Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries
Directed by: Richard Linklater
Starring: Jack Black, A Bunch of Kids

As a fan of Jack Black and Tenacious D, I intended to see this movie from the moment I first heard about it. I thought it was a pretty good idea, and that it would be a funny, if not great movie.

Even so, the movie exceeded my expectations greatly. This role was written for Jack Black and I doubt he will ever find one more suited for him. The kids are fantastic at their instruments, and they are even passable actors. The soundtrack just adds to the movie, especially if you love classic rock as I do.

I was a little disappointed that KG was not in the movie at all, but the always hot Sarah Silverman does a great job in getting the audience to hate her as Patty.

Watching the quiet and uptight kids (especially Summer) transform into a cool rock and roll band is especially fun and provides a strong plot for Jack's wacky antics to follow.

I'm giving it a 5, as it was probably my second favorite movie of 2003, and my favorite comedy in quite a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I really liked this movie. Jack Black is awesome, and the classic rock element made me giddy.

Needed at least a cameo by KG though.

4/5

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
I'd definately have to agree with Quick Stop on a lot of points.

Probably one of the best comedies of 2003.

What's the deal with people voting 1 in nearly every review?

Goobergop
Mar 18, 2002
Sorry. I'd have to disagree. Fell asleep during it and want my money back from Blockbuster. I really can't put my finger on it. Oh wait maybe it's that Jack Black plays the SAME airheaded spaztastic douchebag in EVERY movie. Can't understand why I didn't enjoy it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

This movie was awful. I went in wanting to enjoy it, actually excited, and it became an awful thing I had to endure because I was not the driver. Besides the asian keyboard player, there was not a character I did not want to punch in the throat. If you like kidz bop, where an adult with questionable talent sings someone else's songs while sacchrine children provide vocal back up, then by all means watch this movie.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Generally, I find kids in movies to be irritating as poo poo. And although not horrible in this one, I still found most of them irritating.

I did enjoy the music though.

I'd have to give it three stars, as it was pretty entertaining, but not my type of movie.

snotlegz
Jan 11, 2003

Someone bought me this account, so if I better not get banned.
For whatever reason, I had really low expectations for this, but was throughly impressed by how funny it actually was. As stated previously, Jack Black fits this role perfectly. The soundtrack is also fantastic.

Hooka
May 2, 2004
Hi my name is Hooka and this is my towel.
I was very dissapointed by this movie. After hearing such good reviews from various forums it turned out to be a huge let down. This was definetly Jack Black's worst role.

Colt
Nov 2, 2003

quote:

The Grapist came out of the closet to say:
What's the deal with people voting 1 in nearly every review?

Some people have nothing better to do and don't want movies to be rated well for some reason.

Anyways, this movie is pretty funny, and I agree with Quick Stop's point on the great soundtrack. It's kind of a predictable story line, but it's a lighthearted comedy that provides some good laughs.

4/5

aarontxwl
Apr 21, 2003

I work in a little music shop and I've had a shitload of little kids coming to buy guitars because School of Rock kind of inspired them. loving cool if you ask me. :quagmire:

Fiaxx
Nov 8, 2003

Wednesday is my rag day.
I would describe this movie as cute. It's true, Jack Black does tend to pretty much play the same character he usually does, but it didn't get on my nerves. It had a few good laughs in it, but I thought it could go more into depth. Maybe focus on the kid's lives more or something. This being said, I'm glad I only paid rental price to see it and got what I expected out of it: something to pass the time.

I'm going to rate it a 3/5.

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

I didn't think the movie was funny, per se, but it wasn't awful either. It just struck me as sort of a bland, formulaic kid's movie. I realize that it had to appeal to kids (and their parents), so the jokes couldn't be very edgy, but I'm not a kid or a parent, so it just felt watered-down.

2/5 = 'meh'

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I found it to be a typical stupid-people-doing-stupid-things and lying and covering it up the whole time. I HATE imposter movies. Waiting for the poo poo to hit the fan is tedious. On the other hand, predicting which scene it'll go splat can be fun.
Standard retarded Jack Black bullshit. If you like that sort of retardation (new word) than this'll work for you.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I saw this movie the first time when it was called Sister Act 2. Sorry but it's a big cliched piece of poo poo.

There weren't hardly any jokes, the plot was telegraphed from the beginning, and the kids didn't rock out as much as the Sister Act kids in part 2.

