Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jan 23, 2002

Preface: While most of the people involved were goons, this was not a goon meet. The idea was raised at a goon meet to stage a Robot Protest. What would they be protesting? Who knows? They’re robots, it doesn’t have to make sense. That was two months ago. After three weeks of serious planning and hours upon hours of making costumes and signs, the day came.

If you’re not from Madison, Library Mall is the hub of campus activity. The Union is there along with all the food carts. Plus the Teaching Assistants are out on strike so they were picketing today. We had 11 costumes; 10 “normal” ones and one massive “serverbot” which was about 7 feet high. The goons in attendance (and forgive me if I miss someone) were myself, *is not edible*, racer j, NukeleR, b33fyr33t, interknot, warwick5s, Zhentar, and the_ruiner along with some random friends/colleagues. We ended up having one extra costume which we drug along with us and wrote “Spare Parts” on. We also took NukeleR’s boombox and pumped Kraftwerk through it as loud as possible before the batteries died. We had three signs, all hand done by myself which were random 1s and 0s and said nothing. We also had 120 half-page flyers which were just binary.

The night before we faxed this to both papers:

It was an amazing day. No clouds, 70 degrees, and a little windy so everyone was out. I’ve never seen the Union Terrace so packed. We set up and walked down State St. and onto Library Mall. Enter the pictures.

Here’s us first hitting Library Mall. That is Memorial Library behind us.

Here’s some guy who was wearing one of the “L33T LIKE JEFF K.” shirts from a bygone age. I have no idea who he is or where he came from.

We’re now in the rotunda between the Historical Center and Memorial Library. All Campus Party was going on so we were asked to leave. Without complaint, we left. You can see the serverbot well here and racer j tending to its needs.

We’ve now relocated to the area just off of where the TAA has set up its strike headquarters. The large building behind us is the Humanities building where the TAA was actually picketing. We moved there shortly after.

A robot has lost an eye! An eye patch was quickly drawn on to protect the illusion!

Oh Spare Parts robot, you’re a weight around our necks.

A robot gets feisty!

Even though the children love robots, robots don’t like children.

At this point we’ve moved directly in front of the TAA picket line. This picture just cracks me up.

That’s me on top of the concrete thing dancing to Kraftwerk.

Good shot of several things, especially my hot hot sign job.

It’s 1:30 PM and we’re heading to the Terrace for refreshments.

Nothing needs to be said about this picture.

Nor this one.

Or this one.

b33fy just pulled this off a Livejournal. After the terrace we walked back through the rotunda. We ran into Bucky and surrounded him. It was really neat if only because he played along with it.

Us heading home after a long day. Cars are honking as we are really close to holding up traffic.

This is just a really good picture.

Here are some random pictures:
Robots mulling around.
Mulling, mulling, mulling.
" , " , "
God bless spring.
Pretty good shot of Angrybot whose only job was to protect the Serverbot. Unfortunately his eyes fell off quite early on.

Someone from the Daily Cardinal asked for an interview. We sent him a fax about how “we can’t give you a full interview as our spokesbot has powered down for the evening.” The full text will be posted tomorrow.

More pictures to come and at some point we’re going to have the two hours of video that was shot edited down. This has already been posted on some Madisonite’s Livejournal:

quote:

so, there were a bunch of people in robot suits walking around on campus today. they had picket signs, much like almost everyone else today, and were handing out pamphlets, much like the ones being handed out by everyone else being all activist and such. except, these robots were listening to something resembling kraftwerk through a chinsey boombox, and their picket signs and pamphlets were in binary. being the civil minded person i am (robots have rights, too!), i went to the computer lab and took the 5 minutes to translate the binary on the pamphlets. it said:

"If you are reading this, then you are very stupid." repeated a couple times.
*NOTE* It actually says “If you are reading this you are really stupid.”

edit: VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO

quote:

b33fyr33t came out of the closet to say:
Mirror's are greatly appreciated. Livestock's bandwidth isn't infinite like his wisdom.

Madisonrobots.avi, 33MB DivX5.

--MIRRORS--

Madisonrobots.avi - thanks MAkev!!!
Madisonrobots.avi - thanks Vanilla!!!
Madisonrobots.avi - thanks dark_3y3!!!
edit: added pictures

edit post goldmine: removed a mirror

Avatar fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 7, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

thepartypooper came out of the closet to say:
I love the robot with the angry eyebrows! Looks like he has a lot to protest about.
The angrybot was the "protector of the serverbot." At one point some girl started screwing with it (pulling on the power cord coming out of the back) and we mobbed the bitch. There were no survivors.

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

Liface came out of the closet to say:
How does one translate binary to text?
http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php
This is the one that I used for the flyers.

quote:

Ditch came out of the closet to say:
Rest of series pls
I was floored by the good looking women there. Because I'm always in the college of Engineering where there's no women I may be out of touch but Jesus Christ there were tons of gorgeous women. Plus I could ogle them like objects because my face was fairly well hidden :coal:

Avatar fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 29, 2004

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

*is not edible* came out of the closet to say:
Someone actually asked if we were with the Young Republicans :lol:
Oh yeah, that's right! He was CONVINCED we were mocking the TAA.

The Terrace was beyond words. I've never seen so many people just stop whatever they were doing and just stare at us. A few people even started cheering. I destinctly remember "GO ROBOTS GO!" It was a girl too :cool:

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

Gothic Lolita came out of the closet to say:
ARGH how come I don't know about this!?!?
UW-Madison student
You should get on the midwest email list along with posting in ANY of the madison goon meet threads. We blanketed every possible source.

Jan 23, 2002

b33fy just pulled this off a Livejournal. After the terrace we walked back through the rotunda. We ran into Bucky and surrounded him. It was really neat if only because he played along with it.

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

danno came out of the closet to say:
Incidentally--wasn't it at that Russian restaurant where we hatched the idea for this?
It couldn't have been. I never made it there at the last goon meet. I think it came up while walking back to Davie's from Burger Time.

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

racer j came out of the closet to say:
Avatar (?) chasing someone down.
Yeah, that's me. I actually went on a SCUBA trip with that guy in the bahamas over winter break. He didn't take one of my flyers :(:(

quote:

*is not edible* came out of the closet to say:
What the gently caress, the Cardinal calls us asking for an interview, and then doesn't even give us an article? Bunch of jerks. Maybe actually giving them the interview would have been better. I still think we made the right decision.
I talked to Joe today. His actually wanted to do a full article on it and didn't have enough to go on. The editor just liked the "campus photo" of the velcro wall too. In any case I think we did the right thing.

edit: WOOO! A new avatar!! hehehehehe

Avatar fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 30, 2004

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

Myrddin Emrys came out of the closet to say:
I felt the need to post here, especially since the original poster's name was Avatar.

Also, :lol:
:coal: Avatar's avatar used to be pretty :krad: before I lost it too :(

HUGE props for the video b33fy!

Avatar fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 30, 2004

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

DiscoJ came out of the closet to say:
And what was the song? I thought it sounded pretty, obviously very fitting too.
It's some remix of Kraftwerk's The Robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

frumpykvetchbot came out of the closet to say:
Voted 5. loving hilarious. Post the secret robot construction blueprints so the Movement may spread across the globe to affiliates! Also, may we please have a desktop sized version of this?

The construction was easy. We just bought one "large" box and one "cube" box from U-Haul. Total cost = $4.50. Cut holes where they needed to be cut. Put tape where there needed to be tape. Paint.

I don't have a big version of that. That was sent to me by someone. I don't remember who.