Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

I'm going to have to give you some of my "special medicine..."
Thread delivers. Eagerly awaiting update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Pipski came out of the closet to say:

Recon needed first

Aren't there any London goons who are willing to go eyeball the place?

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

RDevz came out of the closet to say:

Bags of sand, labelled "silicon chips to be"?

I'd be afraid of setting off a terror alert with bags of sand. How about taking the bottom metal part (is it called the shoe?) off a household iron and taping it in the middle?

Alternative: tire balance weights.

edit: Do you have the box the G4 originally came in? That would be a nice detail to include. Mr. Scammer opens the box and it's full of SWEET, SWEET JUSTICE.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

MyNameIsJeff came out of the closet to say:
Someone is a little anxious!

Send it! SEND IT! SEND HIS COMPUTAR MACHENE!

edit: Brilliant thread. Love it.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Shemp Howard came out of the closet to say:
That is the greatest notebook ever created. I laughed so hard I clapped. Bravo.

Hell yeah. I want one of those that's college ruled, for MORE STORAGE...

All kidding aside, have we categorically determined that no funds are forthcoming? The escrow site is def a confirmed fake?

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

FedEx normally requires a recipient name, address, and phone number...

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

gianluca came out of the closet to say:

gift or small value

Note the "please send gift or small value" crap. He's not anxious to pay any duties.

edit: Corrected attribution.

Dr.SchadenFreud fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 28, 2004

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Here is his email with his tracking number:
Hello again!
<snip>
When she said how much it is worth, I said, it is a family gift, but she said I couldn’t do that. She said I had to tell her how much I paid for it. I don’t want to get in trouble for mail fraud, or evading taxes or anything so I told her $2000.
<snip>

Thank you my friend!

Jeff

Good job on giving him the heads up. Now he has time to turn tricks, scam someone else, or do whatever else he can do to raise the money before the package arrives. Nearly laughing myself out of my chair now.

edit: Still laughing. When he opens the package...oh.my.god. Hilarity!

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Upuaut came out of the closet to say:
Mirrored : pics of Scamville, U.K.

Classy looking joint...how the hell does a place like this stay in business? Oh yeah, eBay scams. I forgot.

edit: Props to Pipski for the undercover action!

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Refugee came out of the closet to say:
81.196.100.243 <-- That's the computers IP, yes? If it's from the Cafe then it'll be a leased line of some sort, so checking it anytime could work?

If not, then it might reveal where he lives, if it was sent out of business hours. Unless it is the barber, in which case he'd just use his own machines anyway.

That IP is in Romania.

edit: Beaten.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

roger came out of the closet to say:

me confused

Do a traceroute on the IP.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

deebo came out of the closet to say:
Was reading paper this morning http://www.thewest.com.au/20040429/news/general/tw-news-general-home-sto124055.html had and article about mail scammers.

The more I think about it the more I think this place is just a mail forwarding service. If he's smart enough to use a proxy for his email, would he be dumb enough to give a home address, or a place where people could trace him from?

I was just thinking the same thing. I was shocked to see the email bounced off a hacked box--rather, I was *convinced* it would resolve to that shop's Internet terminals.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

AngryVictim came out of the closet to say:

You have the $2100 ready?

I hear set-ltd.net is a good escrow service..

Dr.SchadenFreud fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 29, 2004

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

sven523 came out of the closet to say:

I agree. Jeff is playing the part of the naive ebayer, but there is such a thing as overkill. The guy's getting hosed either way but we want him to be as surprised as possible when he gets his "powerbook." I think asking him why the escrow site is down so early is pushing it.

Agreed. With a real escrow service, you wouldn't be getting money until after the buyer decided the goods were okay anyway. It's premature to be complaining about https://www.iswearstogodsthisisrealescrows.ro being down.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Kilted Yaksman came out of the closet to say:
Is the time zone used from the source or the destination of the package, or is each time listed local? In other words: Tomorrow at noon or at 7AM (EDT)?

Delivery date should be local time.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Lukano came out of the closet to say:
Reason being is that this guy is a co-worker who works in our purchasing department, and he looks to be stealing stuff and selling it on ebay (mmm... personal goon justice)

Oh MAN is this the best thread ever! Now it's gonna spawn ANOTHER eBay crook thread! Bonus, voted 5!

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

How many floors in the building? Recall that the stairs went to a second floor in the Intarweb bistro.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Gizmo_Gun came out of the closet to say:
Why doesn't someone act like a "neighbor" with mail for box B, call the barber shop (or some other place near it as it might be safer that way) and say, "hey! What is your address? I'm squatting at my friend's flat and I got a letter that was put in the wrong mailbox. Do you know where this address is exactly?"

Edit: Even easier, you can call up the barber shop posing as a customer, ask for directions to their place. And then have them give you the address. It would suck to infiltrate the shop when its not the right place.

Google confirms barbershop address: "Jean Climax 9b Varley Parade London NW9 6RR"

edit: There's also a phone number. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NONE OF YOU IDIOTS CALL THE BARBERSHOP BEFORE THE PACKAGE ARRIVES, OKAY? Kthx.

Dr.SchadenFreud fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 29, 2004

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

WARNING:

The barbershop is almost definitely in on the scam.

REASONING:

This scam has been pulled multiple times with product shipped to the same address. Google shows that some names used have been Lipmeris Kostas, Benone Takini, and Gianluca Whatever. I seriously doubt that the proprietor would continue signing for packages after hearing about fraud--and he'd surely have heard about it. The theory that he's doing a favor for a regular is out the door as well, based on the fact that at least three different names have been used.

MORE INFO:

Is this guy our man?

Domain Name.......... pungaruv.com
Creation Date........ 2003-08-10
Registration Date.... 2003-08-10
Expiry Date.......... 2004-08-10
Organisation Name.... Pungasul Viteaz
Organisation Address. 4210 Ginghamsburg-W.Charleston Rd.
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Tipp City
Organisation Address. 45371
Organisation Address. OH
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... Pungasul Viteaz
Admin Address........ 4210 Ginghamsburg-W.Charleston Rd.
Admin Address........
Admin Address........ Tipp City
Admin Address........ 45371
Admin Address........ OH
Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
Admin Email.......... pungaruv@yahoo.com
Admin Phone.......... +1.8007797993
Admin Fax............

Note that pungaruv@yahoo.com was used in one of the scams!

Dr.SchadenFreud fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 30, 2004

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

paper pope hat came out of the closet to say:

I have no idea how this guy relates to anything and I have to leave home right now. However, I live about a half hour from that address. Just sayin'

If you were interested in looking it up in Mapquest, and not saying you would be, you'd enter it as:

4210 Ginghamsburg W Charleston Rd Tipp City, OH 45371-9007, US

I'd be curious to see what's at that address. It's a dead-end side road. Just sayin'.

edit: I called the phone number on the domain reg entry and it's Providian's credit card number automated service line.

Dr.SchadenFreud fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 30, 2004

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

loving Romanians. No offense intended to any non-eBay scamming Romanian goons.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

poppingseagull came out of the closet to say:
I too think someone should hang out at the nearest fedex. I doubt a repeat scammer such as this guy would be stupid enough to associate himself with an address. He probably has some trick up his sleeve such as going to the fedex and picking up thae item, as mentioned before, and this barbershop is just another fake address used by the scammer. If he does go to the fedex, what would he need to pick up the item? Credit card and id?

He would have to present ID. Would it be worth it to him to have fake ID made just for this package? I'm sure he's smart enough not to have used his real name. I'm still figuring that the barber is in on it and that someone will sign for the package at 9B.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

:lol::lol::lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol: Salt, meet wound. Wound, meet Mr. Salt.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

Eagerly awaiting news of angry email from "Gianluca."

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Faustus came out of the closet to say:

Actually that would be about the correct size IIRC.
Heck my Dell laptop box was even thicker then that.

MyNameIsJeff should be able to positively ID the box in the vid.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

The "P-P-P-P-Powerbook!" screensavers should nearly incite the proprietor to murder. I suppose he'll have some heated discussions with the customers in the cafe at the time... :lol:

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Blaise came out of the closet to say:

This was predicted back on page ~20 I believe. I believe the predicted outcome was him being offed by the romanian mob as soon as the horrid joke comes through.

