Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also fun new requirement for this year: i have to go to this third party company and create an account and put in a bunch of personal information so they can run a background check... on my cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

quiggy posted:

ME: computer, please show me the websites that correspond to my search terms
COMPUTER: that's too hard. here's a map to a yoga studio. do you like this.

also here are 9000 results for yoga pants you should buy

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

also fun new requirement for this year: i have to go to this third party company and create an account and put in a bunch of personal information so they can run a background check... on my cat

you can never be too careful around cats

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Shame Boy posted:

yeah i can tell lol

also along those same lines, the no smoking addendum's list of "including but not limited to" things that count as smoking has expanded with a bunch of fun new words the lawyer learned like "dab pen"

Our lease had some wording that basically prohibited a bunch of dangerous stuff (explosives, corrosive chemicals, etc) and included on that list… firearms. I have some of those (I have some of the other stuff too depending on how you define “corrosive chemicals”) and almost backed out of the deal but the property owners emailed that legal firearms were fine (but they didn’t want to modify the lease) so we shrugged and signed

It was then I learned that this is actually entirely legal and I’m surprised more cities concerned with gun violence don’t offer some sort of incentive to landlords to prohibit them

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FMguru posted:

just like all engineering regulations are written in blood, all specific lease restrictions are written in previous catastrophes

my first post-dorm apartment lease had multiple paragraphs about how waterbeds were absolutely positively not allowed

The lease I signed at my current apartment has multiple paragraphs about how it is absolutely forbidden to add one of those self-installed bidets to your toilet. I hate to think what disaster happened to necessitate that one.

Shame Boy posted:

One very cool thing my apartment does is a require a DNA sample for every dog. That way if the cleaning crew ends up finding some poo poo on the property, they get it tested and the culprit's owner is fined (and also has to pay the cost of the test).

Consequently, there is less dog poo poo on the grounds of this apartment complex than any other place I've lived.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
sounds like the perfect opportunity for some disruption via Fake Dog DNA (FDDaaS)

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

FMguru posted:

i thought the traditional thing about ai is that the stuff it is supposed to do stops being "ai" once people are actually able to do it

speech recognition and machine vision and language translation and playing grandmaster-level chess were all considered "ai" decades ago, but now that those are solved problems theyre just "speech recognition" and "machine vision" and so on

ai is always the domain of things we cant do (yet)

that was the gist of the first lesson in my AI class back in TYOOL 2002. basically "all the poo poo you're learning now will stop being AI once its actually used. so be prepared."

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

The lease I signed at my current apartment has multiple paragraphs about how it is absolutely forbidden to add one of those self-installed bidets to your toilet. I hate to think what disaster happened to necessitate that one.

property owner is a toilet paper magnate

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

LanceHunter posted:

mine sprung a leak and i had 1" of water on my bathroom floor before i noticed. So, uh, that.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

yeah, a small but unmitigated leak that doesn't go down a drain is a huge PITA in an MDU, and it happens often enough that there are firms that specialize in on-call response to water loss incidents in highrises

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

shackleford posted:

yeah, a small but unmitigated leak that doesn't go down a drain is a huge PITA in an MDU, and it happens often enough that there are firms that specialize in on-call response to water loss incidents in highrises

yeah. a friend of mine owned a condo and the place above was owned by an older lady who let her daughter stay there. problem is, they are heroin addicts and flooded her place 3 times in 2 years. the last one took 6 months to get the kitchen redone all while dealing with insurance. she was afraid to go on vacations, the board wouldn’t force a sale of the offending condo and eventually she decided to move.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
all the toilets in this building are some godawful 90s "we've mandated toilets use less water but haven't figured out how to do so effectively yet" relics that constantly clog or fail to flush completely i hate it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

yeah i can tell lol

also along those same lines, the no smoking addendum's list of "including but not limited to" things that count as smoking has expanded with a bunch of fun new words the lawyer learned like "dab pen"

if you have a rx for a dab pen they can't stop you from using it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

...yeah i would start looking for alternatives lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

LanceHunter posted:

One very cool thing my apartment does is a require a DNA sample for every dog. That way if the cleaning crew ends up finding some poo poo on the property, they get it tested and the culprit's owner is fined (and also has to pay the cost of the test).

