Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Xander77 posted:

Ahaha, steam thread posters.

zigmidge? is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Xander77 posted:

Its just a recap of what was on the steam frontpage a day ago

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Why was a single person excited for Prey 2? The first game was fine but it wasn't amazing or anything.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

StrixNebulosa posted:

It reads a lot like he decided not to like it from the start and that only got more sour as it went on. Eesh.

Yeah seems like he was soured from the beginning just because it wasn't Prey 2.

Also lol at his evidence against the "play it your way" motto being that he restarted his game because of his own lack of commitment to playing it his own way

Mr E posted:

Why was a single person excited for Prey 2? The first game was fine but it wasn't amazing or anything.

I'm assuming Jim Sterling was the single person in question

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mr E posted:

You figure someone with a Samus Avatar would understand our grave lack of alien bounty hunting video games, but alas.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Who cares? The guy is a moron who decides which games will be good and which will be bad before he even plays them. His review praising Horizon for having things and then panning Breath of the Wild for having the same things proves that. He reviews good games poorly to rile people up.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mr E posted:

as far as i can tell it's got almost a star citizen style hype thing going on where since the project died behind closed doors, all the wildest dreams and fantasies about how perfect and incredible prey 2 the procgen, open world, bounty hunting simulation were never proven to be completely out of touch with reality and therefore must be true, and had it been released would've better than any of the procgen, open world, bounty hunting simulation games we've ended up with in the 10 or so years since

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

Who cares? The guy is a moron who decides which games will be good and which will be bad before he even plays them. His review praising Horizon for having things and then panning Breath of the Wild for having the same things proves that. He reviews good games poorly to rile people up.

My favourite thing about Jim Sterling is his weird fascist cosplay and the fact that people are like "naw man he doesn't do that anymore" but then you click on a recent video of his and he's actually still doing it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

You figure someone with a Samus Avatar would understand our grave lack of alien bounty hunting video games, but alas.

I wouldn't call Metroid games bounty hunting games even though you are, indeed, a bounty hunter in them :v:.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It reads a lot like he decided not to like it from the start and that only got more sour as it went on. Eesh.

His comment on the enemies not being threatening, but at the same time complaining that they are so difficult to kill makes no sense.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mr E posted:

I wouldn't call Metroid games bounty hunting games even though you are, indeed, a bounty hunter in them :v:.

I remember hearing that Retro had this idea for a game where Samus actually travelled the galaxy doing actual bounty hunting and when they pitched it to Sakamoto his response was essentially "oh my god that's horrible, she would never do such awful things"

I'm guessing he saw Boba Fett and thought it meant "cool person in cool armour"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think people otf are way crazier about Prey than the public at large, tbqh. Sterling also uses the full 1 -> 10 scale instead of "anything below a 7 is horrible" IGN weighting so he just thinks it's average. Who cares!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought Conan Exiles was just that survival game where you can play as naked people. Is it actually good?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

My favourite thing about Jim Sterling is his weird fascist cosplay and the fact that people are like "naw man he doesn't do that anymore" but then you click on a recent video of his and he's actually still doing it.

It's certainly still similar and he would have been better off changing or adding more than he did but he's going for a more twisted theme park motif now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kibayasu posted:

It's certainly still similar and he would have been better off changing or adding more than he did but he's going for a more twisted theme park motif now.

I think he's part of some kind of semi-pro wrestling(?) circuit now and has various costumes/personas for that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I tend to agree with his industry positions so I wish his presentation wasn't so utterly insufferable.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i liked the gay dictator look he was doing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

as far as i can tell it's got almost a star citizen style hype thing going on where since the project died behind closed doors, all the wildest dreams and fantasies about how perfect and incredible prey 2 the procgen, open world, bounty hunting simulation were never proven to be completely out of touch with reality and therefore must be true, and had it been released would've better than any of the procgen, open world, bounty hunting simulation games we've ended up with in the 10 or so years since

actually now that i'm thinking about this it's left me wondering if my friend who fits more or less into this category and refused to buy prey 2016 based on it might be a big jim sterling fan and just was parroting him

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I respect Sterling and agree with him with a lot of stuff. That said I hear a lot of complaints and just think "dude it's video games and they're a business. Of course they aren't going to give a gently caress."

