Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Directed by: David Lynch
Starring: Sissy Spacek, Richard Farnsworth

This is probably one of my all time favorite movies. The plot is pretty simple, Alvin Straight is an old man who has severed relations with his brother, but finds out that he's had a stroke and now must make the trip to see him. The only problem is that he can't legally drive a car, and he's retarded daughter(played by Spacek) also can't drive. So he does the only reasonable thing, he drives 300 miles on a riding lawnmower. The trip is basically the meat of the movie, no crazy plot twists, no weird freak out Lynch moments, just beautiful landscapes, simple people and simple conversations. Probably one of the highlights of the film(besides from the ending) is the conversation Alvin has with another aging man in a bar about ww2, it's hard to explain the beauty behind it, but it just comes across super sincere.

I'd just like to sum it up by saying that this is a kind of movie that can really touch you on an emotional level, and it's not through some hackney plot twist, or obtuse emotional manipulation, rather it's through simplicity and genuine sentimentality. Amazing that this sort of film came from a man who made a movie like Eraserhead...but at the same time it's not that surprising when one considers the work he did in the Elephant Man.

Edit: I should also note that Farnsworth gives an AMAZING peformance, considering he was a career stunt man. The emotions his face portrayed are astounding, i think he basically made the movie what it is, i can't imagine the Straight Story without Farnsworth. Oh yeah, and he died shortly after the movie was made....

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 3, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlaurosEnigma
Feb 14, 2002

Ask me about my Gap turtleneck.
while this movie is long and drags on, it speaks universal truths of brotherly love. There are all sorts of touching moments in this film, like the barroom chat with a fellow war veteran in which they talk about their lives.

Cinematographically, the colors in this movie stand out a little too much with bold Reds, Greens, Yellows, and Blues in a lot of the scenes - which gives you the feeling that it was done intentionally. SOme may like it and some may not. Some may not notice. Regardless, the directing is CLEAN.

This movie is very sincere, very honest, very true, and is your grandfather's favorite movie (or it would be if he saw it!). This would be the last movie I'd see before I die an old man just for the "life is complete, I'm ready to go" feeling.

in conclusion - pacing is slow, but the important thing IS the straight *story*, which is timeless.
5/5

aos
Mar 4, 2004
I came in expecting a Lynch film. I was disappointed in that regard. Nevertheless, it was among the most memorable movies I have ever seen. Something didn't exactly click with me though, perhaps it was the looming Lynch factor. In any event, it was a great movie.

4.5/5

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
I remember liking this movie as much for the fact that it was a non-crazy David Lynch film as for the fact that it's a genuinely good movie. Having grown up in rural southwest Wisconsin, I was also moved by the portrayal of small-town folks as real people instead of the toothless, gape-mouthed hicks more common in the film world.

The only complaint I might have is the acting quality from some of the small roles. Beyond that, the quality of the other usual film elements are up to the standard one would expect from a director of Lynch's caliber, and Richard Farnsworth's performance is nearly perfect.

Undersold
Oct 12, 2002

Join me for a glass of champagna
David Lynch is known for making some very surreal films that are often hard to understand. The Straight Story is one of his few conventional films. It’s based on a true story.

Alvin Straight (Richard Farnsworth) is an old man near the end of his life. He lives a simple life in a small Iowa farm town with his mentally handicapped daughter (Sissy Spacek) that he cares for very much. One day he receives a call that his brother who lives in Wisconsin has had a very bad stroke. Alvin decides he needs to visit him, but he doesn’t have a driver’s license and he doesn’t see very well. He won’t let anyone drive him. He leaves alone on his riding tractor mower for the 300 mile journey from Iowa to Wisconsin.

Along the way Alvin meets many strangers who are very kind to him and they exchange stories. As Alvin relates his story to these strangers we find out about his estrangement from his brother and his need to make the trip alone.

Lynch’s majestic shots of the countryside convey a sense of loneliness that parallels Alvin’s loneliness on his grand and unusual trip. Richard Farnsworth brings warmth and charisma to the role of Alvin. He waves kindly to people as he passes by on his tractor and we can’t help, but root for him. The exchanges between the various strangers give us a glimpse into Alvin’s history. These exchanges help to explain the real reason for his trip. It becomes clear that the urgency of the trip is the real Straight story and not the strange mode of transportation. It’s hard to believe that Lynch, a master of the macabre can present such a straightforward and beautiful story, but indeed he does.

5/5

Here's my blog with the same review and a few others if you're interested.
http://filmicbrevity.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/the-straight-story-david-lynch-tells-it-straight/