Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xthetenth posted:

That stuff may as well be Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz for practical purposes.

Pronounced "Gregor Breshkywicks" I assume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

and Tzschitzschnig is the perfectly manageable Chich-nig, it's just the Latin alphabet isn't set up to make these noises

von Brietzschke

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

and Tzschitzschnig is the perfectly manageable Chich-nig, it's just the Latin alphabet isn't set up to make these noises

von Brietzschke

They also sound the way Tamil looks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOoSsfU6cM

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The character's real name turns out to be Franek Dolas. I just found out that the actor playing him died two weeks ago.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how is Dan Carlin's 6 part Hardcore History podcast series on WWI? I haven't listened to his stuff in a few years now so I don't know if he's maybe gone off the libertarian deep end or something.

It's ok but he really likes grand narratives that focus on how important individuals were. It's fine for overview stuff but I kind of wanted to punch him while he was talking about the assassination and run up to war. He also leans a lot on old scholarship from what I recall.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

StashAugustine posted:

Being a wargamer means accepting that your hobby is about simulating the lives of lots of really horrible people.

e: I say this with the Counterinsurgency avatar

Sorry if this is too off-topic, but are the CounterInsurgency games any good? I could never afford one :sigh:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Courage and Air Warfare -- The Allied Aircrew Experience in the Second World War

To the guy who was asking about aircrews, I spotted this title while looking for other stuff. Anyone ever read it or heard of it? The blurb for the book

quote:

Despite the quantity of material written about the Combined Bomber Offensive during the Second World War, the full human dimension of air combat has not been thoroughly explored. This book investigates the unique nature of aerial warfare and the men who took part. It analyses aircrew selection, reaction to combat, adaptability to stress, morale, leadership and combat effectiveness. First-hand reflections of combat flyers, published materials, reports and official documents are used to compare the efforts of the US Eighth Air Force and RAF Bomber Command.

There is an important reason for this comparative method. Although the Allied effort involved two separate air forces, two different philosophical concepts and two distinct approaches, both organizations were committed to a common goal. Comparing the two allows insights into the nature of air combat and its effects on aviators. Aircrew attitudes and motivation are examined, as are the physical and mental hardships which affected aircrew morale, cohesion and combat effectiveness.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

xthetenth posted:

Hieronymous.

My mum wanted to call me Obadiah.

Also consider Praisegod or Jesus-came-into-the-world-to-save.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

Ah, I thought tankers were just "Armored" units or something. Not cavalry. I think I'm confusing them with the MOS of Cavalry Scout, which seems kind of obvious. Scouting around in Humm-vees and looking at things through fancy glasses.

There are armies that arent America's. British armoured regiments are mostly former actual horsey cavalry for instance (once it became clear those dreadful plebeian machines were here to stay).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HEY GAL posted:

name the kid tilly if catholic, maurice if protestant

edit: these are real children i have met in germany and the netherlands

Have you met any Swedish dudes named Christian?
:getin:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tias posted:

Sorry if this is too off-topic, but are the CounterInsurgency games any good? I could never afford one :sigh:

They're great, come chat about them in the Wargames thread.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

feedmegin posted:

There are armies that arent America's. British armoured regiments are mostly former actual horsey cavalry for instance (once it became clear those dreadful plebeian machines were here to stay).

Do they still delegate a portion of their forces to hold the horses?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Gonna dump a few pics I found amusing. Swedish Centurion fitted with experimental steel chain standoff screens. August 1976.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

Gonna dump a few pics I found amusing. Swedish Centurion fitted with experimental steel chain standoff screens. August 1976.

Haha, did they work at all?

Tias
May 25, 2008

If this is off-topic or there's a better thread, let me know, but: What about them submarines? I realize I know almost nothing about post-WW2 subs.

In particular (because of a nerd cyberpunk storygame I'm GM'ing) I'd like to know what sort of hydro-onics(?) are available for surveying underwater, both at the present day and what might be available in the next seventy years. I know about water-proof videography for recreational use, but doesn't the military or scientific fields deploy long-range/depth cameras based on sound or laser?

Tias fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 2, 2016

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Hogge Wild posted:

Haha, did they work at all?

Well, kinda. They were intended to provide protection against HEAT, since the BMP-1's gun provided a cheap and ubiquitous mechanized means to defeat older tanks like the Centurion (the accuracy of that gun was absolute garbage though, but that wasn't well known in the West at the time). If you were lucky the round would tumble and not go off at all, but in most cases all you got was a modest (~25% on average) reduction in penetration depth. Problem was, even small HEAT rounds had more than enough pen left over after that reduction to easily penetrate the front of a Centurion. Instead the solution turned out to be ERA, but that was in the 1980's.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

feedmegin posted:

My dad considered Wolfgang for a second kid he never had. Instead I got a name that's been running in the family since the mid 1700s. Considering that part of the family's from Prussia, I shared the fate of a bunch of towns in the eastern US. I can think of worse names to get. Like Wolfgang.

