Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Pretty impressive shooting from the Wolverine; shame none of those crits confirmed.

Also, the Huron Warrior is not in a good place right now. :ohdear:

The Huron is fine, all he needs to do is put a bit of distance between him and the cronus, maybe get on top of the tank and finish the rifleman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Too bad he fell down. I think my foot would have hurt him worse than the fall, especially with that open center torso.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Pretty impressive shooting from the Wolverine; shame none of those crits confirmed.

Also, the Huron Warrior is not in a good place right now. :ohdear:

Yeah, I'm aware that up to this point I've been going about the whole "huron warrior" thing pretty badly. I wanted to take the attempt at the justice foot, especially with Darth making an attempt as well, because double justice foot action would have been worth everything. I'm content with a solid CT hit, and now I'm going to return to playing like I ought to have been from the start.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Not a bad turn overall! I don't think the situation is that dire for the Huron Warrior - at least for this turn. The Rommel doesn't actually frighten me as much as a Patton would on this map. While the 3/6/9 bubble of death is usually pretty scary the to hit malus on this map makes it much harder to use effectively while the 5/10/15 of the Patton would have much better odds of actually hitting things.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Olothreutes posted:

Yeah, I'm aware that up to this point I've been going about the whole "huron warrior" thing pretty badly. I wanted to take the attempt at the justice foot, especially with Darth making an attempt as well, because double justice foot action would have been worth everything. I'm content with a solid CT hit, and now I'm going to return to playing like I ought to have been from the start.

The Huron and the Wolverine could actually go for a breakthrough right now and link up with the Enfield and Griffin, so it isn't that bad. You could easily run forward five and turn - though you should double-check on how PTN is adjudicating shooting arcs because I've forgotten how he handles them, and that move would put you on the line between the Patton shooting at your side or your rear. The tank wouldn't have good shots though, and while the RFL can flip arms its shots would only be okay, too. It's one turn of a decent bit of risk, and then the map does open up a bit to the south so it might be advantageous - and the only thing with the speed to catch you easily is the Cronus.

It's an option worth thinking about, for sure.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I thought it was strange the primary gun didn't open fire!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Olothreutes posted:

Yeah, I'm aware that up to this point I've been going about the whole "huron warrior" thing pretty badly.

You're doing just fine. You shot the right target to avoid a minimum range penalty, had a good chance of doing ten damage (the same as an Atlas's punch) to an enemy `Mech's cockpit and in general you've been harder for me to shoot then I've been for you to shoot.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 30, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, I didn't mean that as a knock on your playing, you've been doing fine so far. :shobon:

I'm just worried because a dude just jumped behind you and now has good shots on your back armor. Thankfully that shouldn't be too much of a problem since you automatically win initiative and can move away, it just made me a bit uneasy is all.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

No worries. I was mostly referencing the fact that as the guy with the some of the longest range guns on the map I've been awfully close to people. Maybe not ideal, but it hasn't worked out too poorly yet.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

No worries. I was mostly referencing the fact that as the guy with the some of the longest range guns on the map I've been awfully close to people. Maybe not ideal, but it hasn't worked out too poorly yet.

It's a fairly narrow map and you started out boxed in, so you don't really have anything to be ashamed about so far as being at close range. Spacing ain't easy.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Should we be assuming that 'mechs with canon designations (eg CDA-3F) have canon stats (ie, do the Taurians have XL, endo, ferro, DHS and ER PPC)? I've been assuming "PPC" in weapons loadout was standard but maybe I shouldn't.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Carbolic posted:

Should we be assuming that 'mechs with canon designations (eg CDA-3F) have canon stats

Yes.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Survive little Riflemech, survive, you're too beautiful, too purpose-built, to die...

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 31, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a slow heavy with less armor than nearly every medium `Mech on the field. "Purpose-built to die" is about right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Rifleman is a great mech to shoot at things that can't shoot back. Preferably while waist-deep in icewater.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
While I have a bizarre and abiding love for the Space Texans, for no good reason, I still hope that someone on the Goon force gets a turret kick in on one of those vehicles and/or uses one as a club for sheer :black101:.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
It ate three crits to the CT and one to the right leg without flinching (falling over isn't)! I interpret that as an omen.
And if anything goes wrong it's Larry Wang's fault.

Actually, the ~RFL-3N~ was my first tabletop mech, but yes... either of them are totally out of sorts on Zero Impact Point, at least the 3C will overheat less and has a bit more protection.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 31, 2013

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Readingaccount posted:

It ate three crits to the CT and one to the right leg without flinching (falling over isn't)! I interpret that as an omen.
And if anything goes wrong it's Larry Wang's fault.

Actually, the ~RFL-3N~ was my first tabletop mech, but yes... either of them are totally out of sorts on Zero Impact Point.

It's going to get shot at by the entire goonlance and they will miss nearly every shot. Then it will try to get up, fail, fall and kill the pilot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can tell if it stood up successfully based on whether or not it moved in the update :ssh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a slow heavy with less armor than nearly every medium `Mech on the field. "Purpose-built to die" is about right.

uh excuse me, it has the unique capability to rotate its arms 180 degrees! This is so completely unheard of even professional badass super MechWarriors cannot counter it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Five crit chances on the Rifleman and not one of them connected? Well, at least he fell down and now has a couple more open sections now for either the Capellans or New Syrtians to exploit... Too bad falling down meant that it wasn't upright for the Wolverine to try and kick for more damage... Still, it looked like it worked out pretty well for the Capellan Goon pair there...

Those flanking maneuvers by the Taurians kinda scare me, though since you guys have the initiative, you can probably get around their attempts to hit you in the back. Still, something to keep in mind, especially for the New Syrtian duo there.

Speaking of them, are the last names of the two New Syrtian pilots at Impact Point Zero a reference to Sgt Kurtz Weber and SgtMaj Melissa Mao of the Mithril Tuatha De Dannan Uruz Special Response Team from the light novel series (and later anime) Full Metal Panic or is it just a coincidence? They have the same ranks and last names as the characters referenced, but in the series, Mao is the one who drives the Arm Slave (small mech equivalent, more like a large powered suit of armor, but close enough) that has ECM, and Weber is a dedicated sniper. Dunno, the names just leaped out at me.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 2, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

Speaking of them, are the last names of the two New Syrtian pilots at Impact Point Zero a reference to Sgt Weber and SgtMaj Mao of the Mithril Tuatha de Dannan Uruz Team [...] or is it just a coincidence?

Weber's in a Griffin (a sniper) and Mao is in an Enfield (an all-rounder). I am (not) ashamed to be a nerd, so I make references here and there. They're not the only reference I've made.

The Rommel is a reference to Haunted Tank.

And most of the Taurian `Mechs are WWII bombers.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 2, 2013

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Weber's in a Griffin (a sniper) and Mao is in an Enfield (an all-rounder with ECM). I am (not) ashamed to be a nerd, so I make references here and there. They're not the only reference I've made.

Huh, I knew I was on to something there! The ER PPC on the Griffin would definitely make it a sniper, but the presence of the Guardian ECM suite threw me off, as well as Mao mentioning Weber's ECM during the first fluff update. I didn't know Mao's mech had ECM either, since there's no note of it on the mech status listing.

Also, Weber joking around and using grave humor at inappropriate times is fitting for his character as well. I look forward to attempting to ferret out more of your references in future characters!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 2, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

Weber's in a Griffin (a sniper) and Mao is in an Enfield (an all-rounder). I am (not) ashamed to be a nerd, so I make references here and there. They're not the only reference I've made.

The Rommel is a reference to Haunted Tank.

And most of the Taurian `Mechs are WWII bombers.

The Haunted Tank is arguably the best thing comics ever gave us after Devil Dinosaur.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
To begin with Zero Impact Point looked like the harder map, but last round it began to seem more like Yantai Reservation is the nastier one, given the Taurian choices of deployment there.
And yeah, the Rifleman taking four crits was lucky, but just a silver lining for the Taurians, considering a bit over fifty percent of the damage (including the fall) has gone straight to the CT.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 2, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Rules on Page 1 have been updated!

These changes will take effect after the current battle! Most changes are minor, however the 72 hour rule has been replaced with:

Order Deadlines:
Formerly the 72 hour rule. My schedule is fairly stable, but there are some days I absolutely can't update. Order deadlines are Saturday Night (this is a hard deadline, if I don't update Sunday you won't get an update for two days) and Tuesday Night (this is a softer deadline, I can be a little more lenient with it). If the players either individually or as a group need more time, I'm more then willing to accommodate if they let me know in advance. If orders aren't received in a timely fashion then your `Mech may not move. If orders aren't received at all then an Alternate may be called in to take over your unit. Thanks to everyone who helps me keep this thread updating regularly!

Leniency Period:
Many of my players will be new, so the Order Deadlines will be more lenient while they get a feel for the game. Late orders won't be held against them during this period. The leniency period ends after Turn 5.

