Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

carry on then posted:

amazing how these companies can also ban the installation of binaries through web browsers on the device and require all installs go through their trackable, givable to police app store

the entire value of the ios platform is the app store, if you want arbitrary code installation from untrusted sources, android is right over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

the entire value of the ios platform is the app store, if you want arbitrary code installation from untrusted sources, android is right over there.

I want to be able to install what I want on my phone. I also want the OS not to suck rear end. What are my options?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you don't have any.

you can use the poo poo os that no one cares about or you can use the less poo poo os that's specifically curated. the curated one is better by every metric except your freedom

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

or go join the gnu freebirds atop a pile of failed projects and terrible hardware

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

I want to be able to install what I want on my phone. I also want the OS not to suck rear end. What are my options?

here’s a thing, op:

How an iOS developer built an alternative App Store for the iPhone

i used it to put a pokymans rom on my phone. worked well.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

what you want sucks and will make the OS suck rear end, apple is saving you from yourself

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Perplx posted:

what you want sucks and will make the OS suck rear end, apple is saving you from yourself

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Perplx posted:

no they arent. ios already sucks rear end and the app store is universally garbage.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perplx posted:

windows seems to handle it just fine

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah no one ever gets malware or sketchy fake tech support poo poo on windows, thats well-known for sure.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

yeah no one ever gets malware or sketchy fake tech support poo poo on windows, thats well-known for sure.

it works 4 me

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

correct, that sort of screen sharing malware does work surprisingly well on windows

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

People who treat the App Store like it's the source of all of iOS security are simultaneously overrating and underrating Apple. They're pouring all the credit on the store while neglecting that it's also because Apple maintains a more restrictive security model on their devices (e.g., MAC vs. DAC), is far more diligent with security updates, has no other OEMs and so avoids the problem of crappy customizations entirely. Google's Play Store is also no different in kind from the App Store- it's simply shittier and less maintained. So there are third-party Android app stores with stricter security policies and better quality, like F-Droid.

There's nothing inherently more secure about a 1st party vs. a 3rd party app store. Windows Phone's store was full of crap apps too even though that OS wasn't open sores. It sucks that Apple is the only major player who's figured that out (though idk, maybe webOS had an okay store?), but it doesn't always have to be that way. I think the CyanogenMod guys were trying to make a better Android experience which included a better store, before it flamed out. I wouldn't use a hypothetical Steam app store on iOS, but they could probably have good QC.

you don't have any.

you can use the poo poo os that no one cares about or you can use the less poo poo os that's specifically curated. the curated one is better by every metric except your freedom

Funnily enough, Apple prevents devs from creating their own curation apps or app-discovery services. The whole "plz help us Tim" letter was written by a guy working on such a service.

It's been thirteen years, you'd think that Apple would be able to find a middle ground so that trusted third parties can do some of the work for them

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

it works 4 me

you should use a android phone for power users then, apple makes idiot proof appliances for filthy casuals

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perplx posted:

you should use a android phone for power users then, apple makes idiot proof appliances for filthy casuals

no, I want to be able to scroll without the os hitching and sputtering

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Perplx posted:

Recommendations to self-harm forbidden!

:mad:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

I wouldn't use a hypothetical Steam app store on iOS, but they could probably have good QC.
have you ever looked at the steam store

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i NEED the newest anroid telephone every 2 months because i must have the fastest overclocked multi-clock setup ever trigger-pulled and daily-driven

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
what’s google’s flagship phone called today?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

99% of people need an appliance, not a computer to janitor and the freedom to install apps from a Russian website. the ones that want that should not buy an iPhone.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

They're at least decent at quickly scrubbing crap after the fact

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

no kidding. it's a joke, especially when you start getting into the homebrew modding they host on there and it seems like Valve has completely abandoned it.

I heard about some popular Left4Dead mod that was removing main menu items and things from the game without telling the user and valve don't give 2 shits about it.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

President Beep posted:

what’s google’s flagship phone called today?

the iPhone, op

they discontinued the "flagship" 4 and won't release it's successor for months lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i stopped jailbreaking my phone a long time ago cause the only unsanctioned apps you can get are garbage poo poo for idiots and theyre even worse than the garbage poo poo for idiots thats on the app store

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I had an Android (the Sprint exclusive Galaxy or Epic or some poo poo that had the sidekick-style slide-out keyboard?) and I rooted it to get, I dunno, "KitKat" on it?

Then I just got a loving iPhone in like 2011 or 12 and they've been needs-suiting?

:shrug:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Android's advantage used to be being able to put a system-wide adblock on the device that even made the official YouTube app unable to access ads

but this breaks banking apps now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

android’s advantage is anime roms

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

android’s advantage is the professional software development practices that "~*~WeedGoku69~*~" and "BONER HITLER 420" follow in development of their OS builds.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
if two iPhones are signed in to the same Apple ID, can both use Apple Card at the stores?

I have two iPhones. The 11 is my 2n daily driver phone. The SE(original 4-inch) resides in the armrest of my car permanently because my car only has CarPlay and no Android Auto for my primary driver Pixel 4 phone... I use the SE and CarPlay for navigation and music only and it never leaves the car)

I've been using Apple Card on the 11 for a while. The SE is signed in to the same Apple ID, but I've never attempted to open Apple Card on it.(for fear that it would mess something up) If I do open up Apple Pay on the SE, will I be able to use it to pay for stuff at the stores?

Thanks!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

yippee cahier posted:

apple’s online store isn’t difficult to order from. they probably wanted amazon’s content because it’s exclusive and didn’t want prime subscribers to start getting looking into getting a firetv box whereas spotify just licenses the same music as everyone else so who cares

i certainly dont want to live in a world where i have to choose between prime originals or apple originals

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lysidas posted:

if two iPhones are signed in to the same Apple ID, can both use Apple Card at the stores?

I have two iPhones. The 11 is my 2n daily driver phone. The SE(original 4-inch) resides in the armrest of my car permanently because my car only has CarPlay and no Android Auto for my primary driver Pixel 4 phone... I use the SE and CarPlay for navigation and music only and it never leaves the car)

I've been using Apple Card on the 11 for a while. The SE is signed in to the same Apple ID, but I've never attempted to open Apple Card on it.(for fear that it would mess something up) If I do open up Apple Pay on the SE, will I be able to use it to pay for stuff at the stores?

Thanks!

two daily drivers and one passenger phone

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

but did you pull the trigger on all three?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how in the hell did you make a good post?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

President Beep posted:

android’s advantage is anime roms
android hearthstone players have a significant competitive advantage over iOS players. android players can use deck tracking apps to keep track of what cards they've played, their opponent has played, what sorts of cards are in their opponents hand, etc while iOS users can't because the apps work by reading hearthstone's memory and iOS doesn't allow that for security reasons.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Lysidas posted:

Thanks!

should just use the cash you have from selling drugs if you have three phones

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gobbeldygook posted:

while iOS users can't because the apps work by reading hearthstone's memory and iOS doesn't allow that for security reasons.
good

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
why are you using your phone to play games?

Its for reading poo poo while pooping

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

android hearthstone players have a significant competitive advantage over iOS players. android players can use deck tracking apps to keep track of what cards they've played, their opponent has played, what sorts of cards are in their opponents hand, etc while iOS users can't because the apps work by reading hearthstone's memory and iOS doesn't allow that for security reasons.

omfg you fuckign nerd

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

apple's draconian app store policies won't let me cheat at cards :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

apple's draconian app store policies won't let me cheat at cards :cry:

yep sounds like the usual shady android poo poo