Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

axleblaze posted:

And I hate bitchy white noise posts so I guess none of us are happy.

hmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. The killing his family thing isn't really played for sympathy so much as "Just in case you wanted to know why he wants to Murder All Things", it's just there as a character motivation for Kratos' sole character trait, which is Not Liking The Gods. I never agreed with Kratos or thought like "Yeah, what this guy is doing right now is the correct action and he's doing a good thing", which was why I could roast a guy alive as he pleaded for his life because it would help me open a door, and I liked that. Then, like was mentioned, they start pulling the "The power of Hope was in Kratos all along, and what he's doing is a good thing" bullshit. Kratos kills the Gods because the Gods are dicks and screwed him over. That's it, end of story, that's all you need.

The whole point of the first game was Kratos doing the Gods bidding in order for them to absolve him of his sins after he accidentally killed his family. The end part of the game is you literally trying to protect your family from yourself. We are meant to feel some sympathy for Kratos. Someone doesn't have to be doing the right thing for people to feel sympathetic for them.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Ares starts loving poo poo up, and Athena asks for your help because Zeus is perfectly fine with Ares loving poo poo out without anyone getting in his way. So yes, Zeus has been a dick since the first game.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

blackguy32 posted:

The whole point of the first game was Kratos doing the Gods bidding in order for them to absolve him of his sins after he accidentally killed his family. The end part of the game is you literally trying to protect your family from yourself. We are meant to feel some sympathy for Kratos. Someone doesn't have to be doing the right thing for people to feel sympathetic for them.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Ares starts loving poo poo up, and Athena asks for your help because Zeus is perfectly fine with Ares loving poo poo out without anyone getting in his way. So yes, Zeus has been a dick since the first game.

Except that it's later revealed that Zeus helped Kratos escape from Hades back in the first game (gravedigger), so maybe he wasn't that much of a dick after all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

No, all the gods wanted Kratos' help. That is why they all give you powerups. It is just that they were not in a position where they could kill Ares themselves and had to use Kratos to do it. Zeus forbade the gods from waging war on one another but he totally wasn't okay with Ares. He gives you a speech about how he wants Kratos to succeed in his quest when he gives him the thunderbolt powerup (and he's the gravekeeper who digs Kratos out of Hades later on.)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Since Ascension showed they're completely out of ideas for the series, the last thing to do would be the same as Ratchet & Clank, just remake the first game on the PS4. Although in this case they should keep the same story while updating the combat and graphics (and include more than three boss fights).

Although we haven't seen any gameplay from the Ratchet & Clank remake yet, I'm guessing that aside from the worlds you visit, it will be completely unrecognisable from the original game. Ratchet and Captain Qwark have very different personalities now, and going by the trailer for the tie-in film, they won't be reverting back to being complete twats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y_cY_miDxo

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

Since Ascension showed they're completely out of ideas for the series, the last thing to do would be the same as Ratchet & Clank, just remake the first game on the PS4. Although in this case they should keep the same story while updating the combat and graphics (and include more than three boss fights).

Although we haven't seen any gameplay from the Ratchet & Clank remake yet, I'm guessing that aside from the worlds you visit, it will be completely unrecognisable from the original game. Ratchet and Captain Qwark have very different personalities now, and going by the trailer for the tie-in film, they won't be reverting back to being complete twats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y_cY_miDxo

I'm honestly not sure if it's a remake of the first game, or if they're doing an entirely new origins story sort of thing for the film, and the game will be based around that. I've read things that hint at both, so I don't really know what to think anymore.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

R&C has been out of ideas for a while. It really feels like CiT was the only PS3 game they actually intended to make, and the rest were pressed out of leftovers and shavings.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Anyone still playing Way of the Samurai 4? I'm trying to find the thread, but I don't know how to search Archives.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Anyone still playing Way of the Samurai 4? I'm trying to find the thread, but I don't know how to search Archives.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502551

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RadicalR posted:

I imagine it'll get a solid bump when it releases on PC soon.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Crappy Jack posted:

I imagine it'll get a solid bump when it releases on PC soon.

Soon? How soon is soon?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Is there some trick I'm missing to stop Play-Asia from showing their daily special of the PS3 version of NHL14 for $20 to stop showing as sold out. The front page shows 1400+ copies that are slowly trickling away but the item page itself shows it as sold out.

http://www.play-asia.com/

http://www.play-asia.com/nhl-14-paOS-13-49-en-70-6hc1.html

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Man, I can't believe I waited so long to play Way of the Samurai 4. I just finished the Yakuza missions and what a rush!

I haven't had this much fun in a while. Now if only I can beat the people that keeps killing me in one shot/combo...

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sony TGS 2014 stream Actually it looks like a general TGS talk show stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r5HFgajF98

Just talking heads right now, though

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 20, 2014

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I didn't realize how much of a jump in quality there was between Uncharted and Uncharted 2 until playing them back to back. ND really knocked U2 out of the park, figuring out a great balance between the exploration/puzzle/jumpy bits and the gunfights. Felt a lot more natural than the arena-style fights of U3 as well. Still looks fantastic, too.

