Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

Based on this man's English, I find it hard to believe he's from the UK. At the very least, English is not his first language.

I'd tell him to use the ebay sanctioned escrow or paypal, and nothing else. Or tell him any other method he wants to use has to result with cash in your hand before you ship the laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

I'm wondering if claiming a low dollar value is just a way to make whatever "authorities" (ebay, shipper, etc) care less about the package when they see such a low value. For example, fraud for $20 doesn't sound nearly as bad as fraud for $2100.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

This scammer does have a way of getting Mynameisjeff's real address. I don't know how much "revenge" he would be interested in though.

Since the scammer has Jeff's ebay username he could legitimately bid on a future auction and when the package is sent, he has Jeff's address because Jeff thinks it's a regular ebayer (if there is such a thing).

I don't think he's insane enough to do this, just my $.02 worth

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

quote:

Thunderstorm came out of the closet to say:
1. Install backdoors on their computers. Try to get a monitor on the whole network. Maybe he uses a cheap hub to network the machines, then a simple network sniffer will do. Else it could help what kinda router he is using to connect to the internet.

I'm not sure of the laws in the UK, but in the US this would be a very bad idea. Committing a crime against a criminal is still a crime, and any computer related crime is subject to "being made an example" and the law wouldn't look any more highly on us than the scammer.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

If he's still replying now, we can definitely expect a response from him when he opens the package. (oh please!)

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

I think it might be possible that requesting money might get Jeff in more trouble than it would the scammer. Funny? yes, but it might just complicate things if there is an investigation.

Just a thought, I guess. I just wouldn't want to see Jeff get into too much trouble because he unleashed a squadron of goons on the scammer, whether the scammer deserves it or not.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

I'm pretty sure he'll know this is Jeff's laptop because he had to pay customs a good chunk of cash for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

We should send one in Romanian, courtesy of our translator.

Hell, we should send it in as many languages as we can because there's plenty of people here who speak English as a second language.

Just a single line or quote at the bottom of the letter to let the scammer know that all the letters say the same thing. The multiple languages would just blow his mind at the perceived level of organization Jeff's "people" have.