Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Does this thread ever do the thing where we tell each other what we're bidding on so we don't bid against each other?

My 2 cents on this one. Every once in a blue moon I'll see someone do it, but I honestly think most people are thinking along the lines of "I could post it and say I've got dibs and let tons of people look at it, or I could not post it and prevent lots of people from looking at it period and not give them a chance at all to kick me in the balls."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flowerypursuit posted:

The last one is SaGa Frontier. I had a copy from a flea market which load the SquareSoft logo and then nothing else. It became a clock.

Really, that's the best thing you can do with a SaGa Frontier disk. It's better than playing it.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Awesome, the guy who I bought the Mr. Gimmick reproduction cart from refuses to take it as a return and marked the auction as No Returns when he sold it. He told me I should be "well aware" of the risk with reproduction carts and that they are well known. That's weird, I have tons of reproduction carts that work just fine.

Ughhh

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 11, 2014

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

URL grey tea posted:

Awesome, the guy who I bought the Mr. Gimmick reproduction cart from refuses to take it as a return and marked the auction as No Returns when he sold it. He told me I should be "well aware" of the risk with reproduction carts and that they are well known. That's weird, I have tons of reproduction carts that work just fine.

Ughhh

:c file a claim

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

URL grey tea posted:

Ughhh

Was his username Drakon? :ohdear:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

peeNamaste posted:

:c file a claim

For what? "no returns" means just that, seems like he's SOL.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There's still an onus of a purchase having to, you know, work, unless there's a very specific mention of it (e.g. selling a lot of broken systems for parts/repair), and he'd probably win an eBay dispute without issue.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

URL grey tea posted:

...and marked the auction as No Returns when he sold it.

I'm not getting this part for a couple of reasons, the main one being that I didn't even know that this was possible to do. Are you saying that he sold the item to you, like you won the auction or did the Buy it Now, and then he marked it as no returns after the fact?

Or did you go into the auction knowing there were no returns but bought it anyways?

If it's that second one, you may be poo poo out of luck, but then eBay is pretty well known for always siding with the buyer and there's "buyer protections" out the rear end so you can probably eventually get your money back if you dispute it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

univbee posted:

There's still an onus of a purchase having to, you know, work, unless there's a very specific mention of it (e.g. selling a lot of broken systems for parts/repair), and he'd probably win an eBay dispute without issue.

Exactly. A no return policy means that if the item worked as described, but the buyer didn't like it for some reason, or didn't read the description of the auction, they can't just send it back. However ebay has pretty strict regulations about selling things that aren't as they were described. Setting "No Returns" doesn't mean that they get a pass for ripping people off.

File a claim. Ebay almost always sides with buyers. Then give the seller bad feedback.

Edit: You probably won't get a working repro, but it's likely that you'll get your money back.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Katana Gomai posted:

For what? "no returns" means just that, seems like he's SOL.

If you're willing to accept you may have to destroy your game cart with a hammer, you might be able to succeed using a PayPal dispute. It really depends on which way the wind is blowing that day tho. Sometimes PayPal bends over backwards to help out buyers to an insane degree (see the long popular eBay scam of saying products weren't delivered) and other times they flip their poo poo if you try and dispute a purchase.

"No Returns" is different from "Not a Working Product". Ebay and/or PayPal usually come to the side of the buyer if they were rightfully deceived or if the seller didn't do due diligence (IE Advertised the cart as working when it wasn't which is against eBay ToS). This is why I photograph every step of me mailing products to customers. One time I got an ebay complaint over some Magic The Gathering cards I had mailed being all hosed up when they got to the destination (this was a tightly packed box of ~250 cards or so, so unlikely). They had dirt and footprints and poo poo on them. Ebay said that I had misrepresented them as being in "good condition" when they weren't and wanted me to refund, but then I had pictures that proved I did everything correctly (the cards had shown up to the persons house in a totally different box) and so the guy was able to win a claim against UPS for loving up his poo poo (its pretty clear they got spilled somewhere along the way and were hastily shoved into a random new box by some poor underpaid guy).

