Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Would you rather it be ironically bad like the Privateer Press trailers?

Is there another bad trailer I'm not aware of other than that god awful riot quest one?

God I had completely forgotten about that. It's so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Warlord bought wargames factory molds. Gotta make that money back.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Struggling company Privateer Press has the courage to make a video to guarantee that a new product line is definitely going to be a huge failure, and I think we have to respect them for that.

Fingers crossed that someone decent will take over there properties when it is all over.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Struggling company Privateer Press has the courage to make a video to guarantee that a new product line is definitely going to be a huge failure, and I think we have to respect them for that.

Fingers crossed that someone decent will take over there properties when it is all over.

Well, Riot Quest aside, MonPoc seems to be doing just fine :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

S.J. posted:

Well, Riot Quest aside, MonPoc seems to be doing just fine :v:

Did they change it from the original release? I always wanted to try it but never got around it buying anything since I was the only person I knew who did

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Len posted:

Did they change it from the original release? I always wanted to try it but never got around it buying anything since I was the only person I knew who did

Hmm? Oh yes! It's not a collectible game anymore, and the new minis are slightly larger to boot. No longer premade/preassembled. They've also upped the game so that a standard list consists of 2 monsters, so having that extra monster on the field can really change how things play. I'm really loving it.

They've also organized the factions into two agendas: Destroyers and Protectors, and you can mix and match monsters/units from anywhere inside your agenda. However, faction specific buffs don't cross over to the rest of your agenda, etc

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Is the Battlefoam guy still considered awful these days? I'm looking into magnetized case solutions and so far people are recommending MagnaRacks to me.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Oh man. I just looked that up, it was 8 years ago. IDK if the dude is still litigious. And I doubt anyone would care if you rolled up with one.

Can anyone recommend a general tabletop wargame podcast? I liked Game Classy, those guys got me into Dark Age and Arena Rex but the show is irregular and now all they talk about is GW.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

LewdMonocle posted:

Can anyone recommend a general tabletop wargame podcast? I liked Game Classy, those guys got me into Dark Age and Arena Rex but the show is irregular and now all they talk about is GW.

That's my real life. Age of Sigmar has snatched up most of my game playing buddies, 40k and kill team have got a few, too.

Skirmish Supremacy is popular and the d6 Generation has wargaming episodes, I think. It's not personal recommendation, just podcasts that have supported games I like.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Thanks, these will do.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Has anyone here tried out Wolsung?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

The local group was looking into using minis for the next major fantasy RPG campaign, but looking across all the small boutique manufacturers popping up nowadays most have only one or two models that interest us (and if you're going to play with a toy for a year or more you want it to be the right one), and it would be nice to not have track a dozen different fulfilment tickets.

So the question was, which online warehouse offers the broadest range of minor modern manufacturers of fantasy minis, for shipping to Europe?

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 4, 2019

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

The local group was looking into using minis for the next major fantasy RPG campaign, but looking across all the small boutique manufacturers popping up nowadays most have only one or two models that interest us (and if you're going to play with a toy for a year or more you want it to be the right one), and it would be nice to not have track a dozen different fulfilment tickets.

So the question was, which online warehouse offers the broadest range of minor modern manufacturers of fantasy minis, for shipping to Europe?

Northstar?

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
wayland games? I think there was some controversy with them some years ago, tho.

Anyone technical in the group? I hear you can get ok detail now with low-end 3dprinters around 200 freedom dollars.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Friends don't let friends order from Wayland.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Wayland are ok if you're certain all your items are in stock right as you order, and if you're lucky. If there's anything they swear they're getting in tomorrow, your order may take a few months.

They're better than Maelstrom were.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The problem is you can't be certain everything is in stock. I've ordered a couple of times and had orders split up by 3+ months because while it said "6+ in stock", it actually meant "just the one actually".

Also it's not really going to be a warehouse for all the boutique miniature companies that make small-run products. The closest thing to that I am aware of in the EU is http://miniature-heroes.co.uk/, and their list of products isn't quite as good as I remember it being in the past.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Wayland were fine when they first started up, but over time have become pretty bad. I believe they've grown far faster than they should have and don't have enough staff for the demand, so neglect things like keeping track of actual stock levels and the like.

My last order from them I ended up cancelling. It was two army books for WHFB (so a fair few years ago) that I wanted for the background, High Elves and Dark Elves (I believe it wasn't long after the latter got released but I may be mistaken).

Anyway, both were listed as having multiple in stock on their site, and the price was decent, so I ordered them.

Several weeks later, no dispatch notice. I happened to end up going to a wargames show and picked up both books cheaper, then cancelled the order when I got home. I'm pretty sure they were lying about having some in stock (both were still listed as in stock on the site) and had just put in the amount they planned on ordering at some point.

Pretty sure them opening their own game studio will be taking time away from them actually doing orders and stuff too.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Unless you can walk into one of their rick and mortar locations and pick up the thing you want to buy, do not buy from Wayland.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So, that's a pass on Wayland I suppose...

JcDent posted:

Northstar?

Not sure which Northstar you're referring to, the only one that comes up is a manufacturer (the one that makes 28mm Mass Effect minis).

Arquinsiel posted:

The problem is you can't be certain everything is in stock. I've ordered a couple of times and had orders split up by 3+ months because while it said "6+ in stock", it actually meant "just the one actually".