Consequently, there is less dog poo poo on the grounds of this apartment complex than any other place I've lived.

what in the gently caress? if my landlord was asking for DNA samples from any occupant of my apartment, human or otherwise, i'd tell them to go pound sand

like, you can't even trust landlords with your banking info, and you're voluntarily giving them DNA samples? and this is "one very cool thing"??

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
protip: you don't need to agree to any of those sometimes ridiculous blanket contract riders, or any lease provision, for that matter. cross out any section you don't like, initial it, and if they countersign it without disputing that you crossed something out, legally you're all good (in the US)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

protip: you don't need to agree to any of those sometimes ridiculous blanket contract riders, or any lease provision, for that matter. cross out any section you don't like, initial it, and if they countersign it without disputing that you crossed something out, legally you're all good (in the US)
are you sure about that?

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

all the toilets in this building are some godawful 90s "we've mandated toilets use less water but haven't figured out how to do so effectively yet" relics that constantly clog or fail to flush completely i hate it

if i recall correctly there wasn't enough time in between george hw bush signing the law and the law going into effect for the traditional toilet manufacturers to totally re-design their toilets because they weren't even using computers at the time, so they ended up with horrible hacks on their previous wasteful toilet designs to restrict the amount of water dispensed by the tank

except toto, toto was prepared for the 1.6 gallon limit

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LanceHunter posted:

Can it distinguish between dog and human DNA?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

just like all engineering regulations are written in blood, all specific lease restrictions are written in previous catastrophes

my first post-dorm apartment lease had multiple paragraphs about how waterbeds were absolutely positively not allowed

regulations are written in blood

lease clauses are written in fire (or sometimes water)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

are you sure about that?

yep. that's basic contract law. contracts are negotiable if neither party has signed it, and i've done that on literally every lease i've had

e.g. one place wanted to charge $50/month for us to have eggy. i crossed out that provision, initialed it, then sent the contract over to their rental agent. he didn't notice (or didn't care) that i crossed that out, didn't pay the $50 extra, and when their lawyers complained after a couple of months i told them to present me a copy of our contract

lo and behold, the provision was crossed out and agreed to by their agent, and they had the management company lower what i was supposed to pay in clickpay each month by $50

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have heard people say that the modifications aren't enforceable if you try to do that stealthily without them and they don't notice that you did that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

I have heard people say that the modifications aren't enforceable if you try to do that stealthily without them and they don't notice that you did that.

that's why you have to initial it (just put your initials in a circle next to whatever you crossed out). legally that indicates a negotiation, and if they don't dispute that but still sign it, legally they have agreed to the modified contract

there's nothing "stealthy" about it. just like it'd be your fault for not following some provision you didn't read, it's their fault for not reading it before signing. you can and should turn the tables on them if they have some onerous bullshit in there

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

mystes posted:

I'd understand if you, like, retyped the document or something, but handwritten markups are not in any way stealthy and if you countersign something without noticing an initialed strikethrough it's hard to make an argument that someone just slipped it in without you noticing

efb

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

if you have a rx for a dab pen they can't stop you from using it

there are no less than two riders specifically about medical weed, the first one saying "since HUD is federal and we would very much like to get HUD money, no you can't have any of that anywhere near the property at all ever" and one right after it saying in very noncommittal terms "ok look we don't want to be on the nightly news when a disabled veteran complains to channel 9 or whatever so we can maybe sorta make nonspecific accommodations kinda sorta if you have a legal prescription for the stuff but if HUD asks we're throwing you under the bus"

so who knows what their actual policy is, whee

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

that's why you have to initial it (just put your initials in a circle next to whatever you crossed out). legally that indicates a negotiation, and if they don't dispute that but still sign it, legally they have agreed to the modified contract

there's nothing "stealthy" about it. just like it'd be your fault for not following some provision you didn't read, it's their fault for not reading it before signing. you can and should turn the tables on them if they have some onerous bullshit in there

you're gonna get some property manager's pinky cut off one of these days lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ADINSX posted:

