Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jc dracula
Nov 7, 2001
Directed by: Philip Kaufman
Starring: Sam Shepard, Scott Glenn, Ed Harris, Dennis Quaid

The defining moment is when the aborigines use their magic to keep the spaceship in the air. Anyone who wants to defend this movie should remember that I didn't make that up.

Very long and very painful biopic drama crap. Basing your story on true events is a double edged sword, in that no one's going to accept any of the minutiae of these supposedly real people's lives as accurate, and in that everyone already knows who lives, who dies, and how the drat thing is going to end from the start; the rest is a tedious trudge through the headlines to the end. Maybe in this sense it is more like a single-edged sword, with the one side having two types of edges on it.

American hero worship at its worst and most indulgent. The stars are the bravest of the brave because they're scripted that way. When you get to the end you feel like they're your best friends in the whole world, a couple of guys you'd really like to have a beer with.

A fine film for admirers of glorious courage, like old people and retards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalbaud
Nov 29, 2002
I think this movie is awesome. As far as biopics go, this is very well done as it is based on the book of the same title and stays true to the text. About the "hero worship" mention above, I won't argue that these characters are portrayed in that light, but in actuality (grandfather friends with Chuck Yeager) many of these test pilots were indeed very cocky and competitive throughout their lives. Duh, it's a movie and it may distort some truths about the characters personalities, but that's what happens. However, this film presents the history of spaceflight and the men involved with great care and accuracy, in my opinion.