Could have been way better with better writing and a different non-cliched plot. Oh Jack Black, how the mighty have fallen. This movie just felt very bland and dumbed down. Believe it or not, you can write comedy without being edgy.

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

quote:

SymfonyMan came out of the closet to say:
I saw this movie the first time when it was called Sister Act 2. Sorry but it's a big cliched piece of poo poo.

I've never actually seen Sister Act 2 but I have seen its box.. and I'm pretty sure you are 100% right. Good call.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
I saw this movie with my mom and it was great.

I'm glad this movie was appealing to all ages

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
edit: gave too much away.

This is like a rocked-out update of the Music Man + the talent competition scene in Revenge of the Nerds.

Disappointing, but if you're already a fan of Jack Black's Tenacious D persona, you're going to watch it anyway.

Might be a good dvd to take with when babysitting; plant the youngsters in front of this and keep them quiet for 90 minutes.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 4, 2004

Skroob
Dec 18, 2001
I can't make decisions! I'm a President!

quote:

Binary Logic came out of the closet to say:
ps there's no way in hell that some duct tape and foam can soundproof a classroom.
Because the realism in this movie was fine except for that part. (Wouldn't they check up on "Ned" a little more before setting him loose on a classroom of 10 year olds?) Guys, you gotta suspend disbelief a little for these movies!

I think I'm just a big sucker for musical movies, because I just gave a glowing review for Blues Brothers and I'm about to do the same for this. I'm not a huge Jack Black fan, but I thought he was good. A little over the top at points though. The kids were good actors, but GREAT musicians, and the show at the end was really good. All in all, I'm saying 4/5, because I loved the music.

Duckrasta
Sep 21, 2002

The hunt is on
Your life is gone
Castratikron
Never was much of a Jack Black fan, but I did enjoy this film. I took my little sister to see it, didn't expect much, but we both liked it. Just some nice, light-hearted comedy.

Oh, and at the end, my 10 year old sister forgot all about Britney Spears and was dancing and singing to AC/DC. Thank you, Jack Black.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Just finished seeing this for the first time - I really enjoyed it. Liked the `family tree of rock', though I took issue with certain aspects of it ... (can you say `retentive'?) The criticisms of it espoused thus far are justified, but for me they miss the point. It's just a fun knockaround movie and I watched it because I wanted some mental bubble gum. Can't get over how much Jack Black tries to be Jack Nicholson though. Oh, and Joan Cusack is just cool. (I love that accent too, where in the States is that from?)

Voted 4.

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
One of the best PG-rated movies I've seen in years probably. It was a blast seeing all the small little references to bands along the way.

4/5

Ramen Soup
Mar 17, 2004
Chicken finger gourmet
It started out kind of slow and took a little time to develop, but once it did it was hilarious. I thought that seeing the kids playing hard rock would make me cringe at the cutesiness but it was surprisingly funny and I found myself actually interested in them. But what really makes this movie is Jack Black. He is what makes this movie awesome. It does drag at parts though and sometimes it seems as if it's just constantly repeating the same joke over and over. However, seeing as I am a Mel Brooks fan, I enjoy the same joke over and over again told in different ways.
4/5

Keenmachine
Apr 27, 2004

The elephant is happy because he's between two foxy ladies
This movie is a LOT better if you know your music. There are so many tiny, tiny references to hilarious music things along the way. Plus that bass player.

5/5 I laughed all the way through

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Oh noes!

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 13, 2011

Bun Bun
Apr 7, 2002

Fear The Bunny
I had some really low expectations going in to see this but came out the other side very impressed with this movie. Not only is it hilarious but the story keeps you entertained as you eagerly await the next bump in the story line. Just a really good "feel good" movie that everyone i think can enjoy.

4/5

willjo3
Mar 5, 2004
superfluous asshole
That movie was crap! First of all, the part was written for jack black, for a subdued, g-rated jack black that doesnt really seem to work. Tenacious D is funny as all hell, but most of thats due to inappropriate humor.

i hated the movie so much i turned it off halfway through...

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
This movie is too reliant on you finding Jack Black funny and charming at face value. I don't even think they wrote him any jokes, they just threw him out there and expected him to pull laughs out of his rear end. Thoroughly lame movie.

Two.

repoman
Apr 26, 2004
I saw this in the theatres when I got out of court for a speeding ticket early.. but told my boss I had to go in after lunch because there were alot of cases so I wouldn't be back to work that day :)

I love the movie. I buy maybe 5 DVD's a year and this is one of them. Nothing really amazing about it. It's a simple easy going movie that doesn't have any 'dead-time'.

