Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Kobal2 posted:

Well, I'll be in C2 doing damage that'll be instantly healed over.
I'd suggest dropping pillars in C3, B4, D5 (might as well hurt the demon some, and he's not moving)

If you wanted to ignore going invis this round, you could hit the sun demon with the top of scurry then move 2 over to C2?

For the items, do you think it would be best to wait until we get the boss close to 12 hitpoints to use them both to seal the deal? I worry that if we use them right off the bat they could get wiped away with a couple rounds of self-healing.

Also, Ash will be in C5 after their turn, so I'd prefer not dropping the 3rd obstacle in D5 since it would be unnecessary damage. The Demon will get hit by the obstacles dropped in C3 or B4.

Reik fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Reik, where are you going to be standing? I know Ash will be in C5 and Splinter in C2, but are you doing a generic Move2?

I'd prefer NOT to push the demon because unless you can guarantee Ash moves slower than The Colorless next turn, he won't see The Colorless. And then would focus the demon and go waddling off after it and take FOREVER to get to melee range for The Colorless.

I think this is our best plan, but feel free to push back, all y'all:

SPLINTER: Scurry to C2 and stab The Colorless (maybe we get lucky and it does more damage than the Sun Demon can heal back). Go invisible.
ASH: Automatically moves to C5 and swipes at the demon.
PIKACHU: Energizing Strike with Ash on the demon. Use Forceful Strike to move Ash to the coin tile and ignore the rest of the card. Don't do the push.
ROCKY: Create pillars in B4, C3, and THE DOOR HEX (no turning back!) and...that's it. If I can't drop into the door hex, drop the 3rd pillar in E4 because who cares.

Post-turn plan, thanks to your knowledge of the boss deck (is this cheating?)

Ash uses minor stamina potion to get back Concentrated Rage and Relentless Ally, which allows a move at 81--with The Colorless no longer invisible. Activate Concentrated Rage which will give Ash some crazy powerful attacks for the duration of the fight.
Rocky short rest because, uh...I have to
No idea re: Splinter

I think we can just kinda ignore the Sun Demon until it becomes a threat. And if we kill The Colorless, who cares about it?

Also, let's not use the items until he's significantly burned down. It'd be demoralizing as hell for him to heal back that damage.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Reik posted:

If you wanted to ignore going invis this round, you could hit the sun demon with the top of scurry then move 2 over to C2?

That's actually a great idea I hadn't thought of, thanks !

quote:

For the items, do you think it would be best to wait until we get the boss close to 12 hitpoints to use them both to seal the deal? I worry that if we use them right off the bat they could get wiped away with a couple rounds of self-healing.

Yeah, I think we should only use them to burst him down if and when it gets it dead for sure.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
All bosses use the same deck, so we've already seen their ability deck before. We've worked in this thread that the ability decks of monsters we've seen before is open information.

My plan is to have Ash stay on the Sun Demon until it is dead, and once I get Concentrated Rage set up I can always forego a bottom action to have Ash move 6 on their turn, so they should be able to make it to the boss in a single turn.

I don't remember if this group has fought Sun Demons before, but they have a couple nasty attacks, and between those nasty attacks and healing the boss I think it makes sense to burn it down before shifting focus.

Reik fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 2, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Reik posted:

I don't remember if this group has fought Sun Demons before, but they have a couple nasty attacks, and between those nasty attacks and healing the boss I think it makes sense to burn it down before shifting focus.

Yeah, now that we've got the summoning more or less contained, finishing off the mook makes more sense. If that's the plan, it might be cool to push it in melee range of me (D2) so that I can hit it with my sword without having to drive closer.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Reik posted:

All bosses use the same deck, so we've already seen their ability deck before. We've worked in this thread that the ability decks of monsters we've seen before is open information.

That is correct and I should have posted the boss's deck at the beginning of the mission:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh wow, we got kind of lucky then with him not summoning last turn before we could bottle him up.

Alright, didn't know sun demons were dangerous, and if Ash can hustle on over I'm up for trying to kill it first.

I'm going to not do a bottom action and will drop pillars in B4, C3, and E4 (who cares about E4; it's a waste). I am then short resting TIG, please consider that my move order without a PM.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Temple of the Eclipse, Round 15B

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- None!

14. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Kobal2) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Scurry (top)! Moves2 to C3. Attacks Sun Demon 6(E) for 2 (1base, +0mod +2bonus, SHIELD1) damage!
Sun Demon 6(E) is at 11 HP.
- Master Splinter uses Into the Night (bot)! Moves1 to C2.
Master Splinter uses Empowering Talisman to recover Minor Stamina Potion!
Master Splinter uses Minor Stamina Potion to recover Perverse Edge and Scurry.

