Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esky
Apr 15, 2003
Directed by: Rob Cohen
Starring: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Rick Yune, Ja Rule

Fast and the Furious, The (2001)

Paul Walker plays an undercover cop sent to infiltrate a street racing ring suspected of recent high-speed robberies.

The movie is a lots of fun if you can look past some of the far out bits. You get to see some street racing action, when entire city blocks in the industrial sections fill late at night with souped up imports and crowds of fans. The 'elite' of the scene, vin diesel and his crew, are one of the racing cliques who later compete with paul walker as well as rival gangs in both illigal and organized events. All the while walker is tasked with finding the real criminals behind a recent string of crimes, however he soon finds himself falling for the suspect's sister. As walker grows closer to the team, he faces pressure from the cops to bust diesel, all the while trying to fight off other dangers of the scene.

It's easy to dislike the movie if you're a car enthusiast, as much of the automotive aspects are rather ridiculous. The cars diesel, walker and others race are tricked out with vinyls, body kits, nitrus, and sick audio/video systems. Obviousely a real race car, even upgraded from something like a stock dsm, will not benefit from having thousands in visual upgrades, and only lose out on the extra weight from entertainment systems, while nitrus systems will destroy any car not well built up to handle the extra boost.

But you will enjoy this movie if you let loose a little and accept that these cars have far more money put into them than the average car enthusiast could possibly afford. Like any action movie, it's a more idealistic representation of what really goes on, with the added suspense of a crime thriller.

What's better is that vin diesel's badass character has more than a few funny lines to quote long after the movie. You also get to see that ja rule is, in fact, a very little person.

PROS: Cars are cool, girls are hot, vin diesel plays a badass
CONS: Can't be taken too seriously, the girls don't get naked

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0232500/

esky fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 4, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solstice
Mar 12, 2002

Non-violent for the entire family!

quote:

esky came out of the closet to say:
while nitrus systems will destroy any car not well built up to handle the extra boost

But you will enjoy this movie if you let loose a little and accept that these cars have far more money put into them than the average car enthusiast could possibly afford
Nitrous oxide can be used safely on many completely stock drivetrains. Also, how much do you think vinyl and neons cost? I think you misspelled "stupidity" as "money."

Liked Vin because he's totally dreamy. Hated the rest. Voted 1 because there are so many things horribly, disgustingly wrong with this movie and I'm not even that anal. I don't ask for complete realism in my movies but if you're going to do a movie about cars/17th century England/Ebola, I'm going to have to ask that you at least have a cursory understanding of the subject.

The second one had a lot less stupidity in it, I think they learned their lesson on the first one.

PS: DANGER TO MANIFOLD

esky
Apr 15, 2003

quote:

Solstice came out of the closet to say:

Nitrous oxide can be used safely on many completely stock drivetrains. Also, how much do you think vinyl and neons cost? I think you misspelled "stupidity" as "money."

Liked Vin because he's totally dreamy. Hated the rest. Voted 1 because there are so many things horribly, disgustingly wrong with this movie and I'm not even that anal. I don't ask for complete realism in my movies but if you're going to do a movie about cars/17th century England/Ebola, I'm going to have to ask that you at least have a cursory understanding of the subject.

The second one had a lot less stupidity in it, I think they learned their lesson on the first one.

PS: DANGER TO MANIFOLD

If you get an '04 sti, I'm sure there are lots of things you can 'safely' put in it while it's stock. But when you're looking at a 9 year old dsm, rx7, or supra, those cars in good condition don't sell cheap to begin with, and would probably need a decent amount of money put in them. If you can afford to fix up and load out those cars with aftermarket upgrades, then you can probably afford to get a better car in the first place..

I really didn't like the second movie though, except for the azn chick. The elctromagnetic guns they had were totally retarded.. I hope they're not real?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

quote:

esky came out of the closet to say:
If you get an '04 sti, I'm sure there are lots of things you can 'safely' put in it while it's stock. But when you're looking at a 9 year old dsm, rx7, or supra, those cars in good condition don't sell cheap to begin with, and would probably need a decent amount of money put in them. If you can afford to fix up and load out those cars with aftermarket upgrades, then you can probably afford to get a better car in the first place..

I really didn't like the second movie though, except for the azn chick. The elctromagnetic guns they had were totally retarded.. I hope they're not real?

Got your back Sol. I really doubt you have much of a clue what you are talking about. What the fine lady before me said is simply that SA's(AI's) simply not a fan of ricers. Which is what this movie was all about. How using nitrous caused the floorboard of a GSX to come flying off is way beyond my understanding. Nitrous kits have been used safely for decades(I think) and unless you are putting 200 shots into stock engines at every stoplight, nitrous is a safe way to add power. What this all comes back to is the fact that I would not let any of these people "tune" my car as I would let Mike Tyson preform open heart surgery on me.

2 outta 5 for the movie. It's an action movie, the acting bleh, the cars and crappy, but it's still entertaining.

Solstice
Mar 12, 2002

Non-violent for the entire family!

quote:

TheFonz came out of the closet to say:
Nitrous kits have been used safely for decades(I think) and unless you are putting 200 shots into stock engines at every stoplight, nitrous is a safe way to add power.
150 is considered safe on a stock LS1. :cool:

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
This isn't AI you retards, just talk about the movie.

Fun to watch with your brain turned off, 3/5. Wouldn't watch it again though.

Ludacris
Apr 27, 2004
I like the film, it's underrated as an action movie.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
This is my nephew's favourite movie, so I watched it two or three times a week while in Australia. I grew to like it, and it doesn't hurt that Walker's main car is my baby (heart mkiv supras)

I enjoyed the movie for what it's worth, not as a classic piece of cinema history.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Hated this film. My friend is all "OMG I'm a freaking street racer, even though I keep smashing up my car because I'm a loving moron." So he brought it over and I watched it. I was not suprised that the acting was terrible, and the plot was boring. Cars driving real fast is not my idea of a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Served its purpose, which was to entertain me. I chuckled when the fly-through of the rx7 engine showed pistons.