Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's a nice mid game weapon but don't feel bad, there are plenty of weapons to choose from. A Claymore is similar and has much lower requirements.

Black Knight Greatsword and Claymore are huge loving differences. IDK about the 1h sword though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
So I rang the first bell, time to go down I guess. About time, I was stuck on those gargoyles for loving ages.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

What! I'll have a little chat with him now, and maybe test that new shiny dark hand I've found :unsmigghh:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also Grawl, do you think it's possible to make a model exporter for this game?

I wanna see about getting some of these badass armors/weapons in fallout or skyrim.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Who the gently caress wants medieval armor in Fallout?

On the other hand, I'd poo poo ginger biscuits if Bethesda hired the guys at From to do the combat for the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout 4.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Has anyone come up with a fix for the framerate issues yet, or is there word of an official patch coming down the line? I really want to play this but even with the resolution patch, the framerate just makes it unplayable. No idea why, as I'm on an Nvidia 650M and Core i7, but even with blur and AA off it just fluctuates wildly.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

FrickenMoron posted:

Is being low level bad for summoning? I'm trying to summon a helper for the capra demon but I can't find any summoning signs, I have no trouble getting summoned though.

From what I understand it has to do with the average level ppl are at at any given point in the game vs your own level and the place in the game you try to summon.

I think the lvl range is something like -6 and +6 your level. So if the average player is, say, level 22 then you need to be in the 16-28 range to summon them.

Most people will probably not be at the low level you are when they get there.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
drat it, I would find the Blighttown Fire Keeper Soul after I ring the second bell. Lautrec isn't until Anor Londo, right? Means I have to work through Sen's Fortress first... :argh:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

redmercer posted:

On the other hand, I'd poo poo ginger biscuits if Bethesda hired the guys at From to do the combat for the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout 4.

You could modify it to be post apoc if you had the models to work with?

Also some of these weapons would work out in fallout, along with a ton of the monsters. Marts Mutant Mod has Nekkers for example, which is badass. A lot of these monsters could easily work in fallout imo.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

redmercer posted:

I feel like the thing that's innovative about Dark Souls' combat is the fact that getting hit actually matters as well as making sure you hit the enemy at the exact right time and either get away or block. You could probably do this in Skyrim right now by tweaking the animation speeds and damage output to be more in line with Dark Souls but I wouldn't want to have to do it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Artix74 posted:

drat it, I would find the Blighttown Fire Keeper Soul after I ring the second bell. Lautrec isn't until Anor Londo, right? Means I have to work through Sen's Fortress first... :argh:

There Is another firekeeper hiding out in blighttown if you want to have her reinforce your estus.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I like that hitting a dude in the head with an arrow most times is an insta kill. It's harder to do this with the guys that have helmets though for obvious reasons.

Blood spews from their skull (why do hollows even need blood?) and they lurch over slowly and collapse. The animations ITG own hard.

So pretty much, all the covenants are pvp based? What's the best one to have if you never pvp?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 28, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

havenwaters posted:

There Is another firekeeper hiding out in blighttown if you want to have her reinforce your estus.

...I'm listening. I swear I searched that drat place top to bottom and found nothing of the sort. Also, while I'm at it, where's Quelaag's sister or whoever? I didn't see them after beating Quelaag, and I really want to pick up some of the advanced pyromancies.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Artix74 posted:

...I'm listening. I swear I searched that drat place top to bottom and found nothing of the sort. Also, while I'm at it, where's Quelaag's sister or whoever? I want to learn some sweet pyromancies.

Well I'm kinda talking about Quellag's sister. Go down to the room where you rung the bell. One of the walls in there is an illusion. You'll meet an egg carrying guy, answer yes to his question and you'll see quellag's sister. If you want a few special chaos pyromancy spells you can join her covenant and feed her 30 humanity.

Now. Quellanna is the pyromancer trainer in this area. She's back at one of those pillars in the muck just before the three rock guys guarding quellag's lair. It's the pillar on the left if you're coming from quellag's.

edit: The pillar is in the muck just past the rock guys if you're coming from Quellag's lair.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like that hitting a dude in the head with an arrow most times is an insta kill. It's harder to do this with the guys that have helmets though for obvious reasons.

