Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
Directed by: Kinka Usher
Starring: Ben Stiller

Directed by: Kinka Usher
Starring: Ben Stiller, WIlliam H Macy, Geoffrey Rush

Billionaire Lance Hunt is Captain Amazing, the fairweather defender of Champion City. Ben Stiller, William H Macy and their motley crew are the "other guys", the under-appreciated superheroes who try to make a living by helping their fellow man, but fail miserably.

However, soon, Casanova Frankenstein, played to maniacal perfection by Geoffrey Rush, escapes from the asylum by seducing his psychriatrist, and kidnaps Amazing. Our heroes must overcome the odds and take Captain Amazing back before the city is destroyed.

To do that, they'll need to enlist the help of a few extra men... and a woman.

Pretty good movie, I got this for free as part of a promotion, so I obviously don't regret my decision :).

William H. Macy is dependable as always, and the various crime groups are good for a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
I thought Mystery Men was better than a lot of people gave it credit for, but The Specials was a much better superhero spoof.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't think this movie was anything special, or even decent, for that matter. It depended on a bunch of rehashes of tired old gags and retarded set-pieces. Actually, if I was going to compare this film to any others, it would probably be Batman and Robin.

Plus, the part where Amazing buys it really really disturbed me when I was smaller.

Crazy Newbie
Dec 11, 2002
I was gonna post a review of this - it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

"When you doubt your powers, you give power to your doubts."

..."Don't you find his sayings a bit...formulaic?"

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
It was a good movie, but lost points from me because it had the potential to be great and it seems as if the movie just wasted it.

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

quote:

Lowtax came out of the closet to say:
It was a good movie, but lost points from me because it had the potential to be great and it seems as if the movie just wasted it.

Truer words I haven't seen spoken. This movie had amazing potential, and yes, was a good movie, but ruined so many things. For example, as stated above, when Captain Amazing gets turned inside out, I was fairly grossed out. I never expected that from a movie like Mystery Men, and I saw it at the tender age of 18.

The other opportunity wasted was of course, Casanova Frankenstein, and his death. You build such a great and wonderful character, and then kill him? Oh, why?! It made me sad, and the movie was lowered in my eyes.

Then again, Hank Azaria was funny as hell in it. I give it a 3/5.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Most tend to scoff at this movie, but I liked it.

4/5

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I hated this movie on first sight. Far from the worst ever, but well worse than your average action flick. "Gay" is the word that best describes it. Maybe it was trying to be gay, but if it was, I didn't get the joke. 2/5

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
To me, it's similar to another spoof, Galaxy Quest: great to brilliant cast choices, lots of really memorable and quotable lines, plenty of laughs and accurate zingers at the genre...but the villain takes the farce too far, and the ending is a letdown.

4/5; better than average, and it stands up to repeat viewings.

smirkingrevenge
May 8, 2004
Furries: The Other White Meat
I just about killed myself laughing at the theatre. Some very funny moments in this movie. Unforgettable line:

-"Weapons check: Pull my finger!"

5/5

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
This can certainly be a hit or miss. I liked it enough to give it 4/5, but your mileage may vary.

Lisa Marie
Apr 3, 2001
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
I saw it in the theatre when I was little. It's been awhile, but its in my memory as one of the worst films I've ever seen. From what I remember, there were tons of "battle" scenes and little plot. Jokes weren't as funny as I had hoped. The movie SOUNDED like it was going to be great. It was disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudo
Jul 18, 2003

space cat
One of the few works of the great Kel Mitchell. I'm always hoping that he can make a comeback.

4/5