Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colt
Nov 2, 2003
Directed by: Richard Linklater
Starring: Jason London, Wiley Wiggins, Sasha Jensen

Dazed and Confused is a movie about the Juniors (soon to be seniors) and eighth graders (soon to be Freshmen) at Lee High School in Austin, TX in 1976. The movie focuses on Randall "Pink" Floyd (played by Jason London) as the school's football quarterback, and Mitch Kramer (played by Wiley Wiggins). The story in the movie takes place over one day, basically throughout the last day of school, the hazing for the incoming freshmen, and driving around and partying later on.

I personally think that this movie is hysterical, and it's a movie that has to grow on you. My favorite character in the movie is Wooderson, played by Matthew McConaughey, a simple man who graduated a few years back but can't seem to escape the high school lifestyle.

This is a great movie to watch at parties and with your friends, with lots of memorable lines. Hope this is a good enough review, I'll revise it if I can come up with anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icemakor
Sep 11, 2000

I saw this movie for the first time 2 weeks ago. I really liked it. I was expecting some tragic evet near the end, like a death from driving while drunk.

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
Ben Affleck is also in the movie, typecast perfectly as an arrogant school bully. I enjoyed this movie also. There's not much of a plot - stuff just happens but the characters and situations are fairly comical.

Kase
Jun 24, 2003
MEN, 50 OF YOU ARE LEAVING...25 AIN'T COMING BACK!

mr brown
Feb 26, 2003
Mr. Brown? That sounds too much like Mr. Shit.
Something about this movie makes me feel good just by watching it. Great film.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I really like this film too. It's pretty incredible how well it holds together despite the fact there really isn't a whole lot actualy happening in the film. A lot of the performances really shine through too, also in contrast to the relative lack of material they are provided to work with. That's Linklater's style though, and more power to him; he certainly knows what he's doing.

jest
Mar 23, 2001
This is one of my favorite movies ever, depending on occasion. It doesn't have much of a serious plot, as it's all just about how kids are just having a good time. The hazing scenes are hilarious, added in with all the stereotypes of kids makes this movie a a truly great film. It's like the perfect idealistic vision of what a high school experience should be. Don't miss it.

lordjuicy
Jul 18, 2002
I WILL QUOTE YOUR POST WHICH IS TRUE AND THEN DECLARE IT TRUE SO THAT ALL MAY BEAR WITNESS THAT I, LORDJUICY, HAVE SEEN AND APPROVED OF THE TRUENESS OF YOUR POST AND AM HENCEFORTH AND HEREWITH ALERTING EVERYONE TO SAID TRUTH
This is an excellent movie, and makes me envious to the time that it is set in. High school just isn't fun anymore.

Edit: Weed sucked back then, though.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
i loved how almost every kid in that movie had like the sickest muscle cars built in the 70's. except for that lovely bug and big reds wagon.

that's white lightning over there, you see the shoes shes wearing? you gotta get some tires on this thing man, you got dang ole pizza cutters man.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
This film was one of Matthew McConaughey's best. Oh, and the rest of the film was hilarious and makes me reminisce. We all had those nights that seem to never end and you're still drinking/smoking at sunrise.

Melly Gloworm
Sep 20, 2003

she invites-- nay, implores-- you to explore every inch of the fucked up haunted house that is her face
After hearing so much about this movie, I finally went out and rented it. Although it captured that "perfect highschool" feeling well, there were so many different characters that I felt the movie was absolutely saturated, and I found it difficult to care about any of them in the end, and was unable to put a name to any of them in the end.

I specifically found the main character to be arrogant to the point of irritation. The freshman kids were good, it was nice to see actors who actually looked their ages, rather than some of the seniors. The boy did an especially good job, I loved how impressionable he was when riding with the older kids.

Despite the overwhelming amount of characters, several enjoyable plot threads kept the movie watchable and the eventual weaving of all of the characters together was nice. The movie is probably worth a viewing just to see actors like Ben Affleck, Matthew McConaughey, and Milla Jovovich, among others, in some amusing roles. I also really liked FAH-Q for some reason, hahahaha.

3/5, mainly because I just didn't give a rat's rear end about any of the characters in the end, except maybe the freshman kid.