Also it's not really going to be a warehouse for all the boutique miniature companies that make small-run products. The closest thing to that I am aware of in the EU is http://miniature-heroes.co.uk/, and their list of products isn't quite as good as I remember it being in the past.

Yeah, I didn't find much, hence asking for goon wisdom. :cheeky: I'll check the site you gave!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Not sure which Northstar you're referring to, the only one that comes up is a manufacturer (the one that makes 28mm Mass Effect minis).

I suspect they meant http://www.northstarfigures.com/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There was a time when I would have recommended Hasslefree Minis, but over the last 12 months they seem to have fallen into a massive hole, mostly related to fulfillment of a Kickstarter that managed to get 18 months behind schedule, due to all manner of calamities up to and including a flood in their studio. I had an order shipped in August with missing parts, sought replacements immediately, and after initial contact in early October there's been no further reply by email or facebook.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 5, 2019

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yeah Hasslefree were a class act but suddenly everything fell apart for them. I have some sympathy but their "woe is us" Facebook posts have just piled up after a while and I started to tune them out.

Best-case they had a run of bad luck that derailed their Kickstarter. I hope they are able to haul themselves back over the edge, but for now I don't buy anything from them unless it's at shows and I can take it off the shelf ready-packed.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Agreed, Hasslefree are in a bit of a bad spot now. I made the mistake of placing an order during their Black Friday weekend sale and not heard anything about it (which is annoying as I was hoping to get some of it painted over Xmas for a Shadowrun campaign). Best of luck to them in recovering, but until things settle down again and they get on top of orders I wouldn't recommend ordering from them.

Odd thing is I keep seeing new sculpt previews occasionally so it looks like Kev's still active.

Currently they are officially 'closed for Xmas' and re-open on the 8th according to their website so maybe things will improve a bit then?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's sad. I love the look of their stuff and recently got a few bits from them to find out that they're even nicer in hand.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Hasslefree models are fantastic, they've just really suffered from kickstarter... overambition..? I'm not sure overambition is the right term since apparently someone left their business after it had finished and they haven't been able to replace them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The project wasn't even that ambitious, so I don't understand how they managed to gently caress themselves sideways so severely

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

NTRabbit posted:

The project wasn't even that ambitious, so I don't understand how they managed to gently caress themselves sideways so severely

I think someone left and someone's been seriously ill for a long time and they've hit the struggling to keep on top of anything point where they're overwhelmed.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I don't think it's due to the KS being overambitious (though they did make a lot of variant models which all needed sculpting and casting etc.). I'm guessing it's mainly due to that staff member leaving, possibly they were the only one with the KS passwords and stuff so it took a while to get back into their account and they're still playing catch up.

I was a late backer via backetkit and my stuff did eventually arrive so I guess it's mostly dealt with now (other than some people not receiving their stuff and needing replacements).

I also think that the KS exposed them to more of the toxic side of the community than they were expecting, according to an FB post they've been receiving abusive messages etc. which is bound to put them off things, especially with the succession of disasters last year (floods, family deaths, vital staff quitting, etc.).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yep, they have a load of stuff. Never ordered from them, tho.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're decent. I ordered some of their Rogue Stars stuff and there was the usual slight mould slippage and weirdly miscast parts that you'll see on reviews, but the Future Wars stuff I threw in with it was all great. Shipping was fast enough too. That's entirely their figures though, so it's not necessarily going to be as good when you look at the third party stuff they sell.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Personally, I haven't had any problems with Hasslefree or Wayland - accept the time Wayland sent me a GW hobby desk-thing instead of the skirmish carry case I ordered, but quicky sent me the carry case after I emailed them and they told me to keep the hobby desk.

Black Cat Miniatures/Bases may be worth checking out - they do a few cool miniatures, but you may have to email them if stuff doesn't show up in the next week or so.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just a heads up for folks here - Worldsmith Industries are closing down and having a stock clearance with some big savings available - https://worldsmithindustries.com/

From experience it's good stuff (I backed the KS and won a bunch of the ruins through the Oath thread a few years back) and you'd be supporting fellow goon Germ, so go check it out!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced guillotine?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

TTCombat has one for £3.95. Warbases has one for £9. Wargames Foundry has one for £33.

Just search "guillotine 28mm" on Google.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Yeah, I didn't find much, hence asking for goon wisdom. :cheeky: I'll check the site you gave!

If you're still looking, check out Bad Squiddo games, it's a one woman show but she's good about getting stuff out quick, she's a goon and you get bonus tea or candy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
She also posts videos like this.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Thirding the endorsement of Bad Squiddo, I basically get all my Frostgrave stuff through her whenever possible. Her service is excellent and her company is a worthy cause to support (promoting and commissioning female miniatures that aren't chainmail-bikini titty amazons).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

Thirding the endorsement of Bad Squiddo, I basically get all my Frostgrave stuff through her whenever possible. Her service is excellent and her company is a worthy cause to support (promoting and commissioning female miniatures that aren't chainmail-bikini titty amazons).

If I ever get into Soviets, I know who I'm buying some stuff from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Another endorsement for Bad Squiddo here. I've only placed a handful of orders but never had any trouble, and she has a nice selection of figures.