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
This is the role Jack Black was made for, it IS him. He plays it well, he only seems to do so when the role is written exactly for him (actually I think this is the first time that that has happened). That being said, it's not the best movie in the world, and it doesn't try to be, it's just a good fun time. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, even though it was so stupid, far out, impossible, etc. I give it a high rating because it had me laughing and I wasn't bored the entire time.

4/5

FofR
Aug 25, 2003

Rise up in the cafeteria and stab them with your plastic forks
I watched this with my neighbour a few weeks ago. I know it is meant to be a sort of kids film with a pretty basic plot, I went in knowing this. That said, I figured I would outline my plot prediction for the movie when it started, to my horror my prediction was spot on, everything I had said held true. I know this is meant to be a kids movie, but that's not gonna stop me ripping the poo poo out of it.

I should state that if I can see how the writers are structuring the next comedy element, I'm not going to laugh. It is the equivalent of them telling me "We are going to make you laugh in a moment, and here is how...". The film was riddled with predictable jokes and humor elements. This move was far too predictable, it was a rehashed Sister Act 2 formula minus the good heart, the entertaining kids and the comic genius of Whoopi Goldberg. It's not as if they went so far as to provide an interesting character. They are all generic stereotypical children/teachers/house mates/parents, the prissy know it all girl, the oppressive father, the wuss boyfriend and his hyped up mega bitch girlfriend. Each one annoying in their own unoriginal unique way.

Jack Black, who I have only really ever liked in High Fidelity, was a massive disappointment as per usual - his no brained antics were not only annoying but also completely ridiculous. The notion that teaching a group of well educated do-gooder kids how to perform in a rock concert in secret within a limited time period is absurd in itself. These kids would recognise him as the flunky he his and report him, it is insulting to intelligent kids everywhere that these top level child proteges fall for this hook line and sinker. And even if they couldn't, the principal would have checked up on this 'dodgy newcomer' more often, cross referenced him and asked for a photo id. Otherwise it's slightly scary that any paedophile could get a job like that and start enjoying his free time with fee paying little girls.. The irony of this idiotic waste of a human being surrounded by these 140 IQ average kids is stupendous and calls for Office like comedy, it is cringeworthy and requires the influence of Ricky Gervais for comedy effect. But the fact that all these children are taking this man seriously just sickens me. To add insult to injury, if you're in a band that is consistantly trying to make it, trying to break free from the local scene and at least get a following; this movie is an insult to all things you have tried. It suggests that it is easy to make music people enjoy, it is easy to get a sell out gig and it is easy to get a crowd cheering your name (which, considering the crowd that would be present at a local battle of the bands, would be unlikely). It angers me to see decent bands struggle and this atrocious movie laugh at them in their ignorance

I'm all for a good kids movie, but when the morals it teaches and the characters it portrays are lacking and the lessons to be taught are all 'phony' ones, I don't. I love my rock music but I can't stand all that rock-save-the-world all that matters is rock piss-rear end attitude towards it. STICK IT TO THE MAN.

Pros: none
Cons: Predictable plot, characters, laughs, sentiments and Jack Black

Read Between The Lines
| THIS MOVIES SUCKED |

FofR fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 14, 2004

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
What's with people taking this movie seriously? You're complaining about a lack of realism in a movie like this? You're complaining because you object to the film's lessons, which last I checked the film didn't even claim to have? What the gently caress?

This movie was a lot of fun. It's fluff, but it's funny fluff that somehow works and avoids cliches. I don't understand how everyone claims it's so formulaic considering 1) Jack Black and Joan Cusack don't fall in love, 2) Jack Black never gets involved in the kids' personal lives, 3) there are no morals or lessons learned, unless you count jokey barely-serious notions like "rock and roll will save the world", 4) there's no scene where the parents apologize to Jack Black or hire him as a full-time teacher or some stupid bullshit like that, and 5) the kids don't even WIN, all of which are things I expected to happen. It's still a predictable story of course, but for christ's sake not everything has to have a Charlie Kaufman script.

Fun, funny, great music, lots of subtle music-based humor, and the kids are awesome and act like actual kids for once. 4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Formulaic but reasonably funny. Jack Black is kind of a one-trick pony, isn't he? Always plays the boorish slob who's oblivious to his own flaws. It'd be nice if he tried to branch out a little. Rating: 3