scene :allears:

The cast interviews are usually poo poo because they are all under gagging orders.

For "interesting or cool" publicity, you might want to check out the eight or so video diaries Peter Jackson has posted on his facebook page.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

And they've brought him back in a slightly larger role for The Hobbit. He plays the Rivendell Elf "Lindir". The name means "singer", and yes it is a canon character.

... please, please, please let him sing tra-la-la-lally here down in the valley. That's seriously all he needs to show up for.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taking odds on the probability of a Jack Black cameo.

Quality_Guaranteed
Jan 23, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Data Graham posted:

Weren't there rumors that Patton Oswalt was going to play Bilbo Baggins at one point? I'm talking years ago when Guillermo was still attached to this. I swear I heard somewhere that Patton was going to be Bilbo.

Martin Freeman is cool and all, but man, I'll always think about what could have been... :smith:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I popped into the Weta Cave today, hardly any Hobbit stuff but they had replicas of some of the weapons, as well as the Conditions of Employment contract thing (it's ridiculously long, got bits that fold out etc.)

Orcrist, Sting, misc. Dwarf daggers. All the weapons are loving huuuge.

Most of the Contract

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I, uh.. anyone want to transcribe that?

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

LucyWanabe posted:

He's cute! I bet if you hug him it's like hugging Santa.

An alcoholic, fun sized and potentially homocidal Santa with bacon breath.

Data Graham posted:

I cast him as Samwise Gamgee's jolly obese grandfather.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

feedmyleg posted:

I, uh.. anyone want to transcribe that?

Good news, some sperg already has!

E: well, mostly. I thought it was straight from the book, but it's too long obviously :downs:

exmarx fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 22, 2012

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
That prop is a thing of beauty.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
A very reliable source told me that Jack Black will be making an appearance playing Tom Bombadil.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Sure, that sound reasonable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kyle Gass as his wife or nothing at all :colbert:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Needless to say, the Balrog was stunned.
Whip-crack went his Whoopy tail,
And the beast was done.
He asked us: "(snort) Be you Maiar?"
And I said, "Nay. I am but Tom."
Rock!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
The best part about where they're having the first movie end?

It's going to be right about where my three-year-old son and I will be with our reading. He asks a lot of questions, so it's going pretty slowly. We just made it to "riddles in the dark".

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

kiimo posted:

And the beast was done.
Rock!

Are you suggesting that "Hey dol merry dol" is the best song in the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kiimo posted:

And the beast was done.
Rock!

drat it, now I want to see this, and I HATE Tom Bombadil.

• Locked thread