Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003
If I don't stop the whole jerk act, I will be banned. Please report me for being a jerk if I am acting like one.

Just sell it on ebay, I'm sure you'll find a buyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003
If I don't stop the whole jerk act, I will be banned. Please report me for being a jerk if I am acting like one.

^^^ my thoughts exactly (any sites we can archive? :))^^^

quote:

MyNameIsJeff came out of the closet to say:

Fantastic Idea! I think I'll go list it now! Oh wai
I meant rather than dealing with this idiot and his escrow service (which now turns out to be more than fake).

The question is, should we gently caress with him now?

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

CapnAndy came out of the closet to say:
Ehhh, it's a minor infraction. Let Jeff have his fun, there's no need for the rest of us to jump in.
Fraud is a minor infraction now?

oh yeah, and

quote:

I think I will just put all this information you guys uncovered in an email to him.
DON'T DO IT YET! Just go along with his emails. See if he'll send you the money for shipping first, maybe you can get some cash outta this.

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

Heners_UK came out of the closet to say:
This is a truley lovely idea, my right honourable friend. Its dicey at best whether that itself is fraud.

Personally, just bust him.
Yes, but it's really hard to bust someone without turning yourself in.

Kind of like those people who call the cops to tell them someone stole their heroin.

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

The_Onion came out of the closet to say:
I think you should go along with it for a while then ship the guy a jar or piss/poo poo or something equally horrible.
We have this anthrax, you die now...

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

^^^ that'll give it away too quickly ^^^

quote:

too right. *email saved*
I am writing another one to string him along. Post any ideas. I think I'll play along with the "newbie ebayer who hardly know how the internet works" thing.
Just reply as overly eager and pretend that him sending you this email was the best thing that ever happened because now you can get some money to pay for that life saving surgery for your orphaned cousin of some minority.

And of course, ask for instructions on how to proceed further.

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

Thanos came out of the closet to say:

Well, he needs to at least let Professor Guy know that someone is using his name to register fraudulent escrow sites.
Yes, but that can wait till after on the off chance that this professor is the dumbest person alive. I mean, for all we know, he could have brought this on himself.

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

evilweasel came out of the closet to say:

Professors in the United States speak better english than whoever wrote that email.
I disagree.

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

^^^ yea, that makes tons of sense... ^^^

quote:

karmaflux came out of the closet to say:
Yeah, the ascii wave is from a user called "fersanmur" for instance. We gently caress your privacy laws here in the states.

Edit: msalamon( 227) **** BEWERTUNGEN BITTE NICHT VERGESSEN ****

German goons, wtf does that mean? Something please no something?
It means something along the lines of "bear in mind" or "not to mention"
EDIT: about evalutations (forgot the bewertungen). Essentially don't forget about them.

FunkyBunny fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2004 around 17:59

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

Davedave24 came out of the closet to say:

"please don't forget evaluations"
Ah, thanks. I forgot what bitte means... (I'm one of the morons who translater earlier)

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

Davedave24 came out of the closet to say:

three years of highschool german and this is the only use i've gotten out of it since graduation :p
My grandparents are german, but I haven't spoken german to them in probably 15 years now that they know english.

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

Ok, first of all, you MUST send a crappy $10 laptop after you've beat the poo poo out of it and painted it white in a VERY crude attempt to make it look like an apple.

Mark the package full price to screw him out of money, he'll pay because he's stupid.

THEN: Print out every single page of this thread and include it.

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

Actually, before all this goes down, if you guys are going to be collecting evidence, you might want to archive his site (ACTUALLY archive his site, not the SA "archive" his site) for proof, because it'll probably get torn down pretty quickly and changed. Also keep things like the whois information and anything else pertinent.

EDIT: and as for my idea of sending a printout of the thread, what I would suggest is really just sending the highlights and editing out obvious leads back to SA. It'll be nice for the guy to be retardedly shocked that he's a moron.

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

dcsmrgun came out of the closet to say:
Not to spoil anyone's fun, because I've been laughing my rear end off at this thread for the last half hour, but insuring a binder for $2100 can't possibly be legal.

I'd be very careful about what you send and what you insure it at. I doubt Customs agents who investigate fraud would be lollerstaking as hard as we are.
It has sentimental value roughly equal to $2100. I see no problems...

EDIT: plus, I don't believe he's insuring it for $2100. Just declaring it's value at that for customs

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

I thought you were going to send him a fake one?

quote:

ChlamydiaJones came out of the closet to say:
Holy poo poo that's the funniest spoof on the planet ever in history. I couldn't stop laughing at "fire wire" for some reason.

Just ask for shipping help.
I'm a bigger fan of "LASER!" personally...

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

CapnAndy came out of the closet to say:
Heh, I'm sitting here just being madly amused at what a bit of hacking on page 1 turned into. Somebody really does need to call that professor and tell him about the identity theft, y'know...
There really seems to be alot more wrong than that anyways.

So far, with what's come up in this thread, the operation seems relatively sophisticated:

1. identity theft on ebay account
2. fairly complex fake escrow service - I mean, he set up all the forms and all with fake account crap and everything. Which is more than I can say for many other lazy scammers. Sure there was tell tale signs, but a great deal of them you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for them (which we were)
3. probable mail scam involving mail forwarding from patsy - which I wouldn't be too worried about screwing him out of cash, because it seems like this is a regular patsy given the address's location in other scam attempts. So he probably gets paid for the mail forwarding BEFORE he sends it off or he wouldn't have kept doing it. He'll probably just take his commission off the top like that scam site said
4. proxy'd email[internet activities really] - I highly doubt that this guy has anything to do with romania in general unless by coincidence.

We'd also be better served finding out where this guy lives by asking the barber shop guy where he's sending the package. Who knows, if the guy is some sort of patsy, after told what's going on, he might be more than willing to help out.

There's really alot of options with this.

EDIT: HEY! Maybe the barber shop IS the escrow service... (you know, since you're supposed to send the package to the escrow to have it delivered, and not to the client itself)

FunkyBunny fucked around with this message at Apr 29, 2004 around 00:43

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

UnnamedPlayer came out of the closet to say:
This thread has ruined a good night's sleep but it was worth it. Subscribed and on the edge of my loving seat.

BTW, who's our man in Romania?
I'm willing to fly anywhere in the world if people foot the bill and give me a cool watch with a laser beam...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyBunny
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

Ridgely_Fan came out of the closet to say:

Why don't you always assume 40?
That would make sense, because after all, only like 99% of forum members leave it on the default setting.