Our lease had some wording that basically prohibited a bunch of dangerous stuff (explosives, corrosive chemicals, etc) and included on that list… firearms. I have some of those (I have some of the other stuff too depending on how you define “corrosive chemicals”) and almost backed out of the deal but the property owners emailed that legal firearms were fine (but they didn’t want to modify the lease) so we shrugged and signed

from what i've seen this means that if they decide they want to evict you, they will, based on that clause. so, uh, hopefully rents don't meaningfully increase in that neighbourhood or anything.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mystes posted:

they could argue that the contract is void since there wasn't a meeting of minds. whether or not a court would agree with that would likely come down to the nature and significance of the modifications - the court needs to judge whether they were aware of the modifications and decided they were okay with them and are only now having a change of heart. you're unlikely to be able to collect on a "also you need to pay me a million dollars a year in exchange for me keeping the hedge trimmed" clause.

they would likely not be able to successfully argue that you should be held to the unmodified contract - you very clearly never signed it and there's no question about whether you intended to sign the unmodified contract (you didn't, that's why you suggested modifications).

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

quiggy posted:

ME: computer, please show me the websites that correspond to my search terms
COMPUTER: that's too hard. here's a map to a yoga studio. do you like this.

lol I searched for a specific restaurant in Google Maps just to see how early I should go get the bus, and it did in fact show me a yoga studio.

They hosed this one up on purpose, it was just an ad on the map markedly bigger than the pin for the actual restaurant

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Beeftweeter posted:

e.g. one place wanted to charge $50/month for us to have eggy.

have what?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BMan posted:

have what?

translator's note: eggy means baby in korean

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

BMan posted:

have what?

beeftweeter's wife is a bird

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Enderzero posted:

yeah. a friend of mine owned a condo and the place above was owned by an older lady who let her daughter stay there. problem is, they are heroin addicts and flooded her place 3 times in 2 years. the last one took 6 months to get the kitchen redone all while dealing with insurance. she was afraid to go on vacations, the board wouldn’t force a sale of the offending condo and eventually she decided to move.

you could have left one detail out of this and the post would be vastly better.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Not a Children posted:

I'd understand if you, like, retyped the document or something, but handwritten markups are not in any way stealthy and if you countersign something without noticing an initialed strikethrough it's hard to make an argument that someone just slipped it in without you noticing

efb

right. you can't literally just type up a new contract, but you can strike provisions and suggest modifications to others (e.g. change a dollar amount, or something). if it's countersigned without them disputing any modifications, then you're legally in the clear

Jabor posted:

they could argue that the contract is void since there wasn't a meeting of minds. whether or not a court would agree with that would likely come down to the nature and significance of the modifications - the court needs to judge whether they were aware of the modifications and decided they were okay with them and are only now having a change of heart. you're unlikely to be able to collect on a "also you need to pay me a million dollars a year in exchange for me keeping the hedge trimmed" clause.

they would likely not be able to successfully argue that you should be held to the unmodified contract - you very clearly never signed it and there's no question about whether you intended to sign the unmodified contract (you didn't, that's why you suggested modifications).

the meeting of the minds is the countersignature. if it was already signed by the management company before you, then yes — you would not be able to modify that, since those are the provisions they agreed to and are simply expecting your counter-signature to agree to the terms

but i've never, ever had a rental agreement that was already signed by the other party, and for a pretty good reason: as i said, contracts are inherently negotiable, so long as nobody has signed it. they legally need to give you a chance to object or suggest modifications, so they can't sign it in advance — or else you can argue there was no meeting of the minds, and since presumably the landlord is in a position of power over you, you'd likely be able to get it voided under unequal bargaining provisions

