Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
Its always nice to see the power of the forums at work. Keep up the good work. Hopefully we can get this dipshit good.

Lithium Hosting - Reliable, Affordable, Feature Packed Web Hosting
The only hosting company to offer 30-day Free Trial on top of a 90-day money back guarantee!

Give Lithium DNS a try, it's free and easy to use!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

karmaflux came out of the closet to say:
This guy?
That would be too easy. It can't be him. Plus the location from the auctions he was the seller of is Austin, Texas.

The only hosting company to offer 30-day Free Trial on top of a 90-day money back guarantee!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

Dr. VonHugenstein came out of the closet to say:
This guy apparently gets around. Googling that address gets at least two pseudonyms using that location to perpetuate fraud:

http://www.auctionblacklist.com/view_fraud.php?case_id=86

http://www.auctionblacklist.com/view_fraud.php?case_id=182

It also reveals a barber shop at that address--with a phone number:

Jean Climax
9b Varley Parade
London NW9 6RR
Tel: (020 8905 9244)

click the second link and read a bit, you will see this

quote:

this guy Benone asked me what his best price would be (through Ebay contact system) and if I could ship the laptop to London England.
Sound Familiar?

Also, there is always a chance that the professor is in on the whole scam. They could be buddies and the prof runs the site and splits the profits with this other guy. Lets not forget about him yet, its always a possiblity.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Obviously what you should do is ship your phone book and declare the value of the laptop. Then he will pay out the wazoo in taxes on a loving phonebook. Make sure to include a little not that you know about the scam he is trying to pull and the proper authorities have been contacted. Then relist your item and sell on ebay.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

Hamburglar came out of the closet to say:

Try shipping it with a real computer part, like an old non working CD Rom drive. That way in the rare instance someone from customes DOES open it (doubt it) they will see a computer part and move along.

This won't be an issue if you don't use your real name or address on the shipping form.

Make up an address, or use an old address or a neighbors address. You don't want the buyer to find you, and you don't want customs to find you either.

quote:

k_killmore came out of the closet to say:
I did find this googling around:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/fraud.htm

They probably just got added since the site is at the bottom of the list.
This was posted a few pages back.

quote:

danslemur came out of the closet to say:

How about books? Bottles of water would also be heavy.
Liquid would be noticable if they shook it or x rayed it. customs would have a hay day. VVVVVV

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 27, 2004

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

danslemur came out of the closet to say:

How about books? Bottles of water would also be heavy.

edit:

What's wrong with liquid? Also, if it is legitimate, it's not bonus that you get $2100 from someone and send them crap. This is when you feel bad and send them the real laptop with apologies. Sending a fake laptop is fraud if the buyer is actually sending the money.
If you say you are shipping a laptop and you can hear liquid inside, or see it on an x-ray, they will get suspicious and open the box and see the fake laptop. As far as keeping the money if any magically showed up, just forget about it. It would never happen anyways, its a fact that this guy is a fraud.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

Sinless came out of the closet to say:

Not meaning to be a paranoid dumbass, but logging on to your forums account at an Internet Cafe that is associated to a scammer who steals accounts might be a bad idea. They may have a keystroke logger on the computers. Possibly this is how the ebay accounts were stolen. Change your password on NOW!
Changing his password while logged in on their computers would be equally stupid.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

Sinless came out of the closet to say:

He said his next post is going to be from his house.
Good deal, I agree. Time to change password.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
I think you should get his correct phone #, tell him you tried calling him to let him know the tracking #. You were very excited that the deal was nearly complete and wanted to tell him on the phone, but obviously you must have written down his phone # wrong. Then you at least have it for later use.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

Refugee came out of the closet to say:
Actually I've been thinking. We know when the delivery will be. We have evidence of everything for the deliver, including how we know it's a scam.

So (as a UK Goon) I was thinking of just telling the police about the delivery address, including the Fed Ex number, the delivery address and time. We're not going to stop him, this is fun, but from the looks of it we're either going to do one of two things;

1)Lose the package in Europe
2)Not get any form of money shot

So I say, we tell the police/fraud people ASAP (IE Thursday), and let them take one scammer (Capable of scamming lots of people) out of the system, at least for a while.

Not only that, but I'm sure we could alert a few papers in this country, too.

Unfortunately, the only way to prove that this was actually a scam is if the laptop was actually shipped and this guy didn't send the money. Maybe see how this goes and then possibly involve the police and ship the real laptop and if he doesn't pay then the police can deal with it.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

Yossarko came out of the closet to say:
You guys are probably right on the email. The delivery is only a day away now anyway and by the time he notices the escrow site is down, he probably already paid tax.
The tax has nothing to do with the escrow site. No matter what happens, unless he finds out he is being shipped a fake laptop, he will pay that tax. He thinks he won and successfully scammed another ebayer.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
I think the only way customs wood give a flying gently caress is if they x-rayed a laptop that was valued at $5.00. Then they would open it and see that it was really worth more. I am sure if they see a package labeled Laptop Computer or Notebook or whatever and valued at $2000+, they won't even consider opening it.

Good thread, can't wait till tomorrow.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Thread Archived up to pahnub's post. Will post link whenever

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
You know, this guy might just say gently caress it. He isn't paying Jeff for the package, so he isn't out anything if he decides not to pay the tax. If anything, he might be just as happy thinking he hosed some American out of a Powerbook and letting it rot in customs.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

sven523 came out of the closet to say:

If he didn't pay the tax it would probably be sent back to the sender rather than rotting in customs. He probably knows this so I doubt he would think he's loving anyone out of a Powerbook.
It won't go back to the sender unless the sender pays for return shipping. Remember Jeff said the Lady at the shipping place said that if it doesn't get delivered it will get shipped back, but it has to be paid for?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
I have archived this entire thread up to now, If someone has hosting with poo poo loads of bandwidth, I would be more than happy to upload it, otherwise I might torrent it but don't really have the bandwidth to support all the leeches in the world. PM me with upload info, file is approximately 35-40 mb with all videos and images.

Edit: thats a lot of commas, leaving them in for comedy factor!
Edit2: gently caress it, I will torrent it for now, I will run it for a day or 2 and hopefully you guys can help me seed it.

Download Torrent81 (1 file; 34.36M)
View Torrent Stats81

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 6, 2004

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

liquorhead came out of the closet to say:

Understood, but he didn't sell a work of art, he sold a computer.
Just forget about, what difference does it make? Its already been shipped and nothing will change that. Lets all just sit tight and wait for a status update on the package and quit trashing up this thread. Plus, nothing was sold. This transaction was based on an illegal Escrow site.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

MyNameIsJeff came out of the closet to say:

Agreed. If I don't receive an email here soon, we will call it an end to this saga.
I am going to be posting an updated archive of this thread. Please let me know when you feel it is done so I know when to post the link.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Updating archive up to this point. Will not do another update until we hear from gently caress face.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

quote:

MyNameIsJeff came out of the closet to say:

Sounds good. Are you going to torrent?
Yes, I will be torrenting again. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. Once again tho, I will need someone to mirror a direct link, hopefully someone with university/college unlimited bandwidth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
either way it was an awesome thread. one of the best threads I have seen in my time here at SA. Jeff just let me know when you consider this done and I will post my archive of the thread.