He also has a thing about ridiculing " hardcore games for getting mad at game being dumbed down for the mass market" and doesn't see how his viewpoint contradicts things like his hate for wide openworld games with little content.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I remember hearing that Retro had this idea for a game where Samus actually travelled the galaxy doing actual bounty hunting and when they pitched it to Sakamoto his response was essentially "oh my god that's horrible, she would never do such awful things"

Sakamoto is a loving dunce and I'm glad Nintendo locked him in a closet after Other M.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh cool the humble monthly "trove" has sexy brutale in it so i can play that too for the cost of hat in time

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Sakamoto is a loving dunce and I'm glad Nintendo locked him in a closet after Other M.

He returned for Samus Returns on 3DS though?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sterling is a loving fat idiot who's been garbage his whole career and it always makes me sad when posters I like are fans of his.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

drat.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So how is Conan Exiles? For some reason I thought it was an MMO but I guess it's a survival game?

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

So how is Conan Exiles? For some reason I thought it was an MMO but I guess it's a survival game?

its like Rust iirc. persistent servers and such.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
should i buy prey or play system shock 2, which i already have?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/07/06/biggest-games-on-steam-2018/

I'm bummed that Civ IV is doing so well when it's reportedly still a terrible game, I'm super bummed that the game made by gamergaters (Kingdom Come) is doing well, and I'm glad Warframe is doing well.

I do not understand why Slay the Spire is not at the top of the list, tho, that's like the most addictive game I've ever plated.

Civ VI is fun and Kingdom Come is a great if buggy game in a popular genre. The director's a bit of a poo poo, but it's a game that now lets you turn off things like the compass and your position on the map and turn on sleepwalker mode, meaning every time you sleep you now turn up somewhere random.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

succ posted:

Ideally, both. But go with what you have first.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Samus Aran, intergalactic bail bondswoman

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

succ posted:

System Shock 2 is incredible and fun, so start there!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

succ posted:

If you've never played SS2, play it. Then if you enjoyed it (or would enjoy it if it wasn't so archaic and clunky), buy Prey.

If playing SS2 would be a replay, skip the first step and just buy Prey.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

succ posted:

the game mechanics in system shock 2 have aged like a gallon of milk, purchased in the year system shock 2 was released. if that's not a dealbreaker for you, then go for it. if it is, you'll want to get prey.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Xander77 posted:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

succ posted:

System Shock 2.

While Prey is a great game, a good part of what makes it stand out is that they don't really make these types of games anymore. Sinilar to how say Pillars of Eternity initially bgot a very warm reception, but it has since cooled since traditional styled WRPGs have become more common.

In contrast, System Shock 2 is one of the greatest games of all-time and has aged very well to boot. You will definitely understand why so many people have a beef with the Bioshock series.

If you enjoy System Shock 2 and want more, buy Prey as it is essentially System Shock 3.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cowcaster posted:

read the first two sentences which revealed he's one of those petulant gamers pissed off they never got prey 2 that never went beyond tech demo stage and holds it against this game and that's all i need to know
lmfao hahahaha. those people are loving broke in the brain

load them all into a cannon and shoot them into space

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Actually, I'd say play Systen Shock 1 Enhanced Edition first, it's a fun environment to explore and it'll get you into the mood for SS2.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Actually, I'd say play Systen Shock 1 Enhanced Edition first, it's a fun environment to explore and it'll get you into the mood for SS2.
I'd say wait until the System Shock 1 remake comes out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I'd say wait until the System Shock 1 remake comes out.

Isn't it not happening?

Also the remake's demo was nowhere near as pretty as the original.

e: As in it felt like a very generic space station area to me. Like, c'mon, the original legit looks good despite its age.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Actually you really ought to play Catacomb Abyss first, as a historical warm-up to FPS games.