But it really depends. Sometimes eBay pulls out all the guns for ToS violations, other times they are less helpful. However I think here he should at least look into it because even if they guy tried to weasel around it, unless he specifically said the cart was in as-condition he may have violated the ToS by misrepresenting the product as being in a condition it wasn't in.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wouldn't eBay take issue with the fact that the item sold is a repro to begin with? Or are their terms of service vague enough to allow reproduction items?

It's been a while since I actually bought something off of there but I thought they had rules against selling stuff like that in the first place.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

univbee posted:

I agree with this 100%. VERY few auctions I've been a part of have returns enabled, but every single dispute I've ever been a part of (ebay/paypal related) as a buyer and seller has went how I thought it should. I've read tons of horror stories about others but mine have always worked out. Unless the condition/description was as-is or parts only, you've got a case worth fighting for ESPECIALLY figuring the price you paid for it.

Unless he's being a dick and/or selling something he KNEW was bad, I can see where he's coming from thinking you have a dirty NES or something. But the plain and simple fact he sold you something that was assumed to work and obviously did not work (in his defense maybe he tested the title screen alone or something) so there's no reason to not file a dispute in my opinion.

-- I also suggest doing all of your messaging if you haven't already through ebay's message tool because one of the first things they'll do is review message history. As long as you're polite, straight forward and respectful you'll be in the clear.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 11, 2014

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Here's something I've been thinking about: how long do you guys think all our stuff is going to last? Which console will be the first to be functionally extinct? Which will be the last? I think Nintendo 64 hardware will last for God drat ever. Being one of those nuts who keeps a CRT Trinitron it makes me sad that there will come a day when working CRTs can't be found anymore and no one knows how to fix them or has the parts, especially since hoarding spares of those fuckers would probably be grounds for divorce.

I know the main issue with a lot of solid state components is cap rot but it's likely there will be people who can replace caps for my lifetime at least, presuming we don't go all Mad Max when the oil runs out and global warming kicks in.

I have to assume emulation will just get better and better, until collecting is really the only reason to buy the original hardware.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 11, 2014

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
N64 could be the first to go. Those analog sticks will all wear out at some point.

I think anything that relied on fragile magnetic media is worth worrying about. There are lots of floppy disks, cassettes and fds disks that have deteriorated already.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Imagined posted:

Here's something I've been thinking about : how long do you guys think all our stuff is going to last? Which console will be the first to be functionally extinct? Which will be the last?

I truly believe Virtual Boys will be the first to go until someone comes up with (unless they have already) a sure fire way to fix the glue/adhesive problem that the oven trick temp fixes. That and the fact there are WAY fewer VBs around than almost any other console.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Imagined posted:

Here's something I've been thinking about : how long do you guys think all our stuff is going to last? Which console will be the first to be functionally extinct? Which will be the last? I think Nintendo 64 hardware will last for God drat ever. Being one of those nuts who keeps a CRT Trinitron it makes me sad that there will come a day when working CRTs can't be found anymore and no one knows how to fix them or has the parts.

I know the main issue with a lot of solid state components is cap rot but it's likely there will be people who can replace caps for my lifetime at least, presuming we don't go all Mad Max when the oil runs out and global warming kicks in.

I have to assume emulation will just get better and better, until collecting is really the only reason to buy the original hardware.

With reasonable confidence I don't think we'll see a major console go extinct or down to "only a few museums in the world still have working ones" status within our lifetime, outside of maybe some niche cases like the Jaguar CD/Virtual Boy. The Atari 2600 and NES, to grab two examples, were produced in pretty incredible numbers and are both easily found without having to take out a loan to buy. We're also in an era of collectors/hoarders/scalpers who, for various reasons, have barely-used good condition consoles, and in great enough numbers that I'm pretty sure some collector in the year 2100 won't have that much trouble buying a working one if they have a set mind about it.

As an example, here's a completed auction for a working, good-condition phonograph player that's 105-110 years old:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ANTIQUE-1900...8daa8972&_uhb=1

Sold for $712; that's less than twice what some of us paid for our Framemeisters, and about half what I spent on my last TV set (this was a while ago, before the price really plummeted).