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BMan posted:

have what?

smdh not knowing of forums superstar eggy

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

you can't literally just type up a new contract

apparently you can lol

https://www.oncontracts.com/surreptitious-contract-changes/ posted:

See also, for example, Hand v. Dayton-Hudson, 775 F.2d 757 (6th Cir. 1985); in that case, the appellate court affirmed the trial court’s judgment reforming (that is, editing after the fact) a release that an attorney had surreptitiously altered before it was signed. As still another example, I served as an expert witness in a case in which a corporate executive had surreptitiously changed the post-termination non-competition period in his employment agreement from two years to two months, then printed out the agreement, signed it, and returned it to the HR department, which of course had it countersigned it without re-reading it; the case settled before trial after the judge denied the former executive’s motion for summary judgment dismissing his former employer’s lawsuit.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

apparently you can lol

lmao welp, i hadn't heard of that but i guess that's what i get for dropping out

anyway i am certain that modifications as discussed above are 100% kosher, but something like that... idk. i suppose since there's precedent you could probably get away with it, but i'd definitely lawyer up before attempting it lol

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

ah here's a longer version. yeah you definitely aren't supposed to do that but you might get away with it anyway

http://www.commondraft.org/#RedliningRep posted:

In fact, this type of sneaky behavior can happen even in (what should have been) a relationship of trust and confidence. I once served as an expert witness in a case in which:

• A company's long-time vice-president had been electronically sent a new employment agreement by the company's HR person. The agreement contained a two-year post-employment noncompetition covenant, which was standard for the company.

• The vice president electronically edited the Word document to change his noncompetition period from two years to two months. But he didn't redline the change, nor did he email the revised Word document back to the HR person. Instead, the vice-president printed out the (altered) agreement; made additional pen-and-ink changes in another part of the agreement; and sent the document back to the HR person — without mentioning the change he'd made to the non-competition period.

• After the vice-president and the HR person came to agreement on his proposed pen-and-ink changes, the HR person made the agreed changes to her copy of the Word document — which had the original two-year noncompete provision — and emailed the revised Word document back to the vice-president.

• The vice-president then repeated what he'd done before, changing the two-year noncompete to a two-month noncompete, again without redlining it and without telling the HR person what he'd done.

• The parties signed the agreement as surreptitiously altered by the vice-president. Later, he left the company, took his wife on a two-month vacation trip, and then joined a competitor of his former employer.

• The company sued for breach of his noncompeetition covenant.

• The former vice-president moved for summary judgment that, in essence, the company should have (re)read its agreement before signing it.

In opposition to the summary-judgment motion, I provided the company with an affidavit stating that, in my opinion, what the vice-president had done would be considered unethical and improper. (The judge denied the motion; the case later settled.)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

ah here's a longer version. yeah you definitely aren't supposed to do that but you might get away with it anyway

yeah. that's certainly a pretty crafty gambit (hell, i'd even go with "stealthy" here), and while i can't say i think the entire argument is bullshit, the VP certainly should have made the modifications more obvious, or since we're talking about a re-typed document here, alerted HR to the modifications. again, you're supposed to at least initial pen-and-ink modifications to indicate a negotiation, so the VP was in the wrong imo

but at the same time, the legal reasoning is sound: the company should have read the contract before counter-signing. almost nobody does, which is why you can usually get away with modifications on something like a rental agreement. landlords using contract provisions to evict tenants that ostensibly didn't know about them because they didn't read the contract closely happens routinely enough that doing the same to them likely wouldn't be rejected by any court, and i suppose the same could apply to an employment contract, too

that still doesn't make literally sneaking some poo poo in there 100% okay though, lol. i imagine if that case hadn't been settled then it could have gone either way

but the bottom line to this whole discussion is basically: read every single word of any contract you are presented with. hell, read it twice. you're going to be legally bound to those terms, you better know them backwards and forwards. and don't be afraid to make modifications — that is your legal right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Have a lawyer look at it too.