Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Pyramid schemes aka Multi level Marketing schemes aka MLMs have been around for at least 50 years. So why the gently caress do I have people blowing up Facebook with this AdvoCare bullshit.

Just exactly how low does ones IQ have to be to fall for them? Are we talking regular old retard >80 or lower like dog level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
what is an mlm

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
IQ has nothing to do with it, "smart" nerds are into bitcoin

humanity is collectively and irrevocably dumber than a bag of hammers

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the average person is dumb as gently caress and 50 percent of people are even dumber than that

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
no time to talk, op, i'm off to a sales party.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Blue Train posted:

the average person is dumb as gently caress and 50 percent of people are even dumber than that

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Mad Archivist posted:

humanity is collectively and irrevocably dumber than a bag of hammers

this basically

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Blue Train posted:

this basically

you said it better. dont devalue ur work friend

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They're stupid and want to make easy money

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

babypolis posted:

:hfive:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

as soon as there is a super intelligent AI it will get my vote to run the world

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

babypolis posted:

it's a george carlin quote

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

for the same exact reason people still join cults, op

the people who run both use the same strategies or slight variations

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
crowdfunding is the new MLM

ask doobie

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

numberoneposter posted:

as soon as there is a super intelligent AI it will get my vote to run the world

it wont need it

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP
Some people like an opportunity where if you work hard you are rewarded op...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Because MLMs literally use the same tactics and mind games on their 'partners' that cults use. I was dragged to a Veema MLM meeting in college one time and holy poo poo I was creeped out beyond belief.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
I went to high school with a guy who got in early with Monavie. Made a ton of money, travelled a bunch, wound up on the Amazing Race. I loving hate that douchebag.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Blue Train posted:

that's the median person not the average person.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

I'm assuming a normal distribution with few outliers (n > 30)

e: this guy gets it vvvvv

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

its a bell curve so the median and average are the same u pedantic gently caress

Thoras Hammer
Oct 15, 2009
Someone on my Facebook posts the "great results" she got with Advocare but the truth is she had bariatric surgery. I want to call her out on it but I don't want to cause a virtual scene.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

is my local area marketing scheme.

These loving things work so well because it grabs lazy teens and stupid soccer moms. Which we have plenty of

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thoras Hammer posted:

Someone on my Facebook posts the "great results" she got with Advocare but the truth is she had bariatric surgery. I want to call her out on it but I don't want to cause a virtual scene.

do it. once a fat, always a fat

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
i like the people who spam youtube with "[product/mlm name] SCAM! WATCH THIS FOR THE TRUTH!" then the vid promotes the mlm

they do this with web pages too, i've seen them make completely fake "review" sites that even have reviews written for tons of other products or services to make the site look legit, then the top rated product is the mlm

it makes it so if people try to search for the mlm or product name, it's impossible to find anything real, all you can find is fake stuff saying you should definitely do the mlm and it will definitely make you money and it is definitely not a scam or pyramid scheme

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:patriot:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I like money

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
for awhile the scam.com forums were awash in MLM kool-aid drinkers, defenders, and pushers

e: hahah they kinda still are

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Blue Train posted:

There's not just one avarage person. Your math is off

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Pyramid schemes aka Multi level Marketing schemes aka MLMs have been around for at least 50 years. So why the gently caress do I have people blowing up Facebook with this AdvoCare bullshit.

Just exactly how low does ones IQ have to be to fall for them? Are we talking regular old retard >80 or lower like dog level?
Op we are just the :10bux: bottoms of a pyramid called something awful

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
there's no hivemind; when a fucker somewhere in nevada learns some hard lessons about tupperware sales techniques, another fucker in pennsylvania remains completely oblivious

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
People are morons and they never learn. Lots of idiots too dumb to type something into google and then type the word scam after it when something sounds fishy.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dick Fagballzson posted:

People are morons and they never learn. Lots of idiots too dumb to type something into google and then type the word scam after it when something sounds fishy.

I wish I was too dumb to use Google because I want some steak right now and that sweaty door-to-door steak salesman was cutting me quite the bargain.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Blue Train posted:

disagree, people are usually smart at specific things. however, the average person IS insanely greedy.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

A woman I'm friends with on Facebook that I used to work with decided to "make her own Avon business" after leaving said job. Posted on Facebook all the time about ordering this product or that new product, get it before x date and whatever. Came back to work and put flyers in the break room for it.

Not a single sale. Poor girl.

Another lady at work decided to get into the dildo selling side of MLMs and was surprised and let down when only one coworker showed up to her nasty house to look at her wares of vibrators and oils and floppy dongs. She bought food and booze and made sure the kids were out of the house, it was a big deal for her. One person. No sale, just getting really sad drunk.

Not quite as sad as Avon girl.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Why does everyone on SA but me apparently have a bunch of Facebook "friends" who post anti-vaccine garbage, MLM, and Fox News talking points? If you go on the Internet to get more of these people than what you already get in your everyday life, kill yourself.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Santheb posted:

A woman I'm friends with on Facebook that I used to work with decided to "make her own Avon business" after leaving said job. Posted on Facebook all the time about ordering this product or that new product, get it before x date and whatever. Came back to work and put flyers in the break room for it.

Not a single sale. Poor girl.

Another lady at work decided to get into the dildo selling side of MLMs and was surprised and let down when only one coworker showed up to her nasty house to look at her wares of vibrators and oils and floppy dongs. She bought food and booze and made sure the kids were out of the house, it was a big deal for her. One person. No sale, just getting really sad drunk.

Not quite as sad as Avon girl.

At least she had her dildos.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Why does everyone on SA but me apparently have a bunch of Facebook "friends" who post anti-vaccine garbage, MLM, and Fox News talking points? If you go on the Internet to get more of these people than what you already get in your everyday life, kill yourself.

because they accept friends requests from all their aunts and great aunts, idiots they meet on nights out and friends of firends cos they're so desperate to look popular lmao

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Blue Train posted:

average person doesn't even know what an average is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
can someone elaborate on the tactics cults and MLM schemes use? sounds interesting

• Locked thread