Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

quote:

Lytinwheedle came out of the closet to say:
That is what you call a scam. Proper sites, of course, don't pull that poo poo, as they have a reputation to lose (plus they'll get sued).

Thank you for reading the thread first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

quote:

thesacrifice came out of the closet to say:

where you guys gonna go out to?

why? are YOU the scammer?

dun dun dun

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

quote:

Accipiter came out of the closet to say:
Well that makes sense I guess, but it seems like that'd be a pretty lovely system that you can't search by name. Thanks for the explanation, though.

Most local databases can be searched by name only. NCIC, and its Florida equivalent FCIC, require a name and date of birth. It might sound stupid, and sometimes it can be a pain in the rear end when it comes to searching for people. Everything that is run through NCIC/FCIC is printed. When a common name, such as "John Smith" is run, anyone with a warrant that has a close name or DOB comes back, and you get stuck listening to a dot matrix printer for 20 minutes. Now imagine Mr. Smith getting run and they ALL come back. The printer would kill itself.

Also, when you run someone, you have to verify that the warrant is for that person. Arresting someone incorrectly could mean a lawsuit against the arresting officer/agency. Once you establish that warrant=person, it has to be verified that the person is still wanted by sending a message through NCIC (works like a very official IM system).

Criminal histories work the same way as looking up warrants.

quote:

ChesterJT came out of the closet to say:

I guess they could try him locally in Iowa where that school is, but when you start crossing state lines, things tend to get a little "official" ya know?

I, for one, would not put my NCIC certification and job on the line to look this guy up. Anything on NCIC is NOT public record. I don't want the secret service on my rear end, and yes, they would be. Someone a few years back ran the president. Not 10 minutes later, someone from the secret service showed up wondering why they did that.

Also, I'll answer any related questions that I can.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

quote:

Not My Leg came out of the closet to say:

Just wondering if you would really get the same response by running random guy through NCIC as running the president. NCIC must have thousands of searches per day, it doesn't seem like any extra one would raise flags unless it was a major political figure or celebrity. I guess I am just wondering why they would take a particular request and investigate it, rather than just assume it is one of the thousands run each day.

Depending on how the entering agency put in that particular person's warrant or whatever, that agency has the option to have a notice sent to them (which is immediate) any time that person is run. Now if he is in Iowa, and I run him in Florida, I'll most likely get a phone call in about 5 or 10 minutes from whatever agency put his warrant into the system wondering why I had run him, and if I didn't have a good excuse, he could file a complaint and have my certification revoked. The gov't is pretty hardcore about that.

Stolen Vehicles work the same way. Occasionally it'll be a couple of days before a stolen vehicle is entered, and once I enter it, I get a list of every agency that has run the vehicle's tag , showing me which direction the vehicle is heading. It's pretty cool sometimes.

quote:

Which President and what did they find?

It happened a few years before I started working there, but I was told that it was Reagan and nothing came back. I guess when you're president that stuff tends to disappear.

DAT RAM fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 9, 2004

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

quote:

Dr.SchadenFreud came out of the closet to say:
Arise, thread! Today is the day!

Billy witch doctor dot com says:

Arise, thread, arise.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

quote:

MyNameIsJeff came out of the closet to say:
Here we go:

I say substitute one of the back of the p-p-p-owerbook! frames with the bluetooth mouse. I can't look at that and not laugh.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

quote:

MyNameIsJeff came out of the closet to say:

Sure, that would be cool. I downloaded it on another machine, and only some of the pictures showed up. Anyone else notice that?

Edit - I hit F5 and all of the pictures showed up.

I've made a PDF of it for you.

http://students.uwf.edu/cjg5/sa/thepowerbook.pdf

Unlimited university bandwith...go nuts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

quote:

Angelfck came out of the closet to say:
I found this on Metafilter and spent half the day reading this thread yesterday. I was on the edge of my seat even though I knew the outcome. Thanks for entertaining me on an otherwise normal Friday afternoon. I look forward to more threads where others try to scam the scammers. Sounds like a new game.

Excellent work MyNameIsJeff and the rest of the Goon Recon Squad.

Too late...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1049091