Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Ernie. posted:

It's pretty cool but I'd argue that it was probably less interesting than taking the play in the direction where the referencing of intellectual hallmarks like infinity and the universe are themselves challenged. I'd argue that the word 'Infinity' and the popular spherical picture of our Universe are themselves metaphoric reductions of the concepts, becoming references rather than identities. That kind of wholeness of what we need to do away with, would probably give more depth to the topic and provide contemporary commentary of many things people don't already regard as silly.

Probably because you hammered the viewer on the head with an explanation of the metaphor in the first act. The result being that the second act where death is beaten with nothing more than the vernacular leaves the audience feeling like they're the target. I'm only half-joking.

It was a ten minute play. No room for subtlety!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Meinberg posted:

It was a ten minute play. No room for subtlety!

Brevity is the soul of wit. Because it's only ten minutes long, it can get away with subtlety more easily as the audience wouldn't have to make very many logical jumps. Trust your audience.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Meinberg posted:

Don't make me record a dramatic reading and upload it! I will do it!

Don't loving test me! :argh:

loving do it.

Quick Julius Caesar fact: He was once kidnapped by pirates and when they showed him his ransom price he insulted them and demanded it be doubled. He also told him that when he was released back to Rome he would hunt them all down and have them crucified. He did and it was awesome. Caesar is alright with me.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Ernie. posted:

Brevity is the soul of wit. Because it's only ten minutes long, it can get away with subtlety more easily as the audience wouldn't have to make very many logical jumps. Trust your audience.

I may be riding a kick of both Beckett and Brecht, while having the talent to emulate neither. It was a hell of a time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Dr. Hurt posted:

loving do it.

Quick Julius Caesar fact: He was once kidnapped by pirates and when they showed him his ransom price he insulted them and demanded it be doubled. He also told him that when he was released back to Rome he would hunt them all down and have them crucified. He did and it was awesome. Caesar is alright with me.

he had their throats slit first though because caesar knew these guys on a first name basis and knew how lovely a death crucifixion is.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Dr. Hurt posted:

loving do it.

I'll record it in the morning when people aren't asleep. I gotta get my shout on.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Meinberg posted:

I'll record it in the morning when people aren't asleep. I gotta get my shout on.

:munch:

This might be a three horse race, yet, for my heart.

Xylo's progression from complaining about his avatar to ending up in prison is beautiful.

:munch:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Why does this thread look like an Eng Lit class? :(

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Toadsmash posted:

Why does this thread look like an Eng Lit class? :(

Because some of us are literate. :smuggo:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
You, sir, are a slime and a wastrel. I dub thee Mud.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Toadsmash posted:

You, sir, are a slime and a wastrel. I dub thee Mud.

Talk about sound and fury, signifying nothing, amirite?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Dota is a fun game.

I used to play a lot of League of Legends, but I found that the metagame solidified in a way that just made it tedious to play. As well Riot's overall attitude towards the game and the community only really succeeded in driving me away. They are obsessed with maintaining an impossibly delicate balance such that they no longer take any risks when it comes to creating new champions or adjusting old ones. If the community complains loudly enough about a particular champion then they will make that champion weaker. It completely breaks one of the central joys I find in these games, which is about bringing the community together to find a solution to a problem. If a particular combo or champion strategy has become popular it should be up to the community to decide how to deal with it and to come up with creative ways of making that strategy unsuccessful. By training your playerbase that if they complain then the devs will come in and remove the problem it stifles that creativity.

In comparison, Dota is a game where the motto really is "if everybody is overpowered, then nobody is" school of balancing. Sometimes things will get tweaked if a new hero is ludicrously out of sorts, but in most cases it is up to dota players to find solutions to dota strategies. It also means that with the overall increase in power across the board dota is a lot more fun to play. Spells hit harder but are much more resource intensive so instead of spamming your abilities you have to pick your moment if you want a kill. It also means that a small misstep can be disastrous, which keeps you on your toes. The downside to dota is a lot of the mechanics which exist simply because they are a relic of an old game engine and became part of the expected gameplay. They add an unnecessary level of complexity to the new player, since many people who play cannot explain why such a thing exists in the game, just that it is expected of you to do it.

Both games have their high points and their flaws, and the learning curve can be quite daunting to someone new to the genre, but I find that if you really give it your attention it can lead to very rewarding gaming experiences.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Asiina posted:

Dota is a fun game.

I used to play a lot of League of Legends, but I found that the metagame solidified in a way that just made it tedious to play. As well Riot's overall attitude towards the game and the community only really succeeded in driving me away. They are obsessed with maintaining an impossibly delicate balance such that they no longer take any risks when it comes to creating new champions or adjusting old ones. If the community complains loudly enough about a particular champion then they will make that champion weaker. It completely breaks one of the central joys I find in these games, which is about bringing the community together to find a solution to a problem. If a particular combo or champion strategy has become popular it should be up to the community to decide how to deal with it and to come up with creative ways of making that strategy unsuccessful. By training your playerbase that if they complain then the devs will come in and remove the problem it stifles that creativity.

In comparison, Dota is a game where the motto really is "if everybody is overpowered, then nobody is" school of balancing. Sometimes things will get tweaked if a new hero is ludicrously out of sorts, but in most cases it is up to dota players to find solutions to dota strategies. It also means that with the overall increase in power across the board dota is a lot more fun to play. Spells hit harder but are much more resource intensive so instead of spamming your abilities you have to pick your moment if you want a kill. It also means that a small misstep can be disastrous, which keeps you on your toes. The downside to dota is a lot of the mechanics which exist simply because they are a relic of an old game engine and became part of the expected gameplay. They add an unnecessary level of complexity to the new player, since many people who play cannot explain why such a thing exists in the game, just that it is expected of you to do it.

Both games have their high points and their flaws, and the learning curve can be quite daunting to someone new to the genre, but I find that if you really give it your attention it can lead to very rewarding gaming experiences.

wut

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I thought this was the thread where we post random thoughts?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Asiina posted:

I thought this was the thread where we post random thoughts?

No, this is the thread where we have meaningful* discussions.

*I decide what is meant by meaningful.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Asiina posted:

Dota is a fun game.

Yes but at the end of the day, netherdrake :lol:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Meinberg posted:

Caesar was a dick. And a warning to all future leaders (that means you Heads of Household) that might seek to abuse their powers.

Dude could make a hell of a salad, though.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Caesar crossed the Rubicon with a few legions, which was a big no-no and started a civil war. In fact his march was really quite fast, because the people in the towns he passed (a) thought Caesar was pretty cool and (b) didn't want to irritate an army of hardened Gaul-stompers. The Founding Fathers of the US knew this was a bad deal for everyone, which is why the Bill of Rights has an amendment explicitly prohibiting unlawful surging Caesar.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Caesar crossed the Rubicon with a few legions, which was a big no-no and started a civil war. In fact his march was really quite fast, because the people in the towns he passed (a) thought Caesar was pretty cool and (b) didn't want to irritate an army of hardened Gaul-stompers. The Founding Fathers of the US knew this was a bad deal for everyone, which is why the Bill of Rights has an amendment explicitly prohibiting unlawful surging Caesar.

:golfclap:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Worth the wait.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Meinberg posted:

So, I have relatives over, and it seems unlikely that I will get some time to myself until they are gone. That said, I will bust out the dramatic reading eventually, so you all can bask in my amazing acting talents.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Meinberg posted:

you all can bask in my amazing acting talents.

...Do we have to? :smith:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Rarity posted:

...Do we have to? :smith:

As the break out star of this season, you better!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Meinberg posted:

As the break out star of this season, you better!

Rarity isn't the breakout star, I am.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

JakeP posted:

Rarity isn't the breakout star, I am.

I meant that I'm the breakout star. Duh.

Clearly you have to work on your reading comprehension. :smuggo:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Meinberg posted:

I meant that I'm the breakout star. Duh.

Clearly you have to work on your reading comprehension. :smuggo:

Yeah, maybe I will do that while you are farting around in Have Not again lol

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

JakeP posted:

Yeah, maybe I will do that while you are farting around in Have Not again lol

Welll... I don't even like your google document! It's terrible and I'm not going to miss you guys at all!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am obviously the fan favorite and the hero
meinberg is the villain who monologues to the camera about his evil schemes while opera music is playing

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I'm convinced no one can see me now that I'm on the far right side of the spreadsheet, so I'll say it here:

John Cena, watch Cabin in the Woods, if you haven't.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
shut up offscreen guy

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
So nominations shortly, right?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
1... 2.... 3......

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Not it!!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You know what all the cool kids do?

Not nominate Rarity.

Don't you want to be cool, Uniballer?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

You know what all the cool kids do?

Not nominate Rarity.

Don't you want to be cool, Uniballer?

Practicing for your pre-eviction vote speech?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

XyloJW posted:

So nominations shortly, right?

In a few minutes yes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

XyloJW posted:

Practicing for your pre-eviction vote speech?

I'd reply with a sarky comment but I don't want to jinx it :(

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Uniballer, Uniballer, yaaaaaaay, Uniballer! :toot:

No, of course I've always been an Uniballer fan. Why, is there something going on tonight? :angel:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It is now time for the Nomination Ceremony.

I will one by one, start revealing the keys of the people who are safe from Eviction. If you see your key revealed, you are not nominated. I will reveal all but two keys. When all but two keys have been shown, the Head of Household will then address directly in this thread both people who have been nominated, and why he or she has nominated them. I will reveal the first person safe from the chopping block...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It doesn't get any easier :ohdear:

• Locked thread