I'll try to implement that "damage markers" idea in a different way - instead of having ongoing damage counters, I'll only show how much damage has been dealt to everyone in that specific Turn. If this proves to be confusing or too much additional admin, I'll dial it back. Please let me know your feedback on this!

17. Sun Demons posted:

- Sun Demon 6(E) focuses Pikachu! HEAL3, all allies withing Range3.

Same thing goes for Healing and temporary Shield!

29. Pikachu the Vermling Beast Tyrant (Reik) posted:

- Ash the Bear focuses Sun Demon 6(E)! Moves1 to C5. Attacks Sun Demon 6(E) for 2 (2base, +1mod, SHIELD1) damage!
Sun Demon 6(E) is at 9 HP.
- Pikachu uses Energizing Strike (top)! COMMANDS Ash to Attack Sun Demon 6(E) for 3 (4base, +0mod, SHIELD1) damage! Gains 1XP. Ash gains STRENGTHENED.
Sun Demon 6(E) is at 6 HP.
- Pikachu uses Forceful Swipe (bot)! COMMANDS Ash to PUSH2 Sun Demon 6(E) to D3.
Pikachu uses Minor Stamina Potion to recover Energizing Strike and Concentrated Rage.

46. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (FairGame) posted:

- Rocky uses Rock Slide (top)! Creates Obstacles in hexes B4, C3, and E4. The Colorless (BOSS), Sun Demon 6(E) and Master Splinter suffer 2 splash damage!
The Colorless (BOSS) is at 31 HP.
Sun Demon 6(E) is at 4 HP.
Master Splinter is at 7 HP.
- Rocky uses Opposing Strike (bot)! No action taken!
Rocky executes a Short Rest! Recovers all the discarded cards, loses Rock Slide

79. The Colorless (BOSS) posted:

- The Colorless (BOSS) focuses Master Splinter! No empty hex to Summon a Night Demon! Gains INVISIBLE.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

"- Scenario Special Rule: all elements are now inert, LIGHT and DARK are now strong.
- Rocky has the Crystal of Zenith!
- Master Splinter has the Sphere of Midnight!
Special Rule: If any character is adjacent to the altar at the end of their turn, they may discard the Crystal of Zenith or the Sphere of Midnight to cause the Colorless to suffer 2xC damage."

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 3, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I short rested. What’d I lose?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Gonna try and finish off the sun demon this round and prepare to lay in to the boss starting next round. Also, Splinter should be at 6/8 from Rock Slide, right?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^ Splinter has 9HP, being one level higher than Pikachu. She's at 7/9 after being hit by Rock Slide, yeah.

FairGame posted:

I short rested. What’d I lose?

Apologies, forgot about that! You have lost Rock Slide. Please let me know if you want to reroll :)

EDIT: fixed the update.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 3, 2019

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I got the vermlings mixed up, I meant Pikachu should be at 6/8.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reik posted:

I got the vermlings mixed up, I meant Pikachu should be at 6/8.

Ah shoot, yeah I forgot to damage Pikachu! Will fix that before the next update.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Now who’s the vermling racist? :v:

Anyway, moving at “I’ve seen this boss’ deck and know what speed I need to be at so he’s visible while I act” speed. Not doing anything creative; just planning to punch him in the face.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Once we knock out this sun demon, we might be able to do one round per day since I assume our turns won't have much variance: play cards and attack boss if they're visible.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reik posted:

Once we knock out this sun demon, we might be able to do one round per day since I assume our turns won't have much variance: play cards and attack boss if they're visible.

Yeah, we will address the potential timing/repetition thing somehow, if it becomes some kind of punchfest endurance.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Reik posted:

Gonna try and finish off the sun demon this round and prepare to lay in to the boss starting next round. Also, Splinter should be at 6/8 from Rock Slide, right?

Since I can't guarantee acting after the boss with my cards, I was planning on RATSPEEDing the sun demon. Not sure I can kill it dead, but I'll stun him at the very least.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Kobal2 posted:

Since I can't guarantee acting after the boss with my cards, I was planning on RATSPEEDing the sun demon. Not sure I can kill it dead, but I'll stun him at the very least.

That works for me.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Temple of the Eclipse, Round 16A

- Pikachu should be at 6 HP!
- Scenario Special Rule: all elements are now inert, LIGHT and DARK are now strong.
Special Rule: If any character is adjacent to the altar at the end of their turn, they may discard the Crystal of Zenith or the Sphere of Midnight to cause the Colorless to suffer 2xC damage."

ROUND REVEAL posted:

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Master Splinter (Hand4, Discarded2, Active1, Lost3) is acting at initiative 8 with Perverse Edge and Scurry.

8. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Kobal2) posted:

code:
"PERVERSE EDGE (08) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - Add +2ATK and gain XP1 for each negative condition on the target - LOSS
BOT: ATK1, Range(3) - STUN - Generate ICE - XP1"

"SCURRY (20) [Lvl1]
TOP: MOVE(4) - ATK1
BOT: LOOT2 - XP1 - LOSS"
Pikachu (Hand4, Discarded4, Active0, Lost2) is acting at initiative 29 with Energizing Strike and Concentrated Rage.

code:
"ENERGIZING STRIKE (29) [Lvl2]
TOP: COMMAND - ATK4 - STRENGTHEN, Self - XP1
BOT: HEAL1, affect all Allies."

"CONCENTRATED RAGE (51) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK1, Range4 - DISARM
BOT: Persistent Bonus: Before your Bear acts, you may choose to forgo the Top action of your turn to add +3ATK to all your Bear's attacks this round. OR Persistent Bonus: Before your Bear acts, you may choose to forgo the Bottom action of your turn to add +3MOVE to all your Bear's move this round. - LOSS"
Rocky (Hand6, Discarded0, Active0, Lost5) is acting at initiative 77 with Backup Ammunition and Opposing Strike.

77. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (FairGame) posted:

code:
"BACKUP AMMUNITION (77) [Lvl1]
TOP: Persistent Bonus On your next four ranged Attack actions, gain ADD TARGET - Gain XP1 each trigger - LOSS
BOT: MOVE3"

"OPPOSING STRIKE (46) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PBAOE (check image) - XP1
BOT: Permanent Bonus - On the next six melee attacks targeting you, gain RETALIATE2 - Gain XP1 on 2nd, 4th and 6th trigger - LOSS"
During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

No mystery from any of us here, I think.

Rocky punches The Colorless in the face with Opposing Strike. No PM necessary unless you prefer it?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

That's fine. Once the Demon is dead, we may change the pacing a bit since everything is mostly going to be accountable for at the start of each Round then.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If the Sun Demon survives Splinter's attacks, Ash will move up and hopefully finish it off between the attack 2 and 4, otherwise they'll put some damage on the boss. I'll also be setting up the bottom of concentrated rage for the slugfest.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Yeah no big mystery on my end. I kicks and I punches and I bites the only target I gots.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Temple of the Eclipse, Round 16B

- None!

8. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Kobal2) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Perverse Edge (bot)! Attacks Sun Demon 6(E) for 1 (1base, +1mod, SHIELD1) damage!
Sun Demon 6(E) is at 3 HP and is STUNNED!
- Master Splinter uses Scurry (top as a basic ATK2)! Attacks Sun Demon 6(E) for 4 (2base, +1mod +2bonus, SHIELD1) damage!
Sun Demon 6(E) is killed!

:ese:

17. The Colorless (BOSS) posted:

- The Colorless (BOSS) focuses Master Splinter! No valid hex to summon a Sun Demon! HEAL5, Self. Gains SHIELD1. Loses INVISIBLE token.
The Colorless (BOSS) is at 33 HP.

- Ash the Bear focuses The Colorless (BOSS)! Moves2 to D3. Attacks The Colorless (BOSS) with ADVANTAGE for 3 (2base, x2/+1mod, SHIELD1) damage! Loses STRENGTHENED token.
The Colorless (BOSS) is at 30 HP.
- Pikachu uses Energizing Strike (top)! COMMANDS Ash to Attack The Colorless (BOSS) for 5 (4base, +2mod, SHIELD1) damage! Gains 1XP. Ash gains STRENGTHENED.
The Colorless (BOSS) is at 25 HP.
- Pikachu uses Concentrated Rage (bot)! Persistent Bonus: Before your Bear acts, you may choose to forgo the Top action of your turn to add +3ATK to all your Bear's attacks this round. OR Persistent Bonus: Before your Bear acts, you may choose to forgo the Bottom action of your turn to add +3MOVE to all your Bear's move this round.

:tbear: the Scoundrel and the Mindthief are probably the best classes currently available to our party to deal with this boss. In our playthrough we had Tinker+Cragheart+Brute and it was not a fun time.

77. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (FairGame) posted:

- Rocky uses Opposing Strike (top)! Attacks The Colorless (BOSS) for 3 (3base, +1mod, SHIELD1) damage! Gains 1XP.
The Colorless (BOSS) is at 22 HP.
- Rocky uses Backup Ammunition (bot)! No action taken!

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- Pikachu's deck is shuffled!
- The Colorless (BOSS) loses SHIELD1.
- Scenario Special Rule: all elements are now inert, LIGHT and DARK are now strong.

The Boss can still HEAL5, SHIELD1 and turn INVISIBLE, so it's not automatically over, but please send me Step A+B orders for now. The next Round may very well be the last one, since the Boss is now unofficially at 10HP and the Bear has roided up.

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ooff, boss be dead soon. GG wp everyone.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Yeah, don't want to jinx it, but it seems like we have that one in the bag. I'm as surprised as y'all are.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Id like to short rest, rerolling if I lose focused aggression. We just gotta make sure we get the chest, too.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Chest is easy. Pikachu can grab it without causing problems, or Splinter/Rocky can do it as an end of turn thing after nuking the boss with an artifact.

Also, stupid question: why has the boss lost shield1? I thought effects lasted until their next turn.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

FairGame posted:

Chest is easy. Pikachu can grab it without causing problems, or Splinter/Rocky can do it as an end of turn thing after nuking the boss with an artifact.

Also, stupid question: why has the boss lost shield1? I thought effects lasted until their next turn.

Top of page 32 in the rulebook:

"Bonus abilities: Ability card bonuses are activated through actions only when the monster activates and are only active until the end of the round in which the card was drawn."

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There is so much I’ve been doing wrong in this game.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

FairGame posted:

That's Gloomhaven. Although to be fair you were giving a slight buff to an ability that needs it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, you guys crushed this one. I'm impressed!

FairGame posted:

Players' shield cards usually work the same way, fwiw, unless they are persistent cards that stay in your active area.

But yeah "Wow, I've been doing this wrong for 20 sessions" is basically gloomhaven.txt

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
:munch: Shouldn't the Perverse Edge have been at Disadvantage?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

:munch: Shouldn't the Perverse Edge have been at Disadvantage?

:v:

It should have, but only a -2 or a NULL would have left the Sun Demon alive.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Orders submitted. I'm using my consumables to try and get some more damage churned out, because...why not.

Moving faster than he'll be able to vanish on us. If he's inexplicably nuked down to killable-with-artifacts levels, it'll get used.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

dwarf74 posted:

Players' shield cards usually work the same way, fwiw, unless they are persistent cards that stay in your active area.

And this is why shield (and retaliate) suck. They should totes have been tokens in play until next init like every other status effect.
Of course that would have made some monsters gianter pains in the dick.

ETA : also, and this needs to be said : GETCHER filthy paws offa MY chest, you dirty immigrant mongrels. Gloomhaven belongs to the Vermlings ! And by that I mean Vermings who aren't also furries !

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 5, 2019

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I have been screwing that up forever, both on the player and on the monster side.

Also, where's the rule that says monsters can't summon on coins or other stuff? I've been screwing that one up too.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Arcturas posted:

I have been screwing that up forever, both on the player and on the monster side.

Also, where's the rule that says monsters can't summon on coins or other stuff? I've been screwing that one up too.

Generally speaking, the summoning effects say to summon on an EMPTY hex. That is defined in the rules (sorry, no page number at the moment) as being a hex with no figure or overlay tile, excepting doors.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Arcturas posted:

Summon can only be summoned on empty (non unoccupied) hexes. The Rules do not outright state the difference between the two, but the FAQ has more on it.

Q: Can you explain the difference between an unoccupied hex and an empty hex?
A: An unoccupied hex has no figures (monsters, characters or character summons) present. An empty hex has no figures, tokens (money or otherwise), or overlay tiles present except corridors, open doors, pressure plates and scenario aid tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kobal2 posted:

And this is why shield (and retaliate) suck. They should totes have been tokens in play until next init like every other status effect.
Of course that would have made some monsters gianter pains in the dick.
Usually - and nicely - single-round shield cards almost always have a low initiative count. For some characters, like the Cragheart, it's the only good initiative they get.

Retaliate ... there's cases where it's amazing, but it is almost always disappointing on a single-round card. I think overall Isaac overvalued it. It's a bit too circumstantial, there's not too many melee-only enemies, and fundamentally you're gonna get hit before it works and you don't (usually) want to get hit.

There's an advanced class or two where neither of these are really that bad, though, and buffs to shield or retaliate might push them into the 'broken' column.