Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
Directed by: Paul Verhoeven
Starring: Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Kurtwood Smith, Ronny Cox

Robocop takes place in a future Detroit, which is apparently filled to the brim with violence and crime. A rookie cop, Murphey, is ruthlessly murdered and left for dead, but thanks to advances in technology his is given a cyborg body and a second chance to clean up the streets of detroit. Behind all that metal, Murphey is still alive... and he's out for revenge.

I saw this movie 16 years ago and fell in love. I mean, this movie just plain kicks rear end. Robocop is badass and even though the sequels were a bit lacking, this movie still stands the test of time.

However, it did really gently caress up my perception of the future. Robocop paints the picture of any place during the 80s.... except with robots. Well, it's 2004 and not nearly as cool as the 80s... and were are our crime-fighting robots???

4/5

PROS: robots, guns, and violence
CONS: causes major disappointment about what the future will be

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093870/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
There were a lot of films made during the eighties that cast giant corporations and businessmen as arch-villians, but most of them were pretty bad. Robocop is one of the few that succeed, with Verhoeven's trademark use of dark satire and over-the-top violence working to great effect in setting this film apart from the rest.

Darktaco
Nov 7, 2003
Darkest taco of them all...
It's a futuristic western, and I like it a lot.

5/5

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
I liked your first post better...

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 4, 2004

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
This is my favorite movie.

The style of the film is completely consistent - everything works well together, and everything looks like it belongs. Robocop's robotic body, ED-209, the buildings, everything is set perfectly.

The story is done well, corporate villains dealing with organized crime, a police force on the verge of breaking down, and along comes one 'man' to save the city.

As Darktaco said, it's a futuristic western, and it's awesome.

5/5

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I was only 11 or so when this film came out, and I was totally blown away by the sheer intensity of the action. I loved the compelling story, the sets, the syle, and the gorey action. As I got older, I began to appreciate the sharp, satirical aspects too.

A cracking good film, the works on many levels.

4/5

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
worth seeing solely for the "bitches leave" scene. great movie.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
at my school classes last 90 minutes, and at the end of every one i think "there's another chance to watch robocop flushed down the toilet"

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
This is the modern day Frankenstein. It should be required watching for high school.

4/5

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

quote:

CovetousCreatur came out of the closet to say:
[Bthe sequels were a bit lacking[/B]

Blasphemer! The trilogy as a whole is tremendously kickass.

Robocop1 gets a 4/5 from me.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I thought the robocop theme song was badass,
anyone know what it's called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

quote:

spfdz came out of the closet to say:
I thought the robocop theme song was badass,
anyone know what it's called?
"Main Title" by Basil Poledouris