Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Directed by: David Wain
Starring: Michael Showalter, Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce, Paul Rudd

I think this movie slipped under a lot of people's radar. This is a perfect spoof/homage to some of the 70's/80's comedies like Meatballs and Porky's. You might reconize most of the cast from the old MTV skit show "The State" and has some stars like Garofalo and Pierce.

Basically, the plot of the movie is that it's the last day of summer camp and the film focuses on certain campers/counselors who want closure to the summer. It's pretty simple as that... I'd rather not get into each and every story... but some include your typical love triangle... a cook getting in touch with the person he really is... and a 35+ year old art director falling in love with a camper.

I'll be honest, this is my favorite movie ever... when it came out on DVD, my friends and I watched it every weekend, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a weekend... hell, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. I can't even fit the rest of the cast in the space given above... other reconizable stars include Molly SHannon, Christopher Meloni, Amy Poehler. Awesome movie. 5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoomzip
Aug 31, 2001
uprock
Absolutely hilarious, and the alternate DVD audio track with "more farts" is like the cherry on top.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
This is the movie that was recommended to me by a goon who I can't remember (thank you very much, whoever you are), and I have subsequently recommended it to more goons than any other movie. It's loving amazing, perfect, and hilarious. I've watched it well over 20 times and I love it more and more each time.

5 out of 5

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

This movie is a consumate comedy. The humor is random as hell, the actors are all at on top of their game, and the spoofs of classic summer camp movies are all well done.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I almost never watch deleted scenes, but on this movie, they're absolutely fantastic. Some of it you won't get unless you've seen the stella shorts, they're a bit inside jokey, but the rest are great. I'd buy this DVD twice if I had money to waste. Just once will do though.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Arg. loving hated this steaming pile of stupidity. Jeaneane Garafalo gives me erections for days and I still hated it. Comedy was too far over the top for the most part and acting was sub-sub-sub-par.
Thank god I got it on Netflix.
1/5

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I could do without Molly Shannon, but the rest of the movie was pure gold.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I like 'The State', whose members are the core of this (and now 'Reno 911'). However, too many of the sub-plots here just aren't remotely funny. There are great moments, and Christopher Meloni just steals every scene he's in, but as a whole it seems underachieving to me.

3.5/5, worth a watch to see if it hits you the right way, and most of you will at least enjoy it.

ogm
May 20, 2001

I read half this thread, then I watched the movie. Everyone who said it was awesome is correct. I loved it in every way. It managed to be a spoof and a real movie at the same time, something quite unusual. Also, it was loving hilarious. It felt like there were a ton of things going on that you miss the first time through, so it's off to eBay to buy the DVD for me.

HPopper 2.0
Jul 14, 2001

I loved The State and I like Reno 911. Wet Hot American Summer was... OK. About half the jokes worked, about half didn't. They just sort of throw a ton of gags at the wall and see what sticks, which works in sketch comedy but doesn't work well as a movie. So it gets a 3, plus an extra half point for a handful of very memorable and hilarious scenes, so... 3.5. Worth seeing, not worth buying. I wish the troupe would make another movie, now that they've had some experience with it. They might learn from their mistakes and make something even better.

HPopper 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 11, 2004

bgack
Jun 7, 2002

rambo
This movie sucked rear end and was hilarious at the same time, highly enjoyable. more movies like this need to be made. 4.5!

"Robert"
May 24, 2001

The Go-To Guy for Kitten Pics
more farts. MORE FARTS. THERE'S AN ENTIRE ALTERNATE AUDIO TRACK THAT JUST MIXES FARTS INTO THE EXISTING AUDIO.

4/5.

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
As a huge State fan (the last MTV show that was worth anything), I really enjoyed this movie. Some people I've recommended it to, however, just don't get it. I don't think that someone who doesn't understand the humour that was The State could enjoy this movie. That being said, this movie made me laugh harder than any other movie in a long time. Great comedy, one of the best I've seen in my lifetime. Just seeing Ken Marino in those short shorts...wow, hilarity ensued. I recommend it, even though you will probably not like it if you don't have this type of humour.

