Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mroach
Dec 14, 2002

by Ozma
Directed by: Ron Howard
Starring: Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinse, Ed Harris

I enjoy movies more that are based on historical events as opposed to complete fabrications. I'm also a fan of sci-fi and the exploration of space, so this movie was instantly appealing to me.

It's a truly amazing story of the 3rd Apollo mission slated to land on the moon that went horribly awry after an explosion in the spacecrafts service module 3 days into the journey. The leadership and technical know-how of the folks at mission control and the three astronauts Jim Lovell, Fred Haise, and Jack Swigert; make for a miracle ending to this drama.

When you combine a great director, great actors, and one of the best "overcoming the odds" stories of our time, you get the masterpiece that is Apollo 13.

The attention to historical accuracy and meticulous research of events makes this movie all the better.

Tom Hanks and Ed Harris are awesome actors that really seem to know how pick projects that will really allow them shine, awesome.

You might also notice, that the real Jim Lovell appears in the movie as the aircraft carrier's captain at the very end of the movie.

5/5

PROS: Historical accuracy, realism, the story.
CONS: None that I can think of...

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112384/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fwiffo
Jan 23, 2004

Resident of Pluto
I thought this film was very well done, and listening to the real tapes of Apollo 13 after seeing it confirmed that it was fairly true to what really happened.

m5
Oct 1, 2001
If you listen to the Jim Lovell commentary track on the DVD (which I can't recommend highly enough), you really notice how much Tom Hanks worked on his character. He really got Lovell's speech habits down pretty well.

A fine movie about an event that shouldn't be forgotten.

mroach
Dec 14, 2002

by Ozma

quote:

m5 came out of the closet to say:
If you listen to the Jim Lovell commentary track on the DVD (which I can't recommend highly enough), you really notice how much Tom Hanks worked on his character. He really got Lovell's speech habits down pretty well.

A fine movie about an event that shouldn't be forgotten.

Absolutely! I'll have to heed this advice and watch it today. It really doesn't come as a surprise to me that Tom Hanks went the extra mile, he always seems to do that with historical movies, to make sure that he really tells it like it was.

Never forget indeed :911:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm a huge space nerd, and a Tom Hanks fanboy. This just cemented those feelings. 5.5/5.

asspennies
Jul 23, 2002

Why, creating a mechanical British servant is no more eccentric than that tie you're wearing!
A great movie where there's no evil dude to conquer or who's making things bad, it's just people overcoming adversity in one of the most foreign situations possible.

Plus, it's got Clint Howard in it.

Bun Bun
Apr 7, 2002

Fear The Bunny
I was crushed when this didn't win best Picture that year, but then again it was up against Braveheart. One of the best movies you can possibly watch, everything from the actors to soundtrack is top notch and the story is amazing even more so because it was all a true story. I think that this is sort of a "space nerd" movie, but the emotions and hardships that the characters go through to ultimately bring them back home has something for everyone. One of my top films of all time.

Ramen Soup
Mar 17, 2004
Chicken finger gourmet
I've always liked this movie because it tells a great story and doesn't try to be anything it isn't. It doesn't try to preach to us about anything, it simply tells the story like it happened. The acting was amazing, the soundtrack was great, and it really provided a good atmosphere. It can go from comedy to suspense in seconds. This was an excellent movie.

4.5/5

Nighend
Dec 5, 2003
I'm all about the swishy.
I think what makes this movie great is that it IS true, and that they had to overcome so many problems in order to succeed. There are some great performances, particularly Ed Harris as Gene Kranz. This film is very technical, but that's just because Ron Howard didn't want to insult anyone's intelligence. That's probably what I love most about this movie.

4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna N333UM
Dec 7, 2003

Winning (and passing Check-Rides) is better than sex.
I'm so glad they made a movie about Apollo 13, and did it so well. The fact that they built a set on an aircraft that did 0G flight really made the film. Everything visual was beleivable, which mixed nicely with the true story.