Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Wastebasket
Apr 15, 2003

Ask me about reliving my virginity
I found this on Metafilter and spent half the day reading this thread yesterday. I was on the edge of my seat even though I knew the outcome. Thanks for entertaining me on an otherwise normal Friday afternoon. I look forward to more threads where others try to scam the scammers. Sounds like a new game.

Excellent work MyNameIsJeff and the rest of the Goon Recon Squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

quote:

Angelfck came out of the closet to say:
I found this on Metafilter and spent half the day reading this thread yesterday. I was on the edge of my seat even though I knew the outcome. Thanks for entertaining me on an otherwise normal Friday afternoon. I look forward to more threads where others try to scam the scammers. Sounds like a new game.

Excellent work MyNameIsJeff and the rest of the Goon Recon Squad.

Too late...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1049091

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
http://www.cafeshops.com/jeanclimaxpro :raise:

Yaos posted:

Jippa posted:

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly."
Actually LEDs can burn brighter than incandescent bulbs and last much longer while using less electricity. Although they don't actually burn, the light is generated by electrons. In fact, that quote is completely wrong.

Jakabite posted:

The main thing that attracted me was, admittedly, the 'OH WOW NINJAS' thing, but since then I've found a lot of great things about it and it does get annoying when people just assume it's some LOLNINJAS totally kawaii thing. If you look past the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pop culture thing built around ninjutsu, it really is a great martial art, and has a fascinating history too.

Atomic Edge
Apr 10, 2004

"Ho ho ho, Aunt Alicia!"
cafeshops is a good Idea but maybe mynameisjeff should put up a P-P-P-Powerbook! Store, seeing as he created it. I'd be up for a P-P-P-Powerbook! mug.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

quote:

lapsey came out of the closet to say:

Hahaha, that stuff is great.

quote:

Atomic Edge came out of the closet to say:
cafeshops is a good Idea but maybe mynameisjeff should put up a P-P-P-Powerbook! Store, seeing as he created it. I'd be up for a P-P-P-Powerbook! mug.

He could make a living recreating P-P-P-Powerbooks..well, for a few weeks at least.

MyNameIsJeff
Dec 5, 2003

P-P-P-Powerbook.com!
Do any of you have any webspace to mirror the site? As it spreads I am running out of bandwidth.

Contact me for the files.
aim - mynameisjeph
msm - mynameisnitsu@hotmail.com

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Farked.

PMed with a hosting option...

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Teh Mark
Nov 22, 2001
If its under 30 megs I can host it unlimitedly with my UNI hosting

----------------<br><i>This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!</i><br>

dumbmrblah
May 31, 2003

^ its about 1 meg, here are the files rared up:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/dumbmrblah/powerbookmirror.rar

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/dumbmrblah/Scamming the Scammer.htm

Rape my providers bandwidth.

dumbmrblah fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 15, 2004

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
This is great but why PDF? :( A lot of people won't click PDFs.

Edit: Wow, this really is getting a lot of coverage: :google: (Click)

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 15, 2004

Str8Dog
Apr 7, 2004

quote:

pigdog came out of the closet to say:
Farked.

PMed with a hosting option...

that explains it.... gently caress I got raped hard..

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
I can't say this enough: I love this loving place.

I read the thread up until the fake was sent. I was extremely busy after that and I just finished a fantastic few hours of reading. You guys are incredible. I have never laughed so hard in my life.

Thanks everyone for making my year.

Redmonkey
Dec 31, 2003

OSU are like the jews wandering the Desert for 40 years, but just as they're about to leave the desert one guy says "hay I think I left something a
There needs to be an "Infamous" or "Legendary" thread rank reserved for threads that reach the greatness that this thread has reached.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

quote:

Redmonkey came out of the closet to say:
There needs to be an "Infamous" or "Legendary" thread rank reserved for threads that reach the greatness that this thread has reached.

P-P-P-Platinum?

----------------

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

quote:

Wandering Idiot came out of the closet to say:

P-P-P-Platinum?

Well, you hit that nail right on the head.

----------------

Wheeler
Nov 24, 2003

This might be the best thread I've ever seen.

telloc
May 20, 2001

cult of personality

quote:

Wheeler came out of the closet to say:
This might be the best thread ever.

I fixed it for us all.

Char: "When you frown your eyes give you a piercing icy stare, when you grin they give the grin an evil tint"

acatinapaperbag
Feb 6, 2004

Shopping!

quote:

lapsey came out of the closet to say:

I want a shirt with the Jean Climax sign on the back, and the P-p-p-powerbook on the front left pocket

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Holy poo poo, this got Metafiltered AND BoingBoinged?!

My favorite comment from MeFi:

quote:

Also, someone else on SA forums proposed the "notebook" computer idea. Kudos for pulling it off, but its like this was a forum activity more than a personal one. scary.

Hardcore Phonography
Apr 28, 2004

I have my eye on a suite in Baker Street.
Mirrored at WSU

Edit: Oh, changed the .htm file to point to the pdf on my server, no point in redirecting to another site that might not have unlimited .edu access.

