Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Directed by: Eric Saperston
Starring: Eric Saperston, Kathleen Kelly, Dave Murcott, Paige O' Brien

The premise of The Journey is as straightforward as the title would lead one to believe. Saperston, unsure of what to do with his life after graduating college, buys an old Volkswagen van and travels across the country trying to get interviews with famous people. He picks up friends (Murcott and O'Brien) along the way, and even recruits a former MTV camera tech (Kelly) to help film what will later become this documentary.

The genius of the film is not in the premise itself, but in what the film ultimately accomplishes in trying to dissect the nature of parent/child relationships and the paths we take in life. Saperston's visit to his parents house unveils one half of this conceit, while a turn later in the documentary reveals the second half.

The documentary is not without its faults. I found myself repeatedly staring at my watch during the first half; however, the second half is both emotional and engaging. Catching this documentary in its entireity is well worth it, despite its shortcomings. I found myself tearing up at the end, when Saperston, and the viewer, discovers a purpose for the cross-country trek that is the majority of the film.

Again, The Journey is not a perfect film by any means. I adore documentaries, and gave this film a chance based solely on what I read on the back of the DVD case. There may be a reason why this is Saperston's only film (he dedicates most of his time now to speaking at colleges around the country), but you owe it to yourself to see this movie. Some may say the emotion in this documentary is largely forced, but it got me thinking about the direction my life is taking. At a time when so many films have tried get me to do the same thing, and failed, that's saying quite a bit.

Rating: 4/5
The Journey (2001)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210777/

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 3, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU