Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«82 »
MyNameIsJeff
Dec 5, 2003

P-P-P-Powerbook.com!

I think I will just put all this information you guys uncovered in an email to him.

Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002

For someone who lives in the UK he sure has poor English skills. Sounds more like Engrish.

Diocletian
Jul 4, 2003

quote:

MyNameIsJeff came out of the closet to say:

Hello I am very interested in your unit.

He's only interested in your unit, man. Anyway, I would try to string him along in a series of funny e-mails..but I'm not witty or creative. :(

Edit: god damnit, beaten like 14 replies ago.

Diocletian fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2004 around 16:24

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.
This is how Davos feels all the time.

quote:

7.62WorldOrder came out of the closet to say:
For someone who lives in the UK he sure has poor English skills. Sounds more like Engrish.
Read the thread, man. He teaches Interior Design at Indiana State University.

Jeff, you can reach him by telephone. Check http://web.indstate.edu/fcs/facstaff.html for his name, and they've got a phone number listed there. I won't post it here, but if you want it... that's how to find the number.

MyNameIsJeff
Dec 5, 2003

P-P-P-Powerbook.com!

quote:

CapnAndy came out of the closet to say:
Read the thread, man. He teaches Interior Design at Indiana State University.

Jeff, you can reach him by telephone. Check http://web.indstate.edu/fcs/facstaff.html for his name, and they've got a phone number listed there. I won't post it here, but if you want it... that's how to find the number.

Thanks! I think I will contact
Dr. Frederica Kramer

Chairperson, Professor, Teacher Education

Seriously.

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran

I think you guys are too sceptical. With a mission statement like this: "Our mission statement is: to bring a sound transaction of a seller and buyer to a quick conclusion." I think you can probably trust them.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

quote:

kdevil II came out of the closet to say:
I think you guys are too sceptical. With a mission statement like this: "Our mission statement is: to bring a sound transaction of a seller and buyer to a quick conclusion." I think you can probably trust them.

...trust him to club you with a nightstick, sodomize you and steal you wallet?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.

quote:

Thanks! I think I will contact
Dr. Frederica Kramer

You think she wants an iBook too? :confused:

Seriously, though, go for it, and enjoy. I just love watching yet another rear end in a top hat who tried to gently caress the goons get speed-hacked and have his life's details laid bare. :)

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love

College Slice

This is amazing.. in mere minutes you guys have (possibly) tracked this guy down.

Yay goons.

inveratulo
May 14, 2002
wat

i'm a dumbarse.. but anyway, this guy is from Thailand, that would explain his broken English.

inveratulo fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2004 around 16:29

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran

quote:

Sputnik came out of the closet to say:

...trust him to club you with a nightstick, sodomize you and steal you wallet?

That is just silly. Look at this:

quote:

A pretty trustworthy FAQ came out of the closet to say:

Q - Is using escrow services secure for me?

A - Our past experience shows it is much more secure to use escrow when selling or buying something.

How can you question facts and experience Mr Sputnik???

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003
If I don't stop the whole jerk act, I will be banned. Please report me for being a jerk if I am acting like one.

^^^ my thoughts exactly (any sites we can archive? :))^^^

quote:

Fantastic Idea! I think I'll go list it now! Oh wai
I meant rather than dealing with this idiot and his escrow service (which now turns out to be more than fake).

The question is, should we gently caress with him now?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.

quote:

FunkyBunny came out of the closet to say:
The question is, should we gently caress with him now?
Ehhh, it's a minor infraction. Let Jeff have his fun, there's no need for the rest of us to jump in.

Jack Datsun
Oct 15, 2002

Subscribed. I want to see this all go down!

TaintSupportSc0tt
Jan 12, 2001

Tastes like moms!

I passionately hate scammers. I hope this fucks this rear end in a top hat over.

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003
If I don't stop the whole jerk act, I will be banned. Please report me for being a jerk if I am acting like one.

quote:

Ehhh, it's a minor infraction. Let Jeff have his fun, there's no need for the rest of us to jump in.
Fraud is a minor infraction now?

oh yeah, and

quote:

I think I will just put all this information you guys uncovered in an email to him.
DON'T DO IT YET! Just go along with his emails. See if he'll send you the money for shipping first, maybe you can get some cash outta this.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.

quote:

Bald-faced fraud that was never that believable, with such piss-poor security that we waltzed through it in less than ten minutes? It's hardly an lsass situation. It's not minor for Jeff, which is why I'm providing him every tool of revenge I can. For the goons at large, it's a minor thing. One of our own was hosed with, we hosed back harder, game over. No need for everyone to jump in and start making threatening phone calls, is what I was trying to say.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Grimey Drawer

quote:

It's him. After checking mapquest and the ISU webpage, I found out that the given address for the web page (851 Foxcrest Court # A) is about 4 1/2 miles away from Indiana University (probably less, I was measuring to the visitor's parking lot). Maybe somebody should let ISU know what one of their professors is doing?

Oh, and is anyone else having lsass flashbacks? 3/17 NEVAR FORGET!!!

Or the information could be fake and the professor guy could have nothing to do with it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Oy Gevalt!
Apr 15, 2003

Find one in every car.

quote:

DON'T DO IT YET! Just go along with his emails. See if he'll send you the money for shipping first, maybe you can get some cash outta this.

I don't see how he'd get any cash out of a nonexistant escrow company.

