Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montez
Sep 15, 2003

Frog blast the vent cores!
Directed by: Terry Gilliam
Starring: John Neville, Eric Idle, Jonathan Pryce, Uma Thurman

Summary: In a town under siege from the turks, an old man appears and claims to be Baron Munchausen and the reason that the turks are attacking. He manages to convince the people to build him a hot air balloon to escape the city so that he can find his powerful servants, and with them return to defeat the Sultan and save the town.

To me, this is the best fantasy movie ever made. It's visually beautiful, has a sense of humor, great performances from the actors, and avoids the cheesy sentimentality and awkward dialogue that seem to go hand in hand with a lot of fantasy-type movies. This story is like a blend of the best parts of E.T.A. Hoffman, Grimm's Fairy Tales and the Arabian Nights, and the only weak point it really had for me was that Robin Williams psychotic babbling and facial spasms went on for a few minutes longer than they should have(which would be 0 minutes).

The only downside I can see to it is that it's pretty much all surface - there's no depth, no hidden meanings or themes. Going by Gilliam's other movies though I'd say this is by design, not accident, and that he just wanted to create a beautiful escapist fantasy movie. I think he succeeded, and also created one of the few movies of this genre that can be watched over and over. 5/5

RATING: 5.0

PROS: Beautiful visuals and cinematography
CONS: Not much going on beneath the surface of the film

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096764/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I wish I had seen this movie as a kid. I'm sure it would have scared the living crap out of me, but I think my appreciation for it would be more akin to what Gilliam was aiming for.

This movie has some of the most fantastic sets and costumes I've seen in a film, and is a great realization of the works Montez mentioned. I'm really looking forward to Gilliam's next film, the Brothers Grimm, after seeing what he did in Muchausen.

There is a little bit of depth to the film, but it works best in the context of Gilliam's Dreams triology. Time Bandits, the first film, is about the need for escapism and imagination in children. Brazil is about how adult life can steal away that kind of energy, and Muchausen is about how we see ourselves and our lives at their twilight.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Great movie, would be perfect if there was a Robin Williams free edit.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
This movie has always had a special place in my heart. It is easily one of Gilliam's best, next to Brazil. Sadly, I doubt it will ever be given the grand treatment that any of his other films have, for this film probably was the biggest headache for the director.

It does lack something about the middle of the film that slows it down, I have to admit. I think the main problem is that the Robin William's cameo comes too quickly in the middle. The segments inside of the giant fish or in the volcano can not compare to the sheer randomness of the scenes on the Moon, and thus the film drags a bit there. But that is one of the few bad things that could ever be said about this film, and all should see it.

Every drat video store should have a section labeled "TERRY GILLIAM FOR EVERYONE."

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
It's always an interesting experience watching a film you haven't seen since childhood. Images that have existed as shadows and dreams for 15 years are suddenly right there in front of you again. Sometimes they live up to those memories, sometimes they completely fail to do so. This movie was a little bit of both.

The thing is, the film I remembered didn't actually start until almost an hour into the film proper. The opening sequence with the play seems as if it lasts forever, then the Baron starts telling his story and we're thrown into an oddly unengaging vignette about the Sultan of Turkey (the "Torturer's Apprentice" was hilariously bizarre though.) Then we're brought back to the present and we gently caress around there for another 20 minutes or so before FINALLY we're on our way to the moon and the good stuff begins. Here is what I found so drat enchanting as a child: this movie is a storybook brought to life, where sets are made of cardboard, steam blows out of Vulcan's ears when he's mad, battleships are swung through the air by their anchors, and in one of my favorite shots of the movie space looks like a starchart as constellations swim and run across the sky.

The sheer beauty and inventiveness of these later passages are enough for me to give this film a 4, even though it's more of a 3.5. It's just WAY too long, with the first hour in desperate need of condensing. There were also a lot of confusing parts - the Baron and Venus start dancing for no reason, and I'm still not sure what the hell happened at the end.

Still, it's worth seeing for Gilliam's vision. 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

An enjoyable bit of whimsy from Gilliam. There were a couple of low points (Robin Williams rears his ugly head as the King of the Moon, Jonathan Pryce's oddball Dr. Strangelove impersonation) but on the whole it was a lot better than I expected, considering all the flak it seems to get. I'd rate it above Time Bandits, at least. The stunning production design is especially noteworthy. Rating: 3.5