Actually, I couldn't stop thinking about how unreal Uncharted 4 is going to look on the PS4 once it's finally done. ND knows how to make a great looking game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

How is the Valkyria Chronicles dlc?

Also are there any must have rpgs besides Dragon's Dogma, Ni No Kuni, the afore mentioned and apparently the persona games?

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Behind the Blue Flame - Selvaria Bles DLC was pretty good, as a standalone campaign, and the Edy Detachment was more of a puzzle like mission, with nothing but text and still frames for the story.

Never bothered with EX hard

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Davincie posted:

Also are there any must have rpgs besides Dragon's Dogma, Ni No Kuni, the afore mentioned and apparently the persona games?

If you haven't played the Dark Souls games on another platform, they're widely acclaimed for good reason. Also, there's Demon's Souls, which is fantastic in its own right and a PS3 exclusive.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I have played Dark Souls, but not the Demon's game. Might do that.

Thanks for the advice regarding the dlc, i'll probably only go for the selvaria dlc considering i used edy like once

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
There's actually two Edy dlcs, one's the series of challenges for each class and comes with a a bunch of guns of varying usefulness, and the other is a single boring mission that has no reward other than different endings.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Davincie posted:

Get Nier right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

Give Tales of Xillia a look.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Krad posted:

Get Nier right now.

This man is right in so many ways.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Krad posted:

Get Nier right now.

Does Nier resemble an RPG in any significant way, though?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Does Nier resemble an RPG in any significant way, though?

Well it has a bunch of sidequests that aren't at all necessary.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Nier is pretty clearly an action RPG.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The Yakuza games are the greatest action JRPGs ever made. Buy them all twice.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Apparently the modding thread is dead, so I hope someone can help me with this. I just bought a used PS3 and started downloading all my plus games from the years I only had a vita. Suddenly I notice there's this program named multiman on the console and upon further inspection apparently my console is modded. So I'm already in danger of getting banned and losing my vita games along with my account.

Anyone knows how can I completely remove all modding stuff? Would a simple hd format do it? I noticed the firmware is also not the stock one.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

nerdz posted:

Apparently the modding thread is dead, so I hope someone can help me with this. I just bought a used PS3 and started downloading all my plus games from the years I only had a vita. Suddenly I notice there's this program named multiman on the console and upon further inspection apparently my console is modded. So I'm already in danger of getting banned and losing my vita games along with my account.

Anyone knows how can I completely remove all modding stuff? Would a simple hd format do it? I noticed the firmware is also not the stock one.

Update to the newest official firmware first (use a usb drive with the update on it if you are absolutely paranoid of getting banned for going online). From there you can reformat, reformatting without having a copy of the CFW ready could cause issues for slim model ps3s.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Ryoga posted:

Update to the newest official firmware first (use a usb drive with the update on it if you are absolutely paranoid of getting banned for going online). From there you can reformat, reformatting without having a copy of the CFW ready could cause issues for slim model ps3s.

Thanks! I'll try that.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Krad posted:

Get Nier right now.

Nier's not really an RPG and it's insanely expensive now.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

...! posted:

Nier's not really an RPG and it's insanely expensive now.

it's like $15 at gamestop

edit: my bad xbox version is $15, ps3 is $20

Ryoga fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 26, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Ryoga posted:

it's like $15 at gamestop

edit: my bad xbox version is $15, ps3 is $20

Thanks for clearing that one up

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How does The directors cut of of human revolution run on PS3 ? Already played through the original, but haven't played any of the DLC. I heard that it has some glitches and problems that that will not be patched.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have a question about Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale; I got it free from PS+ some time ago and have been playing it on the Vita for a bit and I'm curious if it supports cross-play, meaning that if it's possible to play versus "locally" on the same PSN account with one player using the Vita and one player using a PS3. I only have one PS3 controller but I do have a Vita and I'm not at all sure if it's possible to play local versus matches with one player using the Vita and one player using a PS3.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You would have to play over the internet, and so the PS3 has to use a different account to play.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ah, rats. Figured it would be possible since it's a first-party game and all. Oh well, cheers.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Where's the cheapest place to pick up a PS3 these days? Cowboom has some models for $100 but they don't come with anything, Gamestop seems to hover around and above $200, but my local place says they sell 120gb models for $130ish.

edit - vvv, :v:

The Machine fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 30, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Machine posted:

Where's the cheapest place to pick up a PS3 these days? Cowboom has some models for $100 but they don't come with anything, Gamestop seems to hover around and above $200, but my local place says they sell 120gb models for $130ish.

Going by available information I believe your local place would be the cheapest place to pick up a PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Stare-Out posted:

Ah, rats. Figured it would be possible since it's a first-party game and all. Oh well, cheers.
You can still access your other account's content with a different PSN account on the same PS3. I'd give it a try.

• Locked thread