P.S. finding an abuse contact for Yahoo's webhosting is a pain. I haven't had any luck yet -- all I've found is a general non-business related yahoo abuse contact and the name/website of a hosting company in Austrailia that Yahoo farms hosting out to.

drags
Apr 7, 2003

by Ozma

quote:

oh yeah, and

No, but it's a small incident, which might not have even been perpetrated by the professor (OMG REGISTERING A DOMAIN WITH FAKE DETAILS HOLY CRAP WHEN DID THAT START). Why not just let Jeff take care of it, and if anything comes from it, he can make us a nice e/n thread or something.

----------------

Heners_UK
Jun 1, 2002

quote:

This is a truley lovely idea, my right honourable friend. Its dicey at best whether that itself is fraud.

Personally, just bust him.

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

Heners_UK came out of the closet to say:
This is a truley lovely idea, my right honourable friend. Its dicey at best whether that itself is fraud.

Personally, just bust him.
Yes, but it's really hard to bust someone without turning yourself in.

Kind of like those people who call the cops to tell them someone stole their heroin.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

I say call this fucker's superiors and let them know the type of person he is. This guy deserves no mercy.
[cobra kai]no mercy! no mercy! no mercy![/cobra kai]

----------------

The_Onion
Oct 1, 2003

just a Vivian Girl, livin' in lonely world

I think you should go along with it for a while then ship the guy a jar or piss/poo poo or something equally horrible.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.

quote:

withak came out of the closet to say:
Or the information could be fake and the professor guy could have nothing to do with it.
Decent point, but if somebody did just pick a name and address out of the phone book, the guy needs to know about the identity theft. Either way him and Jeff have to have a talk.

Jeff, would you mind posting the original "buyer"'s email address, so we can see what can be dug up from it?

KTF
Jun 10, 2002

Once again the power of the forums rears its head. Amazing that you have seemingly tracked this guy down...

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

The_Onion came out of the closet to say:
I think you should go along with it for a while then ship the guy a jar or piss/poo poo or something equally horrible.
We have this anthrax, you die now...

Oy Gevalt!
Apr 15, 2003

Find one in every car.

Edit: Never mind, if he wants to mess with him, getting his site pulled would be counterproductive.

Oy Gevalt! fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2004 around 16:49

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

quote:

Thenipwax came out of the closet to say:
I say call this fucker's superiors and let them know the type of person he is. This guy deserves no mercy.
[cobra kai]no mercy! no mercy! no mercy![/cobra kai]

MERCY IS FOR THE WEAK! FEAR DOES NOT EXIST IN THIS WEBFORUM!

Big Mark
Feb 4, 2003
eighties computer game avatar

quote:

Organization = Set LTD Inc.
I think that's the first time I've seen ltd and inc in a company name.

MyNameIsJeff
Dec 5, 2003

P-P-P-Powerbook.com!

Here is the email I plan on sending:

Well, the funniest thing just happened! It seems while signing up for you obviously trustworthy escrow site, I must have clicked the wrong link or something because the strangest thing happened!

Domain Name.......... set-ltd.net
Creation Date........ 2004-04-16
Registration Date.... 2004-04-16
Expiry Date.......... 2005-04-16
Organisation Name.... Saral Surakul
Organisation Address. 851 Foxcrest Court # A
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Terre Haute
Organisation Address. 47803
Organisation Address. IN
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

check the verisign secureid link, it's just a javascript pop-up which pretends to be going to verisign's site. The actual page it displays is just http://www.set-ltd.net/VeriSign.php

Hmm, I wonder how verisign will react to know that you have a fraudulent verisign secure id!

"Set-LTD.net is an independent escrow company based in London, UK."

You know, if I found out that you were trying to scam me. . . I . . . I donít think I know what I would do! I would just want to die.

Could it be this Saral Surakul?
http://www.indstate.edu/fcs/facprof_surakul.html
Indiana State university is in Terra Haute!

Office Location
FCS 104A
Telephone
812-237-3314
hesaral@isugw.indstate.edu

Is this your boss?
Dr. Frederica Kramer
Telephone
812-237-3297
hekramer@isugw.indstate.edu

What should I do?

Anything I should add?

Seriously.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

^^I think you need to have more fun with this guy before giving him a textual kick to the balls.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Personally I'd play along and offer to ship the Mac, get his address to confirm those details, then either report him, or ship something nasty in a laptop-shaped box. It's getting near wasp season, right?

karmaflux
Feb 26, 2004

by Lowtax

^^^^no, you don't want to screw with him; that poo poo can get you in trouble.

Send it off. See how he reacts. POST HIS RESPONSE

----------------

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think you need to go along and get an Address of where to mail this thing before you take him down.

^^^^ Beaten :(

MyNameIsJeff
Dec 5, 2003

P-P-P-Powerbook.com!

quote:

Safrax came out of the closet to say:
^^I think you need to have more fun with this guy before giving him a textual kick to the balls.

too right. *email saved*
I am writing another one to string him along. Post any ideas. I think I'll play along with the "newbie ebayer who hardly know how the internet works" thing.

Seriously.

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love

College Slice

quote:

too right. *email saved*
I am writing another one to string him along. Post any ideas. I think I'll play along with the "newbie ebayer who hardly know how the internet works" thing.

Ask him if it's ok if you ship him a small item, just to see if the escrow service works. Mail him a fork or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

^^^ that'll give it away too quickly ^^^

quote:

too right. *email saved*
Just reply as overly eager and pretend that him sending you this email was the best thing that ever happened because now you can get some money to pay for that life saving surgery for your orphaned cousin of some minority.

And of course, ask for instructions on how to proceed further.

«82 »