Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
Directed by: Fred Schepisi
Starring: Simon Burke

I've made a resolution to bring some lesser known films to the forefront here an attempt to allow goons to see movies they would otherwise have no intention of seeing.

The first of these movies is a film called "The Devil's Playground," a movie centered around the life of a young boy who finds himself unfortunately mired in a catholic preporatory school in the process of becoming an ordained priest of the catholic church. The school preaches a great deal about the sins of the body and the eternal damnation of hell. The boys are required to shower with swimming trunks on due to the sinful nature of the flesh. In fact, the school has become so uptight even some of the Brother priests have come to feel trapped within the walls of their religion.

What follows are various jailbreaks from the pennance of forced religious duty. The film ventures in and out of sexually charged dream sequences and shocking sado-masochism. What is sometimes shocking is the niave nature of the boys, some lacking any hint of worldly sense and promptly going insane.

It's truly a unique film, especially for Austrailia, as it studies the nature of a born faith and the instinct that resides in all men. For those interested in some rather groundbreaking films, this is a good place to start, that is, if you're not uncomfortable with the subjects of pre-pubescent sexual exploration. I must admit some of it creeped me out, but what I got out of the film afterwords was a sense of a real experience and I thought that I'd like to share this with you.

RATING: 4

PROS: An interesting autobiography dealing with the problems of sexual repression
CONS: Perhaps the issue of sexuality and homosexuality among pre-teen boys is upsetting to some

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU