Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

I AM A UNIQUE TRANSEXUAL FURRY ATTENTION WHORE AND BTW I KNOW IM FAT, OK
Bah - I couldn't decide on an icon as it's sort of event, e/n, whine, rant, help and weird... so I just picked weird.

To start off - I'm female, and I'm what most people would consider too young to get married. I'll be barely 19 on my wedding day.

On July 7th I'll be getting married to a (now 21 year old) man I met 4 years ago at CONvergence and that I've been seeing for about 2 1/2 years.

CONvergence is a sci-fi/fantasy convention held near Saint Paul, MN. It's one of the most amazing conventions out there - from their wonderful guests and extremely sweet staff to their kick-rear end drunken room parties - the whole experience is incredible. If you're near the twin cities area, you should REALLY check it out.
The convention spans from July 6th to July 8th, and at 3:00pm on July 7th I'll be getting married in the central area of the hotel - everyone in the entire convention, and anyone not apart of the convention is welcome to come bear witness. Which is a little nerve-wracking.

So, there are only 42 days left. My dress, tiara, veil, shoes and lingerie are all bought. I'm lacking jewelry and flowers, and I have no idea what I'm doing with my hair.
My fiance and his best man (aka his sister) have their tuxes all settled.
We haven't done anything about our flowers (though we are going to look at some and talk with our florist tomorrow) and we haven't done anything about out cake (though we know who will make it). We're having our wedding rings custom made - three gemmed triforces - and those will be done soon. We also know who's performing the ceremony.
Still, though, the pressure is building immensely. I feel like we have nothing done.

On top of this, we're hosting a room party (based on Changeling: The Dreaming - if anyone is familiar) and we have a lot to do for that. We have our favors ordered, we have our theme and some activities worked out. We have no idea how to decorate yet and we still need to get a lot of items for our raffle. We also have to make signs to hang up around the hotel to advertise our wedding, reception and room party.
Again, I feel like we have nothing done.

Our first wedding (the one at convergence) is going to be mildly Zelda themed. My bouquet will be pink and purple like Zelda's dress, his tux has a green vest and tie, I'll likely have triforce themed jewelry, and our wedding rings will be triforces. Also there will be little Navi-style fairies as decoration all over the area.

The rings, for a bit more clarification, will be a gem triforce. The top triangle is a garnet, the left is a blue topaz and the right is a peridot. The rings will be nearly identical, the only difference being that his is larger. Each gem in my ring will be .75 carats and each gem in his will be 1.25 carats. They will be set in gold on a silver band.

After this whole ordeal we're having another, family-oriented ceremony in the evening in august. A nice, traditional, outdoor wedding hosted by my parents.

Does anyone have any advice for the things I don't have yet? Or encouragement?
Will anyone be attending convergence?
Does anyone want to make posters for me? *winkwinknudgenudge?* :sigh:
Think this whole thing is terribly lame or terrifically cool?
Any other questions/comments?
Please, discuss!

Lissedae fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
I think that congratulations are in place. And woah, a real geek wedding? Am I invited? :haw:

Protogeometric
Jun 25, 2006

LETS ARGUE ABOUT FUCKING WEATHER! DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO CONTRIBUTE RATHER THAN NOTHING!?
This sounds like a hilarious wedding. Can we get pics of the cute couple?

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

Funkz posted:

I think that congratulations are in place. And woah, a real geek wedding? Am I invited? :haw:

You are if you want to come up to Minnesota!

We talked to the heads of convergence and worked it out such that anyone and everyone in the hotel will be able to watch/attend our wedding. It's pretty cool.

We're in this area that's on the ground level and in the center of two stories of cabanas with porches/balconies. The area also has a huge amount of seating available.

LittleJoe
Jun 22, 2004

heh
You are going to regret nearly everything about your wedding

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I guess my only questions would be:

1) Why would you choose to be married at such a young age?

2) Why would you choose to be married in such a ... tacky manner?

3) How many times have you met this guy in person before you're going to get married to him?

4) When Zelda doesn't mean poo poo to your kids 15 years from now (assuming you stay married that long), what are you going to tell them about your upcoming wedding?

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

LittleJoe posted:

You are going to regret nearly everything about your wedding

Ha! You would think that except that I've been going to this convention for four years and I'm not going to stop - If anything I'll end up a staff member.

And I considered the regret which is why I'm not going to be wearing a costume.

Also, it seems you doubt my devotion to Zelda. I'm getting the Hylian Shield tattooed on me in a week.

I don't think regretting marrying who I'm marrying even needs to come into question.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

19 holy poo poo you are young, why get married so quick and at such a young age? I mean get engaged have some fun get married a few years from now if all is still working out.

LittleJoe
Jun 22, 2004

heh

Lissedae posted:

Ha! You would think that except that I've been going to this convention for four years and I'm not going to stop - If anything I'll end up a staff member.

Also, it seems you doubt my devotion to Zelda. I'm getting the Hylian Shield tattooed on me in a week.

I don't think regretting marrying who I'm marrying even needs to come into question.

in the wedding photos, you're going to have a green and purple bouquet, and will be standing next to a man wearing a green vest and tie

you'll have a ring made after a pop culture reference

you're basing your decor on some movie or whatever

you're 19 years old, and are talking about having posters at your wedding at a science fiction convention

you are going to regret everything about your wedding, and probably not even that far in the future

I mean, you know how you look back at your grand parent's photos, and your grandma is pretty and in a white dress and your grandpa is stern and done up in his sunday best and it's black and white and sepia toned and you realize hey my grandparents were young and in love once because wedding photos have that beautiful and timeless aspect

yeah well you're trading that tradition and timeless quality in for tacky pop culture references and your favorite science fiction convention "hey mom why were you wearing that stupid bangle jewelry" "well tommy you see back in the day there was this NES game... oh god, you don't know what NES is? how the hell have I been raising you?"

LittleJoe fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 26, 2007

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Lissedae posted:

Think this whole thing is terribly lame?
Yes. This.

This is some hardcore nerd poo poo, and I can't believe you thought posting this was a good idea that would not end in you being ridiculed.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm 22 and my wife is 23 and we thought we were young. I demand pictures of these rings.

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

Kalista posted:

I guess my only questions would be:

1) Why would you choose to be married at such a young age?

2) Why would you choose to be married in such a ... tacky manner?

3) How many times have you met this guy in person before you're going to get married to him?

4) When Zelda doesn't mean poo poo to your kids 15 years from now (assuming you stay married that long), what are you going to tell them about your upcoming wedding?

1) Why wait? I've been through plenty of long-term (years-long) relationships to know he's the one.

2) Weird? yes. Tacky? Not so much...

3) Uhm... The first time I met him was in person. And we've lived together for about a year now.

4) That mommy and daddy had a slightly themed wedding about something that meant a lot to both of them. The ideas behind my wedding don't need to be appealing/mean a lot/ even make sense to my children. Don't all kids think their parents are weird anyway? Although CONvergence, gaming, sci-fi, etc will mean a lot to my kids because that's just how I'm going to raise them.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

Lissedae posted:

Not to thread poo poo or anything, but regardless of your current devotion, you will still likely regret it. A person goes through several hundred mental changes throughout his lifetime. Sooner or later, you will eventually regret it.

But good luck! Who am I to talk, maybe you will actually stay like this. I hope you have fun.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Lissedae posted:

I promise that in 5 - 7 years you will look back at this sentence and laugh your rear end off for one of two reasons:

1) Because you are now divorced and can't even fathom what you possibly were high on to think that getting married was a good idea

2) Because you now understand how completely stupid you were to get married at 19, and even though you're still together it's been the hardest thing you've ever done and if your children ever so much as think about getting married that young you'll kick their asses

I'm betting on #1 myself. Not that I'd speak from experience or anything - oh, of course not...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kalista posted:

I promise that in 5 - 7 years you will look back at this sentence and laugh your rear end off for one of two reasons:

1) Because you are now divorced and can't even fathom what you possibly were high on to think that getting married was a good idea

2) Because you now understand how completely stupid you were to get married at 19, and even though you're still together it's been the hardest thing you've ever done and if your children ever so much as think about getting married that young you'll kick their asses

I'm betting on #1 myself. Not that I'd speak from experience or anything - oh, of course not...

:( You're depresing. Let's just laugh at the fact that her wedding is going to be video-game-themed instead.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

You will grow out of this. Please reconsider.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

LittleJoe posted:

in the wedding photos, you're going to have a green and purple bouquet, and will be standing next to a man wearing a green vest and tie

you'll have a ring made after a pop culture reference

you're basing your decor on some movie or whatever

you're 19 years old, and are talking about having posters at your wedding at a science fiction convention

you are going to regret everything about your wedding, and probably not even that far in the future

All bouquets... no, most bouquets are green and some other color. I mean, leaves... Purple isn't that rare of a wedding color. And I think green is a beautiful color. I don't understand the problem.

The symbolism of the ring means a lot, actually, but I really don't feel like explaining it.

And, uhm, I'm talking about having a lot of people at my wedding, being that it's being held at a very public and open place. gently caress, Hello K'tty might be at my wedding, I really don't know or care.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

Clandestine Carwash posted:

You will grow out of this. Please reconsider.

Haha. I still haven't grown out of sailor moon (that picture is 5 years old, btw)

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

mutata posted:

:( You're depresing. Let's just laugh at the fact that her wedding is going to be video-game-themed instead.

No, I'm right - but that still leaves lots of room to laugh at a video-game-themed wedding regardless! :coal:

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Lissedae posted:

Don't all kids think their parents are weird anyway?
In your kids' case they'll be justified in this belief.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

inpheaux posted:

In your kids' case they'll be justified in this belief.

Indeed they will be.

LittleJoe
Jun 22, 2004

heh

Lissedae posted:

1) Why wait? I've been through plenty of long-term (years-long) relationships to know he's the one.

2) Weird? yes. Tacky? Not so much...

3) Uhm... The first time I met him was in person. And we've lived together for about a year now.

4) That mommy and daddy had a slightly themed wedding about something that meant a lot to both of them. The ideas behind my wedding don't need to be appealing/mean a lot/ even make sense to my children. Don't all kids think their parents are weird anyway? Although CONvergence, gaming, sci-fi, etc will mean a lot to my kids because that's just how I'm going to raise them.

1) No you haven't

2) Yes, tacky in the extreme. The only way it could be tackier is if you had christmas lights strung up around for ambience and peanut vendors at the door

A "non-traditional" and "weird" wedding would be getting hitched on safari by a witch doctor, something exotic and memorable. what you're getting is trashy and depressing. it's like if your parents had had a disco-themed wedding, just think how cool those pictures and memories would be

LittleJoe fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 26, 2007

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

I think it's kinda cute and/but don't really care much for traditional weddings.

Having said that, you're very young and haven't been together that long.

But hey, good luck :)

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

Madness posted:

19 holy poo poo you are young, why get married so quick and at such a young age? I mean get engaged have some fun get married a few years from now if all is still working out.

I'd previously wasted over 3 years of my life on an abusive rear end in a top hat, and I got all my partying and fun out when I was way too young to be partying (12-17). I think that phase of my life is pretty done with. I'm over the sleeping around and whatnot. And it's not as if my life is over when I get married. We're not having kids for a few more years.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

LittleJoe posted:

1) No you haven't

What do you mean 'no you haven't'?
For starters, you have no idea.
And this is my third relationship to last over a year. There was the year-long relationship when I was quite young, then the 3 1/2 year relationship with a guy who turned out to be abusive, and now a relationship of over 2 years with my best friend of over 4 years.

LittleJoe
Jun 22, 2004

heh

Lissedae posted:

I'd previously wasted over 3 years of my life on an abusive rear end in a top hat, and I got all my partying and fun out when I was way too young to be partying (12-17). I think that phase of my life is pretty done with. I'm over the sleeping around and whatnot. And it's not as if my life is over when I get married. We're not having kids for a few more years.

yeah you're pretty much a seasoned old salt at 19. no reason not to settle down

Lissedae posted:

What do you mean 'no you haven't'?
For starters, you have no idea.
And this is my third relationship to last over a year. There was the year-long relationship when I was quite young, then the 3 1/2 year relationship with a guy who turned out to be abusive, and now a relationship of over 2 years with my best friend of over 4 years.

you're 19 years old if you've been in long term relationships since the minute you reached sexual maturity you're still pretty inexperienced in love sorry I know it's not fun being told you're young and stupid but you're both in a high degree

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

barbecution posted:

I think it's kinda cute and/but don't really care much for traditional weddings.

Having said that, you're very young and haven't been together that long.

But hey, good luck :)

Thank you.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

LittleJoe posted:

yeah you're pretty much a seasoned old salt at 19. no reason not to settle down

I'm as seasoned as I want to be. If I keep going on the path I was on, I'll be a meth-addicted, binge-drinking pregnant mother getting beaten every night by the time I'm 21. I think I'll quite while I'm ahead and settle down with the most compatible person on the planet for me.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

I just hope you both grow up at the same time, your still young and so is he. I am 25 now myself and when I married my wife 3 years ago I was 100% a different person and even though we have both changed we worked it out and stayed together, but it was on of the hardest things I have ever done. People say marriage is 50/50 but it is never that way, sometimes you will feel unloved or even alone because real life "job, kids, ext" take away time you once had together and it makes things really really hard. My first year being married was one of the hardest years of my life, and remember a lot of people freak out in the first year and that is why 7/10
"probably higher now" people get divorced in the first year of marriage. I wish you the best and hope your not part of the 7 people who give up..

LittleJoe
Jun 22, 2004

heh

Lissedae posted:

I'm as seasoned as I want to be. If I keep going on the path I was on, I'll be a meth-addicted, binge-drinking pregnant mother getting beaten every night by the time I'm 21. I think I'll quite while I'm ahead and settle down with the most compatible person on the planet for me.

a lot of people make it through their 20s without having children using meth or getting regularly beaten up just fine without having a zelda-themed wedding at a science fiction con

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

Lissedae posted:

Although CONvergence, gaming, sci-fi, etc will mean a lot to my kids because that's just how I'm going to raise them.

Timmy! What the HELL are you doing outside with that football?! You march right back in here this instant and watch Firefly young man! Don't even think about trying that again until you've written at least three more pages of crossover fan fiction.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Lissedae posted:

On top of this, we're hosting a room party (based on Changeling: The Dreaming - if anyone is familiar) and we have a lot to do for that.

You're having a wedding related party themed around an RPG that was so terrible not even White Wolf could sell it to a ready-made market of fat girls in faerie wings?

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
Allow me to tack one more "Nerd!" onto this. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I'd like to say with all seriousness: You have no idea what the coming years bring.

I just got out of a five year relationship where things were sure to work out with us being married and they didn't. Does my personal experience mean anything to you? No, I'm sure it doesn't. I started that relationship at 22 and I'm now 27. I realize without a doubt that I had no idea about the future at 22 and that's truly a lifetime away from 19.

Congratulations on your engagement/wedding. I'm sorry that Ganon won't be there to speak up when Captain Lou Albano asks for someone to speak up if you guys shouldn't do it. Don't bet the farm on it.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

LittleJoe posted:

2) Yes, tacky in the extreme. The only way it could be tackier is if you had christmas lights strung up around for ambience and peanut vendors at the door

I don't think there's any reason to assume there won't be.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

KuangMkV posted:

You're having a wedding related party themed around an RPG that was so terrible not even White Wolf could sell it to a ready-made market of fat girls in faerie wings?
This really made me laugh, I think it's the fat girls with wings image that got me.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

Madness posted:

I just hope you both grow up at the same time, your still young and so is he. I am 25 now myself and when I married my wife 3 years ago I was 100% a different person and even though we have both changed we worked it out and stayed together, but it was on of the hardest things I have ever done. People say marriage is 50/50 but it is never that way, sometimes you will feel unloved or even alone because real life "job, kids, ext" take away time you once had together and it makes things really really hard. My first year being married was one of the hardest years of my life, and remember a lot of people freak out in the first year and that is why 7/10
"probably higher now" people get divorced in the first year of marriage.

I've actually gotten that advice from my grandmother. She said that the hardest year is without a doubt the first year. You're so worried about finances, you don't get the time you thought you would, and you start thinking about big thinks like kids.
We've been living together for a while now, and that's helped a lot. We're pretty stable in our daily lives, understand the time we have for each other, etc. Getting married will change very little in the practical sense. Still though, I am worried that the first year is going to be more stressful that I had anticipated. I'm certain that we're close enough, in love enough and just plain compatible enough to get through very, very hard times.

I really appreciate the encouragement and advice.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Lissedae posted:

I think I'll quite while I'm ahead and settle down with the most compatible person on the planet for me.

Well I'm glad you've spent the 3-4 months you haven't been busy in high school seeing the world and meeting everyone on the planet so that you're sure he is the one and only!

You're insane. You don't realize this now, but you will. God, if only.

:psyduck:

tombom
Mar 8, 2006
http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1796748&highlight=

You believe yourself to have "Disassociative Identety Disorder". You're 19. You want to have a Zelda wedding. Don't you think this might not turn out for the better?

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

Citizen Jerk posted:

I just got out of a five year relationship where things were sure to work out with us being married and they didn't. Does my personal experience mean anything to you? No, I'm sure it doesn't. I started that relationship at 22 and I'm now 27. I realize without a doubt that I had no idea about the future at 22 and that's truly a lifetime away from 19.

For you that's how it went, but other people have gotten married at 19 and been together almost 50 years. And even started having children immediately (my grandparents, for instance).

I understand the caution - that nothing is certain and that sometimes things crumble without warning. But I also understand that things aren't always like that.
My aunt was in a 5-year relationship with a man she loved dearly, but it fell apart eventually - ironically enough, it was because he wouldn't commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Google Image Search result for "changeling larp"