Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

09/13/06 Edit - In an effort to make as many people as happy as possible without resorting to blowjobs, I've gone through and added italicized text captions for all of the animations for all of the old updates. I had some complaints that some people "wanted" to read the thread, but couldn't because they hated trying to read my animated conversations.

So no more excuses to miss out on the hillarity. Enjoy it... Whiners.

Inspired by the kick-rear end Let's play Quest for Glory thread, I bring unto you...

Vanity, thy name is Son of Bug Jug.

I'm not cleaning that up.

After only a few steps he slumps to the floor.

Give that man an Emmy!

Cleaning up space puke for a living tends to make you hate life.

Title : Astral Body
Searching...
Title Found... Retrieving.

My Mom always told me to do whatever strange old men tell me to - might as well type that into the computer.

In the future, ladders are a lost technology.

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.

They let anybody at all open and close the bay doors, but you need a keycard to take this elevator.

You turn the dial to the right. The light begins to glow.

Space schwag! This stuff's going on Ebay. But for now, we'll settle for turning on the Universal translator.

A baffling number of the initial "puzzles" can be solved with "look panel" and "push button".

close door
wear seatbelt
push power button
push autonav
pull throttle

Flyin' ain't easy but it's necessary.

Phew! Flying away from the danger, now I can relax.

drat IT!

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 14, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Looks good, but I demand screenshots of untimeley demises!

Disco Cat
Oct 20, 2002
I hope you're aiming for a perfect score. I don't think I ever managed to get 202/202 in Space Quest, and I'd be interested to find out what optional actions I skipped.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Capntastic posted:

Looks good, but I demand screenshots of untimeley demises!

The unique deaths (at least the ones that I'm aware of) will certainly be included.

But don't get too excited, compared to QFG1 they are few and far between. For the most part you just get a generic, "Well you sure did suck" message.

Disco Cat posted:

I hope you're aiming for a perfect score. I don't think I ever managed to get 202/202 in Space Quest, and I'd be interested to find out what optional actions I skipped.

You bet.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Hahah I forgot how serious Space Quest 1 was. Miles away from the humor of the later sequels.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Oh man, this brings back memories. Nice job with the animated GIFs, too.

Eagerly awaiting future updates :)

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Posting in anticipation of spider droid and dehydrated water.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Son Of Bug Jug posted:

But don't get too excited, compared to QFG1 they are few and far between. For the most part you just get a generic, "Well you sure did suck" message.

Awww. That's a shame.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Not to disturb your nice thread, but you could maybe use the SpaceQuest 1 VGA version, unless there is something I'm overlooking here - besides added nostalgia. (Yes I only played the EGA one, too.)

Added screenshot for clarification.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

VomitOnLino posted:

Not to disturb your nice thread, but you could maybe use the SpaceQuest 1 VGA version, unless there is something I'm overlooking here - besides added nostalgia. (Yes I only played the EGA one, too.)

I never liked the point-n-click Sierra games. Spending hours trying to figure out the EXACT phrase that they're looking for is half the fun.

Push button
I don't understand
Push the button
I don't understand
Push the button on the panel
I don't understand
Push panel button
You can't push the panel

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 23, 2006

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Wow, 160x200 pixel EGA graphics! I think the first Space Quest I ever played was 2, I think my best friend and I made our first contact with complex sentences in the English language with that game, it was way more fun than English class.

Sarkazein v2.0
Feb 19, 2001

All aboard the fiery inferno of Death!
I considered doing a Police Quest thread, but they just don't have the humour of Quest for Glory.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

the animated gif would be bigger than the original game.
sq 3 was the best of the type adventures anyway, and 4 was probably the best of the series

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I can get HBO on that screen, right?... Right?

Sounds nice.

What's the worst that could happen?

The take-away for this Let's Play thread is that if you're ever in a crash, make sure to grab some broken glass.

This is the point where the developers stopped worrying about making the game fun, and started worrying about making the game long.

OMFG QUICKSAND!!!!!!

Wait... what?

Serialize
Sep 14, 2004

Puff, puff, pass
I only ever really got into Space Quest 6, which I liked tons. It was the first adventure game I played, really. After that I played QFG 3. I played SQ 5 years later and enjoyed it somewhat. I'll be checking back with you when you get to 4, I can't stand EGA pooperdudes graphics.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Alright, let's make some progress - Forward MARCH!

You've been snatched from existence by a tentacled beast lurking beneath the grate. You feel the painful sting of digestive fluids.

Oh Anime - is there no childhood memory you can't pervert?

Okay, we can survive some light tickling.

The door opens when we put the rock on the geyser. High Security meets Rube Goldberg.

You lean over to drink from the tempting pool of liquid. As your lips touch the liquid you feel a pain that could be likened to kissing a lit rocket nozzle. Now you know what they say by "Don't drink the water."
That's right. You have no head. That darn pool must be filled with acid. You obviously can't go on living that way.

It's still better than Diet Pepsi.

At least beams of light can't hurt me.

You are now lying on the floor in many pieces. Guess those beams meant business, Son of Bug Jug.

You quite cleverly turn the beam upon itself, frying it to inoperability.

As soon as you enter the room, you find yourself surrounded by darkness. Suddenly you become aware of the fact that you cannot move or speak. A strange, unknown force has taken over.
A massive holographic image appears before you. You sense that you are the only life form in the area.

No problemo!

Does the Orat count as an organic life form?

Now the long trek back to the cave in the desert heat.

Time to whip out the survival kit.

That's better than Diet Pepsi too.

Once more unto the breach.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 14, 2006

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

Oh wow. You can lead the droid to the beast? Crazy... I always ended up dropping the rock on the Droid and then throwing the can of water to the beast. I just recently played SQ5, Fun games.

Wooh, almost to the hover craft thingy!

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine
Kick rear end. I always wanted to play the VGA one when I was a kid, but back then, my computer was lucky that Windows 3.1 worked on it.

Navarre
Jul 5, 2005

by Eris Is Goddess

Son Of Bug Jug posted:

The unique deaths (at least the ones that I'm aware of) will certainly be included.

Man, old-school SQ1 really shafts you in that regard. The prettified version, besides having totally redone graphics, made the deaths so much better. The acid pool's is particularly awesome, as the designers pop in and openly mock you for the obvious suicide.

EDIT: With 'Instant Replay' and everything. Also: 'Taste' and 'Smell'.

Navarre fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 24, 2006

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Navarre posted:

Man, old-school SQ1 really shafts you in that regard. The prettified version, besides having totally redone graphics, made the deaths so much better. The acid pool's is particularly awesome, as the designers pop in and openly mock you for the obvious suicide.

I remember having Roger smell the acid far more times than should have been amusing.

ToasterThief
Jun 1, 2001
Let's all just get along.
Awww I wanted to see the VGA version! :D I never got to play that one as a kid,

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
You forgot to look at the water bottle. :mad:

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

SpaceChief posted:

You forgot to look at the water bottle. :mad:

Forgot, or put off until now to make it better?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Already, I'm learning something. I hated having to drop the big loving rock on the spiderbot. Didn't know you could do both at once.

...do you get more points for killing Orat and the bot at once?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

FairGame posted:

Already, I'm learning something. I hated having to drop the big loving rock on the spiderbot. Didn't know you could do both at once.

...do you get more points for killing Orat and the bot at once?

You get 10 points either way, I just prefer this one.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
Very awesome, Space Quest is probably my favourite old school series, even though i only got to play the later games.

It wasn't mentioned yet so i'll ask, will you be going through the entire series? (please say yes)

Monkeyman1138
Sep 4, 2004
Awesome death-wise you forgot to warp yourself to King's Quest in the escape pod!

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

God I love this game. See avatar.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Harry Joe posted:

It wasn't mentioned yet so i'll ask, will you be going through the entire series? (please say yes)

I've only ever played 1 through 3, so no matter what somebody else would need to do 4 and 5.

Monkeyman1138 posted:

Awesome death-wise you forgot to warp yourself to King's Quest in the escape pod!

Ask, and ye' shall receive.

Comfy Couch
Aug 20, 2005

by Fragmaster
Oh god, I've been waiting for this thread. I used to be such a Wilco junkie. I've played 1-6 countless times and it never gets old.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Holy poo poo...GATOR PARTY!

I'd love if after you finished this you did a runthrough on the VGA version so we could compare changes.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
This is great. I got the SQ Collection Series as a kid, but I never had the patience for the text adventure games. :/

The last time I tried, I couldn't get them to install properly.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

VomitOnLino posted:

EGA > VGA for remakes.

I swear SQ1 is the most brutual game to introduce someone to text-based games ever. I think I cried after being killed 10000 times trying to just leave the loving ship.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This next part dodging rocks with the speeder always messed me up as a kid.

I'm looking forward to the entertaining message about the sand in your boots when you leave the planet.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
bring on the ZZ Top.

Phate
Nov 5, 2004
Holy poo poo I played this game at a friends but never knew the title of the game until now after seeing those screenshots. Thanks for this.

E.F.S.R.
Jan 5, 2006
I always went out of my way to kill Roger in the Space Quest games... until I came across the purple mortician death message in SQ1VGA. I never let Roger die in that game again.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Navarre posted:

Having never played a * Quest game in my life, ever, I really want to know what taste and smell do with the acid pool now. :)

I didn't think I'd like this thread when I clicked it but it's strangely addicting...I'm looking forward to more updates (and deaths) too.

YancyDCjew
Feb 28, 2002

My name's Spagett, I do parties, and you just take my card, and if you need someone to spook ya-
SQ4 came out around the time I got my first real computer and I loved that and 5. I borrowed the first 3 from a friend and couldn't get into them, especially this one. It's just not that funny. Glad you're playing through it for me.

What did people think of 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

YancyDCjew posted:

SQ4 came out around the time I got my first real computer and I loved that and 5. I borrowed the first 3 from a friend and couldn't get into them, especially this one. It's just not that funny. Glad you're playing through it for me.

What did people think of 6?
SQ6 was pretty assy compared to SQ4 and 5. The one I bought also had a bug that made the game unbeatable.