Blood spews from their skull (why do hollows even need blood?) and they lurch over slowly and collapse. The animations ITG own hard.

So pretty much, all the covenants are pvp based? What's the best one to have if you never pvp?

If you're not careful, you'll find enemies can return the favor :ssh:

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

On this occasion, I do mean what I said. Crazy people that would be happy to stuff your face full of knives, because hey, why not. Chances are decent I'm misusing sociopath however.

I find that area a bad one to invade in, since the odds are pretty good that you will have to do a lot of climbing around to find your prey, and the odds are really good that you will just get kicked off or fall off when you do. That or a really long stalemate as they sit some place you can't get to without being left vulnerable reaching.

I like assisting in there though. Sort of stinks when get toxxed as soon as you join because you took for granted that there are a bunch of dart guys hanging around until you kill them.

Also, this has always been bugging me. Who the gently caress is the furtive pygmy anyway? I went through this game a couple times on the PS3, and never quite figured it out.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Three of the covenants have basically no or little effect on multiplayer.

Five of the covenants are based on different types of PvP.

One of the covenants is based around Co-op.

Mucking About
May 30, 2011

:toot: Finally beat the first black knight! :toot:

It took me way too many tries, but it is done! Got a ring out of it, sadly no fancy black knight drops. Still, woo! Finally being victorious after so many failures is a great thing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Great, got invaded at SL11 by a mgic user who annihilated me in 2 casts. I guess a low lvl pvp build too?

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Ok I presume that Seath the Scaleless first(i supose this is not over) fight i was meant to lose, but was it posible to actualy win it? by extreme grinding or some specific strat? Just curious.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

AParadox posted:

Ok I presume that Seath the Scaleless first(i supose this is not over) fight i was meant to lose, but was it posible to actualy win it? by extreme grinding or some specific strat? Just curious.

Nah, you can't damage him at all.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Maremidon posted:

Nah, you can't damage him at all.

Ok, figured as much, that guy owns me 50k souls and 6 humanities :argh:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Perfect Potato posted:

Finally! I'm out of Blighttown and just below the Firelink Shrine! I'll never have to go to that hellhole ever ag----*falls down the elevator shaft* :darksouls:

The exact same thing happened to me like a page or two prior to your post. The glory of making it out of Blighttown only to die in the most retarded possible way.

Does Havel not show up until after a certain point? I made my way over to his tower and he wasn't there.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I love the way the DLC starts. Hmm, a boss fight already? Ok I should take my rusted iron ring off and put on a cloranthy. NOPE.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

havenwaters posted:

Well I'm kinda talking about Quellag's sister. Go down to the room where you rung the bell. One of the walls in there is an illusion. You'll meet an egg carrying guy, answer yes to his question and you'll see quellag's sister. If you want a few special chaos pyromancy spells you can join her covenant and feed her 30 humanity.

Now. Quellanna is the pyromancer trainer in this area. She's back at one of those pillars in the muck just before the three rock guys guarding quellag's lair. It's the pillar on the left if you're coming from quellag's.

edit: The pillar is in the muck just past the rock guys if you're coming from Quellag's lair.

So just to make sure I understood that, Quelaag's Sister is the firekeeper that can reinforce my Estus Flask, and I have to tell the guy I'm a recruit to get in. That should make me in the covenant though, yes? I can just go to Oswald and be like "gently caress this, I'm out?"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Artix74 posted:

So just to make sure I understood that, Quelaag's Sister is the firekeeper that can reinforce my Estus Flask, and I have to tell the guy I'm a recruit to get in. That should make me in the covenant though, yes? I can just go to Oswald and be like "gently caress this, I'm out?"

No you don't actually join the covenant when talking to the guy. To join the covenant you have to talk to Quelaag's sister and choose enter covenant

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
The game will always ask you "enter covenant?" when you are about to join a covenant.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

VisAbsoluta posted:

For people saying it's a good port in the last few pages because they can run it in 9000x6700, I dunno. I have a reasonable setup (HD5770, Phenom II X4 955BE, 4GB of DDR3) and I have very unstable FPS with the lovely graphics of the default resolution (not using Durante's fix) in 1600x900, which is very annoying. Lots of people with the same trouble too, mostly in AMD cards. I created a profile for the game yesterday and the little I played after seemed improved, although it could be a placebo effect.

