Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Broly spoiler: When did Goku learn to hold someone in place with ki? Is that a SSG thing, did he learn it from Hit, or did they just make it up for the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Same time he learned to read minds. Vegeta also fired those bursts of air while in God form so I think they just kinda made some stuff up because it looked cool.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
They were cool moments and I hope we got more weird uses for ki.

Give Tien God Ki

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
DBS Broly basically set up two or three new movesets for each character in fighting games and that was cool as hell.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

In a very specifically worded non-denial.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Broly spoiler: When did Goku learn to hold someone in place with ki? Is that a SSG thing, did he learn it from Hit, or did they just make it up for the movie?

he probably saw Frieza do it at the ToP and was like "cool"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Out-of-series explanation: Director Nagamine wanted to show his own interpretation of the God forms. Previously, they were just "punch harder" and "punch even harder" as Super Saiyan forms tend to be, but Nagamine's interpretation was more interesting

V-Jump interview with Nagamine posted:

Beyond that, I personally wanted to make Super Saiyan Blue look crazy strong, and to clearly show the gap between it and Super Saiyan God. The two of them have rather different fighting styles: God relies on predicting and dodging the opponent’s movements, plus godly techniques rather than power. Then Blue puts all the emphasis on bulldozing the opponent with brute force.

The God Bind (is there any point in spoiler-tagging this? It appears in the trailers) is a show of said godly techniques, that aren't based on power, and a really cool one at that.

So when he learned it...likely when he managed to get a good grasp on god Ki, but never used it until now because we didn't have Nagamine overseeing things.

Man, can I just point out what a dream team Broly was? Toriyama doesn't need an introduction, but then we have Nagamine directing, an excellent voice cast no matter what language we're talking about, pretty much every amazing animator Toei could get to (Shida, Takahashi, Tate, hell, even Yoshihiro Umakoshi from Precure/MHA fame!) who brought the new, beautiful designs by Shintani (who also served as animation director, not just character designer!), all under Sumitomo's excellent soundtrack that even paid tribute to us, the Latin American fanbase.

It's the kind of thing that gets me very waku waku and incredibly doki doki.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Pretty bummed out we didn’t get to see Broly being friends with his grass dinosaur buddy again at the end of the movie.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for everyone still covering spoilers of broly, only 3 more days until I can see it!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

bowmore posted:

Thanks for everyone still covering spoilers of broly, only 3 more days until I can see it!

Broly kills Dumbledore.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

bowmore posted:

Here's a spoiler for you: The movie is very good and you will have a good time watching it!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
HOLY gently caress THAT MOVIE WAS AMAZING.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
When Super returns I hope it just says Broly happened, it was awesome. Then I assume we will move onto the Moro arc.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I can't believe the Turles scene was so long

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I can't believe the Turles scene was so long

Yeah but its nice to bring him into the canon. I can't believe he's going to marry Bulma's sister, though. That could be trouble!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My favorite part was when Launch took down Broly in a drive-by.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ultra Instinct Raditz was a hell of a thing though.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

AAAAAAA AAAAAAA

BROLY

gently caress

poo poo

GOOD MOVIE

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Junpei Hyde posted:

AAAAAAA AAAAAAA

BROLY

gently caress

poo poo

GOOD MOVIE

Can we change the thread title to some variation of this

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

MonsterEnvy posted:

When Super returns I hope it just says Broly happened, it was awesome. Then I assume we will move onto the Moro arc.

You know in your heart they're just gonna give Broly the Super (AKA badly-animated) treatment before moving on to the new stuff.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Gonna ping wark say brb

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dragon Ball Z Thread: GO BROLY GO GO!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Congratulations to Cheelai and her gigantic gentle idiot husband

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, that was just an incredibly good piece of Dragon Ball animation

Whis really came off as downright sinister at the end there, that smirk of his face as Gogeta went for the kill shot was extremely unwholesome. Maybe we will get the Angels in an antagonistic role one day?

Also Cheelai owned, go Cheelai.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

Dragon Ball Z Thread: GO BRORY GO GO!

Or a simple OH EH OH, really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The thread title should ignore Broly and talk up the people’s hero, Bojack.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Commander Red should sue Frieza for real tho

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i looked at my local theater and they're still filling up all the seats for broly

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I looked at my local cinema, and there is exactly one showing: tomorrow, in the early evening. Too early for me to get to from work, even if I hadn't already committed to something else. :(

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

Cheelai, Head Cheelai

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Cheelai, Head Cheelai

Goddamn this is about as perfect as Cell.

But if we're changing the title, can we stop using "Dragon Ball Z"? It's 2019. The Z part may still have some meaning but we're in the Super era. Just Dragon Ball would be completely fine.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I want to see Broly go to school and become best friends with Trunks and Goten!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Dragon Ball Superthread: CHEELAI HEAD CHEELAI

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They'll try to get Broly to participate in the next universal tournament they set up, only for him to fail the written test.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

:sigh:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

multijoe posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Dragon Ball Superthread: CHEELAI HEAD CHEELAI

:perfect:

Rhonne posted:

They'll try to get Broly to participate in the next universal tournament they set up, only for him to fail the written test.

Oh man I really hope we don't get more fake-outs like that. It was bad enough the first time, there was no need for a second, even if it led to Freeza.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Broly has manners, he would totally do better on a written test than Goku did.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Out-of-series explanation: Director Nagamine wanted to show his own interpretation of the God forms. Previously, they were just "punch harder" and "punch even harder" as Super Saiyan forms tend to be, but Nagamine's interpretation was more interesting

The God Bind (is there any point in spoiler-tagging this? It appears in the trailers) is a show of said godly techniques, that aren't based on power, and a really cool one at that.

So when he learned it...likely when he managed to get a good grasp on god Ki, but never used it until now because we didn't have Nagamine overseeing things.

Man, can I just point out what a dream team Broly was? Toriyama doesn't need an introduction, but then we have Nagamine directing, an excellent voice cast no matter what language we're talking about, pretty much every amazing animator Toei could get to (Shida, Takahashi, Tate, hell, even Yoshihiro Umakoshi from Precure/MHA fame!) who brought the new, beautiful designs by Shintani (who also served as animation director, not just character designer!), all under Sumitomo's excellent soundtrack that even paid tribute to us, the Latin American fanbase.

It's the kind of thing that gets me very waku waku and incredibly doki doki.

How’d they pay us tribute?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I actually figured Goku's whole paralysis thing was just him imitating Roshi. Lightning Flash or Thunder Surprise or whatever it was called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

How’d they pay us tribute?

The lyrics on the two VS Broly songs are there specifically for the Latin American fandom, as a response to the crowds that Goku Vs Jiren brought.

HGH posted:

I actually figured Goku's whole paralysis thing was just him imitating Roshi. Lightning Flash or Thunder Surprise or whatever it was called?

Lightning Surprise, I think. And both moves are very different in how they work, Roshi's creates electricity, Goku's seemingly forces his godhood into his target.