Hardcore Phonography fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 15, 2004

nau
Jun 26, 2003
Ive been quietly lurking this thread, I just wish we would hear from this guy. :(

Great work to everybody. Someone on AIM actually just IMed me with a Fark link to it. :rolleyes:

Hardcore Phonography
Apr 28, 2004

quote:

nau came out of the closet to say:
Ive been quietly lurking this thread, I just wish we would hear from this guy. :(

Great work to everybody. Someone on AIM actually just IMed me with a Fark link to it. :rolleyes:

Someone on AIM needs to be introduced to Mr. Block File.

nau
Jun 26, 2003

quote:

doctormidnight came out of the closet to say:

Someone on AIM needs to be introduced to Mr. Block File.

My co-workers over the school year were all farkers. It was disgusting. :(

Harry Hood
Jan 1, 2004

my flow snatches the earth off its axis
This is so awesome. No closure yet though?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Mirror

http://members.cox.net/redxxll/ScammingtheScammer.htm

If you notice something messed up on my mirror plz tell me. I don't have a fancy shmancy site or anything, but I figured it might help since Cox gives me near unlimited amounts of bandwidth that goes unused.

I really can't believe all the coverage this is getting. Nice work fellas.

Crimson fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 15, 2004

b3wn
Apr 15, 2003

polkarooo!
Good read!

I wonder if he will change his s-s-s-scamming ways. :q:

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
by far the best time I spent hours on one thread. Just knowing the guy lost his money he spent in taxes is great, even if we dont hear back from him. Amazing the amount of attention this has gotten from other sites as well. Hats off to everyone involved to a job well done.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
This thread needs its own sub-forum. For users of P-P-P-Powerbooks!

----------------

slavezero
Jul 11, 2001
hah, I haven't been following this thread, but I saw it on https://www.macintouch.com. funny poo poo.

H0TSauce
Mar 12, 2002

jesus christ, it's EVERYWHERE!

http://www.google.ca/search?q=p-p-p-powerbook&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
P-P-P-Powerbook is bigger than the internet.

elister
Dec 29, 2001

by Mayor Wilkins
Thanks for the PDF, I didnt want to read through 80 pages of posts.

Man, this is loving hilarious!

----------------

alex4.0
Feb 20, 2001

fnord

quote:

maus came out of the closet to say:
Holy poo poo, this got Metafiltered AND BoingBoinged?!

My favorite comment from MeFi:

quote:

Also, someone else on SA forums proposed the "notebook" computer idea. Kudos for pulling it off, but its like this was a forum activity more than a personal one. scary.
My favourite from FARK:

quote:

2004-05-15 02:26:57 PM Brockway

Given all the time and costs associated with this effort, it would have been more economical and efficient just to give the scammer the real powerbook.
I don't get it. :(

Also can someone explain why they don't like PDFs? I thought they were a Good Thing. A hell of a lot easier to read than an unedited plaintext dump in two posts of the entire document ... those crazy fark people!

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
This is the reason that I love SA so much. We make the stuff of internet legend.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

alex4.0 came out of the closet to say:
My favourite from FARK:

What a hotbed of intelligence.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I read this a few days ago, and it convinced me to register an account. Just brilliant.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Fark is the internets sink trap, it collects all the useless poo poo in one place to keep it from cloggin up the pipes.

Benefice
Jan 26, 2003

Fnord
Also from Metafilter:

quote:

something awful sucks. i'm blocking all referrers from them. the members link to my sites constantly (particularly my mirrors), gobbling up my bandwidth, and when i backtrack to the referring page i am always informed that i must fork $9.95 to view the page. well, good. when they all send me $9.95 each, i'll allow them to link my site from there. apparently, when a good opportunity for self-promotion comes along, as with this ebay scammer, he allows free access to that particular forum. well, sorry jeffy, the free ride on meepzorp is over.
posted by quonsar at 7:58 AM PST on May 14

So Lowtax gave SA to Jeff for this? :confused:

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

quote:

BloodForOdin came out of the closet to say:
This thread needs its own sub-forum. For users of P-P-P-Powerbooks!

I hate those snobby P-P-P-Powerbook users. They're so consumed by their flashy binder exterior they don't even care what's on the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcore Phonography
Apr 28, 2004

quote:

alex4.0 came out of the closet to say:

My favourite from FARK:
I don't get it. :(

Also can someone explain why they don't like PDFs? I thought they were a Good Thing. A hell of a lot easier to read than an unedited plaintext dump in two posts of the entire document ... those crazy fark people!

I don't like .pdf files that aren't clearly labeled as such in the description, because clicking on one automatically opens up an IE/Firefox tab that takes about a decade to load, and occasionally crashes my browser(s). I just hate always having to check the path and saying "Oh, it's a PDF, better right click and save as." Hmph, I'm just lazy I guess.

Hardcore Phonography fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 15, 2004