Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries
Directed by: Todd Holland
Starring: Fred Savage, Beau Bridges, Christian Slater, Luke Edwards and Jenny Lewis

What can I say about this movie.

It was a 100 minute long commercial for Nintendo. It marked the first ever American appearance of Super Mario Bros 3. It featured the Power Glove. It's no masterpiece, but having grown up with this movie, it remains one of my favorites to this very day.

Jimmy Woods is a troubled child. His twin sister drowned when he was young, and his parents split up. He doesn't talk much and is pretty nerdy. But he has one thing going for him. He is loving amazing at Nintendo Brand video games. Jimmy and his brother Corey (Fred Savage) run away from home and head out towards the Nintendo Championships in California.

Along the way they meet up with brash street-smart young red-headed Haley (Jenny Lewis.) Some weird chemistry develops between the three as they make their way to California, dodging the private investogator hired by Jimmy's mom, and Jimmy's father and step-brother who are trying to find them first.

They meet Lucas along the way and Jimmy gets psyched out by his mad power glove skills. They train and try to restore his confidence and eventually make it to the championship where it all ends.

It's nostalgic and great to me, and I'm giving it a 5, though if seen for the first time now, I'm sure it would not be nearly as well rated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
To be quite honest, I remember loving this as a kid (I think many for the Nintendo stuff), but now, I can't remember a single thing about the movie (except for the Super Mario Bros. 3 parts. HOW THE gently caress DID HE KNOW ABOUT THE WARP WHISTLE?!?)

I need to get a copy of this movie.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If you haven't seen this movie already (as a kid), then you're not going to like it at all. I did, I enjoyed it, and I can watch it from time to time, but even with nostalgia clouding my eyes, I still have to recognize how absolutely bad it is. Nostalgia is the only reason someone could sit through this movie, so I'm rating it in the way that would be useful to someone who would use the rating as a guide as to whether to see this movie for the first time or not.

One star.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I remember watching this many times on TV as a kid. Even at that age I was doubting how Jimmy found the warp whistle, and it kind of dragged for me at that age about 3/4 through. It's probably a pretty stupid movie, but since I watched it at such a young age, it's impossible for me to tell now. At the time I liked it because it was about a kid who just wanted to go to California and play Nintendo.

"california"

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 5, 2004

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.

Megafoo
Jan 30, 2003
Maynard is God
love this movie

Evil Adam
Jul 18, 2003

He's very good.
I took a vacation to California in January. My girlfriend got really mad at me for repeatedly quoting the little kid (in his voice) "Caaaaaallllifoooooornia!"

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Voted 5 for nostalgia alone. Ok. For nostalgia, and the guy in a bright orange jumpsuit. Does that make me a bad man?

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

This movie was horrible. I remember seeing it the theater, hand it wasn't even good enough to make fun of. A giant shameful commercial for Nintendo. The Power Glove line is funny, but teaching girls to pretend to be sexually abused is pretty irresponsible.

Shii
Feb 18, 2004

by elpintogrande
This movie is a camp classic. I only rate it 5/5 because it's the sort of stuff that I love to see on XE; there's really nothing good about it other than the hilarious premise, i.e., one big Nintendo commercial.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The best bad movie ever, except for maybe Showdown in Little Tokyo.

I will now take this opportunity to start The Official Spanky Fan Club:

http://www.raspberryheaven.net/~boco_t/spanky.jpg

http://www.raspberryheaven.net/~boco_t/spanky_touch.jpg

I even made this really lovely image macro to go along with the screencap:

http://www.raspberryheaven.net/~boco_t/spanky_touch_macro.jpg

Melly Gloworm
Sep 20, 2003

she invites-- nay, implores-- you to explore every inch of the fucked up haunted house that is her face
If this movie ever comes on at a party, everyone will shut up and watch and laugh their asses off. It's the most ridiculous movie ever made, and it's really just a huge commercial for Nintendo. I did, however, remember it from when I was a kid, and seeing it now at 21, I find it immensely enjoyable simply based on the hilarious nostalgia factor.

Besides, nothing beats an entire room of people chanting "USE THE WARP WHISTLE" along with the singer from Rilo Kiley. How loving awesome is that?

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
When I watched this movie again recently and I saw one of the characters playing Ninja Turtles I immediatley recognized the level. It really makes you wonder how far back you can remember because of that god drat underwater level in Ninja Turtles.

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe
Like everyone said, this is nostalgia to the max. It was really great when I was younger, too. But really, how the hell did he know about the warp whistle? Pssssh... I give it a 4/5. Not the greatest movie in the world, but enjoyable on many levels.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
havn't seen this movie in years... but I loved it as a kid. So the kid in me is voting 4. I would vote 5, but i'm still bitter about not owning a power glove.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
What is there to say about this movie but 'Greatness'. As a kid seeing Super Mario Bros. 3 for the first time, I was awe-struck. What a great movie.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

quote:

Kerpal came out of the closet to say:
When I watched this movie again recently and I saw one of the characters playing Ninja Turtles I immediatley recognized the level. It really makes you wonder how far back you can remember because of that god drat underwater level in Ninja Turtles.

the underwater level is easy. I could never figure out the one where you drove around in the turtle-van and went in buildings and poo poo.