Kase
Jun 24, 2003

quote:

Neil Armbong came out of the closet to say:
This film was one of Matthew McConaughey's best.

I thought his character was messed up. It seemed like he was an rear end in a top hat loser but it portrayed him as being the cool older guy that everyone likes.

ogm
May 20, 2001

This is one of my all-time favorite movies. I have seen it more times than I can remember, and still there's something that always brings me back for another round. First DVD I bought, and the last DVD I'll ever get rid of. Strange thing is, I probably couldn't tell you why it's so good. There's not much of a plot, and the characters are numerous and not fleshed out enough to be really interesting. Basically I think it boils down to just it never failing to make me wish I was there in the middle of it, drat that seems like the best night ever. Just having a good time with your buddies until the sun comes up (and then heading of to Houston for some bitchin' Aerosmith tickets).

L-I-V-I-N'

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
This is definitely one of my all-time favorite movies. I can't watch it enough. It's one of those movies, that regardless of lack of plot and lack of really deep characters it just gets better with age I think. It's just fun and brings back memories of high school. I have lived through so much of the same stuff that it seemed like the movie was just a scene plucked from reality. As I finish this short opinion on the film, I think I will go watch it again.

4.5/5

scaryguy
Sep 28, 2003

"I like these calm little
moments before the storm.
It reminds me of Beethoven."
This movie is an absolute classic, except for that kid who kept on touching his loving nose.

4.5/5

Thought this was kind of interesting, the personal website of Wiley Wiggins (the nose touch kid).

http://wileywiggins.com/

JRock
Sep 19, 2000

by Fistgrrl
As said above, an absolute classic. Few movies make me feel giddy and grin through almost the entire movie. It's such a great movie, filled with hot muscle cars, babes, and classic lines every movie buff should know.

This literally is one of my absolute favorite movies and gets a 5.5/5 from me, I believe the first I've ever given out, and I can't think of any other movies I would willingly give that to right now.

quote:

I thought his character was messed up. It seemed like he was an rear end in a top hat loser but it portrayed him as being the cool older guy that everyone likes.

It sounds like you're confusing two characters - Wooderson and the rear end in a top hat guy with the primered gray car who gets paint dumped on him.

"It'd be a lot cooler if you did!"

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I really didn't like this film much. It felt contrived and way too forced. 2.5

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

An honest and engaging look at high school life (specifically in the 70's, but with some universality). However, I have some complaints. First of all, way too much effort is put forth to make the period "authentic." Yes, yes... it's the 1970's, I get it. No need to beat me over the head with it. Secondly, almost all of the actors are playing 4-5 years younger than their true ages, and at that age it makes a BIG difference. Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but I get very distracted when someone obviously in his/her early 20's is supposed to be 17. And that kid with the overalls and the bushy as hell eyebrows is so ridiculous looking. It's a fun movie with some insight, but it's got problems. Rating: 3

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dazed and Confused is one of my all time favourite films, and I have definitely watched it more than any other movie. I can't quite put my finger on why I like it so much, I just know that watching it when in a particular mood really cheers me up.

It's basically 'That 70's American Graffiti', and although it does make a big effort to 'look 70's', it's not making fun of the era. There's no 'lol weren't flares funny lol' bits. It's all pulled off nicely and is very authentic

The plot (or lack thereof) is refreshing; we get to see a large number of mostly unrelated characters, but it's all tied together just tight enough. It's a bit like Linklater's other film Slacker, only this time we get to round back to the characters as the day progresses.

It also has one of the best soundtracks and use of music in any film.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Great, funny, memorable movie that should rouse up nostalgia in anybody who ever attended high school. I love how Linklater makes movies from mundane, mostly universal experiences. This and Slacker are in my Top 20.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
actually, thats huntsville texas, not austin.

it is a really good movie, probably one of the best ones ive seen on the "high school" type movies. many many hilarious scenes, great actors, just overall a great movie.

what makes it even more enjoyable is that one of my friends dad is pink in real life. and he says that pool hall where they hang out at is still the ONLY thing to do in huntsville.

pretty fricking good movie, giving 5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
This is, without a doubt, the most thoroughly accurate depiction of high school life ever put on film.

A fine film, and a solid effort by the phenomenal Richard Linklater.