Also of note, I updated the general guidelines of "fluffy" play I will be following for each nation. There's more to it then what's listed, but these are the most easily exploited aspects:

Exploitable Behaviors of the Current Alternate Universe Nations:
The Clans - Prefer single combat, but do not respond to challenge requests. It is a Clan Warrior's responsibility to kill either the first target he shoots at; or the first target who shoots at him.
Clan Steel Viper / Task Force Serpent - Respond to challenges from the Lyran Commonwealth, but only for physical combat duels.
Clan Widowmaker - Feuding with Clan Goliath Scorpion, ignores Zellbrigen when fighting Clan Goliath Scorpion.
Clan Goliath Scorpion - Ignores Zellbrigen when fighting Inner Sphere forces or Clan Widowmaker. Prefers to disable Inner Sphere `Mechs instead of killing the Mechwarrior. Prefers to kill Widowmaker Mechwarriors rather than disabling their `Mechs.
Clan Hell's Horses - Ignores Zellbrigen when fighting Inner Sphere forces.
Draconis Suns - May or may not accept a duel request; they favor single combat and typically won't intervene to aid a friendly Mechwarrior unless that Mechwarrior is very likely to be killed in that turn.
Free Worlds League - The Free Worlds League has a very weird sense of 'fair play.' They view Mechwarriors as minor nobility, and so will typically give opponents a chance to stand back up if they fall; or will allow them a moment's rest if requested. They will allow injured Mechwarriors to leave the field under their own power, if so requested.
Lyran Commonwealth - Tend to respond to physical combat duels with Clan Steel Viper; prone to retreating when the apparent odds turn against them.
Capellan Confederation - Prefer to attack weak or already damaged targets first.
Duchy of New Syrtis - View Capellan nationals as racially inferior, tend to underestimate enemy pilots or blunder into ambushes.
Republic of Skye - Under orders to take no unnecessary risks, follow the Forced Withdrawal rules.
New Rim Worlds Republic - ???
ComStar - ???
Deep Periphery Nations - None
Pirates - Are cowards, and will tend to run if they don't have a numbers or weight advantage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Exploitable Behaviors of the Current Alternate Universe Nations:
Capellan Confederation - Prefer to attack weak or already damaged targets first.

Ah, Capellans. Focus fire first, pretend to ask for justifications later.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

To be fair, pretty much every player team has fought Capellan style.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

jng2058 posted:

To be fair, pretty much every player team has fought Capellan style.

Probably because it's beyond a doubt the most effective way to play, unless you are facing several enemies who are all heavily damaged (because then you risk wasting a bunch of damage when the first Gauss slug downs a target).

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The N-Squared Law is lostech.

Except in the Grey Death Legion.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Defiance Industries posted:

Probably because it's beyond a doubt the most effective way to play, unless you are facing several enemies who are all heavily damaged (because then you risk wasting a bunch of damage when the first Gauss slug downs a target).

It is such a bittersweet moment when you catch a near pristine foe in the open with no move mod, focus an entire company worth of fire on him, and the very first shot from your Barghest blows off his head.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Only what you deserve for using a Quad.

e:

GhostStalker posted:

Also, Weber joking around and using grave humor at inappropriate times is fitting for his character as well. I look forward to attempting to ferret out more of your references in future characters!

And the hovertanks are the Suicide Squad, which is an appropriate touch, all things considered.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 2, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

The Merry Marauder posted:

The Barghest isn't a quad. It is something better. Something wonderful.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

See also: The Revenant :swoon:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

The Merry Marauder posted:

e:

And the hovertanks are the Suicide Squad, which is an appropriate touch, all things considered.

Although to be fair, Rick Flag was never nearly as awesome as his boss was. You don't gently caress with The Wall. Ever.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I'm sorry, did I hear someone knocking Quads?

If you think quads are bad... gentlemen. I bring you the LATEST in CUTTING EDGE Clan technology.

The QuadVee!

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
If you meant to post a image its not coming through.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Shoeless posted:

I'm sorry, did I hear someone knocking Quads?

If you think quads are bad... gentlemen. I bring you the LATEST in CUTTING EDGE Clan technology.

The QuadVee!

The protoquad. Helps fighting the shortage in fusion power plants by using a costlier in labour and resources fusion power plant that is less protected. Also has a bullshit nahnahnahnah-you-just-missed-me rule attached and a horribly costly and finicky control interface.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Lyrans get both the Blitzkrieg-4F and the Barghest-4X. It's a combination that threateningly erotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I mean, sure, if an IS Pack Hunter and a hideously expensive pile of Level 3 Tech get you off, go nuts!

Fraction Jackson posted:

Although to be fair, Rick Flag was never nearly as awesome as his boss was. You don't gently caress with The Wall. Ever.

She's the best.

• Locked thread