Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
lecherousjester
Jul 17, 2003

Creating the illusion of offense since 1999
I figured this should probably get its own thread at this point.

For those who don't know, the NHL has opened up fan voting for the all-star game this year, and we want to mobilize a huge effort to get a certain Rory Fitzpatrick into the game. Rory's grit, determination, and career -50 rating are a benchmark that all young hockey players should strive for.

VOTE HERE FOR RORY

The easiest way to do this is to open it up in a tab or something, fill out the ballot, hit back, hit F5, and then re-enter the security word and keep going with it. You should also mix up which Western conference dmen you vote for, and try not to vote for Lidstrom, Niedermayer, or Pronger - they'll have enough votes and only 2 dmen can make it in. Some popular choices to vote for are Liles, Hannan, and Ohlund, but we really need to mix it up.

voteforrory.com - spread the word.

What started as a bizarre idea I had at 2 AM last night has turned into about 15 pages on HFBoards, a wikipedia entry, a facebook and myspace group, and probably half of the seperate NHL boards are on board with this idea. We're also trying to get it to a media outlet or two to gain some publicity.

With your help, we can achieve the most amazing thing in the entire world...Rory Fitzpatrick taking the ice for the Western Conference in the 2007 All-Star game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, I don't know.. What's his stance on stem cell research?

lecherousjester
Jul 17, 2003

dcsmrgun posted:

Hmm, I don't know.. What's his stance on stem cell research?

I don't know, but he's all for aborting odd man rushes.

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

I did my part :patriot:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

lecherousjester posted:

The easiest way to do this is to open it up in a tab or something, fill out the ballot, hit back, hit F5, and then re-enter the security word and keep going with it. You should also mix up which Western conference dmen you vote for, and try not to vote for Lidstrom, Niedermayer, or Pronger - they'll have enough votes and only 2 dmen can make it in. Some popular choices to vote for are Liles, Hannan, and Ohlund, but we really need to mix it up.

Does simply hitting backspace and then submit again not work?

lecherousjester
Jul 17, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

Does simply hitting backspace and then submit again not work?

Consensus is that you have to refresh it and generate a new security image.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

lecherousjester posted:

Consensus is that you have to refresh it and generate a new security image.

Ah okay.

We need an official slogan. It needs to be quick and snappy. My idea is "Make It Happen."

e: We should also write Newspaper sports sections. I'm sure one of us would get published in a Sunmedia paper.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 20, 2006

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

The Vote for Rory campaign has hit Wikipedia. Check out section four of Rory's page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Fitzpatrick

The only problem I see with that is that it gives credit for the craze to HF Boards and not SA. Or are we trying to remain behind the scenes in all of this for some reason?

lecherousjester
Jul 17, 2003

Loser posted:

The Vote for Rory campaign has hit Wikipedia. Check out section four of Rory's page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Fitzpatrick

The only problem I see with that is that it gives credit for the craze to HF Boards and not SA. Or are we trying to remain behind the scenes in all of this for some reason?

It started here, but HFboards has taken it to an insane level. I think we should just sit back on this one.

By the way, I know how good you are with graphics...if you want to make something for the Rory site...well, you should.

lecherousjester fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 20, 2006

lecherousjester
Jul 17, 2003

As far as the slogan...someone on facebook mentioned "Rory Does Dallas", which I quite like.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

I'll see what I can do. That Uncle Sam Rory pic on voteforrory.com is hilarious!

lecherousjester posted:

It started here, but HFboards has taken it to an insane level. I think we should just sit back on this one.
Coolio.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

BTW, I think not voting for the unknown guys is the way to go. Pronger, Lidstrom etc. are going to get in anyway, so they're not going to be competing against Rory for votes. It's guys like Liles and Hannan that are taking votes away from Rory. Throw you votes to the guys that you know are going to be in one way or another.

lecherousjester
Jul 17, 2003

Loser posted:

BTW, I think not voting for the unknown guys is the way to go. Pronger, Lidstrom etc. are going to get in anyway, so they're not going to be competing against Rory for votes. It's guys like Liles and Hannan that are taking votes away from Rory. Throw you votes to the guys that you know are going to be in one way or another.

But the problem is that I'm pretty sure Rory has to come in 1st or 2nd among Western Conference defensemen. The way I see it, we should try to distribute the other votes as evenly as possible, using the big 3 of Lidstrom, Niedermayer, and Pronger as kind of last options.

If you vote 100 times, it'd be a good idea to do something like Liles - 30, Hannan - 30, Regehr - 30, Visnovsky - 20, Ohlund - 20, Schneider - 20, Phaneuf - 15, Blake - 15, etc.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Except the fan ballots only select the starting lineup, the rest of the team is chosen by the coaches.
So Fitzpatrick actually has to beat Pronger, Niedermayer, and Lidstrom.

Either way, the amount of votes it seems like he's going to get is going to create interesting news items whether it's enough to get him in or not. :)

ediT: beaten

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I just hope a reporter asks him about this...

Poor Rory, he just won't be able to fathom his new found internet fanbase.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

e: We should also write Newspaper sports sections. I'm sure one of us would get published in a Sunmedia paper.

This will probably work, but we should have a prototype letter to send out.Something along the line of:

The fan-voting on the all-star games is a joke. We are organizing a campaign around voting in Rory Fitzpatrick as a write-in. Visit https://www.voteforrory.com for further details. Together we can make it happen.

I don't know, that's just a scratch.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Since the game is in Dallas you could call it the Lone Star Campaign.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Voted for Fitzpatrick in 06

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Should we crosspost in GBS? That would probably be good for simple vote volume.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f
I voted a few times, good luck with this it would be incredible of you pulled it off.

Mermelstein
Jan 6, 2004

That back+f5 trick is great, I just voted a bunch of times with it. I've been writing in Randy "Bright Spot" Robitaille for the Eastern Conference; I invite you to join me if you don't have one for the East. Although Hatcher would be a better complement to the Rory votes, so you can do that too. He could set the record for worst +/- in an All-Star game :v:

doubledown
Mar 8, 2002

i added to the cause a few times. i also voted for derek roy in the process.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Misanthrope posted:

Poor Rory, he just won't be able to fathom his new found internet fanbase.

The funny thing is that if he were actually a decent player no one would give a drat.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Yeah, I'm glad nobody's mentioned that it started here. I don't want random internet hockey fans to realize we're here.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

SubCrid TC posted:

Yeah, I'm glad nobody's mentioned that it started here. I don't want random internet hockey fans to realize we're here.

Meh I doubt many of them would pay if they didn't really appreciate SA's style of humour, and if they were lovely posters (UR WRONG) - it's not like they'd last.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

This from the facebook group that HFBoards created...

quote:

http://www.sportsargumentw
iki.com/index.
php?title=Rory_Fitzpatrick

It's a pretty awful site (they insult everyone)...the section i added was fairly positive compared to the rest

This place really is something awful.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Wait... someone added a positive section?

Those fuckers

p.s. we don't insult Trevor Linden or Stevie Y.

da keebsta knicca
Sep 12, 2000

Oh Ruutu, you are such a card.
Also please vote for Brashear in the East.. When I saw how bad he was skating versus Vancouver I was afraid this could be his last year in the NHL, and thus last year he could be in an All Star game.

DallyDrake
Jun 18, 2004

by Ozma
I did my part in voting, posting the link on the Blues board I visit, and inviting everyone on my facebook friends list to the group.

Oh, please please work.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
This is awesome, voted.

Also for the first time I get to enter that sweepstakes thing.

They always used to make that North Americans only.

Struggling to think of other ways to promote this other than the ways you have already mentioned.

lecherousjester
Jul 17, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

Should we crosspost in GBS? That would probably be good for simple vote volume.

I asked sba and he hasn't said anything yet so I'm guessing it's probably not a good idea. I'll just wait to hear some confirmation from a mod or admin before I do it.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Took time out of the busy, busy day to spend 10-15 voting for my favorite man named Rory.

|||||||
Aug 19, 2004

I'm not Chemmy
Done and done, I also took the time to write in Tucker for the East.

JungleMan
Apr 6, 2004

I sent the link along to Team 1200 in Ottawa - I'll try a few different angles to get an on-air mention.

T-Bozz Factor
Apr 28, 2003
most definitely not gonna vote rory

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Ozz-Factor posted:

most definitely not gonna vote rory

translation: I am a humourless cow

T-Bozz Factor
Apr 28, 2003

mennoknight posted:

translation: I am a humourless cow

i'm working on levels of irony you can't even begin to understand

SHUTUP CUNT
Jun 22, 2006

by Lowtax
I'll vote for him but only if all evidence of him playing for Buffalo is erased from history

with that aside, I have chosen a fairly biased eastern wave of relentless deception vs the ideal combination from the west.

Afinogenov, Briere, Drury, Campbell, Tallinder, Miller
vs.
Havlat, Nash, Naslund, Niedermayer (Fitzpatrick), Phaneuf, Luongo.

:laugh:

SHUTUP CUNT fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 20, 2006

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Ozz-Factor posted:

i'm working on levels of irony you can't even begin to understand

I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

funmanguy posted:

I don't get it.

Ozz-Factor is a Hurricanes fan. Rory's defensive ineptitude lead directly to their game winning goal in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. I'd imagine Rory is something of a folk-hero to Carolina fans.