Triple bonus points if the Romanian mob guy arrives at the Internet cafe and the screensavers are still flashing "P-P-P-P-Powerbook!"

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

1badkarma came out of the closet to say:
Yeah ok, I read it. But what about the FedEx tracker? Why hasn't it been updated?
I guess I'm just being a little doubtful about all this.

It takes FedEx a bit to update their online tracker.

edit: I would *LOVE* to know how the taxes were paid.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Maldoror came out of the closet to say:
As was mentioned previously, he'll get the tax bill later, probably within 1-2 weeks. I've gotten stuff shipped to me from FedEx before to the USA that had taxes on it, and I got the payment forms a little over a week later for each of them. I also know some people in forein countries where the same thing applied to them, so I'm sure that's what's going to happen this time.

What's funny is when he gets the bill, he'll have to pay it. He's going to have a hell of a time contesting it since it involves his criminal actions. :D

If he used his real name. If he used a fake name, then he probably won't care.

edit: I suppose that since the package *was* delivered, FedEx will be rather interested in collecting. MyNameIsJeff always has an out in that he was merely shipping to some stranger who bought off eBay. I guess FedEx will want to talk to the barber who signed for the box.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

schmuckfeatures came out of the closet to say:
This has been the best thread I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

Oh, MyNameIsJeff, if you don't hear anything within a couple of days maybe you should email our man in Romania saying "Well, did you get the P-P-P-P-Powerbook?"

:lol: *guffaw*

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

MyNameIsJeff, did you send the "Didja get your notebook?" email yet?

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Phalex came out of the closet to say:
You should blackmail him now, saying that he has to send you $2200USD or you'll report his Barbershop address. Then ship him a box with the value declared as $2200, and all it has in it is a piece of paper that says "You're Freedom"

Edit:

Read more of it.

Erm, might try that as, "your freedom."

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

I HAVE BAD NEWS.

The ringer was not delivered. I just called FedEx. It was never paid for. Probably because the jack rear end gave me a bunk phone number.

I got transferred to the International Rep but hung up before I got to them. :(

MyNameIsJeff, I thought you were able to ID the box from the video?

edit: What kind of loving *idiot* would scam a Powerbook all the way to the U.K. and then fail to pay the duties? The notebook would be the deal of the century, even after having to pay the fees.

Dr.SchadenFreud fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 30, 2004

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

I think MyNameIsJeff needs to send an indignant email to Gianluca, demanding to know why he hasn't paid the charges!

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Gizmo_Gun came out of the closet to say:
gently caress.

That probably means he's going to try and pick it up from FedEX or he's going to contact them someway and get the package.

poo poo. What can we do? Maybe tip off FedEX and tell them that he's scamming?

FedEx won't care. gently caress it, let him pick it up. He'll have to show ID if it's under a fake name. Regardless, he has to provide some method (stolen or not) of paying the duties. Let him go through all that trouble only to find that he has received a...P-P-P-P-P-PowerBook!

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

Str8Dog came out of the closet to say:
So it has been sitting there waiting for him to pay the duties on it for 18 some odd hours? Is that what we are waiting for with baited breath?

Yes.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

*tapping fingers impatiently on desk and stabbing for the nth time at F5* Any updates?

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

vegaji came out of the closet to say:
My opinion is that the Romania link is nothing important. He either got a username/password of a Romanian for some service (ebay or something), or he is using a Romanian proxy.

But I could of missed some information in the thread.

Let's all just hope we get some gratification, it takes hours to read through this entire thread.

I think it's a Romanian with friends in London who's doing it. I suspect that the balanpetrica username is relevant, too.

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

Dammit! Come on, Gianluca! Don't make your P-P-P-P-PowerBook wait any longer than it already has!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

quote:

skroll came out of the closet to say:

What if the Romanians are some big mafia-esque operation, and they kill the barbershop owner because they think he ripped them off?

Hilarity ensures!

Now, THAT'S what I call COMEDY!