So, while I think it's a decent port with no issues outside of performance and I'm glad I didn't have to spend the U$90 a PS3 game costs here to play Dark Souls, it's nowhere near a good port -- it's terrible in comparison to something like the PC version of Alan Wake, for instance, which truly is an excellent work.

Did you try the game with the resolution fix? Because my game runs noticeably smoother with it on than with no fix at all.

Also, I don't think anyone disagrees that this is not a "good" PC port since it doesn't take advantage of PC features and controls, but with a gamepad it recreates the console experience with higher fidelity (with the fix) of, in my opinion, one of the best games of all time. My only major problem with it is that I'm having a much harder time summoning/getting summoned on the PC.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Stele007 posted:

Did you try the game with the resolution fix? Because my game runs noticeably smoother with it on than with no fix at all.

What are your system specs?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Are there any consequences or items I will miss if I kill the [really early game spoilers] Undead Merchant for his Uchigatana?. If I can't drop a Balder Side Sword in 30 more minutes of farming or something, I guess I will kill him, even though I didn't want to kill any NPCs like that.

Stele007 posted:

Yes. However, I'm about to try that for a second time in a few minutes and will be back with a trip report.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

Are there any consequences or items I will miss if I kill the [really early game spoilers] Undead Merchant for his Uchigatana?. If I can't drop a Balder Side Sword in 30 more minutes of farming or something, I guess I will kill him, even though I didn't want to kill any NPCs like that.

Only real consequence is that you won't have an unlimited supply of Lloyd Talismans. You use those to stop enemies and players you invade from drinking estus flasks.

Also if you forget to buy the residence key and/or the orange soapstone you'll be out of luck for those items.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
^^
He doesn't drop those on death anymore?

VisAbsoluta posted:

[really early game spoilers] Undead Merchant for his Uchigatana?

You get a point of Sin, which lets darkmoons invade you. You also lose access to the only merchant that sells lloyd's talismans, if you plan to do any invading. (Prevents your invadee from using estus for a good... 30 seconds? A minute? Most people aren't used to them since they're only rarely used, so they don't know how to handle them).

Other than that, not really.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VisAbsoluta posted:

I think that when you kill him he drops the only item that he gives that no one else can.

edit: oh, didn't know about the Lloyd's talismans.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

VisAbsoluta posted:

Not quite. He has some useful stuff to be sure, but I think the other one offers better goods.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think my favorite thing to do in dark souls is sunbroing while masquerading as NPCs/Enemies and such. Was thinking of making a new silver knight impersonator like this, but I don't actually have much experience with weapon buffs (or sorcery in general). The silver knight straight sword is enchantable, right? While huge casting doesn't really seem to fit into the silver knight thing, I can see buffing the sword if it works.

I tend to find that a lot of the armor looks better on larger bodytypes too. Large body tends to be my standard. The extra-large body can sometimes get a bit of a too-wide fatty look. The thinner bodies can look a bit too stick-like and emaciated when trying to do lookalikes.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Edwhirl posted:

You also lose access to the only merchant that sells lloyd's talismans

The DLC merchant sells Lloyd's Talismans too.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

I think my favorite thing to do in dark souls is sunbroing while masquerading as NPCs/Enemies and such.

Looking forward to some of this, but I had enormous amounts of fun the other day, as unproductive as it was, invading other players in an attempt to infect them with the egg head worm, and suck humanities. I did get three or four infections. Not so many humanities (0 from players. ALL humanities from dark hand were courtesy of Solaire summons).

Basically, just trying to be a dick, without enormously setting people backward.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I used to invade people naked, cast flash sweat, and chase them around trying to do the Well, What is it gesture right next to them.

Fun times.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Kiggles posted:

What are your system specs?

i7 2600k
Radeon HD 6950
8GB memory, don't remember the clock speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Gah, Kalameet leaves barely any openings, he harshly punishes me whenever I screw up, he has way too much health and he's just not fun to fight at all. I try to get up close to him, but he has too many attacks that I confuse and the lock on messes me up when he does that "fly into the air and breath straight down" attack sometimes.

• Locked thread