Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think the real appeal of Overwatch was that it was an FPS where you didn't have to be the sweatiest guy on earth to enjoy like CS:GO, and it wasn't just another dudebro military shooter. They looked at the League vs Dota comparison and realized that people love and will shell out money for silly cowboy outfits and kpop skins, so why not just bypass the pretense of being serious entirely and just make the game about kpop and cowboys?

Plus, of course, Blizzard hadn't yet completely blown all their public goodwill.

It feels like Overwatch got itself murdered by Apex, much like PUBG did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I think the initial appeal of Overwatch for me was the wide variety of mobility options between characters. Lucio, Pharah, Winston, Tracer, etc all have different ways of maneuvering the maps physically and it was a lot of fun mastering a new character.

And then every character since launch threw that out the window.

And virtually every update they made to the balance made the game less fun.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I say the appeal of overwatch was the most broadly marketable characters possible and the fact you could press an ult and feel pro even if you sucked, prove me wrong :colbert:

haveblue posted:

Furi is good and I finally beat it, on the third try (the first two were abandoned at the sniper boss)

And yeah it has a good soundtrack. One of the artists (Danger) did the whole soundtrack for their next game, Haven, and it's also very chill

Still haven't played Haven but Furi is sooo goooood.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
VG is fighting Gael in Dark Souls 3 and you're missing out if you're not watching :munch:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dioxazine posted:

It feels like Overwatch got itself murdered by Apex, much like PUBG did.

Did the same people flock to that game? Doesn't feel like it, feels like Apex was more for the people who were all horny for Overwatch Competitive seasons and ranks and are generally looking to fill evening voids with intramural FPS activities. Do the player characters in Apex even have names or personalities? I remember trying the demo and it was like, some games as service battle royale type whatever and I uninstalled it.

Overwatch felt like it had more appeal than courting just the comp FPS people

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Apex characters definitely have names and personalities, but they are maybe 1 or 2 steps above Rainbow Six Siege characters and no where near the concentrated Saturday morning cartoon appeal of Overwatch characters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am pretty sure that Siege has more story material than Overwatch at this point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwuqtRy0gw

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

How does the thread feel about AJR? Because lately "A Little Less Sad" is about the only thing that puts a smile on my face until I get home to my son.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gotta link it cause it's age restricted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J6hZyseYao

Kaine's speech :allears:

Forgot to mention don't watch if you haven't played Nier yet, I forgot how spoilerly Nier's intro is and they didn't change that for the remake.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Walla posted:

How does the thread feel about AJR? Because lately "A Little Less Sad" is about the only thing that puts a smile on my face until I get home to my son.

What's AJR

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Did the same people flock to that game? Doesn't feel like it, feels like Apex was more for the people who were all horny for Overwatch Competitive seasons and ranks and are generally looking to fill evening voids with intramural FPS activities. Do the player characters in Apex even have names or personalities? I remember trying the demo and it was like, some games as service battle royale type whatever and I uninstalled it.

Overwatch felt like it had more appeal than courting just the comp FPS people

From my friends list, it does seem that way. Most of them are casual players, but a few of them do grind Apex ranked to be fair.

Apex characters definitely have names and personalities. Maybe not early on, but they definitely do now and EA is tying the franchise in with Titanfall even tighter lately with the recent character reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTk9VD2nPuw

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlVhUbGa2pg

For some reason this song just makes me happy.

Also I've started working out with the boy after work so my gaming time is suffering but yay bonding time with my son. Also I'm really feeling my age and my herniated discs because my knee is throbbing after only a mile walk. I'd rather ride a bike but my son was never interested in learning. Also we're lifting weights now.

Picross still counts as a videogame right? I've almost finished the entire e series on the 3DS. I only have about 180 puzzles left. It's not going to be 100% though because gently caress Mega puzzles.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the only good character in Apex is the cheerful robot

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
robot wars, but it's just the token comedy relief robot from other things

apex box, claptrap, hk-47, metaton, every other robot you can talk to in fallotu games, Data, the sex machine from Jetsons, etc

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
He's no Yes Man when it comes to cheerfulness in robots

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am pretty sure that Siege has more story material than Overwatch at this point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwuqtRy0gw

RSS is now an isekai :eng101:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh yeah isn't Pickle Rick or whatever in siege now

Edit: More goofy than Overwatch CONFIRMED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed54jUDHYKk

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I hate that I play wizard poker because discussing it online always turns into a bunch of boys measuring their dicks :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/KoroneNoises/status/1384684057968009221?s=20

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Frost is white now, apparently.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 21, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People seeing anime drawings and thinking they're white will never not be ridiculous

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

People seeing anime drawings and thinking they're white will never not be ridiculous

[white person looking at an asian self-portrait]

I mean, it looks alright, but I think you need to make yourself look more distinct from white people. Can you make it look more like this?

[shows incredibly racist ww2 propaganda poster]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaius Marius posted:

Who could ever not realize this character is asian.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Pickle Rick is such a bizarre thing because in context it’s pretty funny cause it’s him making a Rube Goldberg machine to get out of counseling but everyone just seems to think it’s funny cause he’s a pickle?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I mean, it looks alright, but I think you need to make yourself look more distinct from white people. Can you make it look more like this?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

I would like you to list a thing that you think would help this character look less white and more asian

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Here we go again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sailor Moon is neither white nor Asian, she's from space

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You have fallen into my rhetorical trap, she's not asian, she's from the moon.

E: Dangit charliefoxtrot

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

dioxazine posted:

Here we go again.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

Frost has a darker skin tone in RSS.

It might just be the lighting on the loadout or something though.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm mixed race as opposed to white, and she looks like she has a different skin tone in RSS and arknights. There was no further meaning to taken from this statement beyond observing that it was different. She looked like she had a skin tone similar to mine. Now she does not.:shrug:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 21, 2021

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

usagi is a reincarnation of the moon princess (uh, whos from the moon), but she was born in japan to a fam there :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think anyone thought Mr. Popo was white

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dragon ball isnt anime its fine culture

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A-Ko's parents are Superman and Wonderwoman, ergo she is a comic book character

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sorry this is the only A-Ko I will Acknowledge

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Khanstant posted:

robot wars, but it's just the token comedy relief robot from other things

apex box, claptrap, hk-47, metaton, every other robot you can talk to in fallotu games, Data, the sex machine from Jetsons, etc

This made me remember EMET, my favorite bipolar robot from the now-dead Evolve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7tLir6YO3M

Having your cheerful medic suddenly scream "NUKE THE MONSTER UNTIL IT GLOWS THEN WE'LL gently caress IT IN THE DARK" after catching the enemy in a dome never got old.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I went to close my blinds before bed and it's loving snowing outside. I heard about there maybe being some earlier today but gently caress Ohio man

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kerrzhe posted:

i didnt get to participate in the favorite menu music linkstorm (too many links, not enough time!) cause the only menu music i can remember is Banjo Kazooie,

but i'd like to state that Furi has one of the best game soundtracks ive heard in a long time. i did not play it but several songs from it come up on my Pandora station on the regular and man they are really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CGMk_roNaE0

Yeah the Furi soundtrack is straight up amazing incredible. Its up there with like Hotline Miami for unbelievably good game soundtracks that turn you on to new bands you'll love.

That track is one of my favorites, this is the other one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAAi7jWOl8

Just so swanky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

Dragon ball isnt anime its fine culture

, but you repeat yourself