Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Booky posted:

I'd guess you'd have to manually reupload them to the new host and then turn off downloading? How long is this OST, though?

Three full games of 4 disks a pop. Conservative estimates would put it almost 200 individual tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Artix posted:

Three full games of 4 disks a pop. Conservative estimates would put it almost 200 individual tracks.

Oh, yikes! :gonk: Maybe ask baldurk about those tracks if it takes too long to reupload manually?

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I'm downloading the files straight from the tindeck streaming URL, since the browser needs to be able to get the file somehow and it's not really obfuscated in their html. It seems to work fine for now - I tested on one of yours that didn't allow downloading and it's worked OK.

Normally I wouldn't do that since it's a bit naughty and it's likely to get someone at the site mad.... but they're shutting down and deleting all their poo poo, so gently caress 'em. What are they going to do to me. Block my IPs from their non-existent site?

---

I also did a quick test and it was easier to implement than I thought, so I've enabled uploading mp3s through lpix. See here as an example: http://lpix.org/2541457/Maid%20with%20the%20Flaxen%20Hair.mp3

I just enabled it for all registered accounts. If you need to have your upload limit bumped above 2MB for this then let me know, I don't mind doing so on a case-by-case basis, but some people eat enough disk space just with images so I don't want it to get excessive.

Don't make me regret this. If it starts gobbling up disk space, I'll remove it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

baldurk posted:

EDIT: scratch that, holy crap there are a lot of duplicated links for some reason (I'm not sure why, but I just happened to notice the same URL a few times).

Maybe when the same music shows up multiple times in a game? The link for Madain Sari must have been posted half a dozen times in the current FF9 Lp.

Also, thank you for taking all this effort.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

baldurk posted:

I'm downloading the files straight from the tindeck streaming URL, since the browser needs to be able to get the file somehow and it's not really obfuscated in their html. It seems to work fine for now - I tested on one of yours that didn't allow downloading and it's worked OK.

Normally I wouldn't do that since it's a bit naughty and it's likely to get someone at the site mad.... but they're shutting down and deleting all their poo poo, so gently caress 'em. What are they going to do to me. Block my IPs from their non-existent site?

---

I also did a quick test and it was easier to implement than I thought, so I've enabled uploading mp3s through lpix. See here as an example: http://lpix.org/2541457/Maid%20with%20the%20Flaxen%20Hair.mp3

I just enabled it for all registered accounts. If you need to have your upload limit bumped above 2MB for this then let me know, I don't mind doing so on a case-by-case basis, but some people eat enough disk space just with images so I don't want it to get excessive.

Don't make me regret this. If it starts gobbling up disk space, I'll remove it.

If you can't go above 2 MB, this may not be a good idea. I checked the files in my soundtrack folder for one of the games I'm doing, and several of them are above 2 MB, going up to about 10 MB. And those are just chiptunes. I don't know how much file space other musical formats would take up.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This would be perfect for the few unused voice clips I posted thoughout Vesperia, but for some reason it claims that most of the files are "not an image or MP3 file". What is it detecting?

Example file that doesn't work: http://tindeck.com/listen/rpxnw

e: Is it because they don't have ID3 tags?
e2: Yeah that seems to be it.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 18, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah I don't think that's going to work well. I don't think I could upload a single one of my upcoming songs outside of a 30-second or so fanfare and come in under 2 MB.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Fixed the thing with mp3s sans ID3 tags. Apparently the filetype identification returns drastically different results and I guess all my test mp3s had ID3 tags.

Like I said, if you need more than 2MB then PM or email me and I can bump it up to 10MB or so. I just don't want to do that across the board because then someone will start uploading 1920x1080 pngs of their call of duty roleplaying SSLP. If that doesn't suit, then fine, but it doesn't hurt to have options.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Since Baldurk is doing great stuff again always and should be paid... I noticed awhile ago that even though I disabled adblock completely, its not letting me see ads on the archive.

If anyone knows how to fix that, I'll gladly let project wonderful give him money.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It looks like Tindeck fixed its issues, so it's usable for a bit longer. But I really doubt that's the last time it'll get screwed up. Site might be on its death throes.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

baldurk, did you think through the copyright implications if you let people just upload mp3's to your site? If you start getting spammed with DMCA notices, disk space might be the least of your worries.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Explosionface posted:

You're a saint and everyone owes you drinks.

:stare: Yeah, can someone just start a tip jar for the guy or something?

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

baldurk, did you think through the copyright implications if you let people just upload mp3's to your site? If you start getting spammed with DMCA notices, disk space might be the least of your worries.

