Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bookity book-a. Bok bok bok
This poll is closed.
The Little Red Chairs 3 10.34%
Wolf in White Van 4 13.79%
Pale Fire 10 34.48%
City of Glass 5 17.24%
Snow 7 24.14%
Total: 21 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Sorry folks, I've been swamped so didn't have time to get a poll up. Vote quick!

1: The Little Red Chairs by Edna O'Brian

quote:

Beginning in a small, isolated Irish town, a charismatic mystic and healer arrives and mesmerises the people there with his spirituality and depth. We find out quite soon, though, that he is a wanted war criminal who has committed the most appalling atrocities in the Balkans. To say that he is a thinly disguised Radovan Karadzic would be to exaggerate the extent of the disguise, but by making him a fictional character in a community that she understands intimately, O'Brien can explore his character and the consequences of his actions through fictional events and she paints a brilliant, disturbing portrait of an egocentric, self-deluding psychopath.

quote:

Edna O’Brien’s boldly imagined and harrowing new novel, “The Little Red Chairs” — her 23rd work of fiction since “The Country Girls” (1960) — is both an exploration of those themes of Irish provincial life from the perspective of girls and women for which she has become acclaimed and a radical departure, a work of alternate history in which the devastation of a war-torn Central European country intrudes upon the “primal innocence, lost to most places in the world,” of rural Ireland. Here, in addition to O’Brien’s celebrated gifts of lyricism and mimetic precision, is a new, unsettling fabulist vision that suggests Kafka more than Joyce, as her portrait of the psychopath “warrior poet” Vladimir Dragan suggests Nabokov in his darker, less playful mode.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/books/review/the-little-red-chairs-by-edna-obrien.html

2: Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle

quote:

Wolf in White Van is the first novel by the American author and singer-songwriter John Darnielle. Wolf in White Van tells the story of Sean Phillips, a reclusive game designer whose face has been severely disfigured. One reviewer characterizes Sean as someone "steeped in video games, bad sci-fi movies, and Conan the Barbarian comic books".[1] The plot, which is told non-chronologically, alternates between Sean's childhood, adolescence, and adulthood to describe the circumstances surrounding the incident that disfigured him. A fictional play-by-mail role-playing game called Trace Italian figures prominently in the novel.

The novel has been described as a "meditation on the power of escape,"[2] exploring the escapist qualities of fantasy fiction and role-playing games, particularly as a way to cope with trauma. Wolf in White Van received positive reviews on release and was nominated for the 2014 National Book Award.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_in_White_Van

3: Pale Fire by Vladmir Nabokov

quote:

Pale Fire (1962) is a novel by Vladimir Nabokov. The novel is presented as a 999-line poem titled "Pale Fire", written by the fictional John Shade, with a foreword and lengthy commentary by a neighbor and academic colleague of the poet, Charles Kinbote. Together these elements form a narrative in which both authors are central characters.

Pale Fire has spawned a wide variety of interpretations and a large body of written criticism, which Pekka Tammi estimated in 1995 as more than 80 studies.[1] The Nabokov authority Brian Boyd has called it "Nabokov's most perfect novel",[2] and the critic Harold Bloom called it "the surest demonstration of his own genius ... that remarkable tour de force".[3] It was ranked at number 53 on the list of the Modern Library 100 Best Novels and number 1 on Larry McCaffery's 20th Century’s Greatest Hits: 100 English-Language Books of Fiction.

4: City of Glass by Paul Auster

quote:

The first story, City of Glass, features a detective-fiction writer become private investigator who descends into madness as he becomes embroiled in a case. It explores layers of identity and reality, from Paul Auster the writer of the novel to the unnamed "author" who reports the events as reality to "Paul Auster the writer", a character in the story, to "Paul Auster the detective", who may or may not exist in the novel, to Peter Stillman the younger, to Peter Stillman the elder and, finally, to Daniel Quinn, protagonist.

"City of Glass" has an intertextual relationship with Cervantes' Don Quixote. Not only does the protagonist Daniel Quinn share his initials with the knight, but when Quinn finds "Paul Auster the writer," Auster is in the midst of writing an article about the authorship of Don Quixote. "Auster" calls his article an "imaginative reading," and in it he examines possible identities of Cide Hamete Benengeli, the narrator of the Quixote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_York_Trilogy

5: Snow by Orhan Pamuk

quote:

Snow (Turkish: Kar) is a novel by Turkish writer Orhan Pamuk. Published in Turkish in 2002, it was translated into English by Maureen Freely and published in 2004. The story encapsulates many of the political and cultural tensions of modern Turkey and successfully combines humor, social commentary, mysticism, and a deep sympathy with its characters.

Kar is the word for Snow, but the main character also abbreviates his name to Ka (his initials) with the novel set in the eastern Turkish city of Kars. An opening (and recurring) theme concerns reasons behind a suicide epidemic among teenage girls (which actually took place in the city of Batman[1][2]).

As always, please only vote if you plan on participating if the book you vote for is selected -- this is primarily an interest check. You can vote for more than one title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I endorse all of these books except for Wolf in White Van god bless

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I;ll read snow if it wins

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The first one irks me because Dragan is always used as a first name and I've never heard of anyone with Dragan as a last name. A bit like naming your American character in a novel Jack John or Robert Jeff.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think this is the best lineup I have seen in the BOTM. I will be joining for the first time ever after voting for many failed options!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I agree with BS. The only one I won't read is Snow, but because I'm already reading Pamuk.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
yea, I'll probably read whichever book is chosen. Snow and City of Glass get my vote though, because I already have them on my shelves

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Snow cuz it's on my shelf.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Snow cuz it's on my shelf.

Take your shelf inside idiot

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

My vote goes to City of Glass or Pale Fire.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mover posted:

My vote goes to City of Glass or Pale Fire.

Let's combine the two and read City on Fire

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I've cast my vote, I'm up for anything.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Little red chairs or ple fire

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Why read the WORST book in the New York Trilogy? :(

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I was the shadow of the waxwing slain
By the false azure in the windowpane
I was the smudge of ashen fluff--and I
Lived on, flew on, in the reflected sky

Vote Pale Fire

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pale Fire it is, then?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

blue squares posted:

Pale Fire it is, then?

yup it'll be Pale Fire

I'll get a thread up in a day or two, I want to do it justice. It's been suggested more than once over the past few years for BOTM but I didn't think the forum was ready for it yet.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
is it easily readable on kindle, or does it expect a lot of leafing back and forth and stuff?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

is it easily readable on kindle, or does it expect a lot of leafing back and forth and stuff?

It's hypertext linked, so even easier. At
least the edition I read a few years ago was.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well fine, I actually had this sitting unread on my Kindle already.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Burning Rain posted:

the text implies that you'd be leafing back and forth, but it isn't a sincere suggestion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Bought myself a nice wittle paperback today, supporting local business

• Locked thread