It'd probably be a good idea to keep an eye on the wooden model Atari 2600's, if those start ramping up in rarity/price due to prevalent failure the NES might not be far behind.

Beyond that you have the systems with fragile parts, most commonly the old-style portable screens like what you have on an Atari Lynx, Sega Game Gear and Virtual Boy (known fragile, and also rare-ish given the system's short life and poor sales).

Optical drives are also problematic, although the first really successful disc-based system, the PS1, has a whole lot of options to continue playing those games (both on a PS2 and PS3, with downloads possible on the latter and Sony's handhelds). Between the PS1, PS2, and PS3, there are 335 million devices out there (minus the broken/destroyed ones) that can play PS1 discs, counting the PS2 and PS3; the PS2 only just stopped production and the PS3 is still trucking along nicely. So I don't think it's something we have to lose sleep over just yet. :)

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 11, 2014

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Or did you go into the auction knowing there were no returns but bought it anyways?

They listed the auction as No Returns, but eBay even states:

Returns:
Seller does not offer returns. You are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee if you received an item that is not as described in the listing.

However, when I marked it as "Not Described" eBay doesn't allow you to file a PayPal claim or escalate it - all options default to "Contact Seller" for any resolution. It is my fault for not paying attention to the "Return Policy", but at the same time, are we really going to pull that kind of thing and go "oops gently caress you" when you list it as "Brand New" and "MINT condition" and it doesn't even work correctly and is unplayable at times.

They seem to be opening to the idea of returning it, so I am not sure if I should have the local place try to flash new EPROMs or just ship it back. Obviously if I start flashing EPROM and replacing stuff, it shouldn't be their burden anymore.

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 11, 2014

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Tyson Tomko posted:

I truly believe Virtual Boys will be the first to go until someone comes up with (unless they have already) a sure fire way to fix the glue/adhesive problem that the oven trick temp fixes. That and the fact there are WAY fewer VBs around than almost any other console.

There is another technique. It involves melting a blob of solder over the ribbon cable. It melts the plastic, then solders the copper traces to the display pcb. Then you clean the solder up with solder wick so everything isn't bridged together.

There is a youtube video of someone doing it, I've been meaning to give it a shot on mine but haven't gotten around to it.

The VirtualBoy is the only console I have in my collection that is any kind of rare, so probably that for me.

My guess for first to be extinct though would be the Jaguar, aren't they known for being pretty faulty? Or is that just the Jaguar CD?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

URL grey tea posted:

They listed the auction as No Returns, but eBay even states:

Returns:
Seller does not offer returns. You are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee if you received an item that is not as described in the listing.

However, when I marked it as "Not Described" eBay doesn't allow you to file a PayPal claim or escalate it - all options default to "Contact Seller" for any resolution. It is my fault for not paying attention to the "Return Policy", but at the same time, are we really going to pull that kind of thing and go "oops gently caress you" when you list it as "Brand New" and "MINT condition" and it doesn't even work correctly and is unplayable at times.

They seem to be opening to the idea of returning it, so I am not sure if I should have the local place try to flash new EPROMs or just ship it back. Obviously if I start flashing EPROM and replacing stuff, it shouldn't be their burden anymore.

A claim begins with contact seller. After you do that you'll have options that are like "He seller hasn't resolved this issue in x days, request refund" or some poo poo like that.

Edit: As for extinct consoles, I'm pretty sure that the Jaguar CD is already extinct. I've never seen a working one and I don't know anyone that has. I believe that all disc systems will die out before a single cart system does. Moving parts and proprietary read heads and lasers are really going to be the coffin nails here.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 11, 2014

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Imagined posted:

Here's something I've been thinking about : how long do you guys think all our stuff is going to last?

To answer this question in reverse, it seems difficult to get a working Sega CD (at least around here, and especially a Model 1 - working Model 2s are more frequent)

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

peeNamaste posted:

A claim begins with contact seller. After you do that you'll have options that are like "He seller hasn't resolved this issue in x days, request refund" or some poo poo like that.