Yeh I'll just have to wait and see. I've not had any notices from the archive, lpix and baldurdash before so I'll just play it by ear. If I get a notice, I can just take down the file and disable audio uploads again easily enough.

I've got all the tindeck files downloaded now. If it's not immediately dying I'll just leave them around, if/when it goes pop I can worry about putting those files up on the archive and replacing links.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Baldurk how can you afford this poo poo!?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You're the loving best as always, baldurk.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, you're really doing great work there. Anyone give you a high-five yet or something?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Everyone give Baldurk a million high fives. Not all at once though.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Baldurk, you're the best, holy poo poo

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

this is a good tribute.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So I redid my VR intro segment by taking out the facecam and doing the microphone in Audacity with background noise reduction rather than just throwing it in the base video like a scrub. It seems okay now, but I'd like a double check before I throw up a VR thread.

There's a few small things I already edited out that aren't in this video, but I'm mostly looking for if the audio sounds good and if the camera is too shakey since I was talking with my hands more than I thought (Have to avoid doing that in the future)

I know that the video is letterboxed, I tried to edit it out but the software I use (Windows Movie Maker) just doesn't allow me to, plus a square video would still be letterboxed on Youtube. It's kind of a crapshoot whether the games record correctly or not for all this VR stuff, I may need to figure out a change in the future.

Also,

E. Didn't hear anything back so I'll assume it is passable, thread is live here.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 20, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Double posting to show difference between questions, do people usually keep their raws for a good amount of time or just the processed videos? I would love to keep everything I record but at 100-odd gigs of FRAPS raws for an hour of game play that is quickly overwhelming even my terabyte external drives.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Double posting to show difference between questions, do people usually keep their raws for a good amount of time or just the processed videos? I would love to keep everything I record but at 100-odd gigs of FRAPS raws for an hour of game play that is quickly overwhelming even my terabyte external drives.

As a general rule of thumb, I tend to keep all my raw footage until the LP is finished just in case I need to use it for anything. Once I'm sure I don't need it any more, then I delete it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

There's a plugin for AviSynth that'll allow you to use MP4. Get that, record with OBS and never look back.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I keep my raws for a couple days after the final videos go up. If no one says anything or complains, I delete em and back up the final video in case I need to reupload or something.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It depends. For smaller projects or projects recorded with H264 via either a capture card or shadowplay, I keep the raws until I'm done. For a Lagarith project, I'll keep the raws as long as I can before dumping them.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

nine-gear crow posted:

As a general rule of thumb, I tend to keep all my raw footage until the LP is finished just in case I need to use it for anything. Once I'm sure I don't need it any more, then I delete it.

This is what I'm doing because I have had someone point out a problem further down the line in an LP and I then didn't have the footage to fix it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for the responses, I see I'm not the only hoarder. Since I am doing multiple things now I might just save the raws for a few episodes and rotate them out afterwards.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I deleted the raws for my first 20-some episodes due to space restrictions, but then I decided to use Amazon Glacier. Now when I'm done with an episode I 7zip the whole premiere project, assets, and raws (which is usually a pretty staggeringly good compression ratio) and send it to a glacier vault after a couple days. Glacier is almost perfect for this because it costs effectively nothing to upload (I mean I uploaded perhaps a terabyte one month and paid like a buck fifty), and nothing per month in storage. The caveat is it costs a bit more to retrieve, but it's not ridiculous or anything, we're still talking cents or fractions of cents per gigabyte. It's perfect for stashing away raws you don't intend to grab except on very rare special occasions.

E: Obviously don't do this if your internet has upload bandwidth caps.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't have the space to keep the raw's on hand for more than 3 updates back. I hold onto those until the next update, when I'm sure (read: I hope) that there are no problems with my uploaded and encoded videos, then I delete anything older than 3 updates back. Particularly large updates can reduce me to holding only one update back.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I delete most things almost immediately. Sometimes my files don't even make it to editing or online before getting deleted. As a result, there have been a number of LPS that I've done that have never been viewed by another person.

So it goes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Blind Sally posted:

As a result, there have been a number of LPS that I've done that have never been viewed by another person.

So it goes.
When the count is none, you shall achieve LP enlightenment.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Be like me and do something at the end of all your LP's that requires the source footage from every episode. Then you have a reason to not get rid of them besides just in case anything goes wrong! :shepface:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I've decided to do something that seems a little more on my level than the 5-game subtitled VLP I had originally planned for my first non-casual thread LP,... and it will still involve recording somewhere in the ballpark of 7-10 hours of footage, frankensteining it all together into semi-coherent episodes, finding a goon to drag through said episodes with me, and being completely unable to delete any of the raw footage just in case I need it for any future uploads.