5/5

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!
hmm I guess this movie was over my head because I am not really familiar with summer camp movies which it spoofs. I do vaguely remember watching meatballs to see some tits when I was younger tho.

edit: I didnt really enjoy this movie either

Chop Suey fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 7, 2004

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.
An excellent satire flick. I especially enjoyed the parts where kids were tossed out of a moving van. Saw this one a couple of years back via a Divx rip at a friend's. Glad to see some other people have actually heard of it.

4.0/5.5

greenbeard
May 27, 2004
yeah, that greenbeard
Continuity was the only thing that even came close to bothering me, but the dialogue and actors more than made up for anything like that. Gene rules, the sweater fondling rear end mudder.

4.5/5

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

I found this movie to be dull and unfunny. Normally I am a huge fan of parody, but the humor in this film didn't suit me at all; to be honest I find the movies it parodies to be funnier. It was a chore for me to watch and I only managed to finish it after three subsequent viewings on television.

1.5/5

omgwtf
Nov 30, 2003
waht
One of the best comedies ever. Comedy gold, I'd say. The whole, "The state" cast and their jokes, just seem very timeless to me. Watching this movie, alot of people told me it was just another American Pie ripoff. Oh, how wrong they were. FOOLS.

On second thought, I think this movie wouldnt have been so good, if it werent done by "The State people". I dont know, maybe I'm wrong.

They should do another film anyways.

Jiffy
Feb 1, 2004
I MISS VOLTRON, WAI....
one of the most quoted movies amongst my circle of friends.

we sometimes got more pleasure watching other friends see it for the first time with us than watching it for the (insert random number) time.

seriously, as a super gay fan for The State, I totally adore this movie.

lunchtime
Feb 24, 2004
I love this movie, I think it is one of the best comedies of the 90's. In my opinion one of the worst jobs of marketing such a masterpiece. The cast is stellar and the all the life changing events happening within a couple of hours were awesome. My friends and I quote this movie non-stop and watch it all the time. I give this movie a 5/5

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

I didn't like it and I think I didn't like it because I don't think the people who wrote it had much appreciation of the movies they were spoofing.

If you dislike a genre, and you spoof it, you end up as coming off sort of elitist and "hey aren't we clever for making fun of this awful type of movie"

If you appreciate a genre for what it is, even if it is ultra cheese, and you spoof it, you're not picking on a weakling as much as you are having some fun at a friends expense.

These folks are just picking on a weakling and I suspect the idea is that it will be funny to the in crowd.

1/5

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Saw it today on Comedy Central, was pretty funny. I would watch it again, if it was one TV.
3.5/5

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Perhaps it's unfair to rate it since I didn't see all of it, but I doubt my opinion would change. It's sad to see ex-State castmembers doing something like this. I saw a few partsa while ago and liked them, but once I watched more of it I couldn't stand it. It's a horrible spoof and they basically threw in a couple of decent jokes to make up for the absolute horror that is the rest of the movie.

1/5

asspennies
Jul 23, 2002

Why, creating a mechanical British servant is no more eccentric than that tie you're wearing!
"Does she want to gently caress me? Because if she does, tell her I will. In fact, no, no, tell her I might."

With lines like that, how could you do any less than 5 stars?

You can't. 5/5. A true cult classic.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
Can of Vegetables: "If you wanna smear mud on your rear end, smear mud on your rear end, just be honest about it. Look Gene, I've never told anyone this before, but I can suck my own dick, and I do it a lot."

That's right, it says Can of Vegetables up there. If you saw this movie on TV and didn't like it, or you didn't see the whole thing, then you really didn't see the movie. I highly recommend picking up the DVD, and watching from start to finish. This is not one of those movies that you can just start in the middle and get.

That being said, the slow decline of the movie from plausibility to plain crazyness was great. And it was good to see the castmembers of the State working together on something that isn't Reno 911.