That's the weird part - once the seller responded, I still only have "Add Comment" and "Close Case"

edit: Missed the part where I need to wait a few days - hopefully the option to Request Return / Refund show up later.

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 11, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

McFunkerson posted:

My guess for first to be extinct though would be the Jaguar, aren't they known for being pretty faulty? Or is that just the Jaguar CD?

I think it's mainly the CD unit, since it's a rare add-on that requires an also-rare console, and was itself notorious for being faulty as gently caress; James Rolfe and Mike Matei eventually got their hands on a working unit and played through a bunch of games in a chilled-out fashion, but as the Nerd he spent like $450 on two Jaguar CD's that were broken. He sent one to his console-modding wizard friend (the guy who made the NES toaster among other things) and he couldn't for the life of him get it to work despite going to considerable extremes, even direct-soldering the Jaguar CD connectors to the Jaguar itself and rigorous testing to ensure the connection was solid.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

URL grey tea posted:

To answer this question in reverse, it seems difficult to get a working Sega CD (at least around here, and especially a Model 1 - working Model 2s are more frequent)

Oh I'd be so sad if my [model 2] Sega CD died! After 20 years I finally just got one. Have to admit, that was what got me thinking about the topic though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

On the bright side, in 20 years I bet 3d printing will have advanced to a point at which any component for an old system that isn't manufactured anymore could be printed.

New technology will help us keep our old technology going.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

URL grey tea posted:

That's the weird part - once the seller responded, I still only have "Add Comment" and "Close Case"

edit: Missed the part where I need to wait a few days - hopefully the option to Request Return / Refund show up later.

Typically, buyers cannot file a claim until 10 have past from the auction end

You're probably gonna have to wait.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

peeNamaste posted:

On the bright side, in 20 years I bet 3d printing will have advanced to a point at which any component for an old system that isn't manufactured anymore could be printed.

New technology will help us keep our old technology going.

I doubt we'd see this in our lifetime either, cool as it would be; even really old computer hardware has pretty rigorous precision requirements. You know that flood in Thailand that seriously hamstringed hard drive production, and how everyone was asking why so much production was geographically in one place? Well, they basically got the production working just right with the local materials there, and found that attempting to do the exact same thing somewhere else due to minute differences in things like exact purity of materials meant the difference between "this hard drive works fine" to "nothing works at all".

I want things to reach a point where I can 3D print a smaller 3D printer. :pcgaming:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

univbee posted:

I doubt we'd see this in our lifetime either, cool as it would be; even really old computer hardware has pretty rigorous precision requirements. You know that flood in Thailand that seriously hamstringed hard drive production, and how everyone was asking why so much production was geographically in one place? Well, they basically got the production working just right with the local materials there, and found that attempting to do the exact same thing somewhere else due to minute differences in things like exact purity of materials meant the difference between "this hard drive works fine" to "nothing works at all".

I want things to reach a point where I can 3D print a smaller 3D printer. :pcgaming:

I was more thinking along the lines of gears and belts and other mechanical things. I know we probably won't be able to 3d print a laser. But for that sort of thing I have faith that people will make poo poo work.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

peeNamaste posted:

Exactly. A no return policy means that if the item worked as described, but the buyer didn't like it for some reason, or didn't read the description of the auction, they can't just send it back. However ebay has pretty strict regulations about selling things that aren't as they were described. Setting "No Returns" doesn't mean that they get a pass for ripping people off.

It's not just eBay. In the United States there is a thing called the warranty of merchantability. Basically, it means that a product that you sell has to function as described. If it doesn't then you get a replacement or a refund. It doesn't matter if they have a sign up saying "no refunds", this is the law. Of course, that won't stop businesses from going, "Tough poo poo, we have a sign. :smug:"

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It's not just eBay. In the United States there is a thing called the warranty of merchantability. Basically, it means that a product that you sell has to function as described. If it doesn't then you get a replacement or a refund. It doesn't matter if they have a sign up saying "no refunds", this is the law. Of course, that won't stop businesses from going, "Tough poo poo, we have a sign. :smug:"

In the seller's defense, they did list it as "Brand New" and unplayed, so technically they didn't know it didn't work correctly. If that is the truth at least.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

peeNamaste posted:

Edit: As for extinct consoles, I'm pretty sure that the Jaguar CD is already extinct. I've never seen a working one and I don't know anyone that has. I believe that all disc systems will die out before a single cart system does. Moving parts and proprietary read heads and lasers are really going to be the coffin nails here.
I have a working one. Played some Baldies on it a few weeks ago. :smuggo:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tyson Tomko posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to successfully mod a virtual boy to use two actual LED displays instead of sets of spinning mirrors and single-column LEDs.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to successfully mod a virtual boy to use two actual LED displays instead of sets of spinning mirrors and single-column LEDs.

Is that seriously how the virtual boy works? I had no idea. No wonder they fail so often.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wa27 posted:

Is that seriously how the virtual boy works? I had no idea. No wonder they fail so often.

Yep. There are two 224 pixel tall columns of red LEDs, one for each eye. Each eye has a moving mirror that vibrates back and forth to create the illusion of a 384 pixel wide line for each of the actual pixels.

This was done because actual arrays of the LEDs to form each screen would have been too expensive, and they didn't want to instead try dual LCD screens with backlights (if I remember right that also would have been more expensive to do to get the same resolution). And of course, the red color was used because in those days red LEDs were by far the cheapest available.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Question for discussion: who was the LJN of Japan? Setting side the various hidden for-hire development houses that churned out poo poo for everyone like Micronics and TOSE who worked in secret ala Rare at the time, who is the publisher that people learned to avoid in Japan?

There's a couple of obvious criteria here. First, they had to release enough games to make an impact. Second, they needed to be consistently cheap and awful; no sudden upswing in quality when they got their act together.

My nominee has to be Kemco. They released a lot of bad games that, fortunately, were rarely sent overseas. One of the few we did get in the US was Superman.

So who else? Pony Canyon? Anyone want to make a case against Bandai?

And if anyone wants to go for the spin off: who was the LJN of early 90's European computer game developers? I have no clue on that regard but someone must have been making terrible Amiga games by the ton.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

wa27 posted:

They only fail because Nintendo used glue to hold the ribbon cable to the LED instead of solder. That's literally the only reason.

Nothing moving inside the console breaks or anything; it's just the freakin' glue wears out.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

I have a working one. Played some Baldies on it a few weeks ago. :smuggo:

What's up working Jag CD buddy :hfive: ! Of course these going extinct probably wouldn't be a bad thing. God did it have a lovely library. I've said it before and will say it again, it has to have the highest poo poo to good game ratio of any console.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Bootleg GBA Cart posted:

They only fail because Nintendo used glue to hold the ribbon cable to the LED instead of solder. That's literally the only reason.

Nothing moving inside the console breaks or anything; it's just the freakin' glue wears out.

I've had locked up mirrors in a Virtual Boy before.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nintendo Kid posted:

I've had locked up mirrors in a Virtual Boy before.

Of course you have, Nintendo Kid. Of course you have.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I wish I could get my model 1 sega cd to work. The cd drive won't open and I'm terrible at fixing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Random Stranger posted:

Question for discussion: who was the LJN of Japan? Setting side the various hidden for-hire development houses that churned out poo poo for everyone like Micronics and TOSE who worked in secret ala Rare at the time, who is the publisher that people learned to avoid in Japan?

I think it has to be Bandai? Almost everything they published was either a Famicom Trainer game, or a TV show / movie license they'd farmed out to a one of the notorious kusoge developers.

quote:

And if anyone wants to go for the spin off: who was the LJN of early 90's European computer game developers?

Most (if not all) Amiga publishers have a huge spread of respectable games, mixed in with shovelware in their backcatalogues. The games industry in the UK was very different to the US, because publishing a game consisted of copying it onto a floppy disc, and mailing it out to prospective publishers, who might ask you to change the main sprite to a particular licensed character, and then release it the next month.

I'd say Ocean or Titus or are the biggest poo poo-merchants. It's hard to judge, because for every terrible Amiga game, there'll be at least 10 people who rush to defend it.

• Locked thread