There goes all the free space on one of my external drives.:shepicide:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
I typically delete my raws when I begin the recording session for the next update. So the amount of time my raws survives varies between a couple of days and ... well.. 3 months. :v:
By the time I'm doing the next update I'll just assume there are no complaints. Even if there were, I'd possibly be too lazy to fix it, unless it was some serious fault.

LogicalFallacy posted:

I've decided to do something that seems a little more on my level than the 5-game subtitled VLP I had originally planned for my first non-casual thread LP,... and it will still involve recording somewhere in the ballpark of 7-10 hours of footage, frankensteining it all together into semi-coherent episodes, finding a goon to drag through said episodes with me, and being completely unable to delete any of the raw footage just in case I need it for any future uploads.

There goes all the free space on one of my external drives.:shepicide:

Fair warning. Don't get shibbotech. That guy dragged me into the Valhalla LP and I haven't forgiven him since. :argh:

All jokes aside if you haven't already, then I'd suggest posting in the Co-commentation Station thread.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Sazero posted:

I typically delete my raws when I begin the recording session for the next update. So the amount of time my raws survives varies between a couple of days and ... well.. 3 months. :v:
By the time I'm doing the next update I'll just assume there are no complaints. Even if there were, I'd possibly be too lazy to fix it, unless it was some serious fault.

Fair warning. Don't get shibbotech. That guy dragged me into the Valhalla LP and I haven't forgiven him since. :argh:

All jokes aside if you haven't already, then I'd suggest posting in the Co-commentation Station thread.
Yeah. I'll be throwing a post up there once I've got most of all of the footage recorded. I'm playing through the game normally right now to make sure it actually works first. I'm emulating an already buggy as hell PS2 game, so it's been rather interesting thus far.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Okay some quick questions about a thing I am gonna do, but I am considering whether to make a thread for it in here.

1) I recently started (as in, within the last 24 hours) playing and streaming Flower, Sun and Rain. I played about 10 minutes of it when I realised it would be a cool game to stream, and then I streamed about 2 hours of it, which is barely anything when I realised this would probably be an even better LP rather than just a stream. My understanding is that my progress is almost nothing so far into the game, I basically just finished the tutorial. I intend to play this game with people watching me figure out the puzzles, and maybe even with us working together to solve them if they prove to challenging for my dumb broken brain. The last LP from this game was from 2009, which was a SSLP, and it largely showed the game as is, just playing through it and explaining the solution to each puzzle. I want to do something different - I want to show viewers the process of coming to the solution for those puzzles.

If I turn those 2 hours into 2 videos, would I be allowed to make a thread and start from that point? Or does that break the rule of "make the LP for the thread, not the thread for the LP" thing? It doesn't seem like a YT dump to me, and I intend to do this as a community thing, and this place has a community which might be interested in group playing a puzzle game. Is that cool with you guys?

2) Obviously if I am live solving it with people, there is the question of how those people are helping me. I intend to stream the game live with people in a chatroom with me, and then upload the archives. So, it is a half live LP - the episodes are recorded in a live studio environment, and archived in a thread. Is that allowed?

e; I am going to be going for game completion in it too, so all of the puzzles. This will mean if I accidentally miss something when live, I will be uploading additional short episodes showing off what I missed.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Another Person posted:

Okay some quick questions about a thing I am gonna do...

1) Nah, you're fine. That's a general guideline to prevent obvious YouTube dumps. They're pretty obvious when they happen. Lots of posters have turned streams into proper LPs here because, as you say, it's done as a community thing. Go for it.

2) Also fine. I've been part of live streams that were later posted in threads.

You're totally fine. Go for it!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
My entire last finished "LP" was streamed and I didn't actually play the game either we just talked over the AI playing.
And while it wasn't streamed, I did something similar to what you intend with my last actual LP, where I had several episodes up already before the thread on SA started (there was one elsewhere, in a place without the then still active 3 month rule)

So you should be fine. As long as you're not dumping a completed LP in a thread it's all right. Goons have largely loosened up when it comes to LPs. As long as it's not offensively bad people wont boo you out of the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

After a long complex technical process of smacking my computer box with an animal femur while hooting in a threatening way, I think the okay videos might be ready to come out?? maybe???

Valkyria Chronicles yet again

• Locked thread