5/5

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
A classic. I loved the State and love this movie. There's a few misses (I have never liked and will never like the talking soup can) but that really comes with the territory. I've seen it 3 times now and I've been consistently laughing throghout the entire movie. I love the camp director and scientist's interaction (like when he snaps at her when they first meet), and there's dozens of memorable quotes/jokes -- the drug binge, the gay shack sex, Neil, and on..

catboy
Jun 21, 2004
I like cats
the gay scene is the rawest ever! Just when I thought it was safe to look at the tv again the scene was still going strong.

liquid.pleasure
Jan 13, 2004
My uncle's beard tickles
Horrible, unfunny, predicatable clichéed humour, bad BAD acting..

Possibly the unfunniest movie i've seen in my life..

dead in a motel
Sep 10, 2000
My friends and I watched this nearly every day in the summer. I love MIB/David Wain/Mikey Show. Check out stellacomedy.com for more of the same, and some faces you might recognize from WHAS.

5/5.

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?
I saw this movie before I knew anything about stella or all the other projects, and loved it. It's what got me into stella and the state.

The movie has so many good lines and just completely random gags, In my opinion there isn't an unfunny thing about the movie. Everything is just so perfect.

badtitties
Nov 23, 2001

The greatest survivor
that ever lived...

:911::911::911::911:
I absolutely loved this movie. It was hilarious. The first time I only saw the end and I was really confused, it definitely isn't a movie you can only watch a part of.

The drug binge and the whole Molly Shannon/Camper parts were my favorite.

I highly recommend this movie if you have not seen it yet. It's really weird and random, so go in with an open mind.

5/5

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Buzzcut posted:

more farts. MORE FARTS. THERE'S AN ENTIRE ALTERNATE AUDIO TRACK THAT JUST MIXES FARTS INTO THE EXISTING AUDIO.
Actually, it's recorded over the audio, which you can plainly tell toward the end when the actors making the fart noises can no longer contain themselves and start giggling on the audio track, partially muting what's being said onscreen.

I watched this on some lovely laptop while pulling guard duty, I could only make out every other word, but it was still funny, so I watched it again and caught all the stuff I missed the first time around: STILL FUNNY, and the can of vegetables was a brilliant touch that had me laughing for minutes. Then, when he rolls out the fridge and Gene humps it...that's comedy.

Still, some of the time, I don't think they went far enough with the jokes, and I kept waiting for random violence inflicted on children a la "Freddy Got Fingered," but the closest we got was Paul Rudd's neglect bits. It was hilarious to see them throw a dead child out of a van, but I wanted more in that regard.

4.5/5

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
This is a must-see for any fan of The State or Stella. The humor isn't for everyone but for anyone who gets the movie is absolutely hilarious. I've watched it a half-dozen times and it still gets me rollin.

5/5

plainclothes goth
Jul 15, 2001
Paul Rudd gives the greatest comedic performance of the decade.
5/5

Sooner_Matty
Dec 13, 2005
I enjoyed this movie. I watched it at a summer camp that I worked at with the staff on the last day of camp. We wanted to know why we didn't think of funny stuff like that!

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
The first time I watched it, I thought it was hilarious. After that, I saw it again and realized that a lot of the jokes are cringe-worthy, and the gay sex scene is just awkward and out of place. It's a great movie, and I love Janeane Garofalo, but a lot of it feels forced. Also, Molly Shannon is terrible in this movie and every movie I've seen her in. She's just way too over the top.

3.5/5

faustcf
Jun 1, 2004

My beard! I broke my playoff beard!!
One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Too many great one-liners to even count.

5/5

Dubber
Sep 11, 2001
HORRIBLE POSTER, SELF-OBSESSED POSTER.
I was expecting this movie to be much funnier than it actually was, I was waiting for a chance to laugh and it never came. I loved The State, and especially love Stella but this movie didn't make me laugh unfortunately. I would give it a 2.5/5 stars for lack of humor and a waste of a great cast.

Dubber fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 20, 2005

gorb
Sep 24, 2002

Worthless Piece of Shit
Funny but not THAT funny. 3.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanshnook
Mar 3, 2004

Any idiot can be complicated.
This is one of only a few movies that I can watch over and over again. 5/5