Manic Shampoo
Feb 9, 2004

Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale!
Not quite a 5* movie...it's still a fun campy movie. To really like the movie you had to live through the Nintendo era.

GB888
Jan 28, 2004

The GB stands for "Great Boobs".

quote:

Boco_T came out of the closet to say:
I even made this really lovely image macro to go along with the screencap:

http://www.raspberryheaven.net/~boco_t/spanky_touch_macro.jpg

Brilliant. I request a macro of the guy saying, "Oh. My. Godddd..." right after Spanky said that.

Great movie. Rated 4 out of 5. Is this movie out on DVD yet? It seems like one of those ones that would be like, $6 at Target.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The movie bombed big in the theatres, but Nintendo worked out a deal with Universal that got them a shitload of money. Lots of free advertising, basically. Smart on their part, for sure, but the movie is still pretty much crap.

I don't rate it 1 simply for "I love the power glove. It's so bad," though I can't rate it 5 because it is such a bad ripoff of Rain Man. Rated 2.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I loved this movie when I saw it as a kid on opening day. Now that I have seen it again as an adult, my hat's off to my dad for sitting through this crap. It's slightly funny due to the crass marketing, and it's kinda campy and fun to recapture my Nintendo love of the 80s, but this really is a horrible movie.

The announcer during the big competition gives one of the most annoying and hamhanded acting jobs of all time. Just painful.

1.5/5, would have scored worse but it still has a bit of nostalgia value.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I grew up during the 80s, but never saw this movie until something like 2003. Despite the fact it's an atrocious movie, and essentially an hour and a half of advertising, there's something I find goofy and appealing about it. Fred Savage, Christian Slater, a 13 year old girl screaming "he touched my breast" as essentially a slapstick sight gag -- that would never happen in a movie today.

Anyway this movie is no "Super Mario Bros.: The Movie" but it's got go go 80s nostaliga to the max or something and I'll be pretty darned generous and give it 2 stars.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Absolutely awful movie, but in terms of marketing propaganda for video games, it does a much better job than any "video game movie" could manage. I wonder if Beau Bridges even defeated the Mecha-Turtle.

Two.

Fishes&Cream
Aug 6, 2004

by Mayor Wilkins
hilariously bad movie. i loved it when i was a kid for the same reason i love it today. what an incredibly bad concept for a movie. when i was old enough to find out the reason they would make such a ridiculous movie was advertising rather than some hilarious random twist of fate, i was pretty annoyed, but my enjoyment for the movie remains. 4.5

Nutrix
Oct 20, 2003

hey mister can i try some of your pot?

quote:

The Grapist came out of the closet to say:
HOW THE gently caress DID HE KNOW ABOUT THE WARP WHISTLE?!?)

Come on guys, don't you remember that in many other Nintendo games, some secrets are off screen...usually hidden where you think the game screen doesn't go. I usually made it a point to look off-screen for secrets in most NES games I played. So if you were an avid player it wouldn't be uncommon to search for secrets above walls in Mario.

couscous out the wazoo

Hexum
Jul 23, 2003

I loved this movie. It was a pillar of my childhood, and I rented it all through elementary and middle school. Then it just fell off the face of the earth. Nobody has it anymore, and they have discontinued making copies I am sad to say.

I give it a 4.0

StankCheeze
Aug 4, 2003

Use racial slurs in AI?
Ban.
Actually racist?
Ban as well you whiny fucking bitch.
I loving LOVE this movie. Everything late 80s-early 90s and nintendo all wrapped up into one. Nintendo pretty much sucks now but ruled back then.

Crystalbaud
Nov 29, 2002
Priceless for nostalgia value alone for many Nintendo-punks like me from the late 80s :) There's something about the scene where the girl punches Fred Savage when he's wearing the monster mask and it spins sideways that will ALWAYS have me cry with laughter.

mynie
Sep 16, 2002

by HELLTANK
This movie sucks in every way, shape, and form. I remember thinking that it was a cinematic masterpiece when I was 7 and I can understand why those of you who haven't seen it in ten years might feel the same way, but I beg you to find a copy and see for yourselves how horrible it is.

It's so bad it's funny. I can't give it points for that, though.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
i love the powerglove. its so bad.

4.0 for nostalgia, powerglove, and 'he touched my breasts!!!!'

fake edit - i think just about everybody found out about one of the mario 3 warps because of this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This movie is one of the few that can bring me back to a simpler time when I watch it. It takes a rare movie to do this. Sadly though this movie isn't a brilliant epic like I would have wanted to remember it as.