One of his uncles got named Abel Telemachus. Uncle AT was the town drunk, and I think we all know why.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tias posted:

If this is off-topic or there's a better thread, let me know, but: What about them submarines? I realize I know almost nothing about post-WW2 subs.

In particular (because of a nerd cyberpunk storygame I'm GM'ing) I'd like to know what sort of hydro-onics(?) are available for surveying underwater, both at the present day and what might be available in the next seventy years. I know about water-proof videography for recreational use, but doesn't the military or scientific fields deploy long-range/depth cameras based on sound or laser?

Sonar buoys are commonly used for tracking submarines.

Not directly related, but my Dad volunteered at a hospice where a WWII vet told him about flying anti-submarine air patrol out of Florida. They'd deploy those buoys and listen for the presence of U-boats, then fly out with depth charges if they found one. It was all very secret - he wasn't even supposed to be telling about it on his deathbed. He was told the general population would lose their poo poo if they knew how many German U-boats were at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I know about Sonar, but suppose you'd like a video feed of something happening below your craft, underwater. What would you use?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

Sonar buoys are commonly used for tracking submarines.

Not directly related, but my Dad volunteered at a hospice where a WWII vet told him about flying anti-submarine air patrol out of Florida. They'd deploy those buoys and listen for the presence of U-boats, then fly out with depth charges if they found one. It was all very secret - he wasn't even supposed to be telling about it on his deathbed. He was told the general population would lose their poo poo if they knew how many German U-boats were at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

This site is cool: http://uboat.net/maps/

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

feedmegin posted:

Probably a good idea she didn't. It might have been a bar to advancement, following the restoration of Charles II.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tias posted:

Cuba Libre (Castro's insurgency in 1950's) and Falling Sky (Caesar in Gaul) are both coming out in the next month or so, so you can grab them for preorder now or get them for list price when they come out. They are both smaller games that are good for players new to the system.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Tias posted:

I know about Sonar, but suppose you'd like a video feed of something happening below your craft, underwater. What would you use?

Light is attenuated by water before it gets very far, even in clear waters. You won't see more than 100 feet. If you use bright lights with your video equipment, you'll just illuminate the little bits in the water back at your camera like car headlamps in fog. Your best bet for getting video-like images would be high-frequency sonar.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

Tias posted:

I work in offshore survey right now so I can perhaps give some idea from the civilian side.

If you want to take video underwater you pretty much put the type of camera you want to use in a pressure housing and away you go. The problem is that light disperses much more quickly in water than in air and normally there is a lot of turbidity in seawater so you can't see far. Also, if you go to any sort of depth beyond 50 m or so you need to take lights, otherwise it is pretty much completely dark. Video is normally used to grab pictures of specific things (a fish, damage on a pipeline, etc.) or so that remotely operated vehicle (ROV) pilots can see what they are doing while working. You would not normally put one on the bottom of a boat unless you are working in really shallow water since you won't be able to see very far. It would be pretty much useless for trying to detect a submarine.

Most sub-sea search work, hydrographic survey, and sub-sea positioning is still done acoustically and probably always will be. Sound travels a very long way through water and it is much easier to process acoustic data rather than images. On the civilian side there have been a lot of advances in the last 25 years or so in multibeam echosounders and side-scan sonar. There has also been a lot of work recently with mounting these on autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs). AUVs are actually a big deal in offshore survey right now and I would be very surprised if the military is not actively working on them as well.

There are some applications for airborne lidar in shallow-water and surf-zone mapping. Scanning lasers are sometimes used sub-sea to make 3D models of structures and the like. Both applications are rather niche. If you have any specific questions I can try to answer but my knowledge is of civilian rather than military applications.

Tias
May 25, 2008

A_Bluenoser posted:

I work in offshore survey right now so I can perhaps give some idea from the civilian side.

If you want to take video underwater you pretty much put the type of camera you want to use in a pressure housing and away you go. The problem is that light disperses much more quickly in water than in air and normally there is a lot of turbidity in seawater so you can't see far. Also, if you go to any sort of depth beyond 50 m or so you need to take lights, otherwise it is pretty much completely dark. Video is normally used to grab pictures of specific things (a fish, damage on a pipeline, etc.) or so that remotely operated vehicle (ROV) pilots can see what they are doing while working. You would not normally put one on the bottom of a boat unless you are working in really shallow water since you won't be able to see very far. It would be pretty much useless for trying to detect a submarine.

Most sub-sea search work, hydrographic survey, and sub-sea positioning is still done acoustically and probably always will be. Sound travels a very long way through water and it is much easier to process acoustic data rather than images. On the civilian side there have been a lot of advances in the last 25 years or so in multibeam echosounders and side-scan sonar. There has also been a lot of work recently with mounting these on autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs). AUVs are actually a big deal in offshore survey right now and I would be very surprised if the military is not actively working on them as well.

There are some applications for airborne lidar in shallow-water and surf-zone mapping. Scanning lasers are sometimes used sub-sea to make 3D models of structures and the like. Both applications are rather niche. If you have any specific questions I can try to answer but my knowledge is of civilian rather than military applications.

The players will have to see a Bad Thing(tm) coming up under the fishing vessel they're on, and this being 2070 sci fi setting, I'm assuming a boat like that would be able to map some of the water below it. I think I've got enough to go on, thanks a lot!

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

Tias posted:

The players will have to see a Bad Thing(tm) coming up under the fishing vessel they're on, and this being 2070 sci fi setting, I'm assuming a boat like that would be able to map some of the water below it. I think I've got enough to go on, thanks a lot!

Pretty much any large recreational fishing vessel these days will have a single-beam echo sounder to determine the depth below keel. Something big coming up from below could manifest as the water becoming shallower very fast. Many commercial and recreational fishing vessels also have what is called a "fish finder". This is a sort of scanning sonar that generates a return from a fish's air bladder and gives a rough range and bearing to the fish (or school of fish). That would probably give exactly the effect you want.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cheerfullydrab posted:

Have you met any Swedish dudes named Christian?
:getin:
i've never met any actual swedes, despite the people i reenact with

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
consider maximiliana for a girl, the patriotic choice

also i have seen guys with the last names Narciss or von Venus and I am almost certain they're aliases, like the guy with the last name Soeldner. I do not know if Friedrich Fürcht-dich-nicht's last name was his real one or not.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 2, 2016

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Pick Praiseworthy something for a name.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I recently learned I have an Appolonia in my family tree. It's a good name for a girl.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rockopolis posted:

Pick Praiseworthy something for a name.

Lots of good ones here.

I'm partial to Eusebius or Quartus for a boy, Keziah or Vecula for a girl.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deteriorata posted:

Lots of good ones here.

I'm partial to Eusebius or Quartus for a boy, Keziah or Vecula for a girl.
i have seen tons of dudes with Eusebius as the middle name, that is a good one.

I've found sixteen guys so far with the last name Kretzschmeyer in various Saxon units between 1619 and 1646.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Squalid posted:

Yeah, and they were only going three miles from their base. Whoops.

From a bit back, but I honestly always thought of this when doing PCCs. It's good motivation to do them properly!

Tias
May 25, 2008

For medieval names I always liked Lilli or Millicent. I think that last one came up itt recently?

A_Bluenoser posted:

Pretty much any large recreational fishing vessel these days will have a single-beam echo sounder to determine the depth below keel. Something big coming up from below could manifest as the water becoming shallower very fast. Many commercial and recreational fishing vessels also have what is called a "fish finder". This is a sort of scanning sonar that generates a return from a fish's air bladder and gives a rough range and bearing to the fish (or school of fish). That would probably give exactly the effect you want.

You, sir, are a wu-tang shogun <3 Thanks a lot!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
"My wife just gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl!"
"So how will you name them?"
"Wroth and Pain, naturally"
"Naturally"

I so hope at least one of those people accidentally named their kid Incontinence.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I almost forgot Dodo von Innhausen und Knyphausen! A talented general for the Swedes, some Osprey dude says he did very well at Luetzen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo_zu_Innhausen_und_Knyphausen
I don't think it's short for anything, I think he's just East Friesian. His brother was named Enno.

Edit: another relative was named Edzard von Innhausen und Knyphausen :lol:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's ok but he really likes grand narratives that focus on how important individuals were. It's fine for overview stuff but I kind of wanted to punch him while he was talking about the assassination and run up to war. He also leans a lot on old scholarship from what I recall.

He does this a lot and also the ted talk thing of dressing up bong rip thoughts, like: woah can you imagine how insane thw conquistadors must have been to travel to America?? Woooahhhhhhhh.

Also he called the Tatar invasion of Europe a blitzkrieg, a crime for which I will one day run him over with a tank.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Talking elsewhere about cool and casual ways to approach history and this dude was brought up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbhANeJL_T4

Dude is really full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Talking elsewhere about cool and casual ways to approach history and this dude was brought up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbhANeJL_T4

Dude is really full of poo poo.

i am not even going to click on